#41 ImJustASlyFox

ImJustASlyFox

Maisha ♥ Mees Mad forever and ever

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,720 posts
  • LocationKawaii in the streets, senpai in the sheets

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:09 AM

Thanks for making this thread :3

What do you think of Gary as a rapper? :3 also B-free..he's the rapper that got shit for being rude to the BTS rappers lol one of my favorite songs by him is anything

#42 The Dense One

The Dense One

Sooyoung's Cookie Ninja

• PipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:10 AM

Thanks for making this thread :3

What do you think of Gary as a rapper? :3 also B-free..he's the rapper that got shit for being rude to the BTS rappers lol one of my favorite songs by him is anything

I do need some material to make a judgement on them...

But from memory, I enjoy Gary's stuff to say the least.

#43 green

green

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:10 AM (Edited by green, 06 February 2014 - 07:19 AM.)

No worries, but the point of this thread isn't to re-affirm your liking for someone, rather to point out where rappers are in their proficiency and the areas in which they need to improve. For example, I don't consider Jimin (AOA) to be a good rapper, but people still like her.

At the end of the day, who you like is down to you! :)

G-Dragon first...

His flow is very nice, it's consistent and has no issues in terms of how the words melt into each other. His vocal tone is a bit on the high side but it's still ideal and has enjoyed great success. His delivery doesn't have a lot of problems, but it could be better. The emphasis and the emotion is there, but it's missing some power... That could be due to the song however.

T.O.P is similar to GD in the sense that his flow is very consistent, moreso than that of GD, and his vocal tone is more ideal but it's on the deeper end of the spectrum, it works for him though. His delivery is a lot stronger too and the emphasis is there but sometimes it's a bit too much... His main problem is the emotion behind it, he needs to work on emoting himself through his words, it's all fine and dandy being able to deliver the words with enough emphasis to show that your angry, but it only sounds rough it never sounds angry (using anger as an example).

The funny thing is, however, these two compliment each other perfectly because they cover each others flaws and boost their strengths to new heights. Good duo there.

(By the way, didn't you want me to do one for Rap Monster as well?)

Hi, I'm a VIP. Thanks for doing GD and TOP. \^^/

Your thread is interesting.

So...TOP has better Fow and Delivery and Vocal Tone then?

There is this one famous K-rapper Tiger JK who said GD and Dok2 are better rappers but TOP's voice/vocal tone >>

Or maybe I misunderstood it....

Also, I'm curious does a rapper's technique/ability differ from every song or is it something like a singer's ability which can be evident no matter which song he does? Is it possible a rapper is bad in one song but awesome in another song?

Also, please check out TOP's Doom Dada! It's one of his most interesting songs for me, rap-wise. His live perf of this song is awesome.

Also, please check out GD's One of a Kind. I'm not sure if this is his best in terms of rap but One of a Kind has won him hip-hop awards:

Also, what do you think of Taeyang as rapper? He's one of Bigbang's vocalist but originally is planned to debut as a rapper like GD.

I think he has potential...?

#44 Gen_ki

Gen_ki

Waylander4Life

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,966 posts
  • LocationWayland

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:10 AM

Also, what do you think of Taeyang as rapper? He's one of Bigbang's vocalist but originally is planned to debut as a rapper like GD.

Umm..you say Taeyang, but you posted one of Seungri's songs. 

#45 green

green

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:13 AM (Edited by green, 06 February 2014 - 09:19 AM.)

Umm..you say Taeyang, but you posted one of Seungri's songs. 

It's Seungrii's song featuring GDYB.

YB is the 3rd person you hear. I used this song because it's the only song I can find where YB raps and he's actually ok/good in it (I wasn't fond of YB's rapping in Ringa Linga :._.: ). And their live perf in this Seungri song is also :ahmagah:

#46 The Dense One

The Dense One

Sooyoung's Cookie Ninja

• PipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:43 PM (Edited by The Dense One, 06 February 2014 - 12:49 PM.)

Hi, I'm a VIP. Thanks for doing GD and TOP. \^^/

Your thread is interesting.

