Photo

As an international fan in 2006, Asian pop i-fandom was all about Johnny's. What happened?

Johnnys

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#61 babytruestar

babytruestar

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 237 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 22 March 2017 - 04:02 PM

The main problem the acces too Japanese entertainment is very restrictive. Their was a point where I was very intrested in Arashi , I tried too look them up but most things where blocked . Even subtitles where hard to come by. That's why I'm just listen casually too Japanese music.

Jpop would have been big if people had more acces too it. It definatly has it's charms, just like Kpop has it's own charms too.

#62 blahblahbah

blahblahbah

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 02:29 AM

I used to listen to a lottt of jpop back from early 2000s to 2010. Besides hello pro at the their peak I branched out to other artists to name a few, Crystal Kay, Nakashima Mika, Hinouchi Emi, she had a great songs. Non idol group Bright, which later became nanaka and the gang...(blame managment for that) they could all sing and dance on point at the same time.

I think most of the singers I listened to vanished because sales was difficult, wasn't mainstream enough for the jp audience probably. JP market is tough I'll say that.

Sent from my LG-H811 using OneHallyu mobile app

#63 IAmNice

IAmNice

Idol

• PipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 03:41 AM

So many young kids here. I think I'm in high school when I was introduced to asian ent for first time which mostly jpop, manga and dorama. The only one I still follow is j-dramas. I still remember being crazy over arashi at that time. Japan music wise,I lost my interest but I do pay attention to drama and movie soundtracks and that's about it. I am too lazy to backtrack this thread but J-fans these days irk me a lot.

#64 ❊SHERRY❊

❊SHERRY❊

Changmin's wife ♥

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,184 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Asia....

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:05 PM

it suck that JE is too restrictive cos i started to become a fan of Kame after watching few of his drama and idk where to watch his other tv shows besides drama. Good thing he's quite active as actor...

#65 Rainbow2k16

Rainbow2k16

Idol

• PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationTsongtso's thighs

Posted 23 March 2017 - 02:11 PM

Old gay Johnny took internet for granted because it was still not that big at that time.

#66 lavender mint

lavender mint

Cardcaptor

• PipPipPipPip
  • 8,745 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:35 PM

The main problem the acces too Japanese entertainment is very restrictive. Their was a point where I was very intrested in Arashi , I tried too look them up but most things where blocked . Even subtitles where hard to come by. That's why I'm just listen casually too Japanese music.
Jpop would have been big if people had more acces too it. It definatly has it's charms, just like Kpop has it's own charms too.

but Jpop used to not be so restrictive. It was extremely easy to be a Jpop fan in the early 00s because videos weren't blocked for copyright back then and you could watch any Jpop videos you wanted on Youtube. Nowadays when you search for a song you get results of shitty karaoke attempts most of the time rather than the actual song.

#67 lavender mint

lavender mint

Cardcaptor

• PipPipPipPip
  • 8,745 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:49 PM

I've drawn my conclusion from looking at the most popular idol groups/bands such as 48/46 groups, Clover Z, E-girls, Perfume, Baby Metal, Kattun, Exile, Arashi, Sexy Zones and looked through youtube channels such as Avex, Sony music Japan and others and honestly I don't see any of the groups stand up against newere kpop groups BTS, EXO, Twice, IOI, AoA etc

lol it's funny how you listed E-Girls among the groups you said can't hold a candle to newer Kpop groups when one of the members of one of the groups you listed LITERALLY trained at the SAME dance academy as E-Girls (*cough*Sana*cough*). Plus, a lot of E-Girls members are good at dancing.

Also BabyMetal is heavy metal-pop and there aren't any Kpop groups that utilize a mix of heavy metal and pop so you can't compare them to Kpop groups. The genre of music that they play is different from Kpop.

#68 Mischo

Mischo

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,730 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 05:26 AM (Edited by Mischo, 24 March 2017 - 05:28 AM.)

lol it's funny how you listed E-Girls among the groups you said can't hold a candle to newer Kpop groups when one of the members of one of the groups you listed LITERALLY trained at the SAME dance academy as E-Girls (*cough*Sana*cough*). Plus, a lot of E-Girls members are good at dancing.
Also BabyMetal is heavy metal-pop and there aren't any Kpop groups that utilize a mix of heavy metal and pop so you can't compare them to Kpop groups. The genre of music that they play is different from Kpop.

Hmm I don't think E-girls is worse than kpop groups, on the contrary they're probably better than most kpop groups. I should probably have worded my post better, because I was just pretty much generalizing but it does not include all groups like E-girls and Perfume for example

Although Baby Metal does heavy metal music, I still consider them an idol group because imo they're pretty much your j-idol group just doing heavy music

#69 DRK

DRK

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:23 AM (Edited by DRK, 24 March 2017 - 09:24 AM.)

