38 replies to this topic

#21 WE LIKE jonghyun

WE LIKE jonghyun

你疯了 boy. ima get you boy.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,548 posts
  • LocationJonghyun's Insoles

Posted 14 July 2017 - 04:13 PM

I think cdramas should just ditch Viki and Dramafever altogether and post on their own Youtube channel. I just introduced my friend to Princess Agents and we watched on her big screen tv, she was shocked at how great the quality was. Dramas like Princess Agents and Fighter of the Destiny got subbed so fast, although it would have been better if they were professionally subbed. At the moment only stars with large fanbases like Luhan or Zhao Liying will have their dramas subbed at such speeds. Too bad for the other good dramas out there. Viki and Dramafever have been horrible especially recently not only with licensing popular dramas, but promoting them. I'm happy to see so many people checking out Princess Agents even though it's not on a recognizable drama platform.

What I love most of cdramas is there is no shortage of strong female characters and I do enjoy the ones that are not all about love. Historicals are a must since they have so much history to get material from and Wuxia and Xianxia dramas are the kind of stuff you won't see anywhere else. I love the promos they do for their dramas from the BTS videos to interactions between actors on social media. I would love to see a Viki or Dramafever exclusively for cdramas in the future.

my dream to have a iqiyi or youku with real time(or day after) eng sub.. 

yeah, but KissAsian steals subs from DF/Viki/Youtube. So if Viki/DF don't sub them, then it is hard to find subs elsewhere.

most of the drama on there is not subbed from viki or df, hence why i go there. they just find where ever it is subbed and upload it. 

#22 nutella

nutella

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 9,815 posts
  • Location1004

Posted 14 July 2017 - 04:14 PM

I think cdramas should just ditch Viki and Dramafever altogether and post on their own Youtube channel. I just introduced my friend to Princess Agents and we watched on her big screen tv, she was shocked at how great the quality was. Dramas like Princess Agents and Fighter of the Destiny got subbed so fast, although it would have been better if they were professionally subbed. At the moment only stars with large fanbases like Luhan or Zhao Liying will have their dramas subbed at such speeds. Too bad for the other good dramas out there. Viki and Dramafever have been horrible especially recently not only with licensing popular dramas, but promoting them. I'm happy to see so many people checking out Princess Agents even though it's not on a recognizable drama platform.

What I love most of cdramas is there is no shortage of strong female characters and I do enjoy the ones that are not all about love. Historicals are a must since they have so much history to get material from and Wuxia and Xianxia dramas are the kind of stuff you won't see anywhere else. I love the promos they do for their dramas from the BTS videos to interactions between actors on social media. I would love to see a Viki or Dramafever exclusively for cdramas in the future.

pretty much how I feel.

I think they should ditch Viki/DF and get professional subbers to do their own subs. I rather watch them on youtube. I can stream them to my TV and get them HD without commercials. 

#23 nutella

nutella

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 9,815 posts
  • Location1004

Posted 14 July 2017 - 04:16 PM

my dream to have a iqiyi or youku with real time(or day after) eng sub.. 

most of the drama on there is not subbed from viki or df, hence why i go there. they just find where ever it is subbed and upload it. 

A lot of the ones on kissasian were on Viki when they had fanchannels, but the channels were deleted. Like Boss & Me. 

Some are fan-subbed like The Mystic Nine (not on DF or Viki), but was subbed by fans somewhere else. But the majority are from deleted fan channels on Viki.

I hope that dream comes true but on youtube lol 

#24 RealisticZenist

RealisticZenist

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 04:52 PM

Y'know I really hope that China makes more modern dramas too.

Recently there are ones like Ode to Joy and In the Name of the People.

But those two are still very much "vanilla" and are clearly more "soap opera" TV.

I want China directors to take on more of a daring step to tackle more on realistic environments like 蜗居 (Dwelling Narrowness)https://en.wikipedia...ling_Narrowness, 别了,温哥华 (Goodbye to Vancouver) http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Vancouver, and/or 中国式离婚 (Chinese Style Divorce) http://wiki.d-addict...e_Style_Divorce

#25 whitedove

whitedove

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 15 July 2017 - 04:32 PM (Edited by whitedove, 15 July 2017 - 04:33 PM.)