So...TOP has better Fow and Delivery and Vocal Tone then?

There is this one famous K-rapper Tiger JK who said GD and Dok2 are better rappers but TOP's voice/vocal tone >>

Or maybe I misunderstood it....

Also, I'm curious does a rapper's technique/ability differ from every song or is it something like a singer's ability which can be evident no matter which song he does? Is it possible a rapper is bad in one song but awesome in another song?

Also, please check out TOP's Doom Dada! It's one of his most interesting songs for me, rap-wise. His live perf of this song is awesome.

Also, please check out GD's One of a Kind. I'm not sure if this is his best in terms of rap but One of a Kind has won him hip-hop awards:

T.O.P has a more consistent flow and is generally better at how well the words "flow" into the next line than GD and his vocal tone is more ideal, but GD has a slightly better delivery than T.O.P. If you want to compare the two in that manner.

Now to look at their individual songs. T.O.P's flow is a masterpiece here, everything is just weaved together seamlessly even when he's experimenting with his flow with some chopping, you could call this Korean "Rap God". The great thing here is that he has even corrected some of the usual mistakes in his delivery, and his rapping seems to have improved leaps and bounds because of it. It sounds a lot more emotive than before and a lot less unnecessarily angry.

He even improves on his vocal tone as well, so if T.O.P continues down this line of improvement he could even rival some of the Korean hip-hop greats like Tiger JK himself! XD

GD in this song is hard to judge on flow, because he uses a lot of "Stumbling Flow" here and although I want to firmly believe that he's just messing around with the flow here just to make it sound like "Swag Rap". Where the flow is most consistent, it sounds impressive but at points it's still rather choppy and not as consistent as it could be, even going as far as disjointed, but then that could be put down as all part of the delivery.

Speaking of which, the delivery is prestige. Very clear in the fast parts with absolutely no slurring whatsoever, the emphasis is in the right places and the emotion here is perfectly expressed... It's great that he's improved the delivery but sacrificing flow for it is never a good look, it's kind of like New Eminem vs Old Eminem, New Eminem emphasizes Delivery over Flow whereas the Old Eminem had it the other way around.

The problem with doing this is that most people that aren't in the know believe that when a rapper does this, they have declined from their former ability, which is a shame because that truly isn't the case at all.

If it's any consolation, his vocal tone here is the most ideal I've heard from a K-Pop rapper so far (that's debuted anyway, I'm not gonna count Bobby or Mino yet.)

Finally, Youngbae or Taeyang. Now while I love his singing voice, there is something about his rapping that is sort of off-putting for me. The thing he does with his voice (like what he does in Ringa Linga) is really annoying and screams of third-rate Lil Wayne impersonation.

I mean, I appreciate the fact he's heavily inspired by American Artists, such as Ne-yo, Usher, MJ and Lil Wayne, but there is inspiration and their is straight up poorly done plagiarism. Not to take anything way from his rapping ability, the flow is nice and his vocal tone is okay (personally I prefer his appearance on Wheesung's song but whatever) nevertheless, his delivery needs a complete re-work into something that can still be drawing inspiration for the Lil Wayne style but not completely hijacking the concept and having some original flavor to it... Something that screams that this is Taeyang and not Korean Lil Wayne with a decent singing voice.

That said, Lil Wayne actually got inspiration from Jadakiss for his rapping style... A good trick to do is to draw influence from your inspiration's influence.

For example if you like Ailee? Go to Beyonce. If you like Beyonce? Go to Whitney Houston. If you like Whitney Houston? Go to Etta James.

Or maybe you like IU? Go to Mariah Carey. If you like Mariah Carey? Celine Dion. If you like Celine Dion? Go to Barbara Streisand.

You never go straight to the person for inspiration, you always find what makes them tick and take that on board whilst adopting your own style at the same time, that's why musicians have so many influences, they can never truly pick one person otherwise they are just copying that person.

