Search Engine

Advanced Search

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The Literature Thread

2978 replies to this topic

Poll: The Literature Thread (585 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your favourite genre?

1. Non- Fiction (103 votes [5.52%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.52%

2. Fiction (353 votes [18.93%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.93%

3. Fantasy (295 votes [15.82%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.82%

4. Mystery (207 votes [11.10%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.10%

5. Horror (104 votes [5.58%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.58%

6. Sci-Fi (131 votes [7.02%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.02%

7. Romance (190 votes [10.19%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.19%

8. Chick-Lit (70 votes [3.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.75%

9. Historical (143 votes [7.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.67%

10. Voted Classics (171 votes [9.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.17%

11. Other (98 votes [5.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.25%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#2961 OmegaStar

OmegaStar

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 04:10 AM

I read Kafka on the Shore recently and honestly liked it. As with Haruki Murakami books, I'm sure some found it to be boring, but it was honestly quite the opposite for me. There isn't a clear plot in it, however, and the book doesn't really answer many of the questions it proposes, which is something to be warned about if you dislike books like that.

Yea, I've heard that Murakami is an author that you either love or hate. Im used to read books with a somewhat clear plot and a conclusive ending. Im reading Norwegian Wood right now, and although I've only read 29 out of 282 pages I seem to like it. Murakami is a good writer and I started to read his book slowly in order to appreciate everything. Im usually a fast reader.

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

#2962 silverlining

silverlining

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,631 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:01 AM

I love Murakami's writing. I like the prose and how brings up ideas, questions, themes and dilemmas for you think think about yourself and make your own conclusions. I wished he was able to to write more books faster just so I can keep reading his writing. 

#2963 jiyo

jiyo

300 Fox Way

• OH! Press
  • 11,948 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:44 PM (Edited by jiyo, 11 June 2018 - 07:45 PM.)

I've been in the worst reading slump ever for like... 3 years (I started uni - suddenly all I was reading was academic articles and then I stopped uni and I didn't want to read a n y t h i n g)... I've tried reading a looot of books during this time, but it's been hard to keep reading them ohdearplz.png I'm gonna blame Kafka because the last book I finished was Letter to His Father and damn, it did a number on me omfg. Ofc I then proceeded to try to reread The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer (y'all - I don't recommend reading these books back to back or you might just... want to die gdgdfgdf)

I've started Dare Me by Megan Abbott (I've heard her books are like Gillian Flynn for teens and I need my fix of complex, dark female characters) and it's been really really nice! I hope I can finish this one fsgfdjgf

#2964 gore

gore

☪️

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,785 posts
  • Locationmoney bag

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:42 AM

I've been in the worst reading slump ever for like... 3 years (I started uni - suddenly all I was reading was academic articles and then I stopped uni and I didn't want to read a n y t h i n g)... I've tried reading a looot of books during this time, but it's been hard to keep reading them https://onehallyu.com//public/style_emot... I'm gonna blame Kafka because the last book I finished was Letter to His Father and damn, it did a number on me omfg. Ofc I then proceeded to try to reread The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer (y'all - I don't recommend reading these books back to back or you might just... want to die gdgdfgdf)

I've started Dare Me by Megan Abbott (I've heard her books are like Gillian Flynn for teens and I need my fix of complex, dark female characters) and it's been really really nice! I hope I can finish this one fsgfdjgf

i totally feel you on the reading slump.  i got one in 2015 and ever since then i've only been able to read one or two books per year. reading slumps are the worst. i've only managed to get a little bit out of it this year, i'm on my fourth book now since 2018 started.  rlytearpls.png   

good luck on finishing dare me ! ohbi.png

#2965 Map_Linh

Map_Linh

Idol

• PipPip
  • 314 posts
  • LocationSitting in front of my calendar, marking each day off until June 15th

Posted 12 June 2018 - 04:39 AM

I started reading “The Snowman” by a Norwegian author. I’m liking it so far, maybe I should start getting into more Scandinavian literature. Despite the horrible reviews I’ve seen for the movie, I really wanted to watch it but I decided to read the book first bc I’m gonna assume it’s much better than the movie.

