Photo

Official Vocals thread (READ OP FIRST)

54148 replies to this topic

#49861 Clay

Clay

종인과 태일 사이

• PipPipPipPip
  • 9,967 posts
  • Location“I wanted to write down exactly what I felt but somehow the paper stayed empty and I could not have described it any better.”

Posted 03 March 2017 - 02:38 AM

Also I just noticed your sig https://onehallyu.com//public/style_emot...https://onehallyu.com//public/style_emot...https://onehallyu.com//public/style_emot...

If you search the thread, it's been said that Bruno Mars isn't very much of a technical singer. He can mix high, sure, but it's pretty much the result of using his throat and relying on tension to be able to mix that high rather than relying on good muscle coordination and breath supporthttps://onehallyu.com//public/style_emot...

stan Hao Yun Xiang

#49862 Messica

Messica

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 9,835 posts
  • LocationYour fave's lacefront

Posted 03 March 2017 - 03:43 AM

stan Hao Yun Xiang

your sig.

sweetie....delete itimstupid.png imstupid.png imstupid.png

#49863 Clay

Clay

종인과 태일 사이

• PipPipPipPip
  • 9,967 posts
  • Location“I wanted to write down exactly what I felt but somehow the paper stayed empty and I could not have described it any better.”

Posted 03 March 2017 - 03:56 AM

your sig.
sweetie....delete ithttps://onehallyu.com//public/style_emot...https://onehallyu.com//public/style_emot...https://onehallyu.com//public/style_emot...

uhm

#49864 abra

abra

Nation's First Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,220 posts
  • LocationSoju tastes sweet when your life gets bitter

Posted 03 March 2017 - 04:02 AM

throwback wednesday 

do you guys remember this mess?  https://onehallyu.com//public/style_emot...

Atleast the harmony at the end was nice

#49865 Jstarfully

Jstarfully

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 03 March 2017 - 04:11 AM

Oh you are right lol

I thought you guys just talked about kpop singers sorry

That slander to my favorite singer tho and i thought he was goodhttps://i.imgur.com/Gtlca1H.gif...

Just because someone doesn't possess divine technical mastery of their voice doesn't mean that you can't enjoy their singing hahaha

Plus Bruno Mars is pretty good when he's not overextending himself. Also, I think his signature song-writing style is the most amazing thing he has going for him, he's a crazy good writer and producer, although he does work with others of course.

#49866 Messica

Messica

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 9,835 posts
  • LocationYour fave's lacefront

Posted 03 March 2017 - 05:22 AM

uhm

He has really long proportions tho, like a model body

uhm

#49867 Clay

Clay

종인과 태일 사이

• PipPipPipPip
  • 9,967 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 05:26 AM

that's because he's a super model lmao

#49868 Avatarkyungsoo

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,608 posts
  • Locationbehind you

Posted 03 March 2017 - 05:26 AM (Edited by Kevin92, 03 March 2017 - 05:40 AM.)

she went for the B5 ya'll! I expected her to leave it to the backtrack haha

for reference on how she did:

02dcf75f6bd3999e2cb9fe85ab48cf6e?s=111&dahmin3

I would say I agree with you. I’d actually say the G3’s have a slightly lowered larynx but they’re pretty nice, it’s just a bit of a push that she could relax more upon. The D5’s seem slightly pushed with good placement, the 3:03 did seem like the best one out of the three! She’s using a bit too much throat to push, just a tad bit too much that she could relax on. The placement is really good, she just needs to pull back on the pushing a tad. 3:30 Oh she actually went for the B5.

#49869 Krapty Petty

Krapty Petty

Idol

• PipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 05:27 AM

Taeyonce slayed ha D5s & headvoice. Ended careers

#49870 Peaceful Namdongsaeng

Peaceful Namdongsaeng

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • LocationLOOΠΔVERSE

Posted 03 March 2017 - 07:28 AM

https://kpopalypse.c...ance/#more-7453

I'd really love to hear your opinions on this article. Thanks in advance!

