Photo

should Liu Yifei play Mulan in disneys live action remake?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 _mirai

_mirai

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 2,419 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:43 AM

#2 Xiaoshu

Xiaoshu

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • LocationLang Ya Hall

Posted 17 March 2017 - 04:37 AM

She is too pretty for Mulan. 

#3 Secret Gay Care

Secret Gay Care

Long-term Trainee

• Pip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:18 AM

No thanks, she don't have the "look" + her acting ain't that great either

#4 cookjohnfood

cookjohnfood

Idol

• PipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:49 AM

lol i dont think she looks like the type to play Mulan

#5 waycrispy1

waycrispy1

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:55 AM

HELL NO

#6 jellymelly02

jellymelly02

Idol

• PipPip
  • 370 posts
  • LocationParadise Island

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:58 AM

love her but no.
why is this adaptation even necessary?
zhao wei was perfect.
cinderella was great. maleficent is good too despite the twist.
they also did great with jungle book...but the kid mostly talked with animals so...
the only thing so far that i'm not a fan of is beauty and the beast i suppose.
it's a visual treat, funny and good performance but it just seems flat in comparison.
but if they really have to have one. there better be no white people there.
i don't want to see another great wall.

#7 Jotham

Jotham

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:22 AM

She is too pretty for Mulan. 

Probably this, she suits the imperial China/wuxia genre, but more of those fairy-type characters

#8 VISION

VISION

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,597 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:21 AM

her acting is mediocre

#9 yxsodamncharming

yxsodamncharming

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • Locationsunny island

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:04 AM (Edited by yxsodamncharming, 19 March 2017 - 11:07 AM.)

Wonder if Disney is going to hire China actress, or going to cast American Born Chinese? 

If casting in China, Dilraba Dilmurat seems to be suitable?

- Her prettiness seems to have an aura of likability, charming and strength.

- Somehow, she looks like a Disney princess.

Men%209.jpg

161027e66baaf4c5163f0bbf1a7c12ba.jpg

HG%2018.jpg

HG%2015.jpg

HG%202.jpg

Men%2010.jpg

WD%2011.jpg

HG%2014.jpg

0b43feca5b9b8fde57960ce71517af5e.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

7bb7a949d374052cb60008422aaa54c8.jpg

b54a1658dbf2ab539b73a9dbb30f3226.jpg

King%2527s%2BWoman%2BWraps%2B20.jpg

125855346.png

516f880612e122f83221f7c1f2f5d0d5.jpg

#10 ๐ŸŒนfcrew

๐ŸŒนfcrew

Trainee

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:32 PM

Too feminine? Perhaps Zhao LiYing is s better fit.

Sent from my iPad using OneHallyu mobile app

#11 ๐ŸŒนfcrew

๐ŸŒนfcrew

Trainee

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:33 PM (Edited by ๐ŸŒนfcrew, 19 March 2017 - 05:34 PM.)

Dilraba looks mixed though I reckon The actress who will play Milan should look North East Asian

#12 cookjohnfood

cookjohnfood

Idol

• PipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:25 PM (Edited by cookjohnfood, 19 March 2017 - 06:25 PM.)

I'm pretty sure disney would choose an asian american to play Mulan, either that or an actress who can at least speak English. Actually come to think of it, there is a possibility that she might get casted. For one, she's been in quite a number of hollywood + chinese collab films and can speak English. She's also starred in a number of martial art movies/dramas in the past and her background in dance gave her a graceful fighting scenes. Finally, she has the classic "asian" look that represents the role. With that being said, given her age and image, Mulan still isn't a suitable role for her. I hope they will not cast her as her acting isn't good enough to carry such a powerful role.

#13 Mcran

Mcran

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 2,285 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:12 PM

I love her but NO.

#14 Lightning

Lightning

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:22 PM (Edited by Lightning, 20 March 2017 - 05:22 PM.)

Wonder if Disney is going to hire China actress, or going to cast American Born Chinese?

Makes more sense business wise to cast an actress who's well known in China than an unknown American. I think there's a 99% chance it will be an actress from China.

#15 cookjohnfood

cookjohnfood

Idol

• PipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:51 PM

Makes more sense business wise to cast an actress who's well known in China than an unknown American. I think there's a 99% chance it will be an actress from China.

Idk I feel like Disney is so big they expect people would watch, regardless. Plus they dont target just Chinese audience. A wide known actress in china is still unknown in America

#16 yxsodamncharming

yxsodamncharming

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • Locationsunny island

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:36 PM

[quote name="cookjohnfood" post="20270355" timestamp="1490050318"]Idk I feel like Disney is so big they expect people would watch, regardless. Plus they dont target just Chinese audience. A wide known actress in china is still unknown in America[/quote

Are there any well-known china or american born chinese actress in US now?

