Forums Rules Staff Calendar Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
Sign in to follow this  
Rinne

Announcement Oh! Press Summer Recruitment 2k17 - ENDED

You just compared publishable articles to fanfiction. Why are you degrading your own co-staff to make a point? I perused the site and saw some pretty long and competent articles on there, but okay. The shit on that blog is no different from the allkpop articles that people actually get paid to write, so what are you talking about? Furthermore, AsianFanFics doesn't fucking recruit people and ask for writing samples, ask if they are going to write at least one fanfic a week and call them "staff." That sounds like a writing job to me. It was confusing enough that I felt the need to ask if this was an actual job. Also I didn't project on how anyone feeeeeels but okay.

maybe the asianfanfics example was wrong

but once again

the users who join this team know they wont get paid, and they do still join by THEIR OWN WILL, no one is forcing them to join, no one, and you yet you have a team with +14 writers and everything's okay and rainbows

there's no need to be rude about this, you just seem to think everything should be paid for when you're not even on the team nor shares the ideology of the ones who are ACTUALLY on it and are enjoying it with no money whatsoever

if you don't like how it is, move on, ignore it, because no one is going to really care about this opinion of yours when many, many people like to do stuff because they're passionate, and not just for money, consciously and very affirmatively.

/out

You just compared publishable articles to fanfiction. Why are you degrading your own co-staff to make a point? I perused the site and saw some pretty long and competent articles on there, but okay. The shit on that blog is no different from the allkpop articles that people actually get paid to write, so what are you talking about? Furthermore, AsianFanFics doesn't fucking recruit people and ask for writing samples, ask if they are going to write at least one fanfic a week and call them "staff." That sounds like a writing job to me. It was confusing enough that I felt the need to ask if this was an actual job. Also I didn't project on how anyone feeeeeels but okay.

if they recruit me I'll write a tell-all article about the slave culture they lock us in behind the scenes. Pls support!
  • Like 3
  • Dislike 1

I think you're misunderstanding our use of the term "recruitment" and taking it in a more serious manner than it's intended. I am as against unpaid internships and "work for exposure" as anyone should be, and I value creative work and the effort that goes into it, but it's evident to me that OH staff roles are a way of engaging a hobby and not intended as any kind of serious "labour" like you seem to think it is.

it's all voluntary work to engage a hobby or shared interest we all have, and nobody is obliged to do any more than they feel able to. producing an article per week is a guideline so that we don't end up with a large team producing very little. it's simple organisation. if you can't produce something "on time" there is no punishment like you seem to assume. we decide what we want to write about individually and we also collaborate on group projects if we choose to. we go on hiatus when we don't have time to contribute or just need to take a breather.

it's a way for us to have fun with our shared interests that also happens to allow us to develop skills that may benefit us elsewhere if we decide to use them in future. there is no oppressive downside like you seem to be imagining.

the majority of us already have "real" jobs or are working toward a career via studies. I myself already work full time, I choose to do OH Press stuff because I like this forum and I'm interested in pop music. nobody made me do it, and I can leave the team at any time if I want to and for whatever reason.

I appreciate that you think we produce high quality work that could be mistaken for the calibre of news sites, but you have to remember that the OH! Blog is a blog which is an extension of a forum community, not a news site, and we are not professional reporters or journalists nor are any of us trying to be.

moreover I think you're underestimating the cost of running OH, and overestimating its ad revenue. the traffic this site gets is enormous and therefore costly, and the advertising is there to cover the expenses, as anyone who has been here for a long time can tell you.

if you really want more information about this nothing is stopping you from contacting Sad, the site owner, who would be happy to tell you more about how the site functions rather than throwing out accusations at all of us based on your own wild assumptions. we're all approachable people who know what we're doing and we make our own choices to do so. I'm not sure how you think getting aggressive and accusatory with the very people you're supposedly "defending" will help anyone.

Edited by Teru
  • Like 13

I appreciate that you think we produce high quality work that could be mistaken for the calibre of news sites, but you have to remember that the OH! Blog is a blog which is an extension of a forum community, not a news site, and we are not professional reporters or journalists nor are any of us trying to be.

Yeah well, maybe you should. Not being sarcastic. The writing is legitimately better than akp.

• Like 1

Yeah well, maybe you should. Not being sarcastic. The writing is legitimately better than akp.

glad you think so and your praise is very appreciated by the team for sure! just trust us when we say we know what we're doing as well. if people want to use their experience in OH Press to move into a legitimate writing career then I hope they do so, it's certainly a great way to practice and learn how to work with people

• Like 1

Accidentally leaked information in the spoiler!

