Forums Rules Staff Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
Sign in to follow this  
Nekci

The Official Skincare Thread (Read the OP)

You can always try stridex :D

If you're really set on physical exfoliation, try to fine one with round beads!

http://beatthemicrobead.org/en/in-short

Microbeads are terrible for the environment, and are not necessary at all for exfoliation.

Chemical exfoliation is better for most people. Physical exfoliation shouldn't be done more than once a week, but if you prefer it, you can make your own with sugar and honey.

The St. Ives is bad for you because it causes micro-tears in the skin, which bacteria can get into.

I have never tried chemical exfoiliation before so I don't really know where to start. What would you recommend?

I have never tried chemical exfoiliation before so I don't really know where to start. What would you recommend?

The user up above recommended Stridex pads (red box), which are cheap and work well. Plus you can cut the pads in half and make them last even longer. You can also work your way up to using them every night if you feel like your skin needs it. It would go:

Cleanser -> Stridex -> Wait for it to dry -> Whatever other stuff you like to use. Try to let it dry for at least 20 minutes if you can because moisturizers and things like that will make it work less.

Edited by laxjiyongfany

I don't have acne so I can't help with that
But I can help with dry skin. I have sensitive skin so natural methods like using sugar, oatmeal, oatmeal really irritates my skin, peppermint irritates me too. I actually have a mask that have peppermint properties and oatmeal and it hurts ;_; but others really liked it, so it's just my problem--sensitive skin.

Hada Labos light lotion/toner is really good(has hyaluronic acid, makes skin "bouncy").

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-BTGEKxF7zk0/UYyayJAVfDI/AAAAAAAADOI/mLAu092ZL8Q/s200/free-Hada-Labo-SHA-Hydrating-Lotion.jpg

As for moisturizer, I really like The Face Shop Eco-therapy moisturizer. I have sensitive skin and it's the one product I have that doesn't irritate the sensitive parts, but the point is that is retains moisture. When it dries, it doesn't feel like it's all gone or that it's there, greasy eughh (side note: I heard Ultra Repair Cream was good, and got good reviews but I hate it, would not put on face, it leaves a layer of something annoying, a little bit pasty)

http://www.koreaseller.com/001_Cosmetics/004_The_Face_Shop_theFaceShop/Arsaint%20Ecotherapy/moisturizer/the-face-shop-arsainte-eco-therapy-extreme-moisture-daily-moisturizer-item.jpg

I don't have acne so I can't help with that
But I can help with dry skin. I have sensitive skin so natural methods like using sugar, oatmeal, oatmeal really irritates my skin, peppermint irritates me too. I actually have a mask that have peppermint properties and oatmeal and it hurts ;_; but others really liked it, so it's just my problem--sensitive skin.

Hada Labos light lotion/toner is really good(has hyaluronic acid, makes skin "bouncy").

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-BTGEKxF7zk0/UYyayJAVfDI/AAAAAAAADOI/mLAu092ZL8Q/s200/free-Hada-Labo-SHA-Hydrating-Lotion.jpg

As for moisturizer, I really like The Face Shop Eco-therapy moisturizer. I have sensitive skin and it's the one product I have that doesn't irritate the sensitive parts, but the point is that is retains moisture. When it dries, it doesn't feel like it's all gone or that it's there, greasy eughh (side note: I heard Ultra Repair Cream was good, and got good reviews but I hate it, would not put on face, it leaves a layer of something annoying, a little bit pasty)

http://www.koreaseller.com/001_Cosmetics/004_The_Face_Shop_theFaceShop/Arsaint%20Ecotherapy/moisturizer/the-face-shop-arsainte-eco-therapy-extreme-moisture-daily-moisturizer-item.jpg

Welp, you're not supposed to be using sugar on your face which is probably why it irritated your skin. 

Welp, you're not supposed to be using sugar on your face which is probably why it irritated your skin.

