Photo

The Secret of Kpop Idol's Own Song

kpop k-pop

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Gakky

Gakky

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:30 AM (Edited by Gakky, 11 January 2017 - 09:47 AM.)

I just saw this interesting article and I want to share it with OH users.

The Secret of Kpop Idol's Own Song

There are many kpop idols who write their own songs and make big hits with them, while most of kpop fans might think, "Oh, my oppa is so good at composing songs." By the way, there is a secret about kpop idols' own songs.

When an idol says "I composed my song this time," you might think he took charge of making the whole thing. Well, but it's not true.

Music composition is a complicated work. If you want to compose a song, you need to study harmony and counterpoint first, while you should also learn how to play musical instruments and use computer programs. 

However, as a matter of fact, most of kpop idols, who say they write their own songs have no knowledge of harmony and counterpoint, and they don't know how to play musical instruments either. During composing their own songs, all they do is just take part in coming up with some melodies. That's why they can't write songs alone and their partners(professional composers) take part in making the idols' own songs as arrangers.(With a shame some of idols do little to make their own songs)

Oh, don't get wrong. I'm not saying all the kpop idols are terrible composers and their own songs are fakes. First, not all the kpop idols are ignorant about music theory. Some of idol composers have wide knowledge about music and they do play a leading role in making their own songs. Second, there are some idols who show an exceptional ability in coming up with melodies even though they don't have an exclusive knowledge of music. Even professional composers praise them, saying, "The young and fresh idols always come up with a brilliant idea."

Source

===================================================================================

No wonder Kpop idol can't create their song alone, you can write your own lyrics but can't arrangement and create  the music for the song alone without professional help.

TymeeWritingCredits3.png

TymeeWritingCredits4.png

947.jpg

#2 taniavy

taniavy

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:33 AM

tenor.gif

#3 125628

Trainee for 9 Years

• PipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:33 AM

i think the source might be confusing some parts of 'composing' to 'producing' but good point~

#4 Princess Yelena

Princess Yelena

皇后

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:34 AM

I agree with you. They usually take small part in co-writing and somehow media or they make it look like they did it,

#5 Want me

Want me

VISUAL OF SONE FANDOM

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:37 AM (Edited by Want me, 11 January 2017 - 09:37 AM.)

I'm not sure when the harmony come to idol's brain and when idols compose. 

Aren't idols being known as busy as hell. An average idol composing an whole song doesn't make sense. 

:imstupid:

#6 4minute-s

4minute-s

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:53 AM

Song writing is definitely difficult. But tbh it is somewhat easier nowadays. You have samples from all over the internet. All you need to do is to combine and to brush up some part of it. Computer had really made it easier, like they can set up the tune and melody for you. However there is no guarantee that your song would be good.

p/s: I kinda agree with the article point that there might be some idols who technically only involved in so little of the writing or composing process that its a shame that they are taking credit for it. 

#7 wiaraewiwiarae

wiaraewiwiarae

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,752 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:04 AM

Isn't it obvious?

Fans have been going "my oppar written these hit songs all by himself, the famous composer just arranged them" about a number of songs for ages. But if one has ears, one hears that these songs are basic af and the arrangement is the only thing going for them.

Covering lack of singing and dancing skills by the supposed songwriting skills sure is convenient.

#8 Mrs. Kang

Mrs. Kang

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:07 AM (Edited by Mrs. Kang IncleDiva, 11 January 2017 - 10:09 AM.)

Also sometime's they do compose and the company sends hundreds of producers to change things....

anyways, here's an idol who composed, played, sang and recorded his own demos, that's hard work that wasn't appreciated

Listen on Soundcloud.com

#9 supercalifragilistic

supercalifragilistic

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 06:53 PM (Edited by supercalifragilistic, 12 January 2017 - 07:09 PM.)

For Jonghyun, you get to hear and compare yourselves the difference between Jjong's own compositions where the unpolished versions are performed on his BN radio show, Jjong's compositions produced by his own team WeFreaky for Story OP 1 and Base (Jonghyun and his high school friends/band mates formed a team), and Jjong's compositions produced by WeFreaky + foreign producers for She Is.

Most of the time the final versions are registered for copyrights but sometimes he also sold his own song (the only one credited is Jonghyun) to other artists, sometimes he works in a team of two (singing duet) for special projects like Live Connections and the only ones credited in those songs are Jjong and his duet partners. Fans who followed him really get to see many facets of Jonghyun, music wise.

I'm happy Jonghyun have Blue Night as a medium to share his songs with the listeners, and hopefully, he will be involved in more interesting music projects like Live Connections in the future.

#10 Rohan Kishibe

Rohan Kishibe

Heaven's Door

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,164 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 06:55 PM

@vips

Up, Up and Away!