Official Vocals thread (READ OP FIRST)

• Please log in to reply
50873 replies to this topic

#49441 Shawn

Shawn

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 01:47 AM (Edited by CareBear29, 09 January 2017 - 01:48 AM.)

Thank you so much for this beautiful post and we all appreciate it a lot...but one thing just makes me feel a bit frustrated. I know I complained about this the other day and you're addressing a concern of mine but since you talked about us all working on the thread and on the blog, I'd appreciate it if you didn't leave out K and Haruko because they're a very important part of this team and I feel sometimes people forget that and it saddens me and it does upset them. You talked about not feeling appreciated and by you not mentioning them by name and mentioning me, it can be...you know...perceived as not appreciating them for what they do. So in the future let's all remember that we aren't here forever and we are trying our best to pass on what we know to all of you. Our aim isn't fanwars or petty rankings, it's to educate people on the importance of vocal technique and we all do it, all 3 of us do it and we all want it to be known, I want it to be known that they're a huge part of this as well and they work hard as well. ^ ^ Thank you again for your positive post and your intentions. 

"say something to all of the people working on this thread and the vocal page"

That right there should have been enough for people to understand what I mean. I understand where you're coming from but I can't possibly sit here and name everyone because I don't know everyone who works on the blog or thread. I just know there's more than one of you. I named you personally because I know you more and have had conversations with you more. You've learned a bit more about me than others on this thread and I see what you're going through on here and twitter. Since the first day I met you I've seen you go through ups and downs as well as a few past people that was here but I can't say the same for people you mentioned. Not to sound harsh but if people are going to take what I said the wrong way then that's their issue and not mine. What I tried to do was get you all to understand that you have some people out here that understands you and that you have those of us that DO appreciate what you do. I had no idea that my statement that was meant to be positive would be picked apart so much. I tried to write what I felt from the heart and also wanted you ALL to be able to look back and say that YES someone appreciated us and the hard work that we did.

#49442 AhMin

AhMin

Vocal MVP

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,816 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:31 AM (Edited by AhMin, 09 January 2017 - 05:10 AM.)

I think you need to have a chat with the people you learn your classical info from...there is a bit too much to correct here on the classical stuff and I am too tired atm

I don't know what it means to be raspy and "support" at the same time. PHS definitely does not have a "stable" larynx (if stable means neutral) for many of the notes here, like many of the lower ones. He also is not singing "chestier", he is certainly singing too dark but that does not mean there is more "chest".

I don't really know what you think on this but just to be sure, do you think PHS sings the way lower baritones like Hwanhee does and that's why he sounds like that here? Because Hwanhee just sounds the way he does cuz he is a lower baritone. PHS is singing noticeably darker than Hwanhee to sound like that in the clip. Also Whitney was a "chesty" singer to you right? So are you saying PHS is "mixing" like Whitney did in this clip? Because he isn't doing that either.

I've heard different things from different people and so if you could be so kind as to enlighten me and explain to me what I'm misunderstanding, that'd be greatly appreciated.

Raspy and supported, I meant he is using enough breath support and he isn't straining/tense, he just uses a stylistic sound that's not 100% proper, but not necessarily strain either. I wasn't clear enough on that but it isn't his best approach which is why it's not one of his best vocal performances at all. Many of the lower notes? You mean below F#3? I didn't refer to those at all but I agree with you. Chesty? When did I call Park Hyoshin chesty? I called Tey chesty, not Hyoshin.

I thought that but like you would have to be really like bad lol. Just making sure though we both mean strain, and not tension right? Ik tension can happen, but like strain... 

I mean I think it's possible but it'd be really...like someone with speech problems to be honest. It'd be really hard. 

"say something to all of the people working on this thread and the vocal page"

That right there should have been enough for people to understand what I mean. I understand where you're coming from but I can't possibly sit here and name everyone because I don't know everyone who works on the blog or thread. I just know there's more than one of you. I named you personally because I know you more and have had conversations with you more. You've learned a bit more about me than others on this thread and I see what you're going through on here and twitter. Since the first day I met you I've seen you go through ups and downs as well as a few past people that was here but I can't say the same for people you mentioned. Not to sound harsh but if people are going to take what I said the wrong way then that's their issue and not mine. What I tried to do was get you all to understand that you have some people out here that understands you and that you have those of us that DO appreciate what you do. I had no idea that my statement that was meant to be positive would be picked apart so much. I tried to write what I felt from the heart and also wanted you ALL to be able to look back and say that YES someone appreciated us and the hard work that we did.

