Welcome to Legend Hanyu Yuzuru Official Thread! A place where we worship the God of figure skating himself.
- Yuzuru Hanyu is a 2 time Olympics champion figure skater. He was born in Sendai, Japan on December 7th 1994. He began skating at the age of 4 alongside his sister Saya who later on will abandon her passion for her little brother to continue skating.
- His figure skating idol growing up was Evgeni Plushenko.
- His name means "a bowstring which is pulled tight", symbolizing confidence, strength, and straightness. His father named him, wishing him to be as hardworking, with a strong mind. His parents wanted him to live a simple life, but be dignified, powerful and graceful.
- Hanyu has severe asthma, and can often be seen heavily catching his breath after finishing his programs.
- As of 2014, he is a student at Waseda University's e-School program, studying human informatics and cognitive sciences.
- He is fond of Winnie the Pooh and is frequently given stuffed Pooh bears as gifts by spectators after finishing his programs.
- Hanyu was skating at his home rink in Sendai when the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami struck his hometown and the region.
- Since the 2011 Japan earthquake and tsunami, Hanyu has been an active spokesperson and supporter for various campaigns to help the earthquake victims, as he himself was directly affected by the disaster
- In the 2014-2015 Season he had a collision with skater Yan Han while on ice provoking different injuries.
Awarded in 2018
Purple Ribbon (2014, 2018)
JOC Sports Award - Newcomer Award (2009)
Best Award (2013)
Special Achievement Award (2015)
Special Honor Award (2018)
Olympic Special Award (2014, 2018)
JOC Cup (Most Valuable Player Award) (2013,2014,2016,2018)
Media and Municipality Awards
- Hanyu has broken 12 world records scores before season 2018–19.
- Hanyu is the first Asian figure skater competing in men's singles to win the Olympic gold.
- At the age of nineteen, he was the youngest male skater to win the Olympic title since Dick Button in 1948.
- He also became the first man to win two consecutive Olympic gold medals since Dick Button's back-to-back titles in 1948 and 1952.
- At the 2016 CS Autumn Classic International, Hanyu became the first skater in history to successfully land a quadruple loop in competition.
- He is the first men's singles skater from Asia to win multiple World Championships.
- He also became the first Japanese male skater to win the Gold Medal for figure skating in the Olympics when he won the event in 2014.
- The first skater to successfully land 3 quadruple jumps in the second half of a free skating program (2017 World Team Trophy).
- The first and only men's single skater to end as world No. 1 in men's single skating world standings for 5 consecutive seasons (2013-2018) since the latter's establishment in (2001-2002) season.
FS From Russia With Love
FS The Firebird
FS Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini
SP Bolero/The Bait/Bare Island
SP White Legend
FS O Verona/Kissing You/Escape
SP Étude in D-sharp minor, Op. 8, No. 12
Gala White Legend/Somebody to Love
FS Notre Dame de Paris/Romeo and Juliet
SP Parisienne Walkways
Gala O Verona/Kissing You/Escape/White Legend/Hana Ni Nare/Story/Notre-Dame de Paris/Étude in D-sharp minor, Op. 8, No. 12/Hello, I Love You
FS The Phantom of the Opera/Seimei
SP Chopin Ballade No. 1
Gala Requiem of Heaven and Earth/Parisienne Walkways/The Final Time Traveler/Hana Wa Saku
FS Hope and Legacy
SP Let's go Crazy
Gala Notte Stellata(The Swan)
SP Chopin Ballade No. 1
Gala Wings of Words/Hope and Legacy/Haru yo,Koi/Notte Stellata(The Swan)
Gala Haru yo, Koi