OneHallyu

The Official Skincare Thread (Read the OP)

yea i like the heimish balm

glossier is a lil bit expensive tho TT are there any other ones that you recommend?

I only use jojoba oil for now as moisturizer since im trying to really clear up my skin and i have freaking sensitive skin that breaks out to everything.

what do you think about the COSRX - Low pH Good Morning Gel Cleanser

I use the Innisfree Bija Trouble Cleansing Gel. Idk if I've recommend it for sensitive skin though... despite my eczema, I surprisingly don't have super sensitive skin lol. I've head micellar water can be a good cleanser for sensitive skin, but not the Garnier one. Apparently a lot of people have broken out from that one. You could try the one from Simple.

I've heard mixed things about the COSRX cleanser. Some people say it's too drying, others say it's good. I just stay away from foam cleansers as a general rule (despite it being a gel, it does actually foam from what I've heard).

Hmm, your skin may be dehydrated, which could be why you're simultaneously dry and breaking out. In which case you'd need some watery hydrating layers to your skincare (which you'd lock in with your oil on top). Maybe try a gentle, hydrating toner to start? Toners with aloe may be good for you. As long as they're hydrating and NOT astringent. 

Do you know what ingredients you're sensitive to? Have you noticed any commonalities between products that broke you out?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It seems like there are a lot of threads being dedicated to getting rid of acne and people seeking advice, so I decided to make a thread that probably won't catch on about getting clear skin where peo

they all suck, best advice I'd ever got was just use homemade treatments. 

The thing that you guys need to figure out first is whether you have black heads or Sebaceous Filaments.   I am pretty sure that you guys have the latter which can be identified as sebaceous filamen

I use the Innisfree Bija Trouble Cleansing Gel. Idk if I've recommend it for sensitive skin though... despite my eczema, I surprisingly don't have super sensitive skin lol. I've head micellar water can be a good cleanser for sensitive skin, but not the Garnier one. Apparently a lot of people have broken out from that one. You could try the one from Simple.

I've heard mixed things about the COSRX cleanser. Some people say it's too drying, others say it's good. I just stay away from foam cleansers as a general rule (despite it being a gel, it does actually foam from what I've heard).

Hmm, your skin may be dehydrated, which could be why you're simultaneously dry and breaking out. In which case you'd need some watery hydrating layers to your skincare (which you'd lock in with your oil on top). Maybe try a gentle, hydrating toner to start? Toners with aloe may be good for you. As long as they're hydrating and NOT astringent. 

Do you know what ingredients you're sensitive to? Have you noticed any commonalities between products that broke you out?

ive noticed anything with rose breaks me out

which sucks because rose is my favorite flower and i love the scent of anything rose lolol

coconut too omfg and im obsessed with coconut ahhhh

like ive tried rose oil and rose toner and those breaks me out so bad

and i used aloe vera gel as my toner and it works pretty good maybe ill try it again (it's still a bit drying tho idky??)

I just won't use it with a cotton pad tho because that really dries out my skin (over exfoliates maybe?)

I guess I'll just try the Glossier, thank you so much for all the infos theyre really helpful :D

btw since it's buy 2 things get free shipping on the glossier site, do you have any other glossier product you want to recommend? :]

Edited by IceCakez

ive noticed anything with rose breaks me out

which sucks because rose is my favorite flower and i love the scent of anything rose lolol

coconut too omfg and im obsessed with coconut ahhhh

like ive tried rose oil and rose toner and those breaks me out so bad

and i used aloe vera gel as my toner and it works pretty good maybe ill try it again (it's still a bit drying tho idky??)

I just won't use it with a cotton pad tho because that really dries out my skin (over exfoliates maybe?)

I guess I'll just try the Glossier, thank you so much for all the infos theyre really helpful :D

btw since it's buy 2 things get free shipping on the glossier site, do you have any other glossier product you want to recommend? :]

Oh no warstarplz.png  I love rose!!! Rose sheet masks are some of my fave!! But coconut makes sense, it's highly comedogenic (meaning it clogs pores).