So Perfume is more like Seiko Matsuda than AKB?

heck yeah
can't meet them
all communications are highly monitored
you don't even know if they take a shit or not, style of glorification

Can you give me the names of other current female idol-groups that are Showa-kei? So far the only ones I know of are Perfume and Babymetal.

#70 ShootAnonymous

ShootAnonymous

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:00 AM

Rate of releases/activities maybe? I haven't followed J-music in a while, but many Kpop groups are frighteningly prolific sometimes.

And I'm not sure why, but while reading this thread my thoughts went to other supporting factors. Like the rise of K-dramas. And K-varieties. (which is interesting because K-entertainment borrows a lot from existing stuff in J-entertainment -- as loathe as their fans are to admit it)

I'm still into anime/manga, so I occasionally listen to J-pop (as sh!t as the anime was, One Me Two Hearts by Hitorie is such a great song :3). But ever since the demise of my favourite band (Kagrra,) I haven't quite been able to muster my old teenage enthusiasm for J-music ):

P.S. Does FEMM qualify as an idol group?

#71 chikachan

chikachan

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:26 PM

Do you think JE missed a chance by not capitalizing their former monopoly on international fans and waited for K-Pop to scoop that market up? I know a lot will say "but J-Pop has a bigger market/earns more blah blah" but let's accept it, there was once a huge impact that's completely lost now. Back in the day fans pulled all kinds of stunts to score lottery concert tickets and Friday was the Dispatch of our time. Despite what people say, it's obvious JE has lost it's impact nowadays and is slowly becoming a shadow of it's former glory.

More like, they don't care that much about it? They probably thought that going internationally won't be as profitable compared to staying in Japan. Touring and releasing music outside Japan might help them gain fans but gaining popularity in their homeland is more of a success to them in the long run. 

#72 gyrobot

gyrobot

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:31 PM

More like, they don't care that much about it? They probably thought that going internationally won't be as profitable compared to staying in Japan. Touring and releasing music outside Japan might help them gain fans but gaining popularity in their homeland is more of a success to them in the long run. 

This is exactly it, look at it this way. JE's execs want assurance that the profit is solid and not affected by piracy losses and the belief that word of mouth from fans online can compensate for losses from piracy. Most musicians these days over here make their bread by having their music sponsored by products and inserted into ads. Johnny is one of the few companies that has survived the infamous period of digital piracy mostly intact by keeping their stuff strictly physical and not only survived but prospered and basically writes the rules to succeeding in Japan's music scene. 

It is better for their only pirates to be behind extremely limited methods and be able to earn a neat 30 bucks from physical sales.

#73 DocumentaLy

DocumentaLy

Bitchy but accurate

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,688 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:43 PM

Rate of releases/activities maybe? I haven't followed J-music in a while, but many Kpop groups are frighteningly prolific sometimes.

And I'm not sure why, but while reading this thread my thoughts went to other supporting factors. Like the rise of K-dramas. And K-varieties. (which is interesting because K-entertainment borrows a lot from existing stuff in J-entertainment -- as loathe as their fans are to admit it)

I'm still into anime/manga, so I occasionally listen to J-pop (as sh!t as the anime was, One Me Two Hearts by Hitorie is such a great song :3). But ever since the demise of my favourite band (Kagrra,) I haven't quite been able to muster my old teenage enthusiasm for J-music ):

P.S. Does FEMM qualify as an idol group?

It goes back into that whole think of KPop fans wanting a lifestyle centered about KPop. I don't think most people who listen to Japanese music are the same way.

#74 jaehyunnie_

jaehyunnie_

Trainee

• Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Locationdrowning in jaehyun's dimples

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:10 PM

TVXQ (Tohoshinki) and Super Junior happened... They were the ones who opened the gates for the Hallyu boom imo....LEGENDARY

#75 DocumentaLy

DocumentaLy

Bitchy but accurate

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,688 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:58 PM

Can you give me the names of other current female idol-groups that are Showa-kei? So far the only ones I know of are Perfume and Babymetal.

Tokyo Girls Style and Momoiro Clover Z

#76 DRK

DRK

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 12:47 AM

Tokyo Girls Style and Momoiro Clover Z

Thanks.

It goes back into that whole think of KPop fans wanting a lifestyle centered about KPop. I don't think most people who listen to Japanese music are the same way.

I think so too.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Johnnys

Up, Up and Away!