Please use your display name or email address to log in! User names are defunct. If your display name had special characters, log in with your email address and update your display name asap. ×
Forums Rules Staff Calendar Leaderboard Activity Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wiz109

The Literature Thread

What is your favourite genre?  

598 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite genre?

Posted (edited)

I know.. I thought the same too until I saw raves and raves about Six Of Crows.

After reading, it is really 100x better than the Grisha trilogy. Every character was likable in their own distinctive ways. You should try it one day.

I'm considering it tbh so many people are telling me to read it ._. I just don't trust her when comes to characters and I'm too scared to be disappointed ._.

Edited by Sofs

I'm considering it tbh so many people are telling me to read it ._. I just don't trust her when comes to characters and I'm too scared to be disappointed ._.

Let me tell you, the improvement Leigh Bardugo made when it comes to her characters, plot and writing is amazing. She actually listened to her fan's concerns and critism.

I wasn't a huge fan of Shadow and Bone, but Six of Crows blew me away.

Finished Defy Me by Tahereh Mafi and i'm ASDFGHJKLÇ dead my wig

Posted (edited)

Recently finished:

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo: It was alright, not mind-blowing, but it did make me wanna clean up my closets a bit and I have now trash bags full of clothes to give away. However, a lot of things in her book I won't bother to do nor apply because it doesn't fit me and who I am, and also a lot of things she relates were a bit cringey and questionable, but I could also feel how heartfelt she was about her beliefs. 6/10

Bleu Puzzle by Nathalie Dau: a tiny novel of a hundred pages that was extra-fantasist in a good way, even though the writing felt a bit over-the-top for nothing at times. Still an overall pleasant ride though. 6/10

The Woman with the Colt 45 by Marie Redonnet: Another tiny novel of a hundred pages that turned out to be a fresh surprise, the writing style was definitely peculiar yet good and entertaining, following the story of coming of age and independence of a middle-age women during wartime, and I really enjoyed it lots. 7/10

Currently just started reading:

Beauté Fatale (Fatal Beauty) by Mona Chollet: Adding another essay to the big pile of feminist essays I own, after having read The Second Sex (1st volume) by Simone De Beauvoir, I needed a slight break from De Beauvoir but still need to read up on feminism. So Mona Chollet it is! She's currently having a lot of popularity with her more recent essay "Sorcières (Witches)" but I decided to read Beauté Fatale first, treating about the alienation of the cult of women's beauty in today's society, especially in France. So far I like her style, very straight-to-the-point and sometimes sarcastic, but definitely spilling tea all around.

Edited by Delphine

just realized i haven't read a series in like...six years. i guess stand alones have been my go-to. anyone have series recommendations that (preferably) aren't high fantasy?

currently reading the autobiography of red and i just wanna say this is like... peak suffering i'm in love

currently reading the collected poems of emily dickinson...only problem is that the edition i picked up is the edited version without the dashes and original capitalization, word choices, etc.  now i want to find a book with the transcripts of the original fascicles :imstupid:

Sick of YA fantasy being a constant disappointment...

Edited by deadnerys
  • Tea 1

didn't know OH was back

went on a reading spree

The Goldfinch

The Poppy War

River God

To All the Boys I've Loved Before

The Huntress

and I am still behind on my reading challenge...smh

On 10/19/2019 at 7:39 AM, wiz109 said:

didn't know OH was back

went on a reading spree

The Goldfinch

The Poppy War

River God

To All the Boys I've Loved Before

The Huntress

and I am still behind on my reading challenge...smh

I’ve been wanting to read The Poppy War for awhile now, is it any good?

8 hours ago, deadnerys said:

I’ve been wanting to read The Poppy War for awhile now, is it any good?

For a debut novel it was alright.  I love fantasy and world building and character depth, so it left me wanting more for those things.

She's got a pretty no nonsense way of writing and it can get pretty dark and gory at times.  Still worth reading imo, I am sticking with the series

to see if it will give me more depth of the gods and world.