And one last thing... The great thing about rap (which separates it from singing) is that although yes it is evident that a rapper has their own signature style, they can still rap in a different manner and always adapt their flow and delivery to the song and make it fit within the theme of their song.

The thing that sets every rapper apart from each other is usually their vocal tone because it is unique to them. If it's the rapper's delivery or flow that sets them apart then that's usually a rare occurrence (e.g. Lil Wayne or Jadakiss for delivery, Twista and Tech N9ne for flow, Busta Rhymes for both).

Singers are a lot more limited in that regard because when a singer writes their singing part, it is usually quite similar because of two things...

• The preferred genre. (Jazz singers have to sing in a certain way that's different to a Blues singer).
  • The melody and rhythmic cadence has to fit the song, which is way harder than rap because singing too fast or too slow may work against the melody.

Rappers aren't limited to genre, as long as their flow fits the beat and they can mess with the rhythmic cadence as much as they want as long as it fits the beat.

Hence why it's a lot easier to judge a singer's ability and their musicianship than it is to judge a rappers.

#47 green

green

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:33 PM (Edited by green, 06 February 2014 - 01:50 PM.)

T.O.P has a more consistent flow and is generally better at how well the words "flow" into the next line than GD and his vocal tone is more ideal, but GD has a slightly better delivery than T.O.P. If you want to compare the two in that manner.

Now to look at their individual songs. T.O.P's flow is a masterpiece here, everything is just weaved together seamlessly even when he's experimenting with his flow with some chopping, you could call this Korean "Rap God". The great thing here is that he has even corrected some of the usual mistakes in his delivery, and his rapping seems to have improved leaps and bounds because of it. It sounds a lot more emotive than before and a lot less unnecessarily angry.

He even improves on his vocal tone as well, so if T.O.P continues down this line of improvement he could even rival some of the Korean hip-hop greats like Tiger JK himself! XD

GD in this song is hard to judge on flow, because he uses a lot of "Stumbling Flow" here and although I want to firmly believe that he's just messing around with the flow here just to make it sound like "Swag Rap". Where the flow is most consistent, it sounds impressive but at points it's still rather choppy and not as consistent as it could be, even going as far as disjointed, but then that could be put down as all part of the delivery.

Speaking of which, the delivery is prestige. Very clear in the fast parts with absolutely no slurring whatsoever, the emphasis is in the right places and the emotion here is perfectly expressed... It's great that he's improved the delivery but sacrificing flow for it is never a good look, it's kind of like New Eminem vs Old Eminem, New Eminem emphasizes Delivery over Flow whereas the Old Eminem had it the other way around.

The problem with doing this is that most people that aren't in the know believe that when a rapper does this, they have declined from their former ability, which is a shame because that truly isn't the case at all.

If it's any consolation, his vocal tone here is the most ideal I've heard from a K-Pop rapper so far (that's debuted anyway, I'm not gonna count Bobby or Mino yet.)

Finally, Youngbae or Taeyang. Now while I love his singing voice, there is something about his rapping that is sort of off-putting for me. The thing he does with his voice (like what he does in Ringa Linga) is really annoying and screams of third-rate Lil Wayne impersonation.

I mean, I appreciate the fact he's heavily inspired by American Artists, such as Ne-yo, Usher, MJ and Lil Wayne, but there is inspiration and their is straight up poorly done plagiarism. Not to take anything way from his rapping ability, the flow is nice and his vocal tone is okay (personally I prefer his appearance on Wheesung's song but whatever) nevertheless, his delivery needs a complete re-work into something that can still be drawing inspiration for the Lil Wayne style but not completely hijacking the concept and having some original flavor to it... Something that screams that this is Taeyang and not Korean Lil Wayne with a decent singing voice.

That said, Lil Wayne actually got inspiration from Jadakiss for his rapping style... A good trick to do is to draw influence from your inspiration's influence.

For example if you like Ailee? Go to Beyonce. If you like Beyonce? Go to Whitney Houston. If you like Whitney Houston? Go to Etta James.