Well since there are only 3 people really to be named, I wouldn't have thought it would have been an issue. I also understand where you're coming from, I just hope that you see how some people can feel underappreciated when sometimes their names aren't mentioned, that is all. I think it was just a misunderstanding that is all. I do appreciate what you are saying completely and I really deeply am thankful for such encouraging words and I hope everyone else can understand they're just as important even though you did not mention their names. 

#49443 Shawn

Shawn

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:40 AM

I've heard different things from different people and so if you could be so kind as to enlighten me and explain to me what I'm misunderstanding, that'd be greatly appreciated.

Raspy and supported, I meant he is using enough breath support and he isn't straining/tense, he just uses a stylistic sound that's not 100% proper, but not necessarily strain either. I wasn't clear enough on that but it isn't his best approach which is why it's not one of his best vocal performances at all. Many of the lower notes? You mean below F#3? I didn't refer to those at all but I agree with you. Chesty? When did I call Park Hyoshin chesty? I called Tey chesty, not Hyoshin.

I mean I think it's possible but it'd be really...like someone with speech problems to be honest. It'd be really hard. 

Well since there are only 3 people really to be named, I wouldn't have thought it would have been an issue. I also understand where you're coming from, I just hope that you see how some people can feel underappreciated when sometimes their names aren't mentioned, that is all. I think it was just a misunderstanding that is all. I do appreciate what you are saying completely and I really deeply am thankful for such encouraging words and I hope everyone else can understand they're just as important even though you did not mention their names. 

Okay how about this? I'm going to retract everything I said before and just say good luck to the blog in the future because at this point the fact that I didn't mention their names is becoming a bigger issue then I expected and it makes me think I shouldn't have made that message in the first place. The fact that their names weren't mentioned is overshadowing the message that I tried to send you all is really irking me at this point. It is not my responsibility to cradle people like a baby and nor it is your or anyone else's to cradle me as such. Once again good luck to all of you in the future. 

#49444 AhMin

AhMin

Vocal MVP

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,816 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:32 AM

Okay how about this? I'm going to retract everything I said before and just say good luck to the blog in the future because at this point the fact that I didn't mention their names is becoming a bigger issue then I expected and it makes me think I shouldn't have made that message in the first place. The fact that their names weren't mentioned is overshadowing the message that I tried to send you all is really irking me at this point. It is not my responsibility to cradle people like a baby and nor it is your or anyone else's to cradle me as such. Once again good luck to all of you in the future. 

I understand and apologize.

#49445 Kevin92

Kevin92

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,187 posts
  • Locationbehind you

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:57 PM

Let's just all be like nine muses fans and let Drama flop
https://youtu.be/0meMvE_7i1s

Jokes aside, there's been some tension the past days but we just have to remember that everyone had good intentions and that we appreciate all of it and let's just move on :)

In other news, Seohyun is getting her solo debut! Hoping she showcases the level of vocal technique she did during her gone with the wind musical lol
http://www.allkpop.c...-her-solo-debut

#49446 칼릴이

칼릴이

Idol

• PipPip
  • 436 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:59 PM

Jokes aside, there's been some tension the past days but we just have to remember that everyone had good intentions and that we appreciate all of it and let's just move on :)

In other news, Seohyun is getting her solo debut! Hoping she showcases the level of vocal technique she did during her gone with the wind musical lol

Omg that shade poor NM

#49447 Step On Me Lamisa

Step On Me Lamisa

† The Shady Bunch †

• PipPipPip
  • 957 posts
  • LocationQuahog, Rhode Island

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:10 PM

The teaser photos :rlytearpls:
raw
Prays for improvement

#49448 thien_than_dem

thien_than_dem

Trainee

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationVietNam

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:54 PM (Edited by thien_than_dem, 09 January 2017 - 10:54 PM.)

Hi everyone, she's my favorite singer. Someone please tell me her D5 in 3:33 and 3:35 is supported or not. It sounds very good to me. Can I call it D5s with strong support and resonance?

#49449 abra

abra

Nation's First Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,071 posts
  • LocationSoju tastes sweet when your life gets bitter

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:34 PM

speaking about mixing and classically trained singers not belting:

she's pretty much only singing in head voice right (with some chest voice)? it sounds more like church music than contemporary

Song-Jieun.gif

and if you don't mind, what is the note at 4:22? is it supported?

#49450 cynkdf

cynkdf

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:39 PM (Edited by cynkdf, 10 January 2017 - 11:40 PM.)

Hi all - my thanks to the good folks at KPopVocalAnalysis for their wonderful work. Upfront I must admit to having only one bias in K-pop - Hwang Chi Yeul, so I am really looking forward to reading his analysis sometime this year :)  Am somewhat worried about him because like many of his fans, I feel that his diet  isn't ideal for keeping his throat in great condition (he loves hotpot, Coca Cola).   Thoughts please on his Immortal Songs 2 performance of "Delight" by Jung Soo Ra. Many thanks in advance.

