76 replies to this topic

#61 Themastermindoftheuniverse

Themastermindoftheuniverse

Trainee

• Pip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationFairyland

Posted 06 May 2017 - 08:23 PM

I'm not going into a discussion wether VPOP will be a big hit as KPOP, because the genre is relatively new(started 2013). But I despise those people who wants to link everything to kpop when a vietnamese artist does something that sounds like your typical modern pop music. If vietnamese artists can't make modern music without influence outside of Vietnam, then they have to be stuck with Cai Luong and sad ballads, meaning the vietnamese people will be backwards and the music genre there won't progress. If the koreaboo vpop haters logic that VPOP copying KPOP, then KPOP is copying the american pop genre. Koreans didn't invented rap, edm sound or boy\girl groups. The west did that first, so I can perfectly say GOT7 or BTS are copying Backstreet Boys and N'Sync. 

#62 Spring By Chance

Spring By Chance

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,648 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 May 2017 - 04:58 PM (Edited by Spring By Chance, 12 May 2017 - 08:07 PM.)

I'm not going into a discussion wether VPOP will be a big hit as KPOP, because the genre is relatively new(started 2013). But I despise those people who wants to link everything to kpop when a vietnamese artist does something that sounds like your typical modern pop music. If vietnamese artists can't make modern music without influence outside of Vietnam, then they have to be stuck with Cai Luong and sad ballads, meaning the vietnamese people will be backwards and the music genre there won't progress. If the koreaboo vpop haters logic that VPOP copying KPOP, then KPOP is copying the american pop genre. Koreans didn't invented rap, edm sound or boy\girl groups. The west did that first, so I can perfectly say GOT7 or BTS are copying Backstreet Boys and N'Sync. 

but there's a difference between sounding modern pop and being stylized like kpop. For example, the girl group LIME's music videos are very "kpop-like", for example, and that's mainly because the group was created as a joint effort between a South Korean entertainment company and a Vietnamese entertainment company, and they're actually marketed as a Vietnamese group that sings both Kpop and Vpop. Like there's no denying that there are some (big emphasis on some) V-pop groups that are actually made to sound like kpop groups (the new boy band Taz was also created by both a Korean and Vietnamese entertainment company, just like LIME, and also marketed to have a sound similar to kpop). Artists like Min, Bich Phuong, Miu Le, Tien Tien, etc. are able to have their own individuality in their songs while still appealing to today's mass and singing modern pop music; you can tell a song is theirs rather than just being like a carbon copy of another (and this is one of the biggest criticisms I've heard about the newer artists from older people--I've heard them say that a lot of the newer groups don't seem to have their own originality. I think even the site vpopfan.com, which is run by a Vietnamese person looking to share vpop with the world, once talked about this). 

and before anyone calls me a koreaboo, i grew up with my family listening to vietnamese music, specifically Paris by Night stuff.

#63 KPOPfanANTI

KPOPfanANTI

Trainee

• Pip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationYamada ryosuke's basement

Posted 07 May 2017 - 05:10 PM

I think there's a long way before Vpop can become popular, and not many people appreciate the sound of the Vietnamese language. I remember a thread topic about least favourite languages a while back where almost everyone listed Vietnamese as the most unpleasant to listen to. So until more people start appreciating the language I can't see Vpop becoming as big as Kpop. 

#64 hngu145

hngu145

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, Louisiana

Posted 07 May 2017 - 05:33 PM

Hm I think it can happen in the future since it's very inspired by kpop. I've been back to VN a few times and the culture is huge there

Sent from my iPhone using OneHallyu

#65 UhYeh

UhYeh

Trainee

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 12:21 AM (Edited by UhYeh, 08 May 2017 - 12:28 AM.)

