OneHallyu

The Official Skincare Thread (Read the OP)

Any suggestions for facial sunscreen that won't leave a white cast? I just had to throw away a brand new tube of Neutrogena sunscreen because it made me look like Casper's cousin.

Preferably something I can pick up at Target/Ulta/other or easily order online and good for all skin types.

Don't have Target / Ulta in my country so I couldn't check but try Skin Aqua's UV Moisture Gel. The texture is very light and it doesn't leave white cast on me.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It seems like there are a lot of threads being dedicated to getting rid of acne and people seeking advice, so I decided to make a thread that probably won't catch on about getting clear skin where peo

they all suck, best advice I'd ever got was just use homemade treatments. 

The thing that you guys need to figure out first is whether you have black heads or Sebaceous Filaments.   I am pretty sure that you guys have the latter which can be identified as sebaceous filamen

Any suggestions for facial sunscreen that won't leave a white cast? I just had to throw away a brand new tube of Neutrogena sunscreen because it made me look like Casper's cousin.

Preferably something I can pick up at Target/Ulta/other or easily order online and good for all skin types.

Neutrogena ultra sheer has never failed me before. Maybe the one you bought was an old stock? 

Edited by jendukiko

Neutrogena ultra sheer has never failed me before. Maybe the one you bought was an old stock? 

Could have been. All I know is it was difficult to rub onto the skin and afterwards I had a serious white cast going on. I actually had to wipe my face off with a towel the last time because it looked that bad.

I'll try that Skin Aqua stuff as mentioned above. I heard good things about it.

Could have been. All I know is it was difficult to rub onto the skin and afterwards I had a serious white cast going on. I actually had to wipe my face off with a towel the last time because it looked that bad.

I'll try that Skin Aqua stuff as mentioned above. I heard good things about it.

The moisture milk version has higher spf (50) and is more watery in texture compared to the gel version (spf 30), I do have both and use them alternately depending on my activities for the day.

The moisture milk version has higher spf (50) and is more watery in texture compared to the gel version (spf 30), I do have both and use them alternately depending on my activities for the day.

I haven't tried the moisture milk version because I thought it was going to be thicker but that sounds good, will check it out. Nice timing too since I'm running out of my spf haha

Okay two questions:

• Is there any way that a broke ass bitch can find a good moisturizer without having to buy multiple moisturizers to do trial and error?
  • Does anyone have experience with hormonal acne (aka acne on your period) and might know of some solutions to help reduce it?  My skin has really been all over the place with hormonal acne every month for over a year now and it feels like I never get a break...just when my skin calms down, my period comes back and in comes the new pests all over my face.  
I don't even know what skin type I have at this point since I don't use a moisturizer or take proper care of my skin as I used to--my skin has definitely changed since I ran out of my old Korean skincare products.  I think all I own at this point is cleanser, face masks, stridex pads, and salicylic acid spot treatment.

Any help is greatly appreciated!! :cry:

That post is a week old but well xD if I have something natural and cheap to recommend you I'll say honey, pure honey

I have an oily skin and few months ago my skin was quite in a bad state. Sometimes too dry, sometimes too oily with huge pores and my light hormonal acne woulnt go away

I stopped my gentle cleanser, moisturizing cream and masks and switched completely my routine.

I have been using honey as both a cleanser and mask, my skin has gotten way better and my scars fade away quickly

There's different types of honey, some with little crystallization you can use to scrub and others are really liquid, perfect for regular/daily use and masks

Honey is antibacterial, moisturizing, hydrating, antiseptic etc and unless you are allergic to it (which is rare) it won't cause you any problem

Don't abandon you're current routine completely but give it a try, I honestly loved the results!

And from time to time I would wipe my face with fresh lemon juice, let it sit 2 min and then rinse it off (to try only if you have a strong or oily skin + only at night never during the day, it would have a photosensitizer effect)

• Like 1

That post is a week old but well xD if I have something natural and cheap to recommend you I'll say honey, pure honey

I have an oily skin and few months ago my skin was quite in a bad state. Sometimes too dry, sometimes too oily with huge pores and my light hormonal acne woulnt go away

I stopped my gentle cleanser, moisturizing cream and masks and switched completely my routine.

I have been using honey as both a cleanser and mask, my skin has gotten way better and my scars fade away quickly

There's different types of honey, some with little crystallization you can use to scrub and others are really liquid, perfect for regular/daily use and masks

Honey is antibacterial, moisturizing, hydrating, antiseptic etc and unless you are allergic to it (which is rare) it won't cause you any problem

Don't abandon you're current routine completely but give it a try, I honestly loved the results!

