• This topic is locked This topic is locked
149 replies to this topic

#1 Scandinavianvietkieu

Scandinavianvietkieu

Trainee

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationNorthern Europe

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:08 PM (Edited by Scandinavianvietkieu, 17 February 2017 - 02:27 PM.)

Son Tung Mt-P have attracted many fans beyond Vietnam. Other Vpop artists have now fans everywhere from Latin-America, United States, Europe and through Southeast Asia. 

The music quality is good, also MV production value. Examples:

#2 CHICKEN NUGGET

CHICKEN NUGGET

Idol

• PipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationTIFFANY'S HOUSE EATING SOSHI

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:09 PM

Nice try, that won't happen!

Nice try, that won't happen!

Nice promo thou!

#3 High Fructose Yoongi Syrup

High Fructose Yoongi Syrup

Rachet Xiuperstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationLAUGHING WITH JIN, JUNGKOOK AND CHENLE <3

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:13 PM (Edited by High Fructose Yoongi Syrup, 17 February 2017 - 01:13 PM.)

<kpop

#4 Mischo

Mischo

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,344 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:14 PM

I don't... really think so. But anything can happen

#5 Non.

Non.

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:14 PM

nah.

#6 Spring By Chance

Spring By Chance

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,535 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:15 PM (Edited by Spring By Chance, 17 February 2017 - 01:34 PM.)

no mention of St.319's Min? She's one of the best vpop singers this generation imo since she tries to make vpop sound modern without trying too hard to emulate kpop. Lost is my favorite song from her (there's a part of the chorus that sounds similar to Taeyang's ENL but Lost came out before ENL).

Also I find LIME's Part of Me better than Take It Slow, but you have to understand that LIME is meant to be a Vietnamese kpop group who sings in both Vietnamese and Korean, as part of a joint collaboration between a Korean company and a Vietnamese company.

But vpop still has a long way to go before it's ever as good as kpop and even jpop and c-pop/t-pop (t-pop = taiwanese pop). Also I'm Vietnamese so I can kinda get the general gist of the songs without translations but there's absolutely no translations for a majority of vpop songs out there.

#7 Regality

Regality

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationSeoul

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:15 PM

I don't think so

#8 shaym

shaym

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,197 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:15 PM

eh the beat in song 3 was good but that was it. . .

#9 Scandinavianvietkieu

Scandinavianvietkieu

Trainee

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:19 PM

If you look at other asian mv videos like Mongolia, Philippines or Thai, they don't have as much viewers as Vpop songs. Also as I mentioned before, Vpop has many international fans and it's growing. I'm not saying it will push Kpop away, but it could be very popular. I forgot to add Min, but yeah she has great potential.

What do you think about this group?

#10 CALICO CAT

CALICO CAT

나비소녀

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,968 posts
  • LocationSomewhere

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:26 PM

the videos are sure very kpop-inspired, specially the girl group

#11 Spring By Chance

Spring By Chance

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,535 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:36 PM (Edited by Spring By Chance, 17 February 2017 - 01:38 PM.)

the videos are sure very kpop-inspired, specially the girl group

that's because LIME is actually a Vietnamese kpop group that sings in both Vietnamese and Korean (though their Korean sucks lol). They were created as a joint project between a Vietnamese entertainment company and a Korean entertainment company to boost South Korea-Vietnam relations.

And MONSTAR's Love Rain is actually just the vpop version of the Korean song with the same name.

#12 Scandinavianvietkieu

Scandinavianvietkieu

Trainee

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:43 PM

that's because LIME is actually a Vietnamese kpop group that sings in both Vietnamese and Korean (though their Korean sucks lol). They were created as a joint project between a Vietnamese entertainment company and a Korean entertainment company to boost South Korea-Vietnam relations.

And MONSTAR's Love Rain is actually just the vpop version of the Korean song with the same name.

I think since there are many collaberations between korean and vietnamese music, means the korean music industries are seeing a huge potential in VPOP. One big advantage Vietnam has over there fellow SEA neighbours, is culture similarity with Korea. Vietnam is heavily influenced of the chinese confucianism. 

#13 Spring By Chance

Spring By Chance

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,535 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:53 PM (Edited by Spring By Chance, 17 February 2017 - 02:08 PM.)

I think since there are many collaberations between korean and vietnamese music, means the korean music industries are seeing a huge potential in VPOP. One big advantage Vietnam has over there fellow SEA neighbours, is culture similarity with Korea. Vietnam is heavily influenced of the chinese confucianism.

not really, the only collaborations between vietnam and korea that I'm aware of is LIME and TAS. Lip B has a very kpop feel to them but they were created by renowned vpop artist Dong Nhi, and St.319 started out as a kpop dance cover group who didn't branch out into making their own music until recently.

also as an additional note, in vpop, soloists reign over groups. Girl groups and boy groups weren't even a thing until quite recently--like 360daband was the first vpop boy group to be created, and well they recently disbanded. Compared to the huge amount of vpop soloists I can only count with only my two hands the number of vpop boy groups and girl groups.

