Search Engine

Advanced Search

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The Literature Thread

3070 replies to this topic

Poll: The Literature Thread (591 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your favourite genre?

1. Non- Fiction (104 votes [5.51%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.51%

2. Fiction (356 votes [18.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.86%

3. Fantasy (298 votes [15.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.78%

4. Mystery (209 votes [11.07%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.07%

5. Horror (106 votes [5.61%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.61%

6. Sci-Fi (133 votes [7.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.04%

7. Romance (193 votes [10.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.22%

8. Chick-Lit (71 votes [3.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.76%

9. Historical (144 votes [7.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.63%

10. Voted Classics (174 votes [9.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.22%

11. Other (100 votes [5.30%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.30%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#3061 Map_Linh

Map_Linh

An Armchair, Egg and Blonk

• PipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • Location“Maybe the winter wind might not be that harsh. Things like this does happen when you live long enough.. You must stay alive to see this.”

Posted 13 November 2018 - 11:44 PM

I wish GRRM would just surprise us with the Winds of Winter right before the premiere of GoT season 8

But tenor.gif?itemid=5619444

#3062 silverlining

silverlining

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,770 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 07:42 PM

I wish GRRM would just surprise us with the Winds of Winter right before the premiere of GoT season 8

But https://media1.tenor.com/images/a2422485...

More realistically he's gonna drop dead before the last two books are released and someone else is going to have to piece together what has been written to complete the series.

#3063 Po’etry

Po’etry

Idol

• PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationOn my island.

Posted 15 November 2018 - 11:47 AM (Edited by Po’etry, 15 November 2018 - 11:49 AM.)

Edith Wharton
The Age of Innocence
Ethan Frome

Kurt Vonnegut
Slaughterhouse-Five

Milan Kundera
The Unbearablelightness of Being

I’m making an effort to stop reading what has not been baptized by time.

#3064 jiyo

jiyo

300 Fox Way

• OH! Press
  • 12,662 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 11:13 AM (Edited by jiyo, 18 November 2018 - 11:18 AM.)

Hellooo!

I finished the All For The Game trilogy a couple of days ago after reading the books nonstop for 3 days and I just wanna recommend these books for everyone omg. It's so freaking awesome! It was the perfect thing to read and get me out of my reading slump... The Raven Cycle fans usually recommend this trilogy and I totally see why. It's very character driven, very dark and twisty - it has many TWs, it can get really heavy - but I'm in love with it. Nora Sakavic, the author, is a whole amazing person and I can't until to read what she'll publish next!

No matter what I do I always end up coming back to YA... But oh well that will have to do until Gillian Flynn releases a new book lmao

I'm planning on starting Poison Study, The Shadow Year and Vicious soon. I'm pretty excited about that last one since I've been hearing about V.E. Schwab for years now and I've been dying to check her books out!

#3065 Map_Linh

Map_Linh

An Armchair, Egg and Blonk

• PipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • Location“Maybe the winter wind might not be that harsh. Things like this does happen when you live long enough.. You must stay alive to see this.”

Posted 04 December 2018 - 04:46 AM (Edited by Map_Linh, 05 December 2018 - 03:06 AM.)

I’d like to give some rec for the OP :)

Margaret Atwood:
Handmaid’s Tale
https://www.goodread...rom_search=true

Marjane Satrapi
Persepolis

Haruki Murakami
Norwegian Wood

Kanae Minato
Confessions

Daniel Handler
Why We Broke Up
https://www.goodread...why-we-broke-up

#3066 jiyo

jiyo

300 Fox Way

• OH! Press
  • 12,662 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 07:00 AM

I've been reading happy LGBT books and wow, it's magical. I was out of the loop when it came to these books... I have just now read Love, Simon by Becky Albertalli and The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee. Both are so sweet and fun but also managed me to get hella soppyrlytearpls.png Last year I read Peter Darling by Austin Chant and that's another book I recommend to literally everyone, it's the cutest!

Now I wanna read Ash by Malinda Lo, Everything Leads To You by Nina LaCour and Sawkill Girls by Claire Legrand. Aristotle and Dante is on my list too of course<3 I'm also rereading Blue Lily, Lily Blue. It's one of my favorite books so I always come back to it somehowrlytearpls.png

#3067 maindo

maindo

Idol

• PipPip
  • 337 posts
  • LocationHanoi

Posted 09 December 2018 - 11:49 AM (Edited by maindo, 09 December 2018 - 11:51 AM.)

I rarely read fiction but anyone can give me rec on the best ones, max 400 pg. I like one with interesting lead and smart plot and element of suspense. Not romance.

Also, anyone give me rec for books that teach layman economics interestingly. I heard Freakanomics is good.

#3068 OmegaStar

OmegaStar

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,608 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 06:01 PM (Edited by OmegaStar, 09 December 2018 - 06:01 PM.)

I rarely read fiction but anyone can give me rec on the best ones, max 400 pg. I like one with interesting lead and smart plot and element of suspense. Not romance.

There are tons of amazing fictional books.
I would recommend Gillian Flynn's crime/thriller books: Sharp objects, Dark Places and Gone Girl. My favorite is Gone Girl.

#3069 jiyo

jiyo

300 Fox Way

• OH! Press
  • 12,662 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 09:32 PM (Edited by jiyo, 09 December 2018 - 09:47 PM.)

Also, anyone give me rec for books that teach layman economics interestingly. I heard Freakanomics is good.

I would recommend Gillian Flynn's crime/thriller books: Sharp objects, Dark Places and Gone Girl. My favorite is Gone Girl.

Second this, Gillian Flynn's books are soooo good! Tana French's books comes to mind as well.

Also: If We Were Villains by M.L Rio!

As for Economics, I've heard a lot of good things about Freakonomics (I've also heard it's more Statistics than anything tho). I recommend anything Schumpeter has written if you wanna get into more detail, I read him for my History of Economic Thought class and it helped me a lot, it was also my introduction to Economics! I'm not sure if it's done interestingly but he lays down a lot of the historical context and that gives you an extra understandment haha

#3070 maindo

maindo

Idol

• PipPip
  • 337 posts
  • LocationHanoi

Posted 09 December 2018 - 10:48 PM (Edited by maindo, 09 December 2018 - 10:50 PM.)

Second this, Gillian Flynn's books are soooo good! Tana French's books comes to mind as well.

Also: If We Were Villains by M.L Rio!

As for Economics, I've heard a lot of good things about Freakonomics (I've also heard it's more Statistics than anything tho). I recommend anything Schumpeter has written if you wanna get into more detail, I read him for my History of Economic Thought class and it helped me a lot, it was also my introduction to Economics! I'm not sure if it's done interestingly but he lays down a lot of the historical context and that gives you an extra understandment haha

Thanks. I took Intro to Macro but none of the knowledge retains in my head, so I want something more fun and visual. 

You guys read my mind "Gone Girl" has been on my list to read.

#3071 eggy

eggy

bubblegum♥

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,665 posts
  • LocationK-Drama Land

Posted 11 December 2018 - 10:22 AM

I finally got my hands on Matt Haig's 'The Humans' and 'How to Stop Time' ahmagahplz.png ahmagahplz.png

I honestly honestly can't wait to dig in !!!

Anybody read them?

Up, Up and Away!