And from time to time I would wipe my face with fresh lemon juice, let it sit 2 min and then rinse it off (to try only if you have a strong or oily skin + only at night never during the day, it would have a photosensitizer effect)

Awesome, thanks so much for this.  Will def be screenshotting for later!

• 2 months later...

Any recommendations on skincare for redness? I don't know if it is rosacea or hormone related, but my cheeks are always red. I have a cleanser that I really like, so maybe moisturizer/serums/anything else someone can recommend?

ooooh this is where i shine, i have issues with this too. may i ask what's your general skin texture? and do you have issues with acne too?

first off, i really recommend you speak with a dermo - if it IS rosacea you're gonna want to start treating that properly with rosacea specific creams combined with a regimen that prevents it from getting worse. 

there are typically 5 things that trigger redness/rosacea and hormones is actually one of them, the others being alcohol, diet, stress (such as lack of sleep) and very importantly, sun exposure. 

ALWAYS finish your daily routine with a good sunscreen regardless of weather conditions, and try not to sit directly in strong sunlight regardless. depending on your pore quality and skin texture (dry/combination etc), certain sunscreens will work better than others for you. a few of my favs:

p-4723-pcaskin_weightless_protection_spf1881007_1.jpg

these contain zinc oxide which is a natural sunblocker but if that dries you out too much, these are also good:

11611-sun-soul-extra-cream-spf50-60-ml.j

lrpantheliosultrayeuxspf30-b_1.png

remember that red skin is also usually parched skin. never ever skip on moisturising! 

use rosacea creams coupled with maybe a highly hydrating products like:

677.jpg16753.jpg41048.jpg

also and this is very important, although they're great for momentary retraction of the superficial blood vessels, topical creams with cortison thins out your skin and makes it extra vulnerable so they make the issues worse with time. and ALSO avoid scrubs and other grainy exfoliators that aren't chemical - they roughen and irritate the skin even more.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, I’m looking to try some Japanese skincare products and I want to consult someone who has an experience on this particular branch of asian skincare.

I have oily and acne prone skin. My face breaks out each time before I get my period. I currently have no active acne right now but I’m really struggling with pigmentation. I have small but adundant dark brown spots along the side of my face, I have not tried any products that contain whitening agents like Vitamin C, Rosehip Oil or Niacinamide except Alpha Arbutin (The Ordinary) and so far it has done nothing for me.

Hi, I’m looking to try some Japanese skincare products and I want to consult someone who has an experience on this particular branch of asian skincare.

I have oily and acne prone skin. My face breaks out each time before I get my period. I currently have no active acne right now but I’m really struggling with pigmentation. I have small but adundant dark brown spots along the side of my face, I have not tried any products that contain whitening agents like Vitamin C, Rosehip Oil or Niacinamide except Alpha Arbutin (The Ordinary) and so far it has done nothing for me.

hi there! can i just ask before i start bombarding you with product tips, are you in japan or have ability to buy this stuff in japan/from japanese online stores? also, is your skin sensitive? what are your undertones, pink, olive, etc? do you also have issues with your pores (quality, size etc)?

hi there! can i just ask before i start bombarding you with product tips, are you in japan or have ability to buy this stuff in japan/from japanese online stores? also, is your skin sensitive? what are your undertones, pink, olive, etc? do you also have issues with your pores (quality, size etc)?

I’m glad you responded! There is an online shop here similar to Rakuten that ships directly from Japan and they supply brands that attune to my budget like Kose, Minon, Shiseido, Fancl, Hada Labo and the likes.

However they all have half-ass translated descriptions and barely lists all their ingredients which is detrimental because I do have sensitive skin so I need to watch out for products that are heavily scented that might contain alcohol or anything extremely drying.

As for my skin tone, I have a medium asian complexion with warm undertones.

My pores are on good quality on most parts of my face except my forehead. It also has small bumps across it. Which I think is millia?

I have listed other relevant info if it helps in spoiler

I’m 22 years old

My current routine:

Innisfree bija blemish foaming cleanser

Thayers witch hazel toner

Neutrogena Sheer Zinc sunscreen spf 50+

Occasionally I use Nature Republic’s aloe vera gel as a moisturizer (I reckon I don’t need it) and Innisfree’s Clay Mousse Mask once a week.

I don’t wear makeup daily.

Edited by tousle
  • 2 weeks later...

I’m glad you responded! There is an online shop here similar to Rakuten that ships directly from Japan and they supply brands that attune to my budget like Kose, Minon, Shiseido, Fancl, Hada Labo and the likes.

