Photo

The Literature Thread

• Please log in to reply
2712 replies to this topic

Poll: The Literature Thread (525 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your favourite genre?

1. Non- Fiction (92 votes [5.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.41%

2. Fiction (328 votes [19.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.27%

3. Fantasy (266 votes [15.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.63%

4. Mystery (189 votes [11.10%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.10%

5. Horror (91 votes [5.35%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.35%

6. Sci-Fi (118 votes [6.93%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.93%

7. Romance (178 votes [10.46%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.46%

8. Chick-Lit (62 votes [3.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.64%

9. Historical (126 votes [7.40%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.40%

10. Voted Classics (157 votes [9.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.22%

11. Other (95 votes [5.58%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.58%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#2701 vintagecookie

vintagecookie

Trainee

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 02:04 PM

What are some good literature from Latin America? 

#2702 wiz109

wiz109

Llama Queen of the Forums

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 10:14 PM

Finished the Mistborn series, and now I am drained. I loved how everything wrapped up though I am both happy and sad with the ending.  It's hard to part ways with characters such as Vin and Elend.  The plot of these books were fantastic, but now I debating whether I should jump into the Wax and Wayne Mistborn series or not.  I loved these old characters so much that I am pretty sure I am going to be biased against these new ones in the future setting of the series.  

Maybe I'll read another book in between to calm me down first.

#2703 technicolor.girl

technicolor.girl

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,157 posts
  • LocationCandyland

Posted 25 June 2017 - 08:38 PM

I just finished The Three Body Problem, and I need to buy the next books ASAP. It was really quite technical at certain points, but I hear the next books will be lighter on that. I'm so happy it got translated!

#2704 PromiscuousBunny

PromiscuousBunny

♚♠ ALXPB ♠♚

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,473 posts
  • LocationI am lost, I wait. In the same place, I wait. Waiting for you to hold my hand

Posted 25 June 2017 - 08:55 PM

My Sweet Orange Tree by José Mauro de Vasconcelos and The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho are two well known books from Latin American authors. 

I personally haven't read either of them. The Alchemist is one of my mother's favourite books and My Sweet Orange Tree's impact was well explained during the IU-Zeze controversy.  Both are acclaimed pieces of literature (from what I have heard) so I think they're worth checking out.

#2705 StepsInADance

StepsInADance

Actually Paul McCartney

• PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted Yesterday, 12:58 PM

The most classic one is Gabriel Garcia Marquez if you haven't read his work, Love in the Times of Cholera and 100 Years of Solitude are his masterpieces if you wanna get into those. 

Other than that I really like Roberto Bolano (Chilean) who writes some pretty mystifying stuff and Mario Vargas Llosa (Peruvian) who has some amazing novels about the political climate in Peru. If you're into poetry Pablo Neruda (Chilean) is a must.

You'll probably hear a lot about Isabel Allende (Chilean) but personally I think she's highly overrated. 

#2706 vintagecookie

vintagecookie

Trainee

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:54 PM

The most classic one is Gabriel Garcia Marquez if you haven't read his work, Love in the Times of Cholera and 100 Years of Solitude are his masterpieces if you wanna get into those. 

Other than that I really like Roberto Bolano (Chilean) who writes some pretty mystifying stuff and Mario Vargas Llosa (Peruvian) who has some amazing novels about the political climate in Peru. If you're into poetry Pablo Neruda (Chilean) is a must.

You'll probably hear a lot about Isabel Allende (Chilean) but personally I think she's highly overrated. 

My Sweet Orange Tree by José Mauro de Vasconcelos and The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho are two well known books from Latin American authors. 

I personally haven't read either of them. The Alchemist is one of my mother's favourite books and My Sweet Orange Tree's impact was well explained during the IU-Zeze controversy.  Both are acclaimed pieces of literature (from what I have heard) so I think they're worth checking out.

