Teru 22,363 Posted February 4, 2017 Share Posted February 4, 2017 I just gotta post this because seeing this misinfo spread around on twitter is driving me nuts. I'm not in Seventeen fandom nor do I have anything for or against them, I'm just tired of seeing this get out of hand (and if it's affecting other fandoms please spread the word as well). anyway, there was a news update today about the Fukushima Daiichi power plant in Fukushima, Japan (which was damaged in the 2011 Tohoku earthquake as you may remember). here is an article from the Japan Times about the new reading: Highest radiation reading since 3/11 detected at Fukushima No. 1 reactor KYODO, STAFF REPORT FEB 3, 2017 The radiation level in the containment vessel of reactor 2 at the crippled Fukushima No. 1 power plant has reached a maximum of 530 sieverts per hour, the highest since the triple core meltdown in March 2011, Tokyo Electric Power Co. Holdings Inc. said. Tepco said on Thursday that the blazing radiation reading was taken near the entrance to the space just below the pressure vessel, which contains the reactor core. The high figure indicates that some of the melted fuel that escaped the pressure vessel is nearby. At 530 sieverts, a person could die from even brief exposure, highlighting the difficulties ahead as the government and Tepco grope their way toward dismantling all three reactors crippled by the March 2011 disaster. Tepco also announced that, based on its analysis of images taken by a remote-controlled camera, that there is a 2-meter hole in the metal grating under the pressure vessel in the reactor’s primary containment vessel. It also thinks part of the grating is warped. The hole could have been caused when the fuel escaped the pressure vessel after the mega-quake and massive tsunami triggered a station blackout that crippled the plant’s ability to cool the reactors. The searing radiation level, described by some experts as “unimaginable,†far exceeds the previous high of 73 sieverts per hour at the reactor. Tepco said it calculated the figure by analyzing the electronic noise in the camera images caused by the radiation. This estimation method has a margin of error of plus or minus 30 percent, it said. An official of the National Institute of Radiological Sciences said medical professionals have never considered dealing with this level of radiation in their work. According to the institute, 4 sieverts of radiation exposure would kill 1 in 2 people. Experts say 1,000 millisieverts, or 1 sievert, could lead to infertility, loss of hair and cataracts, while exposure to doses above that increases the risk of cancer. According to Tepco, readings of surface radiation on parts used inside a normally operating pressure vessel can reach several thousands sieverts per hour. The discovery spells difficulty of removing the fuel debris to decommission at the plant. The government and Tepco hope to locate the fuel and start removing it in 2021. In the coming weeks, the utility plans to deploy a remote-controlled robot to check conditions inside the containment vessel, but the utility is likely to have to change its plan. For one thing, it will have to reconsider the route the robot takes into the interior because of the hole in the grating. Also, given the extraordinary level of radiation, the robot would only be able to operate for less than two hours before it is destroyed. That is because it is designed to withstand exposure of up to 1,000 sieverts. Based on the calculation of 73 sieverts per hour, the robot could run for more than 10 hours, but 530 sieverts per hour means it would be rendered inoperable in less than two hours. Tepco has been probing reactor 2’s containment vessel since last week. On Monday, it found a black mass deposited on the grating directly under the pressure vessel. The images, captured using a camera attached to a telescopic arm the same day, showed part of the grating was missing. Further analysis found the 2-meter hole in an area beyond the missing section on the structure. If the deposits are confirmed to be melted fuel, it would be the first time the utility has found any of it at the three reactors that suffered core meltdowns. The world’s worst nuclear disaster since Chernobyl in 1986 triggered core meltdowns in reactors 1 through 3. Portions of the core in each reactor are believed to have melted through their pressure vessels and pooled at the bottom of their containment vessels. The actual condition of the melted fuel remains unknown because the radiation is too high to check it. Meanwhile, a nuclear research organization unveiled on Friday a robot that will be tasked with surveying reactor 1 at the complex. Tepco plans to send the robot into reactor 1 in March, while its survey plan for reactor 2 remains unclear because of the high radiation levels. The stick-like robot is 70 cm long and equipped