#2966 technicolor.girl

technicolor.girl

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,459 posts
  • LocationCandyland

Posted 12 June 2018 - 06:06 AM

Yea, I've heard that Murakami is an author that you either love or hate. Im used to read books with a somewhat clear plot and a conclusive ending. Im reading Norwegian Wood right now, and although I've only read 29 out of 282 pages I seem to like it. Murakami is a good writer and I started to read his book slowly in order to appreciate everything. Im usually a fast reader.

Honestly I'll have to put myself in the hate category when it comes to him, lol. I've always been surrounded with people who like him, but I've read a couple of his books - After Dark, Kafka on the Shore, Norwegian Wood, and I don't think I'll bother with anymore. I think I have to move on. :lol:

When it comes to Japanese authors, so far I like what I've read from Shusaku Endo & Kazuo Ishiguro. 

#2967 silverlining

silverlining

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,631 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:06 AM

I've been in the worst reading slump ever for like... 3 years (I started uni - suddenly all I was reading was academic articles and then I stopped uni and I didn't want to read a n y t h i n g)... I've tried reading a looot of books during this time, but it's been hard to keep reading them https://onehallyu.com//public/style_emot... I'm gonna blame Kafka because the last book I finished was Letter to His Father and damn, it did a number on me omfg. Ofc I then proceeded to try to reread The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer (y'all - I don't recommend reading these books back to back or you might just... want to die gdgdfgdf)

That was me as well and then it happened again when I starting working I'm now trying to get back into it again.

#2968 Loonathehoe

Loonathehoe

No Jiwoo no life

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,235 posts
  • LocationClick on my sig to go to LOONA Chuu thread

Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:05 PM

I feelt so sad when one of our teachers told us the best moment, when you have more time to read is college (we're majoring in literature) because I feel like I have no time to read what I want or even what we're needed to read.

But well, at least we get to read things I wouldn't normally read like this really cool book called "Los años falsos" by Josefina Vicens. Idk the name in english but the novel it's majestic and kinda short. I totally recommend it to you guys

#2969 OmegaStar

OmegaStar

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 04:31 PM (Edited by OmegaStar, 12 June 2018 - 04:32 PM.)

I feelt so sad when one of our teachers told us the best moment, when you have more time to read is college (we're majoring in literature) because I feel like I have no time to read what I want or even what we're needed to read.

But well, at least we get to read things I wouldn't normally read like this really cool book called "Los años falsos" by Josefina Vicens. Idk the name in english but the novel it's majestic and kinda short. I totally recommend it to you guys

Spoiler

#2970 Loonathehoe

Loonathehoe

No Jiwoo no life

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,235 posts
  • LocationClick on my sig to go to LOONA Chuu thread

Posted 12 June 2018 - 04:37 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

#2971 delirium

delirium

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,060 posts
  • LocationWhat if the earth is a prison meant to keep us away from civilized societies on other worlds?

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:30 PM

Exactly the same, school just sucked it all out of me. I was stuck with the textbooks, research papers, and peer-reviewed articles with no time for immersing myself into a good story.

But I'm finally getting back into the reading flow. Inspiration hit and I've been making up for lost time.

#2972 jiyo

jiyo

300 Fox Way

• OH! Press
  • 11,948 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:51 PM

i totally feel you on the reading slump.  i got one in 2015 and ever since then i've only been able to read one or two books per year. reading slumps are the worst. i've only managed to get a little bit out of it this year, i'm on my fourth book now since 2018 started.  https://onehallyu.com//public/style_emot...   

good luck on finishing dare me ! https://onehallyu.com//public/style_emot...

omg i'm glad to hear it got better this year!! keep it up ahmagahplz.png it's the worst to get stuck in one of those orz especially if you were a big reader, i was so used to reading books in one sitting, if i ever felt bored or wanted to do something i would read, but nowadays...

thank you!<3

That was me as well and then it happened again when I starting working I'm now trying to get back into it again.

Exactly the same, school just sucked it all out of me. I was stuck with the textbooks, research papers, and peer-reviewed articles with no time for immersing myself into a good story.