Or maybe you like IU? Go to Mariah Carey. If you like Mariah Carey? Celine Dion. If you like Celine Dion? Go to Barbara Streisand.

You never go straight to the person for inspiration, you always find what makes them tick and take that on board whilst adopting your own style at the same time, that's why musicians have so many influences, they can never truly pick one person otherwise they are just copying that person.

And one last thing... The great thing about rap (which separates it from singing) is that although yes it is evident that a rapper has their own signature style, they can still rap in a different manner and always adapt their flow and delivery to the song and make it fit within the theme of their song.

The thing that sets every rapper apart from each other is usually their vocal tone because it is unique to them. If it's the rapper's delivery or flow that sets them apart then that's usually a rare occurrence (e.g. Lil Wayne or Jadakiss for delivery, Twista and Tech N9ne for flow, Busta Rhymes for both).

Singers are a lot more limited in that regard because when a singer writes their singing part, it is usually quite similar because of two things...

• The preferred genre. (Jazz singers have to sing in a certain way that's different to a Blues singer).
  • The melody and rhythmic cadence has to fit the song, which is way harder than rap because singing too fast or too slow may work against the melody.

Rappers aren't limited to genre, as long as their flow fits the beat and they can mess with the rhythmic cadence as much as they want as long as it fits the beat.

Hence why it's a lot easier to judge a singer's ability and their musicianship than it is to judge a rappers.

Thanks a lot for this. :smile: I have read a lot of reviews for GDTOP rapping. Yours is really nicely put. ^^ I am really curious to know alot about my fave group's progress.

Recently, I heard many say (and I notice b4 too) that TOP has declined in skill somewhat in his rapping but then we're actually impressed with his MAMA performance of Doom Dada in 2013. Maybe the decline in late 2011-2012 is just due to body fatigue because of the world tour and he was filming a movie that time. So now that he got free time, he really impressed people with Doom Dada. I'm happy he's still into music and is actually improving in his rap or delivery, as you say. I'm also impressed that he seems to have really thought a lot of Doom Dada's concept and lyrics. I agree, I think he's a strong rapper in Korea. ^^

GD said in 2012 that he is still, first and foremost, a rapper but recently he has been very into production. Even in interviews of his co-producers/writers (if I understand it correctly), his time in making music is spent mostly in his production process. He spends so much time redoing and experimenting lol. But even then, he still impresses me with his versatility(?) as a rapper and his delivery. There are songs where he sort of changes style or manner of rap, so he doesn't bore me with his flow(?), LOL I'm not sure if I'm saying it the right way. Also, as opposed to TOP's lyrics that are usually poetic (even when translated to English, the poetry really can be seen), kfans say that GD's rap lyrics are full of word puns and hidden meanings in Korean llanguage/history. So I'm also really happy that he seems to be happy improving and learning and yet playing around and having fun making music at the same time.

TOP is the serious and strong rapper and GD is the playful and charismatic rapper LOL. :ahmagah:

But just confused, you said GD's flow in OOAK is the most ideal among kpop rappers but he sacrificed flow to have awesome delivery...? And yes I agree, I really like his delivery here \^^/. He's actually praised for something he did with OOAK by some K-hiphop critics. I don't really remember well what it is exactly but it is his delivery and strength(?) in his style that I really enjoyed the most in this song. (And LOL this is the 2nd time I've heard someone mention Eminem's old-new style in a GD discussion. ^^)

On YB, yes I wasn't very fond of his Ringa Linga rap. Many VIPs too were actually slightly disappointed because he actually did ok/good in his featuring in Seungri's song. I think he's not quite confident yet to have his own rap style so I'm thinking maybe he just mimicked the style of the demo presented to him when he recorded Ringa Linga. But yeah, like you, I prefer him as a singer. He has a great RnB track record in Korea ^^. I hope he sticks with it so it becomes his trademark.

#48 yournoona

yournoona

KONtact Center

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,345 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:44 PM (Edited by yournoona, 06 February 2014 - 01:47 PM.)

gd's vocal tone is the most ideal? isnt his voice kinda nasally and thin ? so there's a wrong perception about rappers should have husky voice, then.
What i learned is someone gotta love his voice and improve it to make it sound better.