We need more translator applicants rlytearpls.png

We need more translator applicants rlytearpls.png

i can do some very simple korean to english translation with no dictionary, a little more in depth trans the help of a (reliable) dictionary. can I still apply? but i'm not good thing english to korean however rlytearpls.png 

i can do some very simple korean to english translation with no dictionary, a little more in depth trans the help of a (reliable) dictionary. can I still apply? but i'm not good thing english to korean however rlytearpls.png 

Yes go ahead, worth the try and who knows what will happen rlytearpls.png

Worry not, soon we're going to announce something that'll allow users to send their stuffs to us for publication. You can ramble as much as you want with nothing to hold you back except for power outage, and we'll publish it as a part of a newly introduced column. Anticipate! and me anticipating your writings to be shared smile.png

For real? I like to write once in a blue moon (and the content is probably crappy anyway) but it sounds like a good idea!

We need more translator applicants rlytearpls.png

Do you need some Japanese-English translators? I'm still not 100% fluent but i can try if it's some simple translation

Edited by black_miri

For real? I like to write once in a blue moon (and the content is probably crappy anyway) but it sounds like a good idea!

Yup, it is really fun trust me! We've been getting many feedbacks and letters to editor is a very popular request superheroh.png 

Do you need some Japanese-English translators? I'm still not 100% fluent but i can try if it's some simple translation

Yes we are currently seeking Chinese, Japanese, and Korean translators. Preferably those who can translate both ways. It's worth the try smile.png

Yup, it is really fun trust me! We've been getting many feedbacks and letters to editor is a very popular request superheroh.png 

Yes we are currently seeking Chinese, Japanese, and Korean translators. Preferably those who can translate both ways. It's worth the try smile.png

ok thanks ^^ do literary/ part of books translations count as a sample? because i did one a few days ago and i was thinking of submitting it.. or do you prefer something like translated news articles?

Edited by black_miri

what kind of things would the translators on the OH press team be translating? i'm asking so i have an idea of what kind of samples to include

Interview requests, official inquiries, sources for references and research, and et cetera

ok thanks ^^ do literary/ part of books translations count as a sample? because i did one a few days ago and i was thinking of submitting it.. or do you prefer something like translated news articles?

Yes absolutely, I just want to see whether an applicant can do translation properly or not

"[Need more K-Translators]"

hm....  datassplz.png

Edited by mes

I wish i can do OH press, but i not confident enough at all.

I mostly wanna participate, in the OH opinion part, but doing all of that. nah i'll pass, i'm not good with deadlines at all. ^^;

Edited by PockyAddict89

I never saw this omo wth. It sounds interesting. I can translate a bit of Japanese although i aint gifted. Is it too late to sign up for anything?

If i did sign up what do you mean by writing sample???????

Lowkey lol-ing at the mess that is the previous page lmao

• Like 1

I never saw this omo wth. It sounds interesting. I can translate a bit of Japanese although i aint gifted. Is it too late to sign up for anything?

Nope, there's still just over a day left to apply. It's pretty late though. If you're going to apply, I'd do it now.

If i did sign up what do you mean by writing sample???????

I'm pretty sure that you just need to include translation examples to prove that you can translate properly. So basically just convert any english text into Japanese and/or preferable. If you can translate both ways that's preferable. 

P.S. I'm not necessarily the most knowledgeable member on these matters, but I'd just thought I'd give you as much advice as I could because it's so close to the deadline. Good luck :)

Edited by choiyujins

Nope, there's still just over a day left to apply. It's pretty late though. If you're going to apply, I'd do it now.

I'm pretty sure that you just need to include translation examples to prove that you can translate properly. So basically just convert any english text into Japanese and/or preferable. If you can translate both ways that's preferable. 

P.S. I'm not necessarily the most knowledgeable member on these matters, but I'd just thought I'd give you as much advice as I could because it's so close to the deadline. Good luck :)

Omo bless your soul. Srry i actually meant what did the op mean by writing sample if i were to sign up as a writer. I'm confused if i should send em my masterpiece writing that involves chanyeol and me discussing how amazing he is. :dave:

Omo bless your soul. Srry i actually meant what did the op mean by writing sample if i were to sign up as a writer. I'm confused if i should send em my masterpiece writing that involves chanyeol and me discussing how amazing he is. dave.png

For a writer, you can include essentially any writing sample as long as it showcases your talent, passion and potential as a writer, as long as you include at least two pieces. I'm sure that would be fine to include :)

FINAL DAY

After today, no application will be accepted

• Like 3

I don't have any previous writing experience online so can I just make up something quickly to write about?

I don't have any previous writing experience online so can I just make up something quickly to write about?

Yes smile.png