However they all have half-ass translated descriptions and barely lists all their ingredients which is detrimental because I do have sensitive skin so I need to watch out for products that are heavily scented that might contain alcohol or anything extremely drying.

As for my skin tone, I have a medium asian complexion with warm undertones.

My pores are on good quality on most parts of my face except my forehead. It also has small bumps across it. Which I think is millia?

I have listed other relevant info if it helps in spoiler

I’m 22 years old

My current routine:

Innisfree bija blemish foaming cleanser

Thayers witch hazel toner

Neutrogena Sheer Zinc sunscreen spf 50+

Occasionally I use Nature Republic’s aloe vera gel as a moisturizer (I reckon I don’t need it) and Innisfree’s Clay Mousse Mask once a week.

I don’t wear makeup daily.

oK! HUGE APOLOGIES FOR THE LATE REPLY! rlytearpls.png

but i hope you still have use for my advice. 

• double cleanse and gentle exfoliators for your forehead. 
  • a question, is there a specific part of your current routine that works, doesn't work?
  • have you consulted/considered consulting a cert. dermatologist? 

1. activated charcoal based cleanser, such as charcoal soaps. i use morihata's but there's a ton of others out there. 

2. oil cleanser. i use the one from three (or kahina when i travel, but that's not a japanese brand unlike the former), but i know DHC is supposed to be really good and it's way cheaper and easier to get hold of. 

3. hada labo's shirojyun albutin lotion - the holy grail of jp lotion secrets. i don't use it on the regular but i hear nothing but great things from those who do. A LITTLE GOES A LONG WAY BTW!

4. make your own sheet masks - get those compressed face lotion masks from muji in a big pack and soak them in lotion or toner every other day, and put on for 5 min or so. it's so practical. 

5. lululun face masks, called rich moisture i think - they're SO GOOD for sensitive skin!

6. eaude muge medicinal lotion is GREAT for acne and sensitive plagued skin.

7. cure natural aqua gel for exfoliating, it's good but you should know it's pretty dehydrating so remember to restore moisture afterwards!!! 

i really hope this helps... trust me i know the struggle. but i do love this stuff so feel free to ask me anything! lovestruck.png  

• Like 2

oK! HUGE APOLOGIES FOR THE LATE REPLY! :rlytearpls:

but i hope you still have use for my advice.

• double cleanse and gentle exfoliators for your forehead.
  • a question, is there a specific part of your current routine that works, doesn't work?
  • have you consulted/considered consulting a cert. dermatologist?
1. activated charcoal based cleanser, such as charcoal soaps. i use morihata's but there's a ton of others out there.

2. oil cleanser. i use the one from three (or kahina when i travel, but that's not a japanese brand unlike the former), but i know DHC is supposed to be really good and it's way cheaper and easier to get hold of.

3. hada labo's shirojyun albutin lotion - the holy grail of jp lotion secrets. i don't use it on the regular but i hear nothing but great things from those who do. A LITTLE GOES A LONG WAY BTW!

4. make your own sheet masks - get those compressed face lotion masks from muji in a big pack and soak them in lotion or toner every other day, and put on for 5 min or so. it's so practical.

5. lululun face masks, called rich moisture i think - they're SO GOOD for sensitive skin!

6. eaude muge medicinal lotion is GREAT for acne and sensitive plagued skin.

7. cure natural aqua gel for exfoliating, it's good but you should know it's pretty dehydrating so remember to restore moisture afterwards!!!

i really hope this helps... trust me i know the struggle. but i do love this stuff so feel free to ask me anything! :lovestruck:

Thank you for all the recommendations :lovestruck:

All of the products you listed are available although I have to save up abit for the DHC Cleansing Oil and Cure Natural Aqua Gel.

My brother has Garnier for mens charcoal foam cleanser in hand, I’ll try my luck with that and the Hada Labo and Odemuge first.

I suppose I’ll apply the milk lotion all over after toning and the medical lotion as a spot treatment. I’m assuming that’s how it works.

I don’t think my current routine does any wonders for me. The witch hazel toner and Innisfree mask helps abit with reducing oil secretion and blackheads, while the bija cleanser doesn’t deliver any benefits for me although it’s specifically for blemishes.

I decided to stick with it because it’s the only foaming cleanser that doesn’t dry out and irritate my skin.

I’m excited to try oil cleansing ~

Edited by tousle

Thank you for all the recommendations :lovestruck:

All of the products you listed are available although I have to save up abit for the DHC Cleansing Oil and Cure Natural Aqua Gel.