I wouldn't use aloe vera gel as a toner, it's too thick while toners should be watery. There are watery toners with aloe in them, like the Benton Aloe BHA toner. Which aloe gel did you use btw? Some of them, like the Nature Republic one, have alcohol in them, and that's probs what dried you out. I mostly use aloe gel as a soothing step when I have redness or tender cystic zits. Also, yeah, ditch the cotton pad. I prefer to lightly apply toner with my hands and then gently pat it in.

Tbh, I'm not super familiar with the Glossier brand, I just know the gel cleanser is a popular rec for dry skinned people. And no problem, always happy to help! If you want more info or recs from people who know more than me, I'd say check out the asianbeauty subreddit, it's where I learned everything and it has a daily help thread for people looking for recs!

Hello all.

So I normally just get small pimples every now and then. However I woke up yesterday with a penny sized cyst acne on the side of my face. It's huge, painful and red af. Now I was an idiot and tried to pop it because I got so embarrassed walking around work with this oversized menace on my face and I just wanted it gone.

I have no idea what to put on this thing to help it go away. I tried looking it up online but most results I got were on the lines of people arguing whether this was good for your skin or not

"Use x this works"

"No don't use X it's harmful and bad for your skin use y instead"

"I've used x and I've never had any issues"

As I said tho I dk what to put on it. From what I've read it's probably going to be here a while I'd at least like it to not be so bright red. Hopefully it won't scar but I've never had an acne spot this huge before in my life.

Any advice at all would be great appreciated

Hello all.

So I normally just get small pimples every now and then. However I woke up yesterday with a penny sized cyst acne on the side of my face. It's huge, painful and red af. Now I was an idiot and tried to pop it because I got so embarrassed walking around work with this oversized menace on my face and I just wanted it gone.

I have no idea what to put on this thing to help it go away. I tried looking it up online but most results I got were on the lines of people arguing whether this was good for your skin or not

"Use x this works"

As I said tho I dk what to put on it. From what I've read it's probably going to be here a while I'd at least like it to not be so bright red. Hopefully it won't scar but I've never had an acne spot this huge before in my life.

Sorry, I don't have any advice for a post popped pimple ohdearplz.png  My dermatologist injected a steroid (I think, it was so long ago) into the huge cystic acne pimples I had one time to help get rid of them. She told I could come in whenever i needed to do it again. If you have a dermatologist, maybe you can try asking them.

Sorry, I don't have any advice for a post popped pimple :._.:  My dermatologist injected a steroid (I think, it was so long ago) into the huge cystic acne pimples I had one time to help get rid of them. She told I could come in whenever i needed to do it again. If you have a dermatologist, maybe you can try asking them.

With my job I just don't have time to go to appointments right now. They're actually barely letting anyone have time off work right now because we're very far behind. Which sucks because I actually have other appointments that I need to schedule. I do appreciate the advice though!

The good news I though it seems to be getting smaller each day, so hopefully it won't take too much longer to heal.

Has anyone  used african black soap? I bought some and been using it for a couple days and I noticed my skin has been breaking out more. I have oily skin and pimples mainly on my forehead. Also some other products I've seen people recommend is witch hazel and rose water and I want to know if it's effective? 

Edited by sevendays

Has anyone  used african black soap? I bought some and been using it for a couple days and I noticed my skin has been breaking out more. I have oily skin and pimples mainly on my forehead. Also some other products I've seen people recommend is witch hazel and rose water and I want to know if it's effective? 

Rose water is good for calming your skin. I've heard about witch hazel benefits like its ability to remove excess oil and cleaning pores but I heard it dries you out.

I've sebaceous filaments on my nose. What toner should I use? Currently I'm using hada labo aha/bha but it doesn't work. I want to try cosrx but idk which one I should use.

