Photo

The Literature Thread

• Please log in to reply
2577 replies to this topic

Poll: The Literature Thread (488 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your favourite genre?

1. Non- Fiction (85 votes [5.32%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.32%

2. Fiction (307 votes [19.21%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.21%

3. Fantasy (247 votes [15.46%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.46%

4. Mystery (179 votes [11.20%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.20%

5. Horror (88 votes [5.51%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.51%

6. Sci-Fi (113 votes [7.07%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.07%

7. Romance (165 votes [10.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.33%

8. Chick-Lit (60 votes [3.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.75%

9. Historical (119 votes [7.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.45%

10. Voted Classics (146 votes [9.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.14%

11. Other (89 votes [5.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#2561 Exotic♕Queen♛

Exotic♕Queen♛

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts
  • Locationriding your Oppa in Seoul

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:45 PM

I'm reading this thread to get inspired. I love reading but somehow I can't pick up a book and fell into it and it has been months https://onehallyu.com//public/style_emot...

For me it's been years!warstarplz.png

#2562 ❊SHERRY❊

❊SHERRY❊

Changmin's wife ♥

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,184 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Asia....

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:07 PM (Edited by ❊SHERRY❊, 21 March 2017 - 02:11 PM.)

Just finish Nora Roberts' Obsession and as usually it's so good. One day in the future i hope i will have all of her books,she's really good at romance and thriller/mystery novels and so far i have only 3 of them but i have watched all of her novels that have been made a tv movie. I wish they would continue making those movies tho...

#2563 Exotic♕Queen♛

Exotic♕Queen♛

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:18 PM

Anybody wanna recommend me adult fantasy novels?

#2564 Mavourneen

Mavourneen

☆ST✮RLIGHT☆

• PipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:19 PM

Currently reading Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman it's very interesting

#2565 tanomina

tanomina

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,858 posts
  • Location( ゚д゚)ノオイ

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:29 PM

Anybody wanna recommend me adult fantasy novels?

What kind of adult fantasy are you looking for?

If you're looking for straight up high fantasy, I'd recommend:

- Riyria Revelations by Michael J. Sullivan

- The Legend of Eli Monpress by Rachel Aaron

- Any book by Brandon Sanderson 

- To Ride Hell's Chasm by Janny Wurts

If you're looking for romance fantasy with a bit more fairy-tale vibes:

- Blackthorn & Grim by Juliet Marilier

#2566 Exotic♕Queen♛

Exotic♕Queen♛

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:02 PM

- Any book by Brandon Sanderson

Yeah high fantasy, do any of them have female protagonists as well? They don't have to have them, but it'll be a plus, especially if they're warrior-ish like athletic and can fight.

Sent from my iPhone using OneHallyu mobile app

#2567 tanomina

tanomina

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,858 posts
  • Location( ゚д゚)ノオイ

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:26 PM (Edited by tanomina, 21 March 2017 - 03:27 PM.)

Yeah high fantasy, do any of them have female protagonists as well? They don't have to have them, but it'll be a plus, especially if they're warrior-ish like athletic and can fight.

Sent from my iPhone using OneHallyu mobile app

All of the ones I mentioned have female characters in them with some dedicated POV chapters (and they're usually my favorite characters), but they're not the main protagonist, except in Blackthorn & Grim. I haven't read it yet, but I've heard good things of The Inheritance Trilogy by N.K. Jemisin if you want a main female protagonist. Otherwise, I usually read young adult fantasy for that, which could be hit or miss.

If you don't mind young adult, I'd recommend the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson and the Shades of Magic trilogy by V.E. Schwab.

#2568 Cinae

Cinae

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,056 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:57 PM

How about The Witcher series by Andrzej Sapkowski? (I personally love it QRLGYBO.png )

It's high fantasy with male protagonist and important female characters and in the later books of the series there's also female protagonist along with male one

#2569 miharudesu

miharudesu

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts
  • Locationwesteros

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:27 PM (Edited by miharudesu, 21 March 2017 - 04:31 PM.)

Definitely Mistborn series (the original trilogy, plus the continuation of the series with a new generation of characters) by Brandon Sanderson
Also,
The Way of Kings (2 books so far, 3rd book tbr this year) by Brandon Sanderson
The Wheel of Time series (1-15) by Robert Jordan
The Warded Man by Peter Brett (1-ongoing)

All of these with central female protagonists who are assassins, healers, magicians, leaders, and soldiers. :)

#2570 Exotic♕Queen♛

Exotic♕Queen♛

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:03 PM

- Any book by Brandon Sanderson 

All of the ones I mentioned have female characters in them with some dedicated POV chapters (and they're usually my favorite characters), but they're not the main protagonist, except in Blackthorn & Grim. I haven't read it yet, but I've heard good things of The Inheritance Trilogy by N.K. Jemisin if you want a main female protagonist. Otherwise, I usually read young adult fantasy for that, which could be hit or miss.