#49871 blanc_imc

blanc_imc

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 08:34 AM

Pretty complete video of Yuju's showcased vocal range

#49872 swimgood

swimgood

B O S S C E O

• PipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Locationdykes for f(x)

Posted 03 March 2017 - 08:45 AM

a goddess 😭

#49873 Full Moon

Full Moon

bored

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 10:25 AM

Just because someone doesn't possess divine technical mastery of their voice doesn't mean that you can't enjoy their singing hahaha

Plus Bruno Mars is pretty good when he's not overextending himself. Also, I think his signature song-writing style is the most amazing thing he has going for him, he's a crazy good writer and producer, although he does work with others of course.

Of course i will still enjoy the amazing artist that bruno is and his singing toorlytearpls.png

#49874 jung jaehyun's boyfriend

jung jaehyun's boyfriend

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,908 posts
  • LocationEating Ice Cream with WinWin

Posted 03 March 2017 - 11:03 AM

Taeyonce slayed ha D5s & headvoice. Ended careers

#49875 AhMin

AhMin

Vocal MVP

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 03 March 2017 - 11:52 AM (Edited by AhMin, 03 March 2017 - 04:07 PM.)

I'm sorry but what opinion is there to give? This is an article written in a sarcastic disrespectful tone, from a physics point of view without a vocal knowledge nor understanding. He's not even taking a jab at us only, he's taking a jab at the whole concept of vocal technique and singing ability, as if singing technique wasn't important at all. That shows clear ignorance when it comes to vocal instruction. For someone who simply thinks that vocal technique isn't important at all he sure seems very passionate about debunking it but I digress. I hope he's happy and feels fulfilled while we lead our happy lives in peace.

#49876 Еli

Еli

† The Shady Bunch †

• PipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 12:01 PM

Dead @ them saying Vocals don't matter , then writing a whole Essay on it. :hurr: LMAO I Can't :lol:

#49877 jung jaehyun's boyfriend

jung jaehyun's boyfriend

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,908 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 12:40 PM

This person is a joke. He/she even had the nerve to bring in physics equations rolleyes.gif

clearly, the term "resonance" in vocal technique refers to something entirely different from the term "resonance" used elsewhere in physics... 

this person also probably doesn't even sing... i mean i've applied what i've learned about vocal technique from this thread and from the blog to my own singing throughout the years and there's a clear difference in improvement, not only when i hear myself back but i can actually feel it in my voice and in my body when i sing. 

i just skimmed through it but the general vibe i got is that this is some kind of high schooler who's learning the sound and waves unit in physics for the first time, and is using that as an excuse to bash vocal technique because his or her faves are too far down the ladder. oops!

#49878 galhadineas

galhadineas

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,176 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 02:39 PM

it's so weird how Yuju loses support when she sings D5, she sounds completely different ohdearplz.png

#49879 AhMin

AhMin

Vocal MVP

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 03 March 2017 - 04:14 PM

This person is a joke. He/she even had the nerve to bring in physics equations https://onehallyu.com//public/style_emot...

clearly, the term "resonance" in vocal technique refers to something entirely different from the term "resonance" used elsewhere in physics...

this person also probably doesn't even sing... i mean i've applied what i've learned about vocal technique from this thread and from the blog to my own singing throughout the years and there's a clear difference in improvement, not only when i hear myself back but i can actually feel it in my voice and in my body when i sing.

i just skimmed through it but the general vibe i got is that this is some kind of high schooler who's learning the sound and waves unit in physics for the first time, and is using that as an excuse to bash vocal technique because his or her faves are too far down the ladder. oops!

He's actually older than any of us.
"I started playing piano at a very young age and switched to guitar in my teens. I first performed onstage at 14 and by the time I left school I had my own band and was playing venues. At 19 years of age I started my own record label, recorded and released music by myself and others. I’ve been on several tours mainly with punk groups and have also been a radio DJ since 1997. Later on after doing music for a few years I decided to get some qualifications so I went to University and passed a Bachelor of Music (honours), and also completed a separate audio engineering degree. These days I make most of my music industry income from music teaching.

