Photo

East London Mosque demands apology for ‘Allah is gay’ placards at Pride in London

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
40 replies to this topic

#1 Piclik

Piclik

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:42 AM

Screen-Shot-2017-07-14-at-16.41.27_640x3

Pride in London has been accused of Islamophobia after anti-Muslim signs allegedly appeared in the event’s parade.

Secularist group the Council of Ex-Muslims of Britain (CEMB) caused controversy by marching in the July 8 event.

Now leaders from the East London Mosque have accused organisers of igniting hate by allowing the group.

Screen-Shot-2017-07-14-at-16.40.53-650x3

Placards bearing the words “Allah is gay” and “F*** Islam” appeared in the parade, according to photos from the day.

Screen-Shot-2017-07-14-at-16.40.30-650x3

Muslim leaders have condemned the decision to allow the signs – insisting they have a good record on LGBT rights in London.

East London Mosque spokesman Salman Farsi told the Evening Standard: “We’ve raised a complaint with the co-chairs of the event that the group was inciting hatred against Muslims, and in particular [in relation] to our good name, based on absolutely groundless reasons.

“Our track record for challenging homophobia in East London is quite well known,” he added.
“For us to see such a mainstream event that is supposed to celebrate tolerance and love used as a hate platform was really quite shocking.

“One of the signs said ‘Islamophobia is an oxymoron’.

“Our religion doesn’t promote hatred or homophobia.

“Yes, there might be theological topics dealing with homosexuality in Islam, but that’s clearly very separate from promoting hatred and homophobia,” said Mr Farsi.

Mr Farsi is now demanding an apology from Pride bosses.

The ex-Muslim group, made up of “non-believers, atheists, and ex-Muslims”, was one one of the official parade groups for this year’s Pride march.

The event was also attended by openly Muslim LGBT groups, as it has been in previous years.

cemb-pride-650x434.jpg

20 activists from CEMB attended the event with a wide range of protest signs.

Maryam Namazie, spokesperson for the group, insisted they were not being Islamophobic, but highlighting persecution of LGBT people in Muslim majority countries.

“At Pride, we were highlighting the 13 states under Islamic rule that kill gay men – 14 if we include Daesh-held territories,” she told the Standard.

Ms Namazie also insisted that the signs did not say “F*** Islam” but “F*** Islamic homophobia”.
“In my view Islam, like all religions, is homophobic. Why is it not possible to say this without fear of reprisal or accusations of Islamophobia?

“Pride is full of ‘God is gay’ and ‘Jesus had two fathers’ placards as well as those mocking the church and priests and pope, yet hold a sign saying ‘Allah is gay’ – as we did – and the police converge to attempt to remove them for causing offence.”

Speaking to PinkNews ahead of the Pride in London march, Ms Namazie said: “One of the problems is the use of this term ‘Islamophobia’.

“It gives the impression that criticism of Islam or the political Islamic movement or Islamic State is akin to bigotry and racism. What we’re saying is that it isn’t.

“We’re obviously opposed to bigotry ourselves.

“We need to stand up to racism and bigotry and at the same time we should be able to criticise religion and the religious right… people should be allowed to criticise without threat or intimidation.”

Namazie added: “When you can be killed for leaving Islam, for renouncing it, for criticising it, it’s important to say what you are as a way of challenging those that want to see you dead.

“It’s very comparable to the gay rights movement and to the demand for LGBT rights.

“People would say, ‘It’s your sexuality, it’s your business, why are you coming out into the street and putting it in everyone’s face? Why can’t you just privately be gay?’.

“The point is if you’re discriminated against, if you can be killed for it then coming out is a form of resistance, it has to be done as a way of challenging the status quo.”

#2 Queen's Mine

Queen's Mine

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:44 AM

:lol: they will "executed" like Charlie Hebdo.

#3 Rohan Kishibe

Rohan Kishibe

Heaven's Door

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,188 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:44 AM

Get over it.

#4 kimchidiablo

kimchidiablo

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,856 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:46 AM (Edited by kimchidiablo, 17 July 2017 - 04:27 AM.)

ew why must bring up god to express ur sexuality?

edit: i don't belittle gay nor straight. i am a moslem, stating "god is gay" or "god is straight" is wrong af. in islam, god is a holy entity without gender & sexual preference. 

i don't have problems with people who state "i am gay!" or "i am bisexual!" but pls, have respect to god.

#5 marythesugastan

marythesugastan

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   

• PipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:47 AM (Edited by marythesugastan, 17 July 2017 - 02:31 AM.)

this doesn't seem islamophobic because I'm pretty sure most of the people protesting are or were muslims at one point

edit: i'm not saying muslims can't be isalmophobic but rather in this case, they are criticizing the discrimination of LGBT among their community 

#6 soman

soman

Idol

• PipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:49 AM

I dont understand why they are using "Allah is gay" as a mockery, so theyre using "gay" as an insult? Im confused

#7 Mei Matsumoto

Mei Matsumoto

Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:52 AM

Wasn't Muhammed gay tho? Why god?

#8 green

green

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:53 AM (Edited by green, 17 July 2017 - 01:55 AM.)

This is pretty disrespectful imo. Why do they have to involve Allah in this? I'm not even Muslim. There are many un-offensive ways to show pride in your sexuality without involving someone else's sacred being.

this doesn't seem islamophobic because I'm pretty sure most of the people protesting are or were muslims at one point 

I don't understand. How is the fact that they were Muslims mean that they can't be islamophobic? Maybe that's the reason they left in the first place? 

#9 TiramiQ the 2nd

TiramiQ the 2nd

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:55 AM

I dont understand why they are using "Allah is gay" as a mockery, so theyre using "gay" as an insult? Im confused

exactly, i mean, it is either that or they are doing it purposefully to provoke muslims. i don't see any other point to it. i am pretty sure there are many other ways to protest against these 13 islamic states that kill gays without targetting all muslims' most sacred thing.

