• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OUO

OUO

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 02:38 AM

Recently I've been trying to get back into watching Jdramas, I picked 4 dramas I liked and suprisingly ALL of them had Satomi Ishihara as the female lead. I remember when the Johnnys boys were on every drama but they had a huge popularity back then. In Korea or even the US, actors choose one or two projects to film in a year but the few young Japanese actors seem to be rotating getting leads between and they usually have +4 projects a year. it doesn't seem like this only has to do with the actors' ambition, even if they want to take up a lot of work, if they don't get casted, they won't be able to. Japanese producers and scriptwriters are only offering jobs to the same actors over and over again or maybe there isn't enough young good looking actors so they have to give the roles to the same people everytime?

Kasumi Arimura, Satomi Ishihara, Mitsumi Takahata,Yuki Furukawa,Mirei Kiritani and Kengo Kora are some examples of usual leads.

Thoughts?

#2 Honeystan

Honeystan

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,538 posts
  • Locationthe Bridge to Terabithia.

Posted 17 April 2017 - 02:39 AM

lol. I remember when I watched a few J-dramas and many of them had some of the same actors or actresses. I just think a person who is liked a lot gets hired a lot. Kinda like at some points you can see certain Korean actresses or actors everywhere

#3 onesnowyday

onesnowyday

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts
  • Locationwaiting for Maaya's return ;-;

Posted 17 April 2017 - 02:40 AM

Rather than them lacking actors, it's an issue of popularity and giving what the public likes. 

Giving what they like = higher chance of success

#4 wiaraewiwiarae

wiaraewiwiarae

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,572 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 02:45 AM (Edited by wiaraewiwiarae, 17 April 2017 - 02:45 AM.)

That's because Queen with good taste in scripts snatched all those good dramas.hoplz.png

tumblr_o1vp2yucsA1qzux4zo1_400.gif

Watch Quartet. It's great and doesn't have Satomi.

#5 internal minsoo

internal minsoo

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 02:46 AM

How could you forget about Yamazaki Kento?

#6 OUO

OUO

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 03:05 AM

How could you forget about Yamazaki Kento?

I was gonna add him but the list would be too long. He's n°1 in my heart rlytearpls.png

#7 The Jany

The Jany

(◍•ᴗ•◍)♡ ✧*。

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,758 posts
  • Locationselling Paruru's miracle salt

Posted 17 April 2017 - 03:13 AM

There are many actors in the industry but producers rarely give rookies and new faces lead roles in drama because they usually lack the popularity to back it up. No matter how bad the storyline can be, viewers rating will still be decent if the casts is made of celebrity with public recognition

#8 cantnobody-

cantnobody-

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 03:29 AM

viewership of dramas is falling hard in japan - even staples like getsu dramas, taiga dramas are hitting low after low. tv stations are clearly getting desperate and trying for this nostalgia factor - pride couple's reunion, kamanashi & yamapi combo but even those are doing just okay. the last drama that broke 20% (iirc) was doctor x season 4. so a sequel.

so they're keeping it safe bc it's hard to get ratings as it is.

#9 The Talented One

The Talented One

Composer\Arranger\Lyricist

• PipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • LocationDirty Saggy United Kingdom

Posted 17 April 2017 - 03:29 AM

they do

#10 iamhere

iamhere

Super Rookie

• PipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts
  • LocationMinistry of Health and Welfare

Posted 17 April 2017 - 03:51 AM

Yamazaki Kento has been in every live action shoujo I've watched

#11 Deea

Deea

WTSQUAD

• PipPipPipPip
  • 9,895 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 04:09 AM

Yamazaki Kento has been in every live action shoujo I've watched

I want him to get a serious role like in death note tbh,he was really good there. 

#12 samhoe

samhoe

girl meets evil

• PipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Locationyoung forever

Posted 17 April 2017 - 04:24 AM

viewership of dramas is falling hard in japan - even staples like getsu dramas, taiga dramas are hitting low after low. tv stations are clearly getting desperate and trying for this nostalgia factor - pride couple's reunion, kamanashi & yamapi combo but even those are doing just okay. the last drama that broke 20% (iirc) was doctor x season 4. so a sequel.

so they're keeping it safe bc it's hard to get ratings as it is.

lol so thats y kame and yamapi r together again after all these years, really never thought i'd see that pairing ever again.

