Photo

Shinkai's 'your name.' Tops S. Korean Box Office With US$8.1 Million

jmovie your name kimi no na wa

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 whitedove

whitedove

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:31 PM (Edited by whitedove, 09 January 2017 - 12:32 PM.)

yourname.jpg

Makoto Shinkai's your name. (Kimi no Na wa.) anime film ranked #1 at the South Korean box office over the weekend. From the film's Wednesday premiere to Sunday, the film has sold 1.18 million tickets for the equivalent of US$8.1 million. 837,556 of those tickets were sold during the weekend.

The film also ranked #1 on its opening day last Wednesday, having sold 130,000 tickets to earn 100 million yen (about US$859,000). The last time a Japanese film topped the box office in South Korea was when Studio Ghibli's Howl's Moving Castle film premiered in 2004. Shinkai's film opened on 555 screens in South Korea, which is a new record for a Japanese film. South Korea lifted its ban on Japanese films in 1998.

The film screened at the 18th Bucheon International Animation Film Festival in October, and won both the Special Distinction Prize and the Audience Prize for the feature film category. It is the first film of its category to win both awards.

The anime film rose from #7 to #3 at the box office in Japan in its 19th weekend. Shinkai's film has sold a total of about 17,350,000 tickets in Japan to earn about 22.4 billion yen (US$192.5 million).

your name. is now the fourth highest-grossing film of all time in Japan, the second highest-grossing Japanese film, and the second highest-grossing anime film. The only Japanese film to gross higher is Spirited Away (30.8 billion yen).

The film is slated to open in 92 countries and territories, including in the United States through Funimation in the first quarter of this year.

Shinkai's latest film had topped the Japanese charts for nine straight weekends since it opened on August 26, and in its 10th weekend dropped to #2 to Death Note Light up the NEW world, before regaining the top spot in its 11th weekend, and it stayed at the top spot in its 12th and 13th weekends.

Source: http://www.animenews...million/.110770

The movie was also #1 in China, Thailand and Taiwan.

#2 burenbayar

burenbayar

geranimo

• PipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:35 PM

would totally watch ... illegally  oc  :dave:

#3 PCWHY

PCWHY

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:35 PM (Edited by PCWHY, 09 January 2017 - 12:40 PM.)

It deserves all the success. It may not be a masterpiece or groundbreaking, but it is a beautiful and emotional movie.I've seen a lot of people say its "not that great" and I think it's because they were expecting something out of the world extraordinary. Just take it for what it is: a well crafted, visually appealing experience. I thoroughly enjoyed it, even though I needed more at the end (i need fanfictions for this help)

#4 MadMadamMims

MadMadamMims

【≽ܫ≼】

• Section Moderator
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:36 PM

i'll be honest, i just watched this to see what the hype was but it failed on alot of aspects. like this story is basically the lakehouse but without any connection between the main characters to justify the payoff. it just wasnt that good. 

#5 gummybear_dragon

gummybear_dragon

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,790 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:41 PM

i'll be honest, i just watched this to see what the hype was but it failed on alot of aspects. like this story is basically the lakehouse but without any connection between the main characters to justify the payoff. it just wasnt that good. 

Same. Watching it was so underwhelming. It was pretty slow sometimes, like at the end when he tried to save the town or atleast Mitsuha. I didn't understand most of it, either. 

#6 trang95

trang95

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:43 PM

It will prob surpass Spirited Away soon, imao.

I hope my college will offer to show this movie in the theaters. While I am not particularly fond of the story or characters, I'd like to see how visually appealing this movie looks on the big screen.

#7 trang95

trang95

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:45 PM

Same. Watching it was so underwhelming. It was pretty slow sometimes, like at the end when he tried to save the town or atleast Mitsuha. I didn't understand most of it, either. 

There were just too many plotholes. You either are the kind of person that just doesn't care about it, or you're gonna be someone that is totally bugged about it- I belonged to the latter category.

Characters were also pretty underdeveloped and stampled with stereotypical behavior. I rolled my eyes at the forced love coming out of no where.

#8 kpopstan

kpopstan

Long-term Trainee

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:48 PM

I want to see this so badly, but where.. >.<

#9 Hemlock

Hemlock

Xia♥Lock

• PipPipPipPip
  • 8,199 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 01:23 PM

I wonder if it's going to make the final cut for the Oscars nomination list. 

#10 KingofKpop

KingofKpop

Royalty

• PipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 01:28 PM

Don't wanna spoil anything but I loved the ending :)

Up, Up and Away!