#1 nutella

nutella

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 9,648 posts
  • Location1004

Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:33 PM

TV1.jpg
(China Daily) Seventeen years ago, the South Korean hit television series, Autumn in My Heart, was all the rage in China, marking the beginning of hallyu, or K-pop culture.

There is no denying that South Korean culture, from makeup to fashion style and from music to films, has a huge following in China and Asia as a whole.
However, as many Chinese TV and film makers come up with new ideas and abandon the stereotype of learning from foreign counterparts, a new wave of Chinese culture is sweeping the world, gaining attention from foreign viewers.
Ancient spy drama attracts foreigners' attention
"I really like this magical drama and I usually only watch Korean dramas or movies but I have to admit the Chinese actors are really talented and the story is wonderful," says Canadian online user Sara Rojas on YouTube.
The magical drama she refers to is Princess Agents, a costume detective drama that first aired on the Hunan TV channel on June 5.
Set against the backdrop of chaotic times during the Northern Wei Dynasty (386-534) when innocent citizens are often kidnapped and turned into slaves, the drama follows a woman, Chu Qiao, as she rises from a lowly slave to a successful military strategist, as well as a female general in the people's hearts.
Princess Agents releases two episodes a day from Monday to Thursday, and foreign online users can watch its English version six hours later on YouTube.
Even at such frequency, quite a few fans complain about the slow updates.
"Oh my Gosh! It is really killing me to wait for the English version. I just love the drama so much that I cannot wait to see the latest episode. I hope that kind Chinese users can quickly translate the Chinese versions in time to ease my pain of waiting," says 23-year-old Sey KompungCham on YouTube. "Also, the actress Zhao Liying is very beautiful and I am a big fan."

To appeal to foreign viewers, producers have set up an official YouTube account that boasts over 15 million views and 125,000 followers by July 12. Each episode attracts over 60,000 hits on average.
What makes the drama a hit?
First, the timely updates and uploading of English versions contribute a lot to the drama's spreading.

"One of the greatest challenges for Chinese TV series' going global is the language barrier. As there are huge differences between eastern and western civilization, foreign people barely understand the plot without the help of translation," says professor Zhang Jingdong from the Communication University of China.
TV2.jpg
Since its premiere on the Hunan TV channel, Princess Agents manages to upload the latest episode in English within six hours on YouTube, gradually accumulating a bigger viewer base.
Second, the innovative story content and fantastic visual effects add some glamour.
At the beginning of the drama, the lead character Chu Qiao, together with other slaves, is belittled and preyed upon during a hunt by the aristocrats, solely for fun.
The ugliest nature of human beings is exposed to the fullest extent in the drama and some foreigners who are eager to know about ancient tyrant culture are interested in following the story.
Furthermore, the good-looking appearance of actors has also been credited for the show's success. For instance, the lead actress, Zhao Liying, is not an unfamiliar face to foreigners and Asian people in particular.
She starred in another inspiring historical romance, Legend of Lu Zhen, in 2013, which was also well-received by Japanese and South Korean viewers and led to increased recognition for her in the region.
As China enjoys a long history of ancient civilization, Chinese-style costume dramas have circled the globe more than once.
Two years ago, the historical drama, Nirvana in Fire, generated a wave of interest in South Korea.
According to CJ Entertainment and Media, the largest entertainment company in South Korea, Nirvana in Fire attracted a record high audience share of 15.4 percent to the Chunghwa TV channel when it was first aired in South Korea last year, and became a hot topic on social media.
More materials for foreigners to choose
If you think only costume dramas attract the attention of foreigners, think again.
In the first half of this year, an anti-corruption-themed TV series, In the Name of People, made waves both at home and abroad.
The plot revolves around a detective's efforts to unearth corruption within a fictional Chinese city.
The drama has been critically acclaimed with a high rating of 8.3 out of 10 on Chinese TV review site Douban for its ensemble cast of skilled veteran actors and high quality plot.
Due to the popularity of the TV series in China, the drama has also attracted the attention of foreign media and many western observers regard it as the Chinese version of House of Cards.
Meanwhile, the Chinese popular urban drama, Ode to Joy, and its sequel also appealed to audiences in Vietnam.
In addition to the high audience ratings, the makeup and fashion of the protagonists influenced local people's daily lifestyle.
"While watching stories of family, study, work and the love lives of the five young women, viewers can see themselves in the characters during some part of their lives," says Vu Quynh Mai, 28, a marketing officer at a book company in Hanoi.
"The five girls have their respective strengths and weaknesses. All characters are featured clearly and realistically. While following colorful stories about the five women, we can learn lesson about life, work, study and love."
Zhang Guofeng, an expert from the China Artists Association, said that in the past, most Chinese TV dramas either distorted the War of Resistance Against Japanese Aggression (1937-1945) or blindly copied foreign programs.

