Photo

As an international fan in 2006, Asian pop i-fandom was all about Johnny's. What happened?

Johnnys

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
115 replies to this topic

#1 Hyooga

Hyooga

GLOBAL SONYEONDAN IS MY BIAS

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:29 PM

I was a fan in 2005 of Asian Pop - Mandopop, K-Pop, J-Pop

Back then, it was all Multiply, Livejournal, Soompi, etc but mainly LJ for both K-Pop and J-Pop needs.

In that era, JE (Johnny's Entertainment) was the JYP/SM/YG not only for J-Pop, but for Asian Pop fandom. You'll meet a lot of people into Mandopop or K-Pop but it was almost certain they were a JE fangirl stanning either KAT-TUN (who were massively popular EXO levels), NEWS, Yamapi, etc. Especially Kame, Jin, Yamapi those three had fandoms with a lot of impact.

Do you think JE missed a chance by not capitalizing their former monopoly on international fans and waited for K-Pop to scoop that market up? I know a lot will say "but J-Pop has a bigger market/earns more blah blah" but let's accept it, there was once a huge impact that's completely lost now. Back in the day fans pulled all kinds of stunts to score lottery concert tickets and Friday was the Dispatch of our time. Despite what people say, it's obvious JE has lost it's impact nowadays and is slowly becoming a shadow of it's former glory.

#2 Princess Yelena

Princess Yelena

皇后

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:31 PM

I was 7 back then

#3 yuta's old chin

yuta's old chin

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:33 PM

hallyu happened

#4 º° Platinum °º

º° Platinum °º

⋆  🎀 Platinum 🎀  ⋆

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,360 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:33 PM

damn I was 4 back in 2006 wth

#5 양 지

양 지

💪 Low Key Hercules ✌

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,009 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:34 PM

I was 7 back then

I was 5/6 lol

#6 ♔ Sana Minatozaki ♔

♔ Sana Minatozaki ♔

♔ Goddess & Grandmaster ♔

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,125 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:35 PM

I was 7 back then

Sent from my iPhone using OneHallyu mobile app

#7 양 지

양 지

💪 Low Key Hercules ✌

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,009 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:35 PM

and all the fetuses gathered...

#8 Taehyung's Elephant

Taehyung's Elephant

« ► 방탄소년단 ™ ■ »

• PipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:36 PM

I just started listening to DBSK back then, but I wasn't rly active in other aspects (I didn't even know they existed).

#9 blank_stare

blank_stare

BLANK

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,321 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:37 PM (Edited by blank_stare, 20 March 2017 - 05:39 PM.)

They thought they didn't have that much fan and were exclusive in Japan only. We only got a glimpse of Johnny's group because of Internet.

#10 Hyooga

Hyooga

GLOBAL SONYEONDAN IS MY BIAS

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:41 PM

They thought they didn't have that much fan and were exclusive in Japan only. We only got a glimpse of Johnny's group because of Internet.

They obviously knew they had international fans though - JE CDs were among the top sellers in YesAsia back then and Tegomass even went to Europe to have a fanmeet.

#11 s4a

s4a

Cheshire

• Tech Administrator
  • 8,426 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:44 PM

It's starting to shift back around.

#12 blank_stare

blank_stare

BLANK

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,321 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:48 PM

They obviously knew they had international fans though - JE CDs were among the top sellers in YesAsia back then and Tegomass even went to Europe to have a fanmeet.

Yes but not in a way that they would frequent. And that's only in Europe and US. But now they're trying to get the pull back again. They even have twitter now or so naive heard.it was not of a fanservice rather than acknowledging they had a fan base. Plus they value more their local fans than international, which is why they last more than the Kpop groups.

#13 Imovedtoadifferentaccount

Imovedtoadifferentaccount

Debutee

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:52 PM

I was like 14 lol but I was mainly into anime at the time until late 2007.

#14 greenncloudy

greenncloudy

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:54 PM

Because the directors are oldies that doesn't realize the internet impact. Johnny-san is 80s, i heard he's been not really well these days that most of his executive jobs are handed to his niece Julie who is around 60s. But Julie is under controlled of her mother, who is Johnny-san's older sister -- 90 years old.

Also i still don't understand why they restrict their artists pictures on internet and tv. Even if their groups are on magazine cover, the publisher have to blur out their faces when promoting online.

I used to think that Japan is very exclusive country, but then i looked at non-Johnnys artists and they are very open about internet, esp youtube and instagram.

I really hope they change their management and PR strategy. At least pls let their pictures to be shown on internet, and make youtube accounts rlytearpls.png  post their short pvs there rlytearpls.png

It's so frustrating to be international Johnnys fan

#15 Mischo

Mischo

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,344 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:56 PM

I think J-acts would be more popular if they focused more on the international market, but Kpop would still have been far more popular for numerous of reasons

#16 WaitingDB5K

WaitingDB5K

Certified Sejeongster & Jaejoong's muse

• PipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:08 PM

I remember how I was a big fan of Yamapi... but TVXQ happened imstupid.png

#17 OUO

OUO

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,202 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:09 PM

While Korean companies encouraged sharing on social media and adding subtitles to their videos,  JE blocked every source and outlet that tried to share their songs and translated videos. Kpop is much more enjoyable because you have all these resources and endless translated content compared to the restricted Jpop. The Japanese never wanted to share Jpop with the world anyways so I don't think they see it as a loss.

#18 Commissioner Ayyu

Commissioner Ayyu

Star

• Events Team
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:22 PM

hallyu happened, and kpop is soo much more accessible  compared to jpop , especially johnny groups.

i  still find it very hard finding subbed varitey shows alot of the subs are hidden behind livejournals communities when it comes to johnny.

thought other jidols like AKB48 have less restriction on copy right, so subs are freely availble hence AKB48 fans have a bigger presence imo.

its just johnny with their ridicolus copy right maing it impossible for the international fandom to grow tbh.

if johny lessened the copy rights the international fandom would be bigger.

#19 dokidoki™

dokidoki™

☾オタク#3000★

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,167 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:34 PM

The Japanese Entertainment Industry just doesn't focus that much on International Fanbases, hence why a lot of casual fans have a hard time accessing their Music and other forms of Entertainment, to add to that the Copyright Policies in place mean that some Content is only up for a few days or less before it gets removed, but if you know where to look, it's really not hard to find content.

#20 Jeffrey Jung

Jeffrey Jung

DΞΔN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,671 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:19 PM

Because the directors are oldies that doesn't realize the internet impact. Johnny-san is 80s, i heard he's been not really well these days that most of his executive jobs are handed to his niece Julie who is around 60s. But Julie is under controlled of her mother, who is Johnny-san's older sister -- 90 years old.

Also i still don't understand why they restrict their artists pictures on internet and tv. Even if their groups are on magazine cover, the publisher have to blur out their faces when promoting online.

I used to think that Japan is very exclusive country, but then i looked at non-Johnnys artists and they are very open about internet, esp youtube and instagram.

I really hope they change their management and PR strategy. At least pls let their pictures to be shown on internet, and make youtube accounts https://onehallyu.com//public/style_emot... post their short pvs there https://onehallyu.com//public/style_emot...

It's so frustrating to be international Johnnys fan

In conclusion damn old people

Up, Up and Away!