Search Engine

Advanced Search

Photo
* * * * - 27 votes

The Girls' Generation Sales Thread - Asia's Best Selling Girl Group Ever! [Under Construction]

Girls Generation SNSD GG SoShi Korea Japan USA sales billboard

550 replies to this topic

#441 Sooyoung

Sooyoung

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:07 AM

Japanese album sales, Japanese yearly singles chart positions, Korean digital sales deflated following the Gaon mess of mid 2013, My Oh My and Gossip Girls Korean sales updated. 

Total sales stands at 52,528,093+, non including Japanese, non-single, digital sales, Japanese digital sales post Paparazzi, Korean digital sales pre Gee and more up-to-date album sales. 

#442 shugo

shugo

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,105 posts
  • LocationPink Ocean

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:09 AM

Japanese album sales, Japanese yearly singles chart positions, Korean digital sales deflated following the Gaon mess of mid 2013, My Oh My and Gossip Girls Korean sales updated.

Total sales stands at 52,528,093+, non including Japanese, non-single, digital sales, Japanese digital sales post Paparazzi, Korean digital sales pre Gee and more up-to-date album sales.

53 millions are both digital and physical right?? :o

#443 Sooyoung

Sooyoung

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:11 AM

53 millions are both digital and physical right?? :o

Yes, they are physical and digital combined! There are some sales missing like digitals between 2007-08, Japanese digitals post-Paparazzi though.

#444 ~Yotsubato~

~Yotsubato~

S♥NE Crusader~~~

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:14 PM

vote for the girls!

https://docs.google....MFL4xU/viewform

#445 PhoSoup

PhoSoup

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:01 PM (Edited by Zuyen, 06 January 2014 - 02:02 PM.)

So the number on this list isn't accurate ? http://en.wikipedia....ing_girl_groups Shouldn't they be higher, then ?  :ahmagah:

#446 Sooyoung

Sooyoung

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:12 PM

So the number on this list isn't accurate ? http://en.wikipedia....ing_girl_groups Shouldn't they be higher, then ?  :ahmagah:

If you look at the first page, you will see 52.5 million confirmed sales. The figure there is literally pulled out of nowhere. However, as I have said, the figure I am giving you is fairly modest because it doesn't include a hefty amount of sales. 

I would estimate that SNSD have sold 65 million in total, making them the second best selling female group, ever. It will be roughly two years until they are the best selling female group ever. 

#447 PhoSoup

PhoSoup

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:37 PM (Edited by Zuyen, 06 January 2014 - 05:37 PM.)

If you look at the first page, you will see 52.5 million confirmed sales. The figure there is literally pulled out of nowhere. However, as I have said, the figure I am giving you is fairly modest because it doesn't include a hefty amount of sales. 

I would estimate that SNSD have sold 65 million in total, making them the second best selling female group, ever. It will be roughly two years until they are the best selling female group ever. 

Thanks for the clarification ! Damn, definitely one of the greatest girl groups of all time.  :hurr:

#448 lulu0987

lulu0987

Idol

• PipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Locationin your head

Posted 06 January 2014 - 06:28 PM

Seriously sone?

other groups selling physical only and then based on wikipedia u combine physical and digital sales to reach best-selling girlgroup all the time,

wow.

#449 abra

abra

Nation's First Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,055 posts
  • LocationSoju tastes sweet when your life gets bitter

Posted 06 January 2014 - 06:35 PM

The thread title and that wikipedia page...

#450 MoshiMoshi

MoshiMoshi

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,682 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 06:58 PM

Seriously sone?

other groups selling physical only and then based on wikipedia u combine physical and digital sales to reach best-selling girlgroup all the time,

wow.

What? Why wouldn't you combine physical and digital sales? It's how the industry works now. It makes no sense to only use physical sales in the year 2014 when tons of people only buy music through iTunes.

I do agree that using a wikipedia chart as the basis is pretty stupid, though all of the kpop groups on that chart had digital numbers factored in, not just SNSD.

#451 lulu0987

lulu0987

Idol

• PipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Locationin your head

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:41 PM

What? Why wouldn't you combine physical and digital sales? It's how the industry works now. It makes no sense to only use physical sales in the year 2014 when tons of people only buy music through iTunes.