There's all these natural mask methods from youtubers suggesting to use it, for hydrating and exfoliating

There's all these natural mask methods from youtubers suggesting to use it, for hydrating and exfoliating

Yeah, there are a lot, but an esthetician will tell you not to use sugar. And I know that sugar is used in exfoliation a lot, but that doesn't mean it's good.

http://youtu.be/4lrZqiqoZGA

• Like 2

While I agree that most skincare youtubers often have no idea what they're talking about, sugar can be used as long as it's mixed with something melts it a bit so that the texture changes and you're very gentle (which is why I recommended it with honey earlier). Obviously anything like that needs to be done very gently so it's not abrasive.

In fact, in that video, I don't see her go into just why it's bad to use sugar on your face, only not to use it with lemon. She mentions that all that stuff in general isn't very efficient, and I think she's just making the argument that chemical exfoliation tends to be better.

Edited by laxjiyongfany

While I agree that most skincare youtubers often have no idea what they're talking about, sugar can be used as long as it's mixed with something melts it a bit so that the texture changes and you're very gentle (which is why I recommended it with honey earlier). Obviously anything like that needs to be done very gently so it's not abrasive.

In fact, in that video, I don't see her go into just why it's bad to use sugar on your face, only not to use it with lemon. She mentions that all that stuff in general isn't very efficient, and I think she's just making the argument that chemical exfoliation tends to be better.

Yes, she did. It's a crystalline substance that you're putting on your skin which creates tiny lacerations. I'm okay with the honey, but not the sugar. 

How do I get rid of post acne marks?

No lemons, plz.

Have any of you ever used the St.Ives exfoliating pads? Do they work?

The lactic acid ones? They're a pretty cost effective option. Just note that they do make you more sensitive to the sun.

The lactic acid ones? They're a pretty cost effective option. Just note that they do make you more sensitive to the sun.

Thanks. Ughh... I can't find them in store anywhere, I guess I'll have to order it. 

Thanks. Ughh... I can't find them in store anywhere, I guess I'll have to order it. 

What did you want them for? There's also the Stridex pads, but they're a BHA and the St. Ives are AHA.

What did you want them for? There's also the Stridex pads, but they're a BHA and the St. Ives are AHA.

Oops, I didn't mean for there to be so many posts.

Edited by albino_squirrel

I want to use them for exfoliation. I remembered using the stridex pads before, and it really irritated my skin. Then I searched around online for an alternative and the St.Ives exfoliation pads were highly recommended so I thought I might give it a try since their products usually doesn't make my skin irritated.

I want to use them for exfoliation. I remembered using the stridex pads before, and it really irritated my skin. Then I searched around online for an alternative and the St.Ives exfoliation pads were highly recommended so I thought I might give it a try since their products usually doesn't make my skin irritated.

Just straight up normal exfoliation? Then yeah, go ahead and order the St. Ives. They use a gentle acid. If you were exfoliating to get rid of blackheads or something I would have suggested the Stridex instead since they're easier to get.

Just straight up normal exfoliation? Then yeah, go ahead and order the St. Ives. They use a gentle acid. If you were exfoliating to get rid of blackheads or something I would have suggested the Stridex instead since they're easier to get.

Yeah, just for normal exfoliation. The clay masks that I use always take care of my blackheads.

I am not sure how snail creams work but I think it is just that the slime from snails are very good for dry skin, acne, and wrinkles. If you try a snail cream for your blemishes try this one:
I have never used it before but it is very popular in the international market and it is super cheap as well.
41FL%2BxB%2BIDL._SY300_.jpg

I am trying this essence out and so far I like it, when I make a full review on it on my blog, I will give you the full details on it~
beauty5.jpg?w=870&h=578
All of my night creams are for oily skin but I heard good reviews on the Etude House Collagen line which is good for dry skin and Shinee's Onew also uses it~

The Face Shop has nice face masks which can help moisturize your skin as well as help with your acne.
And LORD YOU DO LIVE IN HEAVEN........all those stores :la:

Can you rec me some korean products for black heads and dark spots? My skin is dry and dull too. Thank you