#14 lavender mint

lavender mint

Cardcaptor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,239 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:59 PM

I think there's a long way before Vpop can become popular, and not many people appreciate the sound of the Vietnamese language. I remember a thread topic about least favourite languages a while back where almost everyone listed Vietnamese as the most unpleasant to listen to. So until more people start appreciating the language I can't see Vpop becoming as big as Kpop. 

#15 Scandinavianvietkieu

Scandinavianvietkieu

Trainee

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:03 PM (Edited by Scandinavianvietkieu, 17 February 2017 - 02:09 PM.)

I think there's a long way before Vpop can become popular, and not many people appreciate the sound of the Vietnamese language. I remember a thread topic about least favourite languages a while back where almost everyone listed Vietnamese as the most unpleasant to listen to. So until more people start appreciating the language I can't see Vpop becoming as big as Kpop. 

I personally think viet rap sucks. I know Karik is a very popular rapper in Vietnam, but he sounds awful. Don't want offend people, but I think cambodian sounds worse than vietnamese. Thai or Pinoy isn't better either. 

Btw, who is everbody that doesn't like vietnamese language? If you look  at all the reaction videos made by westerners of Vpop, none of them seems to have a problem with the language. 

Does this sounds awful for you?

#16 Spring By Chance

Spring By Chance

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,535 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:09 PM (Edited by Spring By Chance, 17 February 2017 - 02:17 PM.)

I personally think viet rap sucks. I know Karik is a very popular rapper in Vietnam, but he sounds awful. Don't want offend people, but I think cambodian sounds worse than vietnamese. Thai or Pinoy isn't better either.
Btw, who is everbody that doesn't like vietnamese language? If you look at all the reaction videos made by westerners of Vpop, none of them seems to have a problem with the language.

there was a thread here on onehallyu a while back in either the Lobby or Random forum where people were asked what language they disliked and a lot of people said Vietnamese. I'm Vietnamese myself and even I find the language grating at times and some vpop singers don't really make the language sound pleasant (looking at all the terrible Paris by Night singers that my grandparents used to love listening to, as well as older vpop artists over 40).

#17 lavender mint

lavender mint

Cardcaptor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,239 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:10 PM

I personally think viet rap sucks. I know Karik is a very popular rapper in Vietnam, but it sounds awful. Don't want offend people, but I think cambodian sounds worse than vietnamese. Thai or Pinoy isn't better either. 

I've never heard Viet rap and am not really interested in hearing it lol. My only Viet music exposure were my grandma's Paris by Night videos and these modern Vpop artists. 

#18 Spring By Chance

Spring By Chance

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,535 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:14 PM (Edited by Spring By Chance, 17 February 2017 - 02:28 PM.)

Btw, who is everbody that doesn't like vietnamese language? If you look at all the reaction videos made by westerners of Vpop, none of them seems to have a problem with the language.

Does this sounds awful for you?

lavender mint is vietnamese, jsyk.

Also UNI5's debut is too kpop-ish and that's something I dislike--I much prefer it when vpop tries to become more modernized in terms of sound without trying to copy kpop, and even the blog vpopfan (created by a Vietnamese person) has pointed out there's too much kpop influence in UNI5. It's why I prefer artists like Min, Hoang Yen Chibi, Thuy Chi, Miu Le, Hari Won (she's half-Korean, half-Vietnamese but all her songs sound more vpop than kpop), and Khoi My because their sounds either don't sound similar to kpop or aren't heavily influenced by kpop.

#19 Scandinavianvietkieu

Scandinavianvietkieu

Trainee

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:15 PM

I've never heard Viet rap and am not really interested in hearing it lol. My only Viet music exposure were my grandma's Paris by Night videos and these modern Vpop artists. 

Forget about these PBN songs. I don't like them either. The new VPOP sounds better except for some rap parts. 

#20 bzz

bzz

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,893 posts
  • LocationSiam

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:19 PM

If you look at other asian mv videos like Mongolia, Philippines or Thai, they don't have as much viewers as Vpop songs. Also as I mentioned before, Vpop has many international fans and it's growing. I'm not saying it will push Kpop away, but it could be very popular. I forgot to add Min, but yeah she has great potential.

What do you think about this group?

You must have looked into the wrong videos.

93M views

220M views

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0p-61mLUGw

12M views

If you get the info "Vpop has many international fans" from Youtube comment sections, you can find foreigners' comments on popular T-pop or Pinoy pop as well.

If you get that from foreigners' reaction to V-pop songs, well, they are those to T-pop ones too.

That boy group is not bad. I don't mind its strong kimchi smell and I don't think most Thais do too.  But, V-pop is yet to have a dozen boy and girl groups of this quality and has no enough resource/ network to reach to Thai public.

Up, Up and Away!