• 4,402 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 05:50 PM

#2 DocumentaLy

DocumentaLy

Bitchy but accurate

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,683 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:09 AM

I see what you mean by being like Frederic now.

#3 Ryusenkai

Ryusenkai

Venus Adept

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,402 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:26 AM

I see what you mean by being like Frederic now.

There is a kind of sonic similarity to this song.  It's not totally the same, but you can definitely see the resemblance.

#4 DocumentaLy

DocumentaLy

Bitchy but accurate

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,683 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:28 AM

There is a kind of sonic similarity to this song.  It's not totally the same, but you can definitely see the resemblance.

It's no "SUN" clone, but yeah...

#5 correcaminos20

correcaminos20

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:16 PM

Well, it is a "dance rock" song, at least that's what I call the genre Kana-boon, Frederic, Alexandros, etc. do. Especially the guitar part is what leaves no doubts.
Anyway imo variety is one of the strenghts of Akai Koen that makes their albums a lot more entertaining as a whole. They have that idol quality to them (variety), which I only hope more bands had.

#6 Ryusenkai

Ryusenkai

Venus Adept

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,402 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:25 PM

Well, it is a "dance rock" song, at least that's what I call the genre Kana-boon, Frederic, Alexandros, etc. do. Especially the guitar part is what leaves no doubts.
Anyway imo variety is one of the strenghts of Akai Koen that makes their albums a lot more entertaining as a whole. They have that idol quality to them (variety), which I only hope more bands had.

Oh, I don't disagree with that, but the similarity I was referring to has a lot to do with the main guitar riff in this song, which does sound particularly reminiscent of Frederic, even within the larger umbrella style.  Not the same, but enough that I can't help but notice.  Though I do personally think of the genre as 'groove rock', since I feel like dance rock requires a more full on embracing of electronics like Sakanaction or FOLKS does, but that's quite literally semantics.  :lol:   We know what we're talking about here, I feel.

And aye, that's part of the reason I do really appreciate Akai Koen, since they're willing to jump around and experiment with different things and see how they work out.  It makes their albums a hell of a lot more interesting than they would be otherwise.

#7 correcaminos20

correcaminos20

Debutee

• PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 05:04 PM

Oh, I don't disagree with that, but the similarity I was referring to has a lot to do with the main guitar riff in this song, which does sound particularly reminiscent of Frederic, even within the larger umbrella style.  Not the same, but enough that I can't help but notice.  Though I do personally think of the genre as 'groove rock', since I feel like dance rock requires a more full on embracing of electronics like Sakanaction or FOLKS does, but that's quite literally semantics.  :lol:   We know what we're talking about here, I feel.

Yes, those guitar riffs are the defining trait of the genre imo, 

I would call groove-rock bands like Mr. Big (their songs "Alive and Kickin'" and "Temperamental" being examples). This japanese bands on the other hand remind me more of brit-rock bands like Franz Ferdinand which are usually categorized as dance-rock. 
And I just realized I wouldn't call Sakanaction a rock band. They are electronic/dance/pop for me.

Well this is why I like calling everything J-Pop. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PV

Up, Up and Away!