#49 The Dense One

The Dense One

Sooyoung's Cookie Ninja

• PipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:46 PM (Edited by The Dense One, 06 February 2014 - 01:50 PM.)

Thanks a lot for this. :smile: I have read a lot of reviews for GDTOP rapping. Yours is really nicely put. ^^ I am really curious to know alot about my fave group's progress.

Recently, I heard many say (and I notice b4 too) that TOP has declined in skill somewhat in his rapping but then we're actually impressed with his MAMA performance of Doom Dada in 2013. Maybe the decline in late 2011-2012 is just due to body fatigue because of the world tour and he was filming a movie that time. So now that he got free time, he really impressed people with Doom Dada. I'm happy he's still into music and is actually improving in his rap or delivery, as you say. I'm also impressed that he seems to have really thought a lot of Doom Dada's concept and lyrics. I agree, I think he'll be a great rapper. ^^

GD said in 2012 that he is still, first and foremost, a rapper but recently he has been very into production. Even in interviews of his co-producers/writers (if I understand it correctly), his time in making music is spent mostly in his production process. He spends so much time redoing and experimenting lol. But even then, he still impresses me with his versatility(?) as a rapper and his delivery. There are songs where he sort of changes style or manner of rap, so he doesn't bore me with his flow(?), LOL I'm not sure if I'm saying it the right way. Also, as opposed to TOP's lyrics that are usually poetic (even when translated to English, the poetry really can be seen), kfans say that GD's rap lyrics are full of word puns and hidden meanings in Korean llanguage/history. So I'm also really happy that he seems to be happy improving and learning and yet playing around and having fun making music at the same time.

But just confused, you said GD's flow in OOAK is the most ideal among kpop rappers but he sacrificed flow to have awesome delivery...? And yes I agree, I really like his delivery here \^^/. He's actually praised for something he did with OOAK by some K-hiphop critics. I don't really remember well what it is exactly but it is his delivery and strength(?) in his style that I really enjoyed the most in this song. (And LOL this is the 2nd time I've heard someone mention Eminem's old-new style in a GD discussion. ^^)

On YB, yes I wasn't very fond of his Ringa Linga rap. Many VIPs too were actually slightly disappointed because he actually did ok/good in his featuring in Seungri's song. I think he's not quite confident yet to have his own rap style so I'm thinking maybe he just mimicked the style of the demo presented to him when he recorded Ringa Linga. But yeah, like you, I prefer him as a singer. He has a great RnB track record in Korea ^^. I hope he sticks with it so it becomes his trademark.

No worries, glad I could help! :)

T.O.P's lyricism is definitely poetic and I could see him becoming a songwriter when he's done with his career, it would be a good time investment anyhow.

The major thing here is that all the members of Big Bang have a genuine love of music and it shows through their work and out of all the idols they are the most developed in terms of musicality and artistry. They all have an image that is unique to them and a concept that they follow through with perfectly.

But like I've said before, this thread isn't to reaffirm anyone's liking of their faves or anything like that, this is just an honest critique of how far each rapper has come in their progress. Furthermore, I am not the be all, end all authority on what is good and bad, I just happen to know the criteria and what to expect from a good rapper.

You can also use the criteria on the first page to make a judgement for yourself whether or not their technique is good. Finally, your favourite rappers don't necessarily need to be the best in this criteria to be good OR successful.

50 Cent has really slurred delivery, and a sloppy flow... He only has a decent vocal tone and yet he is one of the biggest rappers in the world.

Just saying :)

^ gd's vocal tone is the most ideal? isnt his voice kinda nasally and thin ? so there's a wrong perception about rappers should have husky voice, then.
What i learned is someone gotta love his voice and improve it to make it sound better.

Not always, but in "One Of A Kind", it's the closest to the most ideal... His voice is deep enough at some parts and not as nasally as his other songs.