Yea but lately I've been seeing a lot get subbed. I think glory of tang dynasty also didn't get subbed yet. A lot of the ones w/ high expectant don't get subbed which is weird to me. I expect drama with popular young actor to get subbed quick tho like zly, yang yang, william chan, dilraba(have much upcoming drama.. and she getting popular), etc. like those around age 30 n below who is very popular right now. 

Speaking pf William Chan though, is his new drama with Liu Shi Shi getting subbed?

#26 WE LIKE jonghyun

WE LIKE jonghyun

你疯了 boy. ima get you boy.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,548 posts
  • LocationJonghyun's Insoles

Posted 15 July 2017 - 04:39 PM

Speaking pf William Chan though, is his new drama with Liu Shi Shi getting subbed?

There is some raws on yt, not sure if the publisher will sub it or fans. Same company making dilraba new drama which is coming out next month I think. 

#27 Garnetstar24

Garnetstar24

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationDisney

Posted 16 July 2017 - 04:04 PM

Yep. I agree, I have been loving Cdramas lately and what I see draws me in are the really strong female lead centered dramas. Like they are heroic and strong and capable. Nirvana in Fire was the only one that wasn't female centered but that drama did not lack strong female characters. OMG Prince Jings mom was such a cool smart character.

Princes Agents has been great. I love that actress and first watched her in Legend of Lu Zhen another kick ass character that used her brain and kindness to make it to the top. I also loved 3 Miles of Cherry Blossoms Love Forever whatever it's translated 50 names are. lOl

I still like Kdramas but Kdramas sometimes only offer the fantasy of finding love. While Cdramas are like yes here is a fantasy about love but look at your heroine also kick ass along the way!

#28 devilvp

devilvp

South Club

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:19 AM

Cdramas have been gaining a stronger traction internationally & i'm stoked to see. There's countless gems when you dig deep and I tend to find c actors emote better than your average k actor with better writing & plots all around.

I don't need subs but if offical channels start providing free hq subs on widespread platforms like youtube, it'll help expand the popularity of cdramas.

#29 Hoplz

Hoplz

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 9,502 posts
  • LocationRiding that D

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:37 AM

I can see a lot more Chinese dramas will be subbed next year. It's getting more popular now.

Sent from my iPhone using OneHallyu

Yup
I've been getting into the historical fantasy ones now
Never watched one before until now

#30 blank_stare

blank_stare

BLANK

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,061 posts
  • LocationYuZhou is My Universe

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:42 PM

Agree with you on that one. But I don't like it when they have to die at the end or there's no happy ending. Dramafever was so good at their Ten Peach Blossom promo, what happened to them?

#31 Xiaoshu

Xiaoshu

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationLang Ya Hall

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:52 PM (Edited by Xiaoshu, 17 July 2017 - 09:53 PM.)

I just want The Advisors Alliance to be subbed more faster. I die to wait for Eng sub. Currently on ep 6. I love political/historical drama so much. I love watching smart people scheming against each other. Sima Yi is stealing my heart now.

PA is just too addicted, even ZLY is a bit weak in action but it's still so enjoyable. Can't imagine when Ming Lan air next year. ZLY + NIF team. This is over my expectation. Ni Ni also plays strong female strategist in Rise of The Phoenix next year.  I'm so excited to see strong female characters.

After PA ends, I'll switch to modern drama (while waiting Eng sub for TAA). I think I will check Zheng Zhuang drama.      

#32 everypart

everypart

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,102 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 12:17 AM

I will never ever understand why producers never get international distributors for Cdramas with professional translators. They have the money to do it and it will increase their soft power. It's so shortsighted of them to not look at the bigger picture.

#33 ScarletWhimsy

ScarletWhimsy

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,910 posts
  • LocationOnly the best bubble tea shops.

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:06 AM (Edited by ScarletWhimsy, 13 August 2017 - 10:07 AM.)