I do agree that using a wikipedia chart as the basis is pretty stupid, though all of the kpop groups on that chart had digital numbers factored in, not just SNSD.

Yeah, do your argument to Gaon, Billboard, Oricon, Itunes chart, etc

there's a reason why they make digital chart and physical chart separately.

#452 MoshiMoshi

MoshiMoshi

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,682 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:00 PM

I don't understand what you were trying to say with that first part.

Just because there are separate charts for physical and digital doesn't mean it wouldn't be combined if you're looking for TOTAL sales, which is what this thread is for, and which is what that wikipedia chart was attempting to show. Even though that chart isn't credible, with correct numbers you could still figure out the best-selling girl groups and yes, you would combine digital and physical sales because that's how things are sold now. If we were talking about the best-selling girl groups physically and the best-selling girl groups digitally, then you would have a point, but we're not. Total sales = every album sold, regardless of format. In the year 2014, that is both digital and physical albums.

Honestly, it's hard to compare sales in the industry pre- and post-digital age anyway. The best way to figure out the best selling groups would be two charts, one for sales before the digital age and one after.

#453 PhoSoup

PhoSoup

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:41 AM (Edited by Zuyen, 07 January 2014 - 06:03 AM.)

Seriously sone?

wow.

1- As far as I know, that Wikipedia page (as inaccurate as it may be) is the list of best-selling girl groups, not a list of best-selling physical girl groups.

2- If you sell songs digitally, it's still sales. Thus countable to establish a list of best-selling girl groups.

3- The sales figures in this thread were NOT based on those from Wikipedia.

4- Physical and digital sales are combined in all major charts (such as the Billboard Hot 100 or the Billboard 200) nowadays because the physical industry is dead.

5- Combining both still makes it hard for SNSD to chart considering 1) they're an Asian act, 2) it's a lot harder to sell records in the context of today's industry than it was when other girl groups (Spice Girls, TLC, Destiny's Child, etc.) were active, mainly because of piracy.

6- Questioning the fact that groups that are/were active before and after the physical industry crashed are put on the same level is another question.

1- Billboard counts both physical and digital sales.

2- iTunes is an online music store, there's not even a physical chart.

#454 Sooyoung

Sooyoung

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:44 AM

Seriously sone?

wow.

The other groups are only physical because they pre-date the digital era. 

Regardless, your comment attempts to invalidate the importance of digital sales so listen up boo; we are no longer living in the 1990's. People don't sell physicals anymore and just because Korea can make the transition to digital sales unlike the basic, Japanese, in-need-of-a-trip-to-a-Gangnam-clinic hoe in your icon, doesn't mean that SNSD haven't sold 52.5 million records, records now meaning 'single, album and DVD sales of either a physical or digital format', even if in reality, they have actually sold between 65-70 million. 

tumblr_myjstsnfEm1ql5yr7o1_400.gif

The thread title and that wikipedia page...

That wikipedia page was bullshit in saying SNSD have sold 37 million records when they have actually sold 52.5 million confirmed and 65-70 million throughout their career. And  my thread has collected stats from only Gaon, Oricon, Hanteo and Billboard. 52.5 million officially confirmed sales is nothing short of the truth. Deal with it, boo.

Ny-entrance.gif

Wikipedia is not the basis of any of the numbers provided in this thread though, as you are aware, sis. Although, suggesting that SNSD are the 'confirmed', 3rd best selling girl group ever was done based on the citations provided on the wikipedia page.

Your incoherent English isn't helping your flawed logic. 

Sales are sales, be it digital or physical.

TIFFANY_POLLARD_3.gif

1- As far as I know, that Wikipedia page (as inaccurate as it may be) is the list of best-selling girl groups, not a list of best-selling physical girl groups.

2- If you sell songs digitally, it's still sales. Thus countable to establish a list of best-selling girl groups.

4- Physical and digital sales are combined in all major charts (such as the Billboard Hot 100 or the Billboard 200) nowadays because the physical industry is dead.

5- Combining both still makes it hard for SNSD to chart considering 1) they're an Asian act, 2) it's a lot harder to sell records in the context of today's industry than it was when other girl groups (Spice Girls, TLC, Destiny's Child, etc.) were active, mainly because of piracy.

6- Questioning the fact that groups that are/were active before and after the physical industry crashed are put on the same level is another question.