Vietnamese didnt invent ballad, it was U.S influenced in 1950 during Vietnam war. Ballad is dominant because it is easy to sing karaoke, unlike U.S karaoke is popular in Vietnam among all ages. and ballad also appeals to old Vietnamese who enjoy sad, war songs. It is only recent the government legal clubs and bars that gives raise to EDM, Disco, Upbeat songs. For most of modern vpop songs and entertaiment I check Vietboundary.com , save me sometime to search on youtube.

#66 Themastermindoftheuniverse

Trainee

• Pip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationFairyland

Posted 08 May 2017 - 10:57 AM

I prefer traditional vietnamese songs over vpop tbh...I don't know, I feel that most vietnamese singers/rappers are trying to imitate kpop and they should create their own unique style if they want to become popular...

Definately a korepoo since you don't want vietnamese music to progress. Low peasant mentality. Luckily, people like you will fade away. 

#67 Themastermindoftheuniverse

Trainee

• Pip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationFairyland

Posted 08 May 2017 - 10:59 AM

Koreapoo's think korean are the most beautiful language, think again. Japanese sounds better korean. I showed some kpop BTS crap to some of mye western friends, and they made fun of the language HAHA! 

#68 IMmomobear

IMmomobear

Long-term Trainee

• Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 12:58 PM

As a Vietnamese who like kpop và American pop, I can tell you that Vpop is growing. It's much better than it used to be. It's a good thing. No one has ever said Vpop is at the same level with kpop.  And it has a very very very long way to go to be like kpop. And I don't even think it can. But who know? No one will be even sure what will happen in the future. 

But what makes me happy is that a lot of people are starting to notice Vpop. 

BTW, talking about kpop, I like kpop of the time before 2011, 2012 much more. Kpop groups are starting to look all the same to me

#69 PeachyKeys!

PeachyKeys!

Idol

• PipPip
  • 403 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:48 AM

Sure, why not? Something's gotta replace kpop someday.

#70 Iris Dragonoure

Iris Dragonoure

Trainee

• Pip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationSeventeen's Trash Can

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:06 PM

Okay, so I checked out LIME from this thread a long time ago, and I'm actually a really big fan of them now. They had a comeback last month with Baby Boo.

#71 gayness

gayness

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,510 posts
  • LocationEn La Butthole

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:33 PM

but there's a difference between sounding modern pop and being stylized like kpop. For example, the girl group LIME's music videos are very "kpop-like", for example, and that's mainly because the group was created as a joint effort between a South Korean entertainment company and a Vietnamese entertainment company, and they're actually marketed as a Vietnamese group that sings both Kpop and Vpop. Like there's no denying that there are some (big emphasis on some) V-pop groups that are actually made to sound like kpop groups (the new boy band Taz was also created by both a Korean and Vietnamese entertainment company, just like LIME, and also marketed to have a sound similar to kpop). Artists like Min, Bich Phuong, Miu Le, Tien Tien, etc. are able to have their own individuality in their songs while still appealing to today's mass and singing modern pop music; you can tell a song is theirs rather than just being like a carbon copy of another (and this is one of the biggest criticisms I've heard about the newer artists from older people--I've heard them say that a lot of the newer groups don't seem to have their own originality. I think even the site vpopfan.com, which is run by a Vietnamese person looking to share vpop with the world, once talked about this). 

and before anyone calls me a koreaboo, i grew up with my family listening to vietnamese music, specifically Paris by Night stuff.

TBH me too

#72 Themastermindoftheuniverse

Trainee

• Pip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationFairyland

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:47 PM (Edited by Themastermindoftheuniverse, 17 May 2017 - 01:05 PM.)

The worse koreapoos are the viet koreapoos... They use bolero and cai luong as a excuse against modern VPOP music. They say prefer it just to stop any change in the vietnamese pop music scene. But they do hate it and find that type of music cringworthy. That's how low life they are. Just UhYeh pointed out, they are like the commies in Vietnam that still cling on backward mentality and ideology. These people should change their identity, do plastic surgery to become koreans. I don't consider these low nha que viet as vietnamese. Crawl back to your master the koreans. 