with a camera, according to the International Research Institute for Nuclear Decommissioning. During a robotic survey in April 2015, the operator found no major obstacles in the path planned in reactor 1 but found water accumulating in the basement. In the upcoming survey, it hopes to examine the water by deploying a camera and a radiation sensor. “Confirming the conditions inside the reactor is a first step toward decommissioning,†Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry Hiroshige Seko said in a news conference Friday. “While difficult tasks and unexpected matters may arise, we will mobilize all of Japan’s technological capabilities to steadily implement decommissioning work and rebuild Fukushima,†he added. okay, I mean, obviously that's not great news for the people trying to decommission the plant as it means their jobs will get even more dangerous, but anyone can see from reading this article that there is no risk to anyone in Japan outside of those working to decommission the plant who may be exposed to the radiation directly. this means that there is NO risk to anyone outside of the immediate vicinity of the plant. this includes people living in Fukushima prefecture (it's quite large and not limited to the coastal area where the plant is located) and very certainly includes people who live nowhere near the plant at all. there are also news headlines being shared that say "exposure can cause death within 30 seconds" - yeah, if you stick your head into a molten-down nuclear reactor, it's pretty like you're gonna die. this is not saying huge radiation is suddenly in the air about to kill the entire population of Japan. it does not mean it has already killed someone within 30 seconds and it's only a matter of time for the rest of us. if this was the case, it would certainly be bigger news. if you're coming to Japan for a visit, you don't need to suddenly worry about getting exposed to radiation once you land at Haneda. your faves aren't gonna die from radiation exposure by holding a concert in Yokohama arena, 200 miles away from the plant, especially not while there people are still happily living their normal lives just 20 miles away from it. Japan may be small compared to other nations but it is still a pretty large country. what's happening in Fukushima won't make a difference to your trip to Tokyo, Fukuoka, Hokkaido or wherever else. Korean Seventeen fans seem to have started this hashtag: #í”Œë ˆë””ìŠ¤ëŠ”_세ë¸í‹´_ì¼ë³¸_스케줄ì„_취소해주세요 which is basically asking Pledis to cancel Seventeen's upcoming Japanese tour because of the Fukushima plant news "for their health" I don't know if they have an ulterior motive for doing this (I know in some fandoms kfans can be protective of groups going to promote in Japan and would rather have them promote domestically instead) or if they're really misguided about this news and genuinely concerned but either way, international fans are being driven to worry because of it, are coming up with all sorts of bizarre assumptions about the news, and are also harassing Pledis about it. all that will happen is, if Pledis acquiesce to fans' demands, you all lose out on a tour that could be very beneficial to the group and a lot of fun for fans in Japan and overseas alike for absolutely no reason at all. Japan is safe. your faves are safe. seafood isn't "contaminated by a radiation leak" - I ate some sushi a few days ago and I'm still alive. I haven't grown any second heads or third eyeballs yet. everybody is going about their normal business. this isn't even headline news in Japan, everybody's too busy throwing beans and posting instagram pics of the ehomaki they are for Setsubun yesterday to be bothered. if you're coming to one of Seventeen's concerts in Japan, enjoy your visit and make the most of it. don't let herd mentality panic ruin what could be a good tour and a stepping stone for your fave group and don't join in without checking the facts first. anyway I just had to post something before the inevitable happened on this forum too since nobody bothers to read shit before losing their head anymore. if you see it in your fandom tell them to get a clue as well please. if you didn't need to be told this because you're smart enough to read news online before jumping to wild conclusions, keep doing your thang and being your bad self, thanks - sincerely, a person living in Tokyo who hasn't been irradiated to death yet Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
酷� 329 Posted February 4, 2017 Share Posted February 4, 2017 what's new? teen fangirls overreacting over minor issues without knowing the details. let them be, it's not like pledis gonna stop seventeen's japanese activities. and it's not like k-fans gonna stop supporting seventeen if pledis let them go japan. never understand these kind of fuss. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