I was only critiquing based off of "One Of A Kind". But you are correct, rappers don't always need a husky voice and it would be unnecessary for the type of song that "One Of A Kind" is.

Once again, vocal tone is the most subjective and is completely dependent on the concept of the song and the beat... But the typical rap voice is about that level of deepness or maybe T.O.P's rap god voice but just not as husky as him or as nasally as GD.

#50 yournoona

yournoona

KONtact Center

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,345 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:50 PM

^ lmao true that, 50 cent's flow lmao. it' so flat. guess, it's his trademark to set him apart from other rappers and it works really well.because whenever i hear someone rapping in that kind of flow, i can totally guess that's 50.

#51 The Dense One

The Dense One

Sooyoung's Cookie Ninja

• PipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:54 PM

^ lmao true that, 50 cent's flow lmao. it' so flat. guess, it's his trademark to set him apart from other rappers and it works really well.because whenever i hear someone rapping in that kind of flow, i can totally guess that's 50.

That's precisely what I mean, it's recognizable and unique to the artist! XD

Another artist with similar delivery to 50 Cent is a british rapper known as Giggs. He's well known over here because of it...

#52 stab

stab

come light me up

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,215 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:57 PM

YAAAS I'VE ALWAYS WANTED TO SEE THIS THREAD

#53 The Dense One

The Dense One

Sooyoung's Cookie Ninja

• PipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:59 PM

YAAAS I'VE ALWAYS WANTED TO SEE THIS THREAD

Ummm... Okay? Do you have someone in mind to be analyzed? XD

#54 stab

stab

come light me up

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,215 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:03 PM

Ummm... Okay? Do you have someone in mind to be analyzed? XD

Haha okay.

Who would you have to say is the worse "rapper" of EXO? This is a stupid question but I'm curious.

From best to worst, it's Chanyeol>Tao>???

Thank you for making this thread!

#55 junglove

junglove

♡Kim Jisoo

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,918 posts
  • Locationiljinjack land

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:07 PM

I never thought that Eminem was good I thought he was just a decent rapper 

is lose yourself a song where he can showcase his rapping skills?

#56 ImJustASlyFox

ImJustASlyFox

Maisha ♥ Mees Mad forever and ever

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,720 posts
  • LocationKawaii in the streets, senpai in the sheets

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:10 PM

I do need some material to make a judgement on them...

But from memory, I enjoy Gary's stuff to say the least.

Here is a Leessang song

and here is B-free

#57 green

green

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:17 PM (Edited by green, 06 February 2014 - 02:29 PM.)

No worries, glad I could help! :)

T.O.P's lyricism is definitely poetic and I could see him becoming a songwriter when he's done with his career, it would be a good time investment anyhow.

The major thing here is that all the members of Big Bang have a genuine love of music and it shows through their work and out of all the idols they are the most developed in terms of musicality and artistry. They all have an image that is unique to them and a concept that they follow through with perfectly.

But like I've said before, this thread isn't to reaffirm anyone's liking of their faves or anything like that, this is just an honest critique of how far each rapper has come in their progress. Furthermore, I am not the be all, end all authority on what is good and bad, I just happen to know the criteria and what to expect from a good rapper.

You can also use the criteria on the first page to make a judgement for yourself whether or not their technique is good. Finally, your favourite rappers don't necessarily need to be the best in this criteria to be good OR successful.

50 Cent has really slurred delivery, and a sloppy flow... He only has a decent vocal tone and yet he is one of the biggest rappers in the world.

Just saying :)

Not always, but in "One Of A Kind", it's the closest to the most ideal... His voice is deep enough at some parts and not as nasally as his other songs.

I was only critiquing based off of "One Of A Kind". But you are correct, rappers don't always need a husky voice and it would be unnecessary for the type of song that "One Of A Kind" is.

Once again, vocal tone is the most subjective and is completely dependent on the concept of the song and the beat... But the typical rap voice is about that level of deepness or maybe T.O.P's rap god voice but just not as husky as him or as nasally as GD.