As the Chinese government pays more attention to the soft power of the TV and film markets, he says foreign viewers may be surprised more often.
Source: China Daily

"First, the timely updates and uploading of English versions contribute a lot to the drama's spreading."

-sadly not enough cdramas get subbed, which is preventing cdramas from getting even more popular

#2 blank_stare

blank_stare

BLANK

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,620 posts
  • LocationYuZhou is My Universe

Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:34 PM

I can see a lot more Chinese dramas will be subbed next year. It's getting more popular now.

Sent from my iPhone using OneHallyu

#3 IKKY

IKKY

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationOn a 5 star cruise ship called SOPE

Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:36 PM

Lately I'm appreciating Chinese actors visuals more than k actors and there are some good cdramas if you look for it.
But it'll still take a while for me to get used to cdramas after watching kdramas for years.

#4 elixir

elixir

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • Location๐Ÿ’Ž๐Ÿ’Ž๐Ÿ’Ž๐Ÿ’Ž๐Ÿ’Ž

Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:37 PM

I like these kinds of dramas rlytearpls.png

#5 K i n g

K i n g

๐Š ๐ˆ ๐ ๐† ๐‘œ๐’ป ๐ ๐” ๐† ๐”

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
  • Location๐’พ๐“ƒ ๐’ถ ๐’ป๐’ถ๐“‡ ๐’ถ๐“Œ๐’ถ๐“Ž ๐“๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐’น, ๐“Œ๐’ฝ๐‘’๐“‡๐‘’ ๐“ญ๐“ธ๐”‚๐“ฎ๐“ธ๐“ท, ๐“ผ๐“พ๐“ฑ๐“ธ ๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐’น ๐“ผ๐“ฎ๐“ฑ๐“พ๐“ท (๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐’น ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐“‡๐‘’๐“ˆ๐“‰ ๐‘œ๐’ป ๐“‚๐“Ž ๐’ป๐’ถ๐“‹๐‘’๐“ˆ) ๐‘’๐“๐’พ๐“ˆ๐“‰. ๐“ƒ๐‘œ๐“‰ ๐“‰๐‘œ๐‘”๐‘’๐“‰๐’ฝ๐‘’๐“‡ ๐’ธ๐’ถ๐“Š๐“ˆ๐‘’ ๐’พ'๐“‚ ๐“ƒ๐‘œ๐“‰ ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐’ถ๐“‰ใ€Ž๐“ญ๐“ฎ๐“ต๐“พ๐“ต๐“พใ€

Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:37 PM

C-Dramas are pretty good, the CGI is usually good too for fantasy dramas. When Autumn In My Heart was mentioned in the article though, I kinda teared up. Love that K-drama.

#6 wee woo wigs off

wee woo wigs off

ไฝ ็–ฏไบ† boy. ima get you boy.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,163 posts
  • LocationJonghyun's Insoles

Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:39 PM (Edited by wee woo wigs off, 14 July 2017 - 03:40 PM.)

They sub a lot of cdrama but they get subbed very LATE. Princess Agents is getting subbed very fast! But then there is well received drama that have yet to be subbed such as In the name of the people(in eng) unless it was recently subbed. Personally I have always loved cdrama > kdrama. I love wuxia and historical drama. I love political drama. 

#7 Fatalite

Fatalite

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,527 posts
  • LocationPreviously Tanomina

Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:40 PM

I just started watching Princess Agents since I saw it mentioned on another thread. I like that it's subbed on youtube

#8 wee woo wigs off

wee woo wigs off

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,163 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:41 PM

I just started watching Princess Agents since I saw it mentioned on another thread. I like that it's subbed on youtube

Fighter of Destiny was also subbed on YT, but I didn't finish the drama yet. 

#9 nutella

nutella

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 9,648 posts
  • Location1004

Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:43 PM (Edited by nutella, 14 July 2017 - 03:43 PM.)

I can see a lot more Chinese dramas will be subbed next year. It's getting more popular now.

Sent from my iPhone using OneHallyu

I hope so. This year has been kind of slow so far. A lot of big dramas were not picked up by Viki/DF. Viki pretty much is only getting unknown cdramas for the last few months. 