#17 cookjohnfood

cookjohnfood

Idol

• PipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:59 PM

[quote name="cookjohnfood" post="20270355" timestamp="1490050318"]Idk I feel like Disney is so big they expect people would watch, regardless. Plus they dont target just Chinese audience. A wide known actress in china is still unknown in America[/quote

Are there any well-known china or american born chinese actress in US now?

not really, i guess Gong li, fan bingbing, Lucy Liu, zhang ziyi, and maybe angelababy/liu yifei? as for american born chinese, i really can't think of a recent well known ones. 

#18 yxsodamncharming

yxsodamncharming

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • Locationsunny island

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:08 PM (Edited by yxsodamncharming, 20 March 2017 - 10:12 PM.)

IF this casting call list is real, then most of the current popular actress are too old for the role of Mulan.

IF shoot really starts in April 2017 and IF Disney still has not signed a currently popular China actress, highly doubt they will be able to at this point since most of the A-listers in China have projects planned a year in advance. 

Disney probably had already cast the lead actors/actress by now since it's only a month away from their scheduled filming date (if April is the filming date)

https://onehallyu.co.../#entry20273365

Mulan: 18 โ€“ 20 years old to play 18; must be able to speak fluent English and Mandarin Chinese; lithe, athletic, quick, tougher than she looks, Mulan lives in rural China in 630 AD, and her country is besieged, under attack by the Gokturk invaders. When her aging father volunteers to join the Army, Mulan sneaks out by night and takes his place, strapping down her breasts so she can pass for a man. There is a mysterious power inside Mulan, a power of speed and coordination and sheer force that places her at the peak of her unit- where no one suspects her secret.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disney can always cast an unknown as Mulan, and to 'protect' movie box office in China, it'll be easy for them to cast one of the popular young male idol-actors in China, there're so many to choose from currently. It's so much easier to cast a popular young male idol-actors than popular young female actress in China now.

Majority of the popular female actress in China are in late 20s or early 30s. 

The Male Lead : Chen Honghui โ€“ In his 20s, must be able to speak fluent English and Mandarin Chinese; strapping, cocky and handsome, Honghui is another recruit who joins Commander Tungโ€™s unit, and heโ€™s determined to be the best soldier in human history. Full of himself, with a mean, bullying stream to him, he quickly realizes that Mulan is his chief rival, but he does not realize that she is a woman. Grittily determined to be simply the best at everything, Honghui is increasingly peeved by Mulanโ€™s ability to match or out-maneuver him. But after learning that his rival is a woman, his intense feelings of rivalry turn into something very different, something like love.

#19 Lightning

Lightning

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 04:02 AM (Edited by Lightning, 22 March 2017 - 04:03 AM.)

Idk I feel like Disney is so big they expect people would watch, regardless. Plus they dont target just Chinese audience. A wide known actress in china is still unknown in America

Maybe in the past but now they are all about known names. Look at their voice casting for animated movies and live action they choose established actors for the leads not unknowns. The new Beauty and the Beast is a great example of this and I think Mulan will follow this kind of casting.

#20 momorinxoxo

momorinxoxo

๐ŸŒธ ใฒใชใพใคใ‚Š โ€ข ่Šฑ่ฆ‹ ๐ŸŒธ

• PipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Location๐Ÿญ ๐˜•๐˜ฆ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ ๐˜”๐˜ข๐˜จ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ๐˜ต๐˜ข ๐˜ˆ๐˜ฑ๐˜ณ๐˜ช๐˜ค๐˜ฐ๐˜ต ๐˜ณ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฎ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ง ๐˜ค๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ๐˜บ ๐˜ฃ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ๐˜จ๐˜ด ๐Ÿญ๐Ÿญ๐Ÿญ - ๐˜›๐˜ž๐˜๐˜Š๐˜Œ๐˜“๐˜ˆ๐˜•๐˜‹ ๐Ÿฐ

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:23 PM (Edited by momorinxoxo, 22 March 2017 - 12:24 PM.)

I'm pretty sure disney would choose an asian american to play Mulan, either that or an actress who can at least speak English. Actually come to think of it, there is a possibility that she might get casted. For one, she's been in quite a number of hollywood + chinese collab films and can speak English. She's also starred in a number of martial art movies/dramas in the past and her background in dance gave her a graceful fighting scenes. Finally, she has the classic "asian" look that represents the role. With that being said, given her age and image, Mulan still isn't a suitable role for her. I hope they will not cast her as her acting isn't good enough to carry such a powerful role.

Exactly my thoughts. You expressed it perfectly^^

ย 

But who knows, she'll do her best for this role (and super invest/improve her acting skills) if she will be chosen.

ย 

ps: I really love her in Forbidden Kingdom and Condor Heroes rlytearpls.png

Up, Up and Away!