#13 Mayanee

Mayanee

Trainee

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 11:24 AM

Well there are the talented ones that are so versatile that I love seeing them in different roles:

Nikaido Fumi, Komatsu Nana and Suda Masaki can act despite being very overexposed.

I have seen Matsuoka Mayu and Kuroki Haru quiet a lot last year and they are always very good.

Ishihara Satomi and Takahata Mitsuki can act as well so I don't mind them.

Arimura Kasumi was good in Biri gal and Love that makes you cry however often people say that she has no expression/is deadpan. I am interested in her new projects Narratage and Sekigahara however. Narratage is interesting due to its theme and Sekigahara could be interesting since the cast is decent and Arimura hasn't had historical roles so far.

Then there are Kiritani Mirei and Hirose Suzu who are overexposed but aren't considered good actresses however often get lead roles.

#14 The Jany

The Jany

(◍•ᴗ•◍)♡ ✧*。

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,758 posts
  • Locationselling Paruru's miracle salt

Posted 17 April 2017 - 01:01 PM

Well there are the talented ones that are so versatile that I love seeing them in different roles:

Nikaido Fumi, Komatsu Nana and Suda Masaki can act despite being very overexposed.

I have seen Matsuoka Mayu and Kuroki Haru quiet a lot last year and they are always very good.

Ishihara Satomi and Takahata Mitsuki can act as well so I don't mind them.

Arimura Kasumi was good in Biri gal and Love that makes you cry however often people say that she has no expression/is deadpan. I am interested in her new projects Narratage and Sekigahara however. Narratage is interesting due to its theme and Sekigahara could be interesting since the cast is decent and Arimura hasn't had historical roles so far.

Then there are Kiritani Mirei and Hirose Suzu who are overexposed but aren't considered good actresses however often get lead roles.

I agree on everything except on these two

Nana isnt overexposed imo, at least definitely not on the same level as sudachi. She still have ways to go but her acting is decent enough

As for Suzu, I dont think she's that bad? there are still awkward scenes but she's been nailing her recent roles (but then again she played people with similar personality. I didnt watch The Mysterious Thief Yamaneko so idk about that one). Her popularity is crazy but I hope in the future she'll get more challenging roles

#15 dokidoki™

dokidoki™

ニャンニャン★

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts
  • Location/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Posted 17 April 2017 - 01:12 PM

Rather than them lacking actors, it's an issue of popularity and giving what the public likes. 

Giving what they like = higher chance of success

This

That's because Queen with good taste in scripts snatched all those good dramas.https://onehallyu.com//public/style_emot...

https://68.media.tumblr.com/c8206ff46bc0...

Watch Quartet. It's great and doesn't have Satomi.

Also, this! ha

#16 Hemlock

Hemlock

Xia♥Lock

• PipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts
  • LocationNever running from a real fight. She's the one named Sailor Moon!

Posted 17 April 2017 - 01:14 PM

Can never have too much Satomi!

#17 whitedove

whitedove

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 2,007 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:51 AM (Edited by whitedove, 18 April 2017 - 06:57 AM.)

Recently I've been trying to get back into watching Jdramas, I picked 4 dramas I liked and suprisingly ALL of them had Satomi Ishihara as the female lead. I remember when the Johnnys boys were on every drama but they had a huge popularity back then. In Korea or even the US, actors choose one or two projects to film in a year but the few young Japanese actors seem to be rotating getting leads between and they usually have +4 projects a year. it doesn't seem like this only has to do with the actors' ambition, even if they want to take up a lot of work, if they don't get casted, they won't be able to. Japanese producers and scriptwriters are only offering jobs to the same actors over and over again or maybe there isn't enough young good looking actors so they have to give the roles to the same people everytime?

Kasumi Arimura, Satomi Ishihara, Mitsumi Takahata,Yuki Furukawa,Mirei Kiritani and Kengo Kora are some examples of usual leads.