Thank you. I'll look into the recommendations ilikeitplz.png

#2707 wiz109

wiz109

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:37 PM

Finished A Darker Shade of Magic, it wasn't great but it was fun.  I guess the best description I have for it is Fantasy in Chick-Lit form, without over the top romances to screw it up.  The characters were fun but the plot doesn't really have substance.  Still it was a decent read so I'll stick with it for the rest of the series.

#2708 Fatalite

Fatalite

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts
  • LocationPreviously Tanomina

Posted Yesterday, 08:54 PM

Finished A Darker Shade of Magic, it wasn't great but it was fun.  I guess the best description I have for it is Fantasy in Chick-Lit form, without over the top romances to screw it up.  The characters were fun but the plot doesn't really have substance.  Still it was a decent read so I'll stick with it for the rest of the series.

I think A Conjuring of Light, the last book, is the best of the trilogy, so I'd definitely recommend sticking with it. The second book was my least favorite though.

So I found out they're releasing a 10th anniversary edition of Patrick Rothfuss's The Name of the Wind. 10 years, and the Kingkiller Chronicle still isn't done. imstupid.png

#2709 wiz109

wiz109

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:36 PM

I think A Conjuring of Light, the last book, is the best of the trilogy, so I'd definitely recommend sticking with it. The second book was my least favorite though.

So I found out they're releasing a 10th anniversary edition of Patrick Rothfuss's The Name of the Wind. 10 years, and the Kingkiller Chronicle still isn't done. https://onehallyu.com//public/style_emot...

ugh I can't with him, i don't think I give a damn about Kvothe anymore.  I think I've said it before, but I think Rothfuss bit off more than he could chew by giving the day time frames for each book.  It seems like there are so many unanswered questions still that it might be impossible to finish it all in the third book.   We still know next to nothing about anything about what happened to the world to make it like it is.

#2710 wiz109

wiz109

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:46 PM

I just spent a lot of money on books...help mewarstarplz.png

I bought the Wax and Wayne Mistborn books and Warbreaker...Oathbringer was there for pre-order but I decided to wait out until the paperback is going to come because I am nuts and want to torture myself more.

I bought Robin Hobbs Farseer trilogy because I figure its about time I start some of her stuff.

I bought the other books in the Darker Shades Trilogy

I is cray cray and this no where near the amount of books I wantedamgplz.png amgplz.png amgplz.png amgplz.png

#2711 Green Willow

Green Willow

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationWhat in XXXtarnation

Posted Yesterday, 11:52 PM

just finished the second young elites. very well done, the MC was written even better than last book.

#2712 IMY_999

IMY_999

Idol

• PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted Today, 01:36 AM (Edited by IMY_999, Today, 01:37 AM.)

Finished A Darker Shade of Magic, it wasn't great but it was fun. I guess the best description I have for it is Fantasy in Chick-Lit form, without over the top romances to screw it up. The characters were fun but the plot doesn't really have substance. Still it was a decent read so I'll stick with it for the rest of the series.

Your ambivalence to the first book was exactly how I felt when I read it. And since I needed something to read, I stuck it out... Keep your expectations low for this series.

I'm the opposite of you, I found the second book the strongest of the trilogy. It wasn't until the third book that I realized how terrible the writing was. I think the world building distracted me, it wasn't until the author was kind of floundering in the third book that I finally saw how trite everything was. This trilogy is mediocre at best.

#2713 Fatalite

Fatalite

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts
  • LocationPreviously Tanomina

Posted Today, 01:58 AM

Your ambivalence to the first book was exactly how I felt when I read it. And since I needed something to read, I stuck it out... Keep your expectations low for this series.
I'm the opposite of you, I found the second book the strongest of the trilogy. It wasn't until the third book that I realized how terrible the writing was. I think the world building distracted me, it wasn't until the author was kind of floundering in the third book that I finally saw how trite everything was. This trilogy is mediocre at best.

Meh, compared to a lot of recent YA fantasies, I think the series was one of the better ones.

Up, Up and Away!