They sub a lot of cdrama but they get subbed very LATE. Princess Agents is getting subbed very fast! But then there is well received drama that have yet to be subbed such as In the name of the people(in eng) unless it was recently subbed. Personally I have always loved cdrama > kdrama. I love wuxia and historical drama. I love political drama. 

or not at all. Some good/popular cdramas never get subbed, which is a shame. Cdramas do have better historical dramas since they make more of them and they also have wuxia/xianxias. 

#10 wee woo wigs off

wee woo wigs off

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,163 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:46 PM

I hope so. This year has been kind of slow so far. A lot of big dramas were not picked up by Viki/DF. Viki pretty much is only getting unknown cdramas for the last few months. 

or not at all. Some good/popular cdramas never get subbed, which is a shame. Cdramas do have better historical dramas since they make more of them and they also have wuxia/xianxias. 

Yea but lately I've been seeing a lot get subbed. I think glory of tang dynasty also didn't get subbed yet. A lot of the ones w/ high expectant don't get subbed which is weird to me. I expect drama with popular young actor to get subbed quick tho like zly, yang yang, william chan, dilraba(have much upcoming drama.. and she getting popular), etc. like those around age 30 n below who is very popular right now. 

#11 iyah

iyah

Idol

• PipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:49 PM (Edited by iyah, 14 July 2017 - 03:50 PM.)

Speaking of Autumn in my heart, H.O.T and Song Hye Kyo MV rlytearpls.png

#12 Miky

Miky

#EXITSQUAD

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,047 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:55 PM (Edited by Miky, 14 July 2017 - 03:57 PM.)

Hope in the future they will get even more exposure from international fans and will be more people intrested to sub them(like how korean dramas are) because there are so many great shows that go under the radar aside from having more female centered dramas,with strong heroines,more human character,in the gray area and not the usual white/black extremes...Quite into c-dramas for some time now,loving the wuxia type,political and lastly romance...

Princess Agents is a good example of a great show and has romance as a sub-plot so if u go into it just for romance it won't be for you yet i love it to bits and even kinda wanted to be even longer because there is so much they can add...I'm happy we are lucky we get subs for it even if sadly they are quite simple(and not fully complete translated) and still sad that not even DF/Viki picked it up,as i considered it the type of show that with a more elaborate translations it will be even greater as there are so many nuances to it,so kinda envious of lucky people who understand chinese...(also Shawn Dou is steller for me at least)

#13 GenjuroX

GenjuroX

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 852 posts
  • LocationSomewhere out there...

Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:58 PM

I know what the ending is. Everyone dies.

#14 nutella

nutella

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 9,648 posts
  • Location1004

Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:58 PM

Yea but lately I've been seeing a lot get subbed. I think glory of tang dynasty also didn't get subbed yet. A lot of the ones w/ high expectant don't get subbed which is weird to me. I expect drama with popular young actor to get subbed quick tho like zly, yang yang, william chan, dilraba(have much upcoming drama.. and she getting popular), etc. like those around age 30 n below who is very popular right now. 

I don't really expect that. I don't think it has much to do with popularity. Otherwise, DF would have licensed at least one ZLY drama but they don't have any. It depends on many things like $$

DF has a deal with Croton, they usually get cdramas that Croton licensed. It doesn't depend on the actor but if Croton got rights to it. Now Viki is an enigma. This year they have been getting cheaper unknown cdramas, even if fans are requesting different dramas. 

Netlfix licensed like 3 cdramas this year. 

Some youtube channels have been opening up their videos to fansubs. I have seen some webdramas get subbed or partially subbed like this, but not many. Then fans of Luhan were subbing his drama on youtube. PA's subs come from whoever is managing their channel, otherwise I don't think we would have gotten subs. I hope this becomes a trend. I noticed Tencent provided their own subs for The King's Avatar. If more channels provide subs on youtube, it would be much easier for foreign fans to watch. 

#15 wee woo wigs off

wee woo wigs off

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,163 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 04:01 PM

Hope in the future they will get even more exposure from international fans and will be more people intrested to sub them(like how korean dramas are) because there are so many great shows that go under the radar aside from having more female centered dramas,with strong heroines,more human character,in the gray area and not the usual white/black extremes...Quite into c-dramas for some time now,loving the wuxia type,political and lastly romance...