If you don't mind young adult, I'd recommend the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson and the Shades of Magic trilogy by V.E. Schwab.

How about The Witcher series by Andrzej Sapkowski? (I personally love it https://onehallyu.com//public/style_emot... )

It's high fantasy with male protagonist and important female characters and in the later books of the series there's also female protagonist along with male one

Definitely Mistborn series (the original trilogy, plus the continuation of the series with a new generation of characters) by Brandon Sanderson
Also,
The Way of Kings (2 books so far, 3rd book tbr this year) by Brandon Sanderson
The Wheel of Time series (1-15) by Robert Jordan
The Warded Man by Peter Brett (1-ongoing)

All of these with central female protagonists who are assassins, healers, magicians, leaders, and soldiers. https://onehallyu.com//public/style_emot...

I'll look into all of those, thank you! Also do people talk about writing here as well, or is that a separate thread and this is only for reading?

#2571 wiz109

wiz109

Llama Queen of the Forums

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,568 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:11 PM

I'll look into all of those, thank you! Also do people talk about writing here as well, or is that a separate thread and this is only for reading?

you can talk about whatever you want to, after all what is reading without writing happening?

I second the works by Brandon Sanderson and also recommend anything by Guy Gavriel Kay, especially Tigana.

I haven't had much time to do reading right now since my friend was getting married and now my life is a roller coaster so I am still stuck on Sanderson's Elantris.

#2572 Exotic♕Queen♛

Exotic♕Queen♛

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:44 PM

you can talk about whatever you want to, after all what is reading without writing happening?

I second the works by Brandon Sanderson and also recommend anything by Guy Gavriel Kay, especially Tigana.

I haven't had much time to do reading right now since my friend was getting married and now my life is a roller coaster so I am still stuck on Sanderson's Elantris.

Awesome so I can vent my writing frustrations here!

#2573 Exotic♕Queen♛

Exotic♕Queen♛

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:50 PM (Edited by Exotic♕Queen♛, 22 March 2017 - 07:55 PM.)

Maybe not that many writers can relate to this, but I'm given a 10 page limit due the coming Monday and I know a story to write about, but my problem almost every damn time is that it's going to end up too big to fit in 10 pages, and IDK where to cut while also not leaving plot holes out!

#2574 Exotic♕Queen♛

Exotic♕Queen♛

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:07 PM

Also when you had this story idea saved in your head for years but it's been done before and you don't know how to make it original!

#2575 Alfiya

Alfiya

Idol

• PipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 01:29 PM

can someone recommend me some books like diary of a wimpy kid? And also some books about high school romance or adventure? Like looking for alaska

#2576 Exotic♕Queen♛

Exotic♕Queen♛

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 07:07 PM (Edited by Exotic♕Queen♛, 26 March 2017 - 07:08 PM.)

can someone recommend me some books like diary of a wimpy kid? And also some books about high school romance or adventure? Like looking for alaska

I used to read this book called Amelia's Notebook when I was a tween. That's the most similar book to Diary of A Wimpy Kid that I can think of. As for a high school romance, I highly recommend Romiette & Julio. I never heard of Looking For Alaska, but it's a high school romance nonetheless. It's supposed to be a modern spin on Romeo & Juliet but they're an interracial couple (African-AmericanXMexican) but it wasn't their families so much that disapproved their relationship, but a gang from their school.

#2577 wiz109

wiz109

Llama Queen of the Forums

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,568 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:07 PM

Maybe not that many writers can relate to this, but I'm given a 10 page limit due the coming Monday and I know a story to write about, but my problem almost every damn time is that it's going to end up too big to fit in 10 pages, and IDK where to cut while also not leaving plot holes out!

For stories I can sympathize, but for essays I was always looking for a way to add some BS to make it longer, harharplz.png

Also when you had this story idea saved in your head for years but it's been done before and you don't know how to make it original!

Lol 90% of fantasy stories have been done before, and authors now days don't seem to mind it showing through

#2578 Exotic♕Queen♛

Exotic♕Queen♛

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:39 PM

For stories I can sympathize, but for essays I was always looking for a way to add some BS to make it longer, https://onehallyu.com//public/style_emot...

Lol 90% of fantasy stories have been done before, and authors now days don't seem to mind it showing through

I'm taking a fiction writing course, though essay can apply to this too as you said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Up, Up and Away!