#73 Junkai❤ Sharron

Junkai❤ Sharron

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts
  • LocationJunkai's Heart

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:50 PM (Edited by TFBOYSForever❤, 13 June 2017 - 01:55 PM.)

The worse koreapoos are the viet koreapoos... They use bolero and cai luong as a excuse against modern VPOP music. They say prefer it just to stop any change in the vietnamese pop music scene. But they do hate it and find that type of music cringworthy. That's how low life they are. Just UhYeh pointed out, they are like the commies in Vietnam that still cling on backward mentality and ideology. These people should change their identity, do plastic surgery to become koreans. I don't consider these low nha que viet as vietnamese. Crawl back to your master the koreans. 

I really hate Koreaboos. I'm Canadian born Vietnamese and Chinese (Hong Kong) and I have a best friend who's Canadian. He also has a Canadian born Vietnamese friend. However the dude isn't Vietnamese at all. Every time I see him. I wanna strangle him. He's a total Koreaboo. He's always saying his Korean is better than Vietnamese. I don't even like Korean music because [eople like them. I enjoy English, Vietnamese, Cantonese and Mandarin but defitently not KPOP. Korean Pop = American Pop. Those Koreaboo who likes Kpop becaue it's Westernized. It's not REAL Korean music. I like Chinese Pop but I also enjoy traditional Chinese music. I think I have Okay Vietnamese. My Vietnamese is embarrassing though. I have a little Canadian accent and I always mix Bac and Nam accent.

#74 y2k

y2k

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 04:08 PM

LIME <3

#75 y2k

y2k

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 04:10 PM

no mention of St.319's Min? She's one of the best vpop singers this generation imo since she tries to make vpop sound modern without trying too hard to emulate kpop. Lost is my favorite song from her (there's a part of the chorus that sounds similar to Taeyang's ENL but Lost came out before ENL).

Also I find LIME's Part of Me better than Take It Slow, but you have to understand that LIME is meant to be a Vietnamese kpop group who sings in both Vietnamese and Korean, as part of a joint collaboration between a Korean company and a Vietnamese company.

But vpop still has a long way to go before it's ever as good as kpop and even jpop and c-pop/t-pop (t-pop = taiwanese pop). Also I'm Vietnamese so I can kinda get the general gist of the songs without translations but there's absolutely no translations for a majority of vpop songs out there.

When I say T-pop I mean Thai lmao. Too many pops.

#76 Walmart Goddess

Walmart Goddess

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 05:02 PM (Edited by Walmart Goddess, 13 June 2017 - 05:08 PM.)

wow you guys got trolled hard by this guy. i wouldn't really take what he says seriously. The fact that hes criticizing the Cambodia language despite the fact that it belongs in the same language family as Viet is proof that hes trolling.

to be objective, all of Indochina's languages sound like weird versions of chinese imo. They all have that harsh sounding quality at times. One isn't really necessary better than the other. Vietnam is the Indochina country that is furthest from India, so that is why China had more influence on them but they also seemed to hated the chinese influence as proof of them getting rid of their own chinese-inspired writing script in favor of the latin script from Europe. They're the only country in Indochina that does not use their asian writing script anymore.

also, Indochina's languages are VERY different from the Austronesian languages of the Malay Archipelago, so comparing them to eachother is kind of pointless. The Malay Archipelago also uses Latin script just like Vietnam.

Regarding V-pop, it will never take off outside of Indochina. Same with Thai Pop. Thats just the cold truth, sorry.

#77 livinglifeonpause

livinglifeonpause

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Locationdeep in jooheon's dimples

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:18 PM

V-Pop, Q-Pop, K-Pop, American Pop.... i couldn't care less about the language, if it's good music, it's good music.  Honestly, the thing that's got me stuck on k-pop is the choreos.

Up, Up and Away!