Clock ha', sis.

ny-tittyshake.gif

#455 abra

abra

Nation's First Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,055 posts
  • LocationSoju tastes sweet when your life gets bitter

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:51 AM

Don't Billboard have a price limit (due to Gaga almost giving away BTW for free)?

Wikipedia is not the basis of any of the numbers provided in this thread though, as you are aware, sis. Although, suggesting that SNSD are the 'confirmed', 3rd best selling girl group ever was done based on the citations provided on the wikipedia page.

I'm not doubting the sales numbers but I doubt that digital sales are included in all girl groups in that Wikipedia list.

#456 Sooyoung

Sooyoung

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:55 AM

Don't Billboard have a price limit (due to Gaga almost giving away BTW for free)?

I'm not doubting the sales numbers but I doubt that digital sales are included in all girl groups in that Wikipedia list.

They have price limits, yes. These change at times though. Regardless, these limitations and whatnot have pre-dated the release of Born This Way anyway. 

Girl groups are a thing of the past though, even now in Korea. Therefore, many of the acts pre-date the digital era. However, acts like Sugababes, Girls' Aloud and The Pussycat Dolls all have accurate numbers provided, composed of physical and digital releases. Therefore, with the inclusion of digital sales for this, SNSD should be included to, making them, on this list, the third best selling girl group ever. 

#457 Sooyoung

Sooyoung

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:57 AM

Wikipedia is useless anyway. However, that is not to say that SNSD aren't the third best selling girl group ever or the speculated second best selling girl group ever, lets make that clear everyone.

#458 MoshiMoshi

MoshiMoshi

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,682 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:20 AM

Wow, so many people mad that SNSD outsells their faves. Slay, ladies.

I was just agreeing that a wikipedia article isn't the best way to figure these things out. I know you put a lot of work into finding and compiling sales numbers so these are pretty accurate :) Thanks for that~

I think it's fair to assume they are one of the best-selling girl groups worldwide. They've definitely surpassed any kpop girl group and unlike The Spice Girls, TLC, Destiny's Child, have the advantage of their popularity happening way after the digital age where buying music online is the norm. People are just mad.

#459 Sooyoung

Sooyoung

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:14 AM

I think it's fair to assume they are one of the best-selling girl groups worldwide. They've definitely surpassed any kpop girl group and unlike The Spice Girls, TLC, Destiny's Child, have the advantage of their popularity happening way after the digital age where buying music online is the norm. People are just mad.

People don't seem to understand how buying culture has changed either. With online piracy rife in the digital age, this can be combated without streaming by low prices, witnessed in Korea. So should Korean digital sales be considered illegitimate or invalid on the basis that they Korea has created a music culture that enables people to easily buy songs? No. 

There are so many 'ands' and 'buts' that are pertaining to this topic that the only way it can be done is by ignoring them and combining the sales, no matter what territory, music buying culture or era they come from. 

And yes, the second best selling girl group ever, and by the end of the 2015, the best selling girl-group ever have everyone fuming. 

The impact.

TIFFANY_POLLARD_9.gif

#460 lulu0987

lulu0987

Idol

• PipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Locationin your head

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:13 PM

The other groups are only physical because they pre-date the digital era. 

Regardless, your comment attempts to invalidate the importance of digital sales so listen up boo; we are no longer living in the 1990's. People don't sell physicals anymore and just because Korea can make the transition to digital sales unlike the basic, Japanese, in-need-of-a-trip-to-a-Gangnam-clinic hoe in your icon, doesn't mean that SNSD haven't sold 52.5 million records, records now meaning 'single, album and DVD sales of either a physical or digital format', even if in reality, they have actually sold between 65-70 million. 

http://24.media.tumblr.com/75d8b824be82f...

That wikipedia page was bullshit in saying SNSD have sold 37 million records when they have actually sold 52.5 million confirmed and 65-70 million throughout their career. And  my thread has collected stats from only Gaon, Oricon, Hanteo and Billboard. 52.5 million officially confirmed sales is nothing short of the truth. Deal with it, boo.

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20...

Your incoherent English isn't helping your flawed logic. 

Sales are sales, be it digital or physical.

Clock ha', sis.

Sone's logic is amazing.

Up, Up and Away!