It's not that Chinese productions aren't good. Quite the contrary. Sure, there are a ton of crappy stuff out there, but the ones that aren't crappy are absolute gems that have outshone any top Korean drama I've watched, both in production and acting.

The problem is accessibility. Chinese entertainment and social media are nowhere near as accessible for non-Chinese speakers as Japanese and Korean counterparts. No matter how good something is, it won't be making waves like Princess Agents (which isn't even close to the best content I've seen) unless you get those English subs rolling in for the i-fans.

I hope China starts to get the hint and continue doing what they did here.

I will never ever understand why producers never get international distributors for Cdramas with professional translators. They have the money to do it and it will increase their soft power. It's so shortsighted of them to not look at the bigger picture.

+1

#34 waycrispy1

waycrispy1

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:26 AM

It's not that Chinese productions aren't good. Quite the contrary. Sure, there are a ton of crappy stuff out there, but the ones that aren't crappy are absolute gems that have outshone any top Korean drama I've watched, both in production and acting.

The problem is accessibility. Chinese entertainment and social media are nowhere near as accessible for non-Chinese speakers as Japanese and Korean counterparts. No matter how good something is, it won't be making waves like Princess Agents (which isn't even close to the best content I've seen) unless you get those English subs rolling in for the i-fans.

I hope China starts to get the hint and continue doing what they did here.

+1

Chinese have never felt the need to export their entertainment. They are not interested in making waves beyond their borders. The only reason they make their dramas available on sites like YouTube is to reach the overseas Chinese who are not able to access sites like iQiyi due to copyright. It's funny when I read the comments replying to people demanding faster eng subs to either learn Chinese or watch something else. Honestly the people who volunteer to sub 2 ep a day are saints, I don't know why anyone would want to do it.

The money is still in China. For instance Fan Bing Bing's new drama Win the World spent 70 million USD, and they broke even just selling the rights to 6 Chinese streaming sites. Whatever they make from tv stations first airing, consecutive airings on local stations and overseas Chinese tv station airings will be pure profit. I'm sure they can't get the same amount per episode selling to places like Dramafever and Viki. If they were a smaller market it'd be a different story, but having the largest viewing audience in the world = they only care about their own market.

#35 ScarletWhimsy

ScarletWhimsy

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,910 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 01:29 PM (Edited by ScarletWhimsy, 13 August 2017 - 01:35 PM.)

Chinese have never felt the need to export their entertainment. They are not interested in making waves beyond their borders. The only reason they make their dramas available on sites like YouTube is to reach the overseas Chinese who are not able to access sites like iQiyi due to copyright. It's funny when I read the comments replying to people demanding faster eng subs to either learn Chinese or watch something else. Honestly the people who volunteer to sub 2 ep a day are saints, I don't know why anyone would want to do it.

The money is still in China. For instance Fan Bing Bing's new drama Win the World spent 70 million USD, and they broke even just selling the rights to 6 Chinese streaming sites. Whatever they make from tv stations first airing, consecutive airings on local stations and overseas Chinese tv station airings will be pure profit. I'm sure they can't get the same amount per episode selling to places like Dramafever and Viki. If they were a smaller market it'd be a different story, but having the largest viewing audience in the world = they only care about their own market.

Of course it's not necessary for our dramas to go outside of the country. Anyone can see that there's enough manpower to generate success from within. I'm merely suggesting that should they become ambitious one day and decide to take things a step further, then this will have to be their next step.

At the end of the day, this isn't even just about entertainment. I completely agree with everypart's mention of soft power. China's weapon of choice right now is business. Yet China lacks the image and level of soft power compared to both Japan and South Korea. We're trying to buy our way through things, but image is also a part of business. I'm not saying entertainment is the only key to success, but it's a good outlet to start developing as part of the overall picture.

(Also, I've done enough translations myself to know what a pain it is, let alone having to deal with ungrateful and entitled brats who demand subs. But we're talking about an investment in professionals who can do it as a job, not enslaving volunteers.)