#10 Piclik

Piclik

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:57 AM

So only because they were Muslims, it's not islamophobic?

This is pretty disrespectful imo. Why do they have to involve Allah in this? I'm not even Muslim. There are many un-offensive ways to show pride in your sexuality without involving someone else's sacred being.

For the same reason they use "God is gay" I guess, it's an act of provocation. Probably a "you don't respect me, so I won't respect your religion" kinda thing. It's stupid in my opinion.

#11 soman

soman

Idol

• PipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:58 AM (Edited by soman, 17 July 2017 - 01:59 AM.)

exactly, i mean, it is either that or they are doing it purposefully to provoke muslims. i don't see any other point to it. i am pretty sure there are many other ways to protest against these 13 islamic states that kill gays without targetting all muslims' most sacred thing.

Criticize muslims all you want, i do too sometimes, but provoking them by implying Allah or anyone being gay is a mockery is going against what theyre fighting for. Wyd???

#12 green

green

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:01 AM (Edited by green, 17 July 2017 - 02:02 AM.)

But many Islamic groups are quite tolerant of gays tho right? But even they would be offended by this even if those muslims are being supportive...

OP also included this part:

East London Mosque spokesman Salman Farsi told the Evening Standard: “We’ve raised a complaint with the co-chairs of the event that the group was inciting hatred against Muslims, and in particular [in relation] to our good name, based on absolutely groundless reasons.

“Our track record for challenging homophobia in East London is quite well known,” he added.
“For us to see such a mainstream event that is supposed to celebrate tolerance and love used as a hate platform was really quite shocking.

------
I think there are other ways to protest acts of hate other than throwing hate ourselves. That's how wars start.

#13 Rohan Kishibe

Rohan Kishibe

Heaven's Door

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,188 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:10 AM (Edited by Rohan Kishibe, 17 July 2017 - 02:11 AM.)

If your religion doesn't respect my human rights, I'm not going to respect your religion. Your imaginary friends feelings aren't more important than actual human beings.

#14 Frogurt

Frogurt

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:17 AM

Looks like about 8 people. Who cares.

#15 minime

minime

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:17 AM

Let them be, the people at Pride display their coming out of the shell of fear imposed by respective Abrahamic religions by making these sort of placards - it is not so serious! 

#16 Piclik

Piclik

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:22 AM

Criticize muslims all you want, i do too sometimes, but provoking them by implying Allah or anyone being gay is a mockery is going against what theyre fighting for. Wyd???

But many Islamic groups are quite tolerant of gays tho right? But even they would be offended by this even if those muslims are being supportive...

OP also included this part:

------
I think there are other ways to protest acts of hate other than throwing hate ourselves. That's how wars start.

Gays have been disrespecting the Christian faith for years, and I've never seen anyone complain about it (exept for Christians themselves) or crying about christianophobia. It's also mentionned in the article.

“Pride is full of ‘God is gay’ and ‘Jesus had two fathers’ placards as well as those mocking the church and priests and pope, yet hold a sign saying ‘Allah is gay’ – as we did – and the police converge to attempt to remove them for causing offence.”

But now you disrespect Islam and "That's how wars start" ??? laugh.png laugh.png laugh.png

It's stupid anyway to be disrespectful, it stains the cause you're fighting for. They should've cited verses from the Koran, I think it would've been more impactful.

#17 marythesugastan

marythesugastan

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   

• PipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:24 AM

I don't understand. How is the fact that they were Muslims mean that they can't be islamophobic? Maybe that's the reason they left in the first place? 

So only because they were Muslims, it's not islamophobic?

For the same reason they use "God is gay" I guess, it's an act of provocation. Probably a "you don't respect me, so I won't respect your religion" kinda thing. It's stupid in my opinion.

Sorry my statement is worded weird but I was thinking it is more criticizing the LGBT discrimination aspect of the religion rather than being completely discriminating Muslims in general. I don't think their approach was necessarily the best way to put that but I don't believe their intentions were to say Islam is bad, but rather to protest against discrimination against gays among the Muslim community. There can be islamophobic muslims of course, but in this case I don't think this protest is. 

#18 atulvells

atulvells

child of god

• PipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:34 AM

was going to support but then saw that they were calling Allah 'gay', that is not a word to use as an insult!!!!! it is homophoic!

#19 Rohan Kishibe

Rohan Kishibe

Heaven's Door

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,188 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:39 AM

was going to support but then saw that they were calling Allah 'gay', that is not a word to use as an insult!!!!! it is homophoic!

They're mocking people who use islam to justify their homophobia. I don't get why people can't wrap their brains around that simple concept on this forum.

#20 Piclik

Piclik

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:40 AM (Edited by Piclik, 17 July 2017 - 09:11 AM.)

Sorry my statement is worded weird but I was thinking it is more criticizing the LGBT discrimination aspect of the religion rather than being completely discriminating Muslims in general. I don't think their approach was necessarily the best way to put that but I don't believe their intentions were to say Islam is bad, but rather to protest against discrimination against gays among the Muslim community. There can be islamophobic muslims of course, but in this case I don't think this protest is. 

Hmmm, I'm pretty sure that's what ex-Muslim are saying. You can clearly see the ISLAM highlighted in "FUCK ISLAMIC HOMOPHOBIA" and on the image with the countries names.

I've always said that islamophobia is not a real thing and it's just a way to silence people into not critisizing Islam (the non-believers version of blasphemy). Gays should be fearing Islam and their fear would totally be justified (and not irrational like a phoia is supposed to be) seeing what the Koran says about them and how they are treated in Muslim countries.

EDIT: Typo

Up, Up and Away!