Song-and-dance performance - thanks to KBSKpop for the clip:

Audio only

#49451 AhMin

AhMin

Vocal MVP

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,816 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:52 AM

Hi all - my thanks to the good folks at KPopVocalAnalysis for their wonderful work. Upfront I must admit to having only one bias in K-pop - Hwang Chi Yeul, so I am really looking forward to reading his analysis sometime this year :)  Am somewhat worried about him because like many of his fans, I feel that his diet  isn't ideal for keeping his throat in great condition (he loves hotpot, Coca Cola).   Thoughts please on his Immortal Songs 2 performance of "Delight" by Jung Soo Ra. Many thanks in advance.

Song-and-dance performance - thanks to KBSKpop for the clip:

Audio only

Oh honey Hotpot and Coke aren't that bad for his throat, it's only bad if he eats that then goes to sing right away haha 

#49452 cynkdf

cynkdf

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:41 AM

Oh honey Hotpot and Coke aren't that bad for his throat, it's only bad if he eats that then goes to sing right away haha 

Hahaha - I am not privy to his actual movements but my guess is that he sings, then he goes and have hotpot.  Thanks for responding, AhMin!

#49453 AhMin

AhMin

Vocal MVP

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,816 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:43 PM

Hahaha - I am not privy to his actual movements but my guess is that he sings, then he goes and have hotpot.  Thanks for responding, AhMin!

Oh that's not a big problem, at least not a big enough problem. 

#49454 DanReborn

DanReborn

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,762 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:57 PM (Edited by DanReborn, 11 January 2017 - 04:40 PM.)

hey guys, I don't know a lot about harmonies so I don't know, is this harmony really good? I mean, I've never seen a group harmonizing like this and it sounds great lol

2:47

#49455 ParkHyoLee

ParkHyoLee

Idol

• PipPip
  • 344 posts
  • LocationEtobicoke

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:16 PM

hey guys, I don't know a lot about harmonies so I'd to know, is this harmony really good? I mean, I've never seen a group harmonizing like this and it sounds great lol

What even defines a good harmony :derp: It's a practiced harmony, I believe cmiir, so it isn't really super difficult beyond remembering which note you're supposed to be singing. It sounds pretty :ahmagah: Im not checking each and every single singer's note, but Im thinking theyre all a third apart from each other, which is musically acceptable

"Never seen a group harmonizing like this" Mamamoo? Destiny's Child? *judging hat*

Sent from my LG-D852 using OneHallyu mobile app

#49456 lepidoptery

lepidoptery

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,697 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:55 PM

What even defines a good harmony :derp: It's a practiced harmony, I believe cmiir, so it isn't really super difficult beyond remembering which note you're supposed to be singing. It sounds pretty :ahmagah: Im not checking each and every single singer's note, but Im thinking theyre all a third apart from each other, which is musically acceptable

"Never seen a group harmonizing like this" Mamamoo? Destiny's Child? *judging hat*

Sent from my LG-D852 using OneHallyu mobile app

Well, there are simpler and more complex harmonies, I guess.  I just find it odd that kpop fans are so impressed by harmony at all, though.  You realize if your school has a choir or glee club they probably do more complicated harmonies all the time compared to 90% of kpop groups, right? >.>;;;  A whole bunch of your peers and classmates can do all of this!

#49457 Indigo

Indigo

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 8,155 posts
  • Locationthe trunk of wonder girls car

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:16 AM

Well, there are simpler and more complex harmonies, I guess.  I just find it odd that kpop fans are so impressed by harmony at all, though.  You realize if your school has a choir or glee club they probably do more complicated harmonies all the time compared to 90% of kpop groups, right? >.>;;;  A whole bunch of your peers and classmates can do all of this!

because alotta groups can't  :dave:

#49458 AhMin

AhMin

Vocal MVP

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,816 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:14 AM

hey guys, I don't know a lot about harmonies so I don't know, is this harmony really good? I mean, I've never seen a group harmonizing like this and it sounds great lol

Nothing that DBSK, 100%, DGNA, Vromance, Mamamoo, Spica, Kiss&Cry, Matilda or even Gugudan haven't done to an extend. 

#49459 abra

abra

Nation's First Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,071 posts
  • LocationSoju tastes sweet when your life gets bitter

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:41 AM

reminds me of this girl that can harmonize by herself

(although iirc isn't resonance basically the same thing)

#49460 kimchi-nyoen

kimchi-nyoen

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,984 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:55 AM

I've seen people here who said that MJ wasnt a good vocalist.. 

But on this site http://www.criticofm...el-jackson.html he is discribed as a great vocalist one of the best.. 

200.gif

Up, Up and Away!