#36 WJSN

WJSN

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,720 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 01:57 PM

It's also important to note that Chinese media has only recently taken a leap forward. HK and TW had a stranglehold on Chinese media before that. Mainland media is playing catch up. It's more important to improve the quality of the product before trying to improve your soft power. To paraphrase something Jackie Chan said, don't go looking or begging for attention, do your part and do it well, they will come to you (if you're worth it).

#37 waycrispy1

waycrispy1

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 01:59 PM (Edited by waycrispy1, 13 August 2017 - 02:08 PM.)

Of course it's not necessary for our dramas to go outside of the country. Anyone can see that there's enough manpower to generate success from within. I'm merely suggesting that should they become ambitious one day and decide to take things a step further, then this will have to be their next step.

At the end of the day, this isn't even just about entertainment. I completely agree with everypart's mention of soft power. China's weapon of choice right now is business. Yet China lacks the image and level of soft power compared to both Japan and South Korea. We're trying to buy our way through things, but image is also a part of business. I'm not saying entertainment is the only key to success, but it's a good outlet to start developing as part of the overall picture.

(Also, I've done enough translations myself to know what a pain it is, let alone having to deal with ungrateful and entitled brats who demand subs. But we're talking about an investment in professionals who can do it as a job, not enslaving volunteers.)

I would love to see more soft power in terms of entertainment as well, despite all the loud voices of them copying shows, I prefer all the home grown shows they've been coming out with. I find them to be much more entertaining than the ones they copy or buy from other countries. However Korea was able to build up all of their soft power with a lot of government backing. If the Chinese government did the same thing, people would be calling it propaganda. As for the production companies, no one can really expect them to make the push for soft power as all they are looking for are quick profits. As a whole the entire Chinese entertainment industry can improve by leaps and bounds if they all put in the attention to detail that we see in some of those gems. However, since it's just as easy to become profitable making duds, very few production companies will bother making masterpieces much less bother with exporting them to the world.

It's also important to note that Chinese media has only recently taken a leap forward. HK and TW had a stranglehold on Chinese media before that. Mainland media is playing catch up. It's more important to improve the quality of the product before trying to improve your soft power. To paraphrase something Jackie Chan said, don't go looking or begging for attention, do your part and do it well, they will come to you (if you're worth it).

Exactly, take NiF for example. Their tv ratings were pretty shit until it was pretty far into the drama. Then everyone caught wind and it became hugely popular in and out of China slowly. When something is that good, word will spread. A lot of the stuff out now I would compare to junk food, there's no substance. I feel like a lot of these production companies follow a similar formula to get high ratings, put in stuff that people will bitch about online and soon everyone will watch to see what the fuss is about. In no way will that create anything worth exporting.

#38 ScarletWhimsy

ScarletWhimsy

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,910 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:21 PM (Edited by ScarletWhimsy, 13 August 2017 - 06:23 PM.)

I would love to see more soft power in terms of entertainment as well, despite all the loud voices of them copying shows, I prefer all the home grown shows they've been coming out with. I find them to be much more entertaining than the ones they copy or buy from other countries. However Korea was able to build up all of their soft power with a lot of government backing. If the Chinese government did the same thing, people would be calling it propaganda. As for the production companies, no one can really expect them to make the push for soft power as all they are looking for are quick profits. As a whole the entire Chinese entertainment industry can improve by leaps and bounds if they all put in the attention to detail that we see in some of those gems. However, since it's just as easy to become profitable making duds, very few production companies will bother making masterpieces much less bother with exporting them to the world.

Good point. That's what makes me sad. There's plenty of artistic talent and skill. But the state of the government really doesn't create the ideal environment for art to truly take free reign, and should they give their support, it will taint things and be nothing more than tacky propaganda. What isn't real will never fool the hearts of people, no matter how well it's faked and how high quality the fake is.

#39 nandayo

nandayo

Long-term Trainee

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 06:38 PM

I am glad that they upload it to youtube. I even can watch the advisor alliances with engsub (≧∇≦)b

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cdramas, princess agents

Up, Up and Away!