Thnx a lot. :smile:

Yeah, if by preference only, skill aside, GDTOP is the best rappers for me lol :happy: They fit each other well. As I said, TOP is the serious and strong rapper while GD is the playful and charismatic rapper. :chu:

And GD is the rapper I enjoy the most in the world.  :ahmagah: Maybe it has got to do more on his varied type of songs and his eagerness to mix hip-hop with different types of genres--rock, trot, pop, edm, etc. The other rappers I listen to b4 in the West, I only listen up to 1 or 2 songs and I immediately jump ship lol.

Anyway, you say you're a rapper too? Are you underground or are you trying out in some mainstream field? Make a shout-out to OH when you get famous, k? :happy:

Thanks again!! :smile:

#58 Gen_ki

Gen_ki

Waylander4Life

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,966 posts
  • LocationWayland

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:40 PM

Can someone recommend a good Tiger JK song? I have always wanted to check him out.

#59 The Dense One

The Dense One

Sooyoung's Cookie Ninja

• PipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:49 PM

Haha okay.

Who would you have to say is the worse "rapper" of EXO? This is a stupid question but I'm curious.

From best to worst, it's Chanyeol>Tao>???

Thank you for making this thread!

Hmmm... Well I'd actually have to break it down and deconstruct it for you.

Chanyeol is definitely the best out of the EXO rapping line, his flow is very nice for an SM rapper and his delivery is good (needs a bit more emphasis on certain words and could do well to emote better, because when he raps in Baby Don't Cry it sounds over-the-top and corny, whereas in their title tracks he sounds a bit too bland).

The area he needs most work on is his vocal tone, a bit more bass in his voice would go a long way in making him sounds miles better and more credible than he already does, but if it's any consolation the dude's talented! :)

Kai would actually be next in the line of EXO rappers, the reason why I'm put him ahead of Tao is purely because of delivery. Kai's vocal tone is a bit too high-pitched to get the words across with any sort of weight to them. He also has a rather effeminate quality to the vocal texture which is not really found in his speaking voice, that's sort of weird really, the point is that it is rather off-putting when he is rapping in songs like "Two Moons" but it can be endearing in songs like "Growl".

I can't fault his flow though, it's tight and well structured (for an SM Lead Rapper). Where he gets bonus points over Tao is in his delivery, it's much clearer than Tao's and he emotes better than Chanyeol, but the emphasis is often placed in the wrong places, again taking the Growl rap into consideration. However his rap in "Wolf" shows that at the very least he can understand some places where to put the emphasis in his delivery. With some work he could actually overtake Chanyeol.

Tao comes next, his flow is quite good but can be choppy at places (especially in "Two Moons") and his delivery is definitely energetic with the right kind of vibe, he even emotes properly, but the main issue is the diction is awful in both Korean AND Chinese. I've seen comments on EXO-M videos asking if Tao was rapping in Japanese, and it's not a good look when you are a native speaker of a language foreign to your group and your diction is so bad that commenters have to ask if you're rapping in a completely different language altogether.

Before Tao does anything with his flow or his vocal tone (which isn't too bad actually, he just needs a bit more bass in his voice and a bit more gruffness because that would suit him perfectly) he needs to completely focus or re-work his delivery to the point where it is understandable, let alone adequate enough to suffice as a rapper of any group let alone one that is topping charts everywhere in Korea.

Sorry to be so harsh on him, but it really isn't acceptable at this point. :(

Kris is in last place (unless you consider Sehun or Xiumin rappers), his diction is his only saving grace and it is only slightly clearer than Tao's... Oh dear.

His flow is disjointed and horrible, at times I thought this was just "Stumbling Flow" but when it gets to the point that the rhythmic cadence is constantly thrown off and his breathing in between lines is as badly coordinated as it is, then lines are drawn and this no longer "Stumbling Flow" but just plain awful rapping technique.

His delivery lacks emotion and correct emphasis, the meaning is lost because sometimes he will emphasize a random word in the middle causing the rest of the sentence to be lost to the beat and his vocal tone is deep enough and husky enough to be considered good, if not for the fact that it sounds so plain (though that could purely be down to the fact that in his delivery he doesn't emote properly).