My brother has Garnier for mens charcoal foam cleanser in hand, I’ll try my luck with that and the Hada Labo and Odemuge first.

I suppose I’ll apply the milk lotion all over after toning and the medical lotion as a spot treatment. I’m assuming that’s how it works.

I don’t think my current routine does any wonders for me. The witch hazel toner and Innisfree mask helps abit with reducing oil secretion and blackheads, while the bija cleanser doesn’t deliver any benefits for me although it’s specifically for blemishes.

I decided to stick with it because it’s the only foaming cleanser that doesn’t dry out and irritate my skin.

I’m excited to try oil cleansing ~

Best of luck to you!!!~~~ ♡

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

MANNNNNN i have to gush over kahina here too. seriously the stuff's changed my skin. i don't think it's a miracle range by any means, i just can't believe using oil based products have made such a huge difference! i grew up with my aunts and my mom trusting in oils and sake based toners, and as i get older i can tell it really makes a difference making sure you clean your skin properly... oil cleansers really does that. rlytearpls.png

Does anyone here know any good moisturizers/creams with ceramide?

Ever since I've been using facial masks containing ceramide, my acne cleared and my face has been looking so much brighter and clean, but they're quite pricey so i was thinking of switching to a moisturizer instead...

If anyone replies... thank you!

Hi! I've always had oily skin but lately it's become very dry and sensitive (i'm guessing bc of anti-acne products drying my skin).. Thing is, if I don't use moisturizer my skin feels dehydrated and itchy but if I do I get pimples on certain areas of my face withing 1 day or two. I've tried 2-3 different moisturizers but still.. warstarplz.png  Any idea what I should do or what product I should use?

Does anyone here know any good moisturizers/creams with ceramide?

Ever since I've been using facial masks containing ceramide, my acne cleared and my face has been looking so much brighter and clean, but they're quite pricey so i was thinking of switching to a moisturizer instead...

If anyone replies... thank you!

i don't use it personally, but i've heard good things about the HOLIKA HOLIKA GOOD CERA series. maybe check them out? 

Hi! I've always had oily skin but lately it's become very dry and sensitive (i'm guessing bc of anti-acne products drying my skin).. Thing is, if I don't use moisturizer my skin feels dehydrated and itchy but if I do I get pimples on certain areas of my face withing 1 day or two. I've tried 2-3 different moisturizers but still.. warstarplz.png  Any idea what I should do or what product I should use?

are you able to consult w a dermatologist? 

otherwise it sounds like a deep tissue moisture deficiency problem. look for products containing natural calming ingredients like aloe vera or oats, and maybe try something like paula's choice products, depending on your age you could benefit from maybe PAULA'S CHOICE CLINICAL CERAMIDE-ENRICHED FIRMING MOISTURIZER. 

maybe try a serum too instead of just a moisturiser?  

are you able to consult w a dermatologist? 

otherwise it sounds like a deep tissue moisture deficiency problem. look for products containing natural calming ingredients like aloe vera or oats, and maybe try something like paula's choice products, depending on your age you could benefit from maybe PAULA'S CHOICE CLINICAL CERAMIDE-ENRICHED FIRMING MOISTURIZER. 

maybe try a serum too instead of just a moisturiser?  

unfortunately I don't think I can afford seeing a dermatologist rn

I'll look for products with natural calming ingredients, this sounds like a good idea; and I'll look for good serums with reasonable prices, and hopefully find one

If the problem continues I'll have to find a way to see a dermatologist :/ Thank you so much!

• 2 weeks later...

Someone can help me?

I have 3 problems and a few question meowfaceplz.png

First of all.. I wash my face with foam, then apply toner, then serum, then cream... but how many mins should i wait before applying the other? And what about sheet masks? What should i do before and after applying a sheet mask? Should I wash my face again and after applying, should i apply a cream or just wash again?

2nd question... Right now I have 3 probs. 2 of them:

1.Pores

2.Skin colour

Normally my skin is white but last year I tanned a lot. Now my skin colour is a bit weird, kinda yellowish/tanned. I want to have my old skin colour back but I have pore problem at the same time.

So, I have products for both probs but how should I use them? As I know, it wont work if I apply both products in the same day, right?

Thanks in advance! xx

• 3 weeks later...

i've plugged this group a while ago but in case you haven't seen it and are interested to join, we have an OH makeup, skincare and overall beauty related group chat on line! reply me if you'd like to join and i'll send you an invite.

Edited by sublime