Thoughts?

lol. I remember when I watched a few J-dramas and many of them had some of the same actors or actresses. I just think a person who is liked a lot gets hired a lot. Kinda like at some points you can see certain Korean actresses or actors everywhere

There are 30+ dramas airing in Japan every season. Don't tell me that all 30+ dramas have those people you mentioned as leads? Have you even checked the listing for every season? This season alone, only Kiritani Mirei and Arimura Kasumi has a drama. No dramas for Ishihara, Takahata, Furukawa or Kora (Furukawa isn't even a go-to lead actor if compared to the people you've listed, by the way).

The thing is, out of 30+ drama aired per season, only like 10 get subbed, so that makes it like around 40 dramas per year that get subbed. And if your source of watching Jdramas is at streaming sites like Kissasian, then I'll have to tell you, that these sites only pick up like 3-4 dramas to be uploaded out of 10 that got subbed each season.

Japan has many actors if you even care to look at the whole industry. Let me give you an example from this season. Reverse has Fujiwara Tatsuya, Tamamori Yuta, Koike Teppei, Ichihara Hayato, all have experiences as lead actors. This drama has Fujiwara as the male lead, so the other 3 only play supporting leads, but that's the thing with Japan, they will still play supporting roles every now and then. Even an A-lister like Fujiwara has played many supporting roles in movies before.

Just check out this listing (and you can even check the lineup every season at the links below it), and you can see that a main actor doesn't even appear in more than 2 dramas per year: http://wiki.d-addict...Upcoming_JDrama

#18 OUO

OUO

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:04 AM

There are 30+ dramas airing in Japan every season. Don't tell me that all 30+ dramas have those people you mentioned as leads? Have you even checked the listing for every season? This season alone, only Kiritani Mirei has a drama. No dramas for Arimura, Ishihara, Takahata, Furukawa or Kora.

The thing is, out of 30+ drama aired per season, only like 10 get subbed, so that makes it like around 40 dramas per year that get subbed. And if your source of watching Jdramas is at streaming sites like Kissasian, then I'll have to tell you, that these sites only pick up like 3-4 dramas to be uploaded out of 10 that got subbed each season.

Japan has many actors if you even care to look at the whole industry. Let me give you an example from this season. Reverse has Fujiwara Tatsuya, Tamamori Yuta, Koike Teppei, Ichihara Hayato, all have experiences as lead actors. This drama has Fujiwara as the male lead, so the other 3 only play supporting leads, but that's the thing with Japan, they will still play supporting roles every now and then. Even an A-lister like Fujiwara has played many supporting roles in movies before.

Good read! We only get to see the subbed dramas, this was my general observation as I only got back to watching Jdramas recently. The examples I gave are from the back of mind, the actors/actresses with most leads are not even among that list. Even when they don't play leads they usually do supporting roles of that same drama with other popular actors. Among the 30+ dramas that get aired, the ones targeted at the 15-30 demographics usualy have the same trendy actors. There's no doubt the Japanese filming industry is so creative and full of variety that 30+ dramas in one season seem very plausible, I just wish on the actors front that variety was expressed as well.

#19 disbanded

disbanded

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:17 AM

Casting directors don't like to take risks. I don't think that's unique to Japan, but it does seem to be particularly a thing there. If they have an actor they know that people responded to well and liked in their last 5 dramas, they're gonna pick that person again rather than an unknown quantity. It's unfair and definitely shuts out new talent but that's what it is. Like people have said, drama market isn't doing great anyway so now isn't going to be the time for risk taking with the little audience there is.

#20 whitedove

whitedove

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 2,007 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:33 AM

Good read! We only get to see the subbed dramas, this was my general observation as I only got back to watching Jdramas recently. The examples I gave are from the back of mind, the actors/actresses with most leads are not even among that list. Even when they don't play leads they usually do supporting roles of that same drama with other popular actors. Among the 30+ dramas that get aired, the ones targeted at the 15-30 demographics usualy have the same trendy actors. There's no doubt the Japanese filming industry is so creative and full of variety that 30+ dramas in one season seem very plausible, I just wish on the actors front that variety was expressed as well.

Even among subbed dramas, I find it interesting to see that more than half of the dramas in this subbed list from last season are not trendy actors: http://fansub.d-addi...017#Winter_2017

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Jdrama, Johnnys, Yamapi, Satomi Ishihara, Kiko Mizuhara

Up, Up and Away!