Not a toner but try checking out COSRX's BHA Blackhead Power Liquid. It helped me with whiteheads and fixing my overall skin texture. I think this falls into chemical exfoliant category.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using the Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay, and it's working wonders for me. Every night I mix it with raw apple cider vinegar by Bragg. Afterwards, I wash it off with warm water, I apply Physiogel (my moisturizer) all over my face and a very small amount of Epiduo on affected areas. I wake up with much better skin, idk where this clay has been all my life lol. My acne calmed down in 3-4 days, and the ones that were just about to make its way out died down and disappeared eventually. I've been using it for a week and a few days now.

skin: combination 

make-up: only etude house's sand foundation, but I don't use it regularly

acne: mild. whiteheads, sebaceous filaments, papules, pustules (now I just have very light scars left)

skin: very sensitive 

hours of sleep I typically get: 5-6 hrs

diet: I eat EVERYTHING lol, but I do eat vegetables regularly. 

if you look up reviews of the clay online, majority of its consumers are just as satisfied as I am ilikeitplz.png

I've recently tried using the hylamide Hydra-Density Mist and started breaking out... not sure if it's because of the mist (I also started using the ordinary serum foundation and nyx dewy mist at the same time) but does anyone know if it contains any acne causing ingredient?

Also anyone tried Mikimoto Cosmetics Essence Mask? is it worth it? this shit expensive as hell TT

https://www.amazon.com/Mikimoto-Cosmetics-Essence-Mask-pieces/dp/B0181RTCTS

but I heard it's extremely moisturizing so I really want to try it out

Edited by IceCakez

Oh no warstarplz.png  I love rose!!! Rose sheet masks are some of my fave!! But coconut makes sense, it's highly comedogenic (meaning it clogs pores).

I wouldn't use aloe vera gel as a toner, it's too thick while toners should be watery. There are watery toners with aloe in them, like the Benton Aloe BHA toner. Which aloe gel did you use btw? Some of them, like the Nature Republic one, have alcohol in them, and that's probs what dried you out. I mostly use aloe gel as a soothing step when I have redness or tender cystic zits. Also, yeah, ditch the cotton pad. I prefer to lightly apply toner with my hands and then gently pat it in.

Tbh, I'm not super familiar with the Glossier brand, I just know the gel cleanser is a popular rec for dry skinned people. And no problem, always happy to help! If you want more info or recs from people who know more than me, I'd say check out the asianbeauty subreddit, it's where I learned everything and it has a daily help thread for people looking for recs!

btw I went with the glossier cleanser and I really like it so far, thank you(:

I've recently tried using the hylamide Hydra-Density Mist and started breaking out... not sure if it's because of the mist (I also started using the ordinary serum foundation and nyx dewy mist at the same time) but does anyone know if it contains any acne causing ingredient?

Also anyone tried Mikimoto Cosmetics Essence Mask? is it worth it? this shit expensive as hell TT

https://www.amazon.com/Mikimoto-Cosmetics-Essence-Mask-pieces/dp/B0181RTCTS

but I heard it's extremely moisturizing so I really want to try it out

Sorry for the double post, but a useful site for examining cosmetic ingredients is cosdna.com. It's not perfect, but it's a good starting point. I put in that mist you mentioned and it came up clean for common acne-causing ingredients (http://www.cosdna.com/eng/cosmetic_c515303094.html). That doesn't necessarily mean it didn't cause your break out - some people are sensitive to ingredients that are normally "safe". But one of the other 2 products you were trying at the time could've been guilty. 

EDIT: I just looked at the ingredients list again and the the second ingredient is "Rosa Damascena Flower Water" and I remember you said you have a sensitivity to rose products... that might be the culprit.

Edited by Kerfuffle
  • Like 1

Sorry for the double post, but a useful site for examining cosmetic ingredients is cosdna.com. It's not perfect, but it's a good starting point. I put in that mist you mentioned and it came up clean for common acne-causing ingredients (http://www.cosdna.com/eng/cosmetic_c515303094.html). That doesn't necessarily mean it didn't cause your break out - some people are sensitive to ingredients that are normally "safe". But one of the other 2 products you were trying at the time could've been guilty. 

EDIT: I just looked at the ingredients list again and the the second ingredient is "Rosa Damascena Flower Water" and I remember you said you have a sensitivity to rose products... that might be the culprit.

thank youuu, yea im kinda dumb for using so many new products without caution. i switched out that spray with an aloe vera mist and my skin has got much more calmer. It's by Blumei for anyone who's curious. Never heard of the brand, just found it on sweetcoria, super cheap too.

edit: shoot, I just checked the ingredient and there's alcohol in the 3rd ingredient =_= is that bad?

http://www.cosdna.com/eng/cosmetic_8051241252.html

http://www.cosdna.com/eