Photo

Official Mamamoo apology over blackface controversy

mamamoo solar wheein hwasa moonbyul

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
73 replies to this topic

#1 funkycucumber

funkycucumber

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 04:06 AM (Edited by funkycucumber, 04 March 2017 - 10:40 AM.)

2hwck1z.png

a3lh8n.png

Also, seems like koreaboo were the ones who met up with mamamoo and RBW to explain to them the situation. Read more about it here: 

http://www.koreaboo....ce-controversy/

"In our conversations, both the agency and girls were extremely horrified to find out how offensive their video was. They showed clear remorse when educated on the cultural significance and origins of blackface.We spoke to their CEO, management, and the members of the group to explain how extremely offensive blackface is. Throughout the conversations, not a single person from their side attempted to make excuses for their actions."

EDIT: For those confused about the differences in Korean and English apologies above, the Korean apology is by Rainbow Bridge World (Mamamoo's agency), whereas the English one is from Mamamoo. The korean apology appeared a few hours ago with the main intent to inform k-moomoos there will be a removal of the vcr for today's concert. It's probably before the koreaboo peeps met up with RBW and mamamoo. 

Have confirmed with moomoos who went to moosical day 2 and the girls did apologize in person about the issue too.

All in all, I'm glad and touched that Mamamoo quickly acknowledged their mistake, made no excuses, apologized sincerely and have such an open attitude to learn more and become better people. Awesome life lesson for me today~

#2 yadimaknae5

yadimaknae5

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,779 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 04:08 AM

That fast .. good company.

#3 Boba

Boba

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 04:08 AM

a decent apology IMO 

#4 Sorended

Sorended

Trainee

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 04:09 AM

I wish they did a video but this is better than just avoiding the controversy altogether.

I was also skeptical they'd apologise because blackface isn't that controversial in Korea but I'm glad to see they're owing up to what they did.

Hopefully they learned from this experience and other idols/trainees will take note for the future.

#5 funkycucumber

funkycucumber

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 04:10 AM

I wish they did a video but this is better than just avoiding the controversy altogether.

I was also skeptical they'd apologise because blackface isn't that controversial in Korea but I'm glad to see they're owing up to what they did.

Hopefully they learned from this experience and other idols/trainees will take note for the future.

They still have day 2 and day 3 of moosical curtain call left, I really hope the members themselves do an apology too. It's great that they are taking the feedback from international fans seriously and promptly responded and removed the controversial clip. 

I'm definitely still supporting mamamoo! 

#6 Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 04:11 AM

Good to see that they're going to educate themselves about this stuff so something like this won't happen again

#7 Strawberrychoco

Strawberrychoco

Idol

• PipPip
  • 481 posts

I'm glad the company took this thing seriously and fast in taking action.I hope this thing subsided.

#8 Ryuzaki08

Ryuzaki08

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

That's fast

#9 Kimi492

Kimi492

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 04:12 AM (Edited by Kimi492, 04 March 2017 - 04:13 AM.)

I appreciate the apology and am glad them and RBW are willing to learn and own up to mistakes

#10 ..#

..#

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 04:12 AM (Edited by Kevin Bacon, 04 March 2017 - 04:15 AM.)

I really hate to nitpick but the Korean apology and the English apology are so different. :/

This won't set a clear lesson to the Korean people who are reading....or even give the same amount of impact of the English one.

The Korean one says that they apologize for the "misunderstanding" that occurred.

Props to Mamamoo and their company for the quick response and a very well-written English apology tho

#11 Chocolate is my muse

Chocolate is my muse

Idol

• PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 04:12 AM

So happy to see this! Mamamoo owning up to thier ignorance of the issue and apologising is so heartening.

#12 funkycucumber

funkycucumber

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 04:13 AM

I really hate to nitpick but the Korean apology and the English apology are so different. :/

This won't set a clear lesson to the Korean people who are reading....or even give the same amount of impact of the English one.

The Korean one says that they apologize for their "misunderstanding"...

Whoa really? Hmm.. I can't read korean so have no idea what was written there. 

#13 Sorended

Sorended

Trainee

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 04:14 AM

They still have day 2 and day 3 of moosical curtain call left, I really hope the members themselves do an apology too. It's great that they are taking the feedback from international fans seriously and promptly responded and removed the controversial clip. 

I'm definitely still supporting mamamoo!

Yea it would be thoughtful of them to apologise for their concert. I'm supporting them too; it's good that their fans and themselves realised what a serious offense blackface is.

#14 baechulgi

baechulgi

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 04:14 AM (Edited by baechulgi, 04 March 2017 - 04:15 AM.)

i'm glad they apologized and more so realized what was wrong because it is so easy to just issue a half assed apology (like that decalcomanie elevator scene debacle) and not learn from it. i hope RBW and Mamamoo reflect while taking the time to educate themselves so nothing like this happens again.

#15 Kimi492

Kimi492

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 04:15 AM

There are two different apologies - one sent out immediately and then another from mamamoo/RBW idk myself why there were multiples

#16 Indigo

Indigo

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 04:18 AM

I was about to say, does the korean apology drop the language about fans of every race, religion, sexuality and gender and black fans in particular.

English apology comes off very western. If that means there's someone they have contact with who can explain this to them. 

I think the best thing would be for the girls to address the issue on stage, directly. 

#17 Sorended

Sorended

Trainee

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 04:18 AM

The Korean one says that they apologize for the "misunderstanding" that occurred.

Props to Mamamoo and their company for the quick response and a very well-written English apology tho

I think this is the official apology RBW promised would follow his immediate apology.

#18 nixsi

nixsi

⭐Twinkle Twinkle Patrick Star⭐

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,936 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 04:19 AM

Good job to Mamamoo and RBW. I admit I was skeptical, I thot they would release an apology a week later but turns out in hours after the scandal they apologize. I hope they will learn from this 

#19 Artemisia

Artemisia

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 04:19 AM

Misunderstanding? That's a horrible thing to say in this type of situation.

The english apology is well written, the korean one should be exactly the same

#20 PrincessXBowsGirl

PrincessXBowsGirl

♡♥❤

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,069 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 04:19 AM (Edited by PrincessXBowsGirl, 04 March 2017 - 04:20 AM.)

I give them my respect for them acknowledging what they did and apologizing.

Up, Up and Away!