missycin 1,117 Posted February 4, 2017 Share Posted February 4, 2017 a lot of people seem to be really ignorant Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Teru 22,363 Posted February 4, 2017 Author Share Posted February 4, 2017 what's new? teen fangirls overreacting over minor issues without knowing the details. let them be, it's not like pledis gonna stop seventeen's japanese activities. and it's not like k-fans gonna stop supporting seventeen if pledis let them go japan. never understand these kind of fuss. yeah it's stupid. fans are gonna unnecessarily create tension with Japanese fans with this too I would let it blow over but when people start saying they want to cancel trips and stuff, that's too much... these are people's real lives Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
wonwhoa 551 Posted February 4, 2017 Share Posted February 4, 2017 But I haven't even seen or heard anything about this? Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
JENNIE'S OPPA 3,082 Posted February 4, 2017 Share Posted February 4, 2017 Is there a tl:dr? Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Teru 22,363 Posted February 4, 2017 Author Share Posted February 4, 2017 But I haven't even seen or heard anything about this? then good, but you can just check the hashtag for the mess. I don't have some ulterior motive against your fandom to make this up... Is there a tl:dr? fans think Japan is full of radiation and their faves are gonna die; it is not and is safe to visit Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Joji. 5,062 Posted February 4, 2017 Share Posted February 4, 2017 It's scary how people can run with mis-information at face value. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
tipsy love 1,452 Posted February 4, 2017 Share Posted February 4, 2017 thanks for the info! i saw some tweets about this and didn't know what was going on. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Teru 22,363 Posted February 4, 2017 Author Share Posted February 4, 2017 thanks for the info! i saw some tweets about this and didn't know what was going on. no prob. it would suck for people to miss out on a tour imo Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Obelisk 425 Posted February 4, 2017 Share Posted February 4, 2017 Japan isn't scary, but sometimes fans are terrifying. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Seopatra 1,767 Posted February 4, 2017 Share Posted February 4, 2017 They probably think oppa will grow 3 arms and 5 eyes. Ignorant fans should know they can make a lot of money by promoting in Japan and aren't they trendy there right now? Better act on it while still popular. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
orphan 775 Posted February 4, 2017 Share Posted February 4, 2017 Thanks for the info op! Their fans' worries are understandable but still an overreaction. Feels like the 2011 Big Bang's Love and Hope Japan tour back in 2011 all over again. I went to Japan in 2012 for work and 2014 for my honeymoon and I can attest my baby boy is a perfectly healthy. As for the international fans, do abit of research. Especially if you lived in a country that do not harness nuclear energy like ASEAN nations. I don't know if anyone remember news in the past about the older Japanese citizens volunteering to help with the cleanup after the meltdown because they don't want the younger citizens to be exposed as they had already 'lived' their life and past their prime. *Heartbreaking* Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
myall13 238 Posted February 4, 2017 Share Posted February 4, 2017 stupid fans i always feel like KCarats are always overreacting Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
StanSEVENTEEN2019 11,057 Posted February 4, 2017 Share Posted February 4, 2017 they're lowkey using this to prevent SEVENTEEN promoting in japan because of PLEDIS background in promoting their artist there. But yeah, a lot of International Carats are already clearing up that it's SAFE and no one is gonna die. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
StanSEVENTEEN2019 11,057 Posted February 4, 2017 Share Posted February 4, 2017 can someone please translate this in Korean/hangul and ghost write it on Fancafe/Pann/Insti because KCarats are being so dramatic and keeps on telling Pledis staff twitter to cancel their Japan tour like what? (this is like that DK fansite inccident but worse) and those fake concerns annoys me really . They really just don't want to Seventeen to go to Japan. Why are they being like this? They think Seventeen should only be exclusive for them? They already acted uglies when they wanted to report that account who shares the content from Channel+ because not all fans can buy it. I'm really mad I'm saying this as a Carat but their drama needs to stop Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.