Search Engine

Advanced Search

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

The Literature Thread

3103 replies to this topic

Poll: The Literature Thread (597 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your favourite genre?

1. Non- Fiction (107 votes [5.60%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.60%

2. Fiction (358 votes [18.74%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.74%

3. Fantasy (302 votes [15.81%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.81%

4. Mystery (212 votes [11.10%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.10%

5. Horror (107 votes [5.60%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.60%

6. Sci-Fi (135 votes [7.07%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.07%

7. Romance (194 votes [10.16%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.16%

8. Chick-Lit (71 votes [3.72%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.72%

9. Historical (146 votes [7.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.64%

10. Voted Classics (176 votes [9.21%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.21%

11. Other (102 votes [5.34%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.34%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#3101 Sofs

Sofs

#StanKimSojung

• ~ Awards Team ~
  • 19,944 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 05:41 PM (Edited by Sofs, 19 March 2019 - 05:42 PM.)

I know.. I thought the same too until I saw raves and raves about Six Of Crows.

After reading, it is really 100x better than the Grisha trilogy. Every character was likable in their own distinctive ways. You should try it one day.

I'm considering it tbh so many people are telling me to read it ._. I just don't trust her when comes to characters and I'm too scared to be disappointed ._.

#3102 moving castle

moving castle

sweet as sugar poison

• PipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 03:11 AM

I'm considering it tbh so many people are telling me to read it ._. I just don't trust her when comes to characters and I'm too scared to be disappointed ._.

Let me tell you, the improvement Leigh Bardugo made when it comes to her characters, plot and writing is amazing. She actually listened to her fan's concerns and critism.
I wasn't a huge fan of Shadow and Bone, but Six of Crows blew me away.

#3103 Sofs

Sofs

#StanKimSojung

• ~ Awards Team ~
  • 19,944 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 05:32 PM

Finished Defy Me by Tahereh Mafi and i'm ASDFGHJKLÇ dead my wig

#3104 Delphine

Delphine

Certified Sommungchi

• Hall OH Fame
  • 22,725 posts
  • LocationSommungchi's headquarters!

Posted 08 April 2019 - 04:41 AM (Edited by Delphine, 08 April 2019 - 04:58 AM.)

Recently finished:

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo: It was alright, not mind-blowing, but it did make me wanna clean up my closets a bit and I have now trash bags full of clothes to give away. However, a lot of things in her book I won't bother to do nor apply because it doesn't fit me and who I am, and also a lot of things she relates were a bit cringey and questionable, but I could also feel how heartfelt she was about her beliefs. 6/10

Bleu Puzzle by Nathalie Dau: a tiny novel of a hundred pages that was extra-fantasist in a good way, even though the writing felt a bit over-the-top for nothing at times. Still an overall pleasant ride though. 6/10

The Woman with the Colt 45 by Marie Redonnet: Another tiny novel of a hundred pages that turned out to be a fresh surprise, the writing style was definitely peculiar yet good and entertaining, following the story of coming of age and independence of a middle-age women during wartime, and I really enjoyed it lots. 7/10

Currently just started reading:

Beauté Fatale (Fatal Beauty) by Mona Chollet: Adding another essay to the big pile of feminist essays I own, after having read The Second Sex (1st volume) by Simone De Beauvoir, I needed a slight break from De Beauvoir but still need to read up on feminism. So Mona Chollet it is! She's currently having a lot of popularity with her more recent essay "Sorcières (Witches)" but I decided to read Beauté Fatale first, treating about the alienation of the cult of women's beauty in today's society, especially in France. So far I like her style, very straight-to-the-point and sometimes sarcastic, but definitely spilling tea all around.

Up, Up and Away!