I’m not. However, I do think that caring overly about vocal technique in a genre of music where the benchmarks for success are Madonna, Elvis and The Spice Girls and everyone either uses generous helpings of electronic pitch-correction or sings to doubled backing tracks is a little ridiculous. K-pop is not opera. I understand that some people do like to hear good vocals and that’s fine (I can even relate, as I like to hear good guitar playing), but where I have an issue is when those people start to infiltrate popular taste and try to make everyone else hear music the way that they hear it and judge everyone on those terms. I come from a punk background where the drive to get up and give music a go and the strength of your idea is more important than the technicality of the end result. Technique should never be a barrier to performance or opportunity. I would never impose my technical guitar-playing knowledge on the general population’s taste as rule of law by saying “Kurt Cobain shouldn’t be successful because he can’t play guitar as well as Yngwie Malmsteen” because I think there’s a place for poor players with great ideas and/or a unique approach. Likewise I don’t want to hear anyone telling me that I shouldn’t listen to Bom just because there is also Ailee."

He's just someone who's not vocally trained, doesn't bother to understand what we do but does have a strong opinion that differs from ours. Without understanding vocal technique or our blog'a intentions, he disses it disrespectfully. He's entitled to his opinion, but maybe he could do it a more respectful way after doing some more research on vocal technique. Comparing vocal technique to opera clearly shows his ignorance.

#49880 jung jaehyun's boyfriend

jung jaehyun's boyfriend

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,908 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 06:53 PM (Edited by WinWin's Favourite Ge, 03 March 2017 - 06:55 PM.)

He's actually older than any of us.
"I started playing piano at a very young age and switched to guitar in my teens. I first performed onstage at 14 and by the time I left school I had my own band and was playing venues. At 19 years of age I started my own record label, recorded and released music by myself and others. I’ve been on several tours mainly with punk groups and have also been a radio DJ since 1997. Later on after doing music for a few years I decided to get some qualifications so I went to University and passed a Bachelor of Music (honours), and also completed a separate audio engineering degree. These days I make most of my music industry income from music teaching.

I’m not. However, I do think that caring overly about vocal technique in a genre of music where the benchmarks for success are Madonna, Elvis and The Spice Girls and everyone either uses generous helpings of electronic pitch-correction or sings to doubled backing tracks is a little ridiculous. K-pop is not opera. I understand that some people do like to hear good vocals and that’s fine (I can even relate, as I like to hear good guitar playing), but where I have an issue is when those people start to infiltrate popular taste and try to make everyone else hear music the way that they hear it and judge everyone on those terms. I come from a punk background where the drive to get up and give music a go and the strength of your idea is more important than the technicality of the end result. Technique should never be a barrier to performance or opportunity. I would never impose my technical guitar-playing knowledge on the general population’s taste as rule of law by saying “Kurt Cobain shouldn’t be successful because he can’t play guitar as well as Yngwie Malmsteen” because I think there’s a place for poor players with great ideas and/or a unique approach. Likewise I don’t want to hear anyone telling me that I shouldn’t listen to Bom just because there is also Ailee."

He's just someone who's not vocally trained, doesn't bother to understand what we do but does have a strong opinion that differs from ours. Without understanding vocal technique or our blog'a intentions, he disses it disrespectfully. He's entitled to his opinion, but maybe he could do it a more respectful way after doing some more research on vocal technique. Comparing vocal technique to opera clearly shows his ignorance.

I agree.

Like I said, I only skimmed through it because it was extremely condescending, ignorant, disrespectful, and tasteless, so I couldn't be bothered. But for someone so old and so "professional", the fact that I thought he was a high schooler speaks volumes to his character and his maturity level.

Nobody is stopping him from liking the singers that he does... if he likes to listen to Bom over Ailee, that's fine. I know a lot of people in this thread (such as yourself) that actually respect and like Bom. On the same token, there are also many people here (such as myself) that don't like Ailee's singing. Just because we find vocal technique important doesn't mean we don't appreciate other aspects of singing, such as tone, style, musicality, musicianship, and individual approach to music. These things are not mutually exclusive. In the same fashion that this person values other aspects of vocals, the blog is simply dedicated to technique. There's nothing wrong with that.

Opinions aside, his post was presumptuous, bigoted, and absolutely immature and nobody here should take him seriously. He may have experience of his own but one's qualifications only make you an expert in what you have studied, not in everyone else's field of work. He's criticizing what you do without even realizing that vocal pedagogy exists. So Matty and everyone else, just ignore him and keep the blog the wonderful place of learning and discussion that it is.

Up, Up and Away!