Princess Agents is a good example of a great show and has romance as a sub-plot so if u go into it just for romance it won't be for you yet i ove it to bits and even kinda wanted to be even longer because there is so much they can add...I'm happy we are lucky we get subs for it even if sadly they are quite simple(and not fully complete translated) and still sad that not even DF/Viki picked it up,as i considered it the type of show that with a more elaborate translations it will be even grater as there are so many nuances to it,so kinda envious of lucky people who understand chinese...(also Shawn Dou is steller for me at least)

Viki is so slow w/ sub lately.. Thing about DF is they have contracts with certain drama production companies which is obv in their subbing of Wei Young, Love O2o, Eternal Love, etc which are pmuch almost all by the same company. I find the subs find for princess agents with minimal understanding of cn (about HSK lv 3 with some advanced grammar) , as in I don't find it to be to "simple" translation. 

#16 wee woo wigs off

wee woo wigs off

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,163 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 04:03 PM

I don't really expect that. I don't think it has much to do with popularity. Otherwise, DF would have licensed at least one ZLY drama but they don't have any. It depends on many things like $$

DF has a deal with Croton, they usually get cdramas that Croton licensed. It doesn't depend on the actor but if Croton got rights to it. Now Viki is an enigma. This year they have been getting cheaper unknown cdramas, even if fans are requesting different dramas. 

Netlfix licensed like 3 cdramas this year. 

Some youtube channels have been opening up their videos to fansubs. I have seen some webdramas get subbed or partially subbed like this, but not many. Then fans of Luhan were subbing his drama on youtube. PA's subs come from whoever is managing their channel, otherwise I don't think we would have gotten subs. I hope this becomes a trend. I noticed Tencent provided their own subs for The King's Avatar. If more channels provide subs on youtube, it would be much easier for foreign fans to watch. 

Idc much for big company trans, but most zly drama is subbed by SOMEONE. If you guys are talking official like though df or something then yea there isn't a lot. but there is plenty of other sources translating cn dramas. 

#17 nutella

nutella

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 9,648 posts
  • Location1004

Posted 14 July 2017 - 04:05 PM

Idc much for big company trans, but most zly drama is subbed by SOMEONE. If you guys are talking official like though df or something then yea there isn't a lot. but there is plenty of other sources translating cn dramas. 

well before when Viki had fan channels, a lot more dramas were subbed. That is how most of her dramas got subbed. Sadly that ended last year, so now we have to rely on official sources for subs. 

#18 wee woo wigs off

wee woo wigs off

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,163 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 04:07 PM (Edited by wee woo wigs off, 14 July 2017 - 04:08 PM.)

well before when Viki had fan channels, a lot more dramas were subbed. That is how most of her dramas got subbed. Sadly that ended last year, so now we have to rely on official sources for subs. 

I stopped watching things on viki bcuz of ads. I watch most drama through kissasian (copy paste video link in new tab to avoid ad). Some other drama that get uploaded on there late I just dig around to see if I can find sub (thats how I found fighter of destiny sub).

Oh and easily find anything from Zhang Yixing subbed from his fans if you follow them on twt. They subbed both his recent drama as they aired (operation love and mystic nine, which is a GREAT drama.. love mystic nine)

#19 waycrispy1

waycrispy1

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 04:09 PM

I think cdramas should just ditch Viki and Dramafever altogether and post on their own Youtube channel. I just introduced my friend to Princess Agents and we watched on her big screen tv, she was shocked at how great the quality was. Dramas like Princess Agents and Fighter of the Destiny got subbed so fast, although it would have been better if they were professionally subbed. At the moment only stars with large fanbases like Luhan or Zhao Liying will have their dramas subbed at such speeds. Too bad for the other good dramas out there. Viki and Dramafever have been horrible especially recently not only with licensing popular dramas, but promoting them. I'm happy to see so many people checking out Princess Agents even though it's not on a recognizable drama platform.

What I love most of cdramas is there is no shortage of strong female characters and I do enjoy the ones that are not all about love. Historicals are a must since they have so much history to get material from and Wuxia and Xianxia dramas are the kind of stuff you won't see anywhere else. I love the promos they do for their dramas from the BTS videos to interactions between actors on social media. I would love to see a Viki or Dramafever exclusively for cdramas in the future.

#20 nutella

nutella

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 9,648 posts
  • Location1004

Posted 14 July 2017 - 04:09 PM

I stopped watching things on viki bcuz of ads. I watch most drama through kissasian (copy paste video link in new tab to avoid ad). Some other drama that get uploaded on there late I just dig around to see if I can find sub (thats how I found fighter of destiny sub).

yeah, but KissAsian steals subs from DF/Viki/Youtube. So if Viki/DF don't sub them, then it is hard to find subs elsewhere.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cdramas, princess agents

Up, Up and Away!