But I'm finally getting back into the reading flow. Inspiration hit and I've been making up for lost time.

good luck guys!! i hope the reading fairy visits y'all rlytearpls.png

sometimes there is That Book that unlocks your inspiration and ends the reading slump once for all, i always see those "what to read after a reading slump" but whew is it hard to find it

#2973 delirium

delirium

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,060 posts
  • LocationWhat if the earth is a prison meant to keep us away from civilized societies on other worlds?

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:51 PM

omg i'm glad to hear it got better this year!! keep it up https://onehallyu.com//public/style_emot... it's the worst to get stuck in one of those orz especially if you were a big reader, i was so used to reading books in one sitting, if i ever felt bored or wanted to do something i would read, but nowadays...

thank you!<3

good luck guys!! i hope the reading fairy visits y'all https://onehallyu.com//public/style_emot...

sometimes there is That Book that unlocks your inspiration and ends the reading slump once for all, i always see those "what to read after a reading slump" but whew is it hard to find it

yea unsure.png days and days of searching once I was finally ready to read again. changing my room design actually inspired me to return to my old love and writing and nature and blah blah im rambling

#2974 OmegaStar

OmegaStar

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:18 AM

Honestly I'll have to put myself in the hate category when it comes to him, lol. I've always been surrounded with people who like him, but I've read a couple of his books - After Dark, Kafka on the Shore, Norwegian Wood, and I don't think I'll bother with anymore. I think I have to move on.

When it comes to Japanese authors, so far I like what I've read from Shusaku Endo & Kazuo Ishiguro.

What is it about Murakami you dont like?
As for Kazuo Ishiguro I've only read The Remains of the Day. I found it utterly boring and the main character super frustrating. But I will try to find other books he has written.

#2975 katsu • curry • chips

katsu • curry • chips

𝕋𝕆𝕂𝕐𝕆 𝔾𝕀ℝ𝕃

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,870 posts
  • Location𝕨𝕖 𝕒𝕣𝕖 。⋆. 𝓂𝒾𝓇𝒶𝒸𝓁𝑒𝓈 .⋆。

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:43 AM

The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro

&

Every Man Dies Alone by Hans Fallada

I’m very excited for both but can especially warmly recommend the latter :) anyone else a Fallada fan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2976 katsu • curry • chips

katsu • curry • chips

𝕋𝕆𝕂𝕐𝕆 𝔾𝕀ℝ𝕃

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,870 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:44 AM

As for Kazuo Ishiguro I've only read The Remains of the Day. I found it utterly boring and the main character super frustrating. But I will try to find other books he has written.

Wait wow what a coincidence!!! I swear I didn’t see this before posting!! Sorry you didn’t like it tho :(

#2977 technicolor.girl

technicolor.girl

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,459 posts
  • LocationCandyland

Posted 14 June 2018 - 01:23 PM

I'm not a fan of his protagonists or female characters, and I find his sex scenes awkward. That's just me though. ^^

I've yet to get my hands on The Remains of the Day. I did enjoy Never Let Me Go though. It's actually the only book of his that I've read, so I'll need to check him out further to see where I stand. 

The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro

&

Every Man Dies Alone by Hans Fallada

I’m very excited for both but can especially warmly recommend the latter https://onehallyu.com//public/style_emot... anyone else a Fallada fan?

I've never read a work by Fallada before, but I'm interested in the book you mentioned!

#2978 katsu • curry • chips

katsu • curry • chips

𝕋𝕆𝕂𝕐𝕆 𝔾𝕀ℝ𝕃

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,870 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 01:47 PM

I'm not a fan of his protagonists or female characters, and I find his sex scenes awkward. That's just me though. ^^

I've yet to get my hands on The Remains of the Day. I did enjoy Never Let Me Go though. It's actually the only book of his that I've read, so I'll need to check him out further to see where I stand.

I've never read a work by Fallada before, but I'm interested in the book you mentioned!

It’s superb he’s such a prolific writer! Do check him out :)

#2979 grainy

grainy

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:18 PM

Was so surprised to find Wislawa Szymborska on this list!! But I love her poetry. I recommend all of her work, my favourite is View with a Grain of Sand. 

Reply to this topic

Up, Up and Away!