Kris needs a complete overhaul as a rapper and needs to start from square one OR he needs to find a new niche because doing what he's doing now is not working for him at all...

I never thought that Eminem was good I thought he was just a decent rapper 

is lose yourself a song where he can showcase his rapping skills?

"Rap God", "Survival", "Till I Collapse", "Fast Lane", "Talking To Myself" - Showcase SOME of his rapping ability.

As well as anything from "The Slim Shady LP", "Marshall Mathers LP" and his work with Slaughterhouse and Bad Meets Evil.

Lose Yourself was telling a story and even here, you can see that he isn't your average rapper. His delivery is perfectly emoted and you can actually hear the struggle in his voice as he's telling the story... The flow is meh in comparison to what Eminem can actually do, but it's still miles better than most mainstream artists and his vocal tone... Well, okay it isn't great but it gets the job done.

Check out the stuff in italics and then your conception of Eminem's skill might change... or maybe it won't, but you can't blame me for trying XD

Here is a Leessang song

and here is B-free

Leessang (Gary) first.

Now I've only ever heard of him from Running Man and "Shower Later", but because people were saying that it wasn't his best, I wanted to hear something else which is why I asked you for a point of reference.

His vocal tone is a bit on the high-pitched side, but not by a lot... However that seems to be the norm in Korean Hip-Hop so I'll let that slide.

But this guy is the perfect example of "Stumbling Flow" being done right, his rapping feels off-beat but it is perfectly on time... He's like the Korean Version of Arnob Basit (a British rapper based in Norwich) and the great thing about it is that he is consistent with it, that it feels off-beat and yet like an actual fluent flow at the same time, such a hard thing to do and it's such a niche concept that it would never fly in mainstream media, but at the same time I can appreciate how hard that is to do and how much of an art form it is. Absolutely beautiful.

But the thing I love about this the most is the delivery... It's so melancholic and bittersweet. you can feel the story passed the language barrier, he really knows what he's doing and the emphasis is placed in the right points but it's so subtle that you almost miss it. My one issue is that it feels a bit flat sometimes but that's just nitpicking.

Leessang is awesome! :)

Next up is B-Free.

I've never heard of this guy before, so it should be exciting! :)

The vocal tone is perfect. A bit nasal but otherwise it's actually perfect for this type of song.

His flow is very Hip-Hop, like the typical late-90's style rapper, I can tell he was influenced by Travie McCoy somewhere down the line, perhaps some Beastie Boys too. I love the consistency too, it just moves like a wave through each paragraph.

His delivery is great, he's opting for a laid-back style which works here but I think he's missing a bit of emotion here, just a smidge... but again that's just some nitpicking.

Otherwise both guys are really great, experts in their field! This is where idol rappers should be aiming for, because sometimes simplicity is better than going head-over-heels to try and prove your rapping skill.

At the end of the day, rap is simple. It's the work ethic that's difficult.

Thnx a lot. :smile:

Yeah, if by preference only, skill aside, GDTOP is the best rappers for me lol :happy: They fit each other well. As I said, TOP is the serious and strong rapper while GD is the playful and charismatic rapper. :chu:

And GD is the rapper I enjoy the most in the world.  :ahmagah: Maybe it has got to do more on his varied type of songs and his eagerness to mix hip-hop with different types of genres--rock, trot, pop, edm, etc. The other rappers I listen to b4 in the West, I only listen up to 1 or 2 songs and I immediately jump ship lol.

Anyway, you say you're a rapper too? Are you underground or are you trying out in some mainstream field? Make a shout-out to OH when you get famous, k? :happy:

Thanks again!! :smile:

Underground right now, I ain't even signed XD

And no worries, again I'm glad i could help :)

#60 jjongkeys

jjongkeys

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:58 PM

Is it possible for you to analyze Minho and Key's rapping skills? 
I've always been curious as to how they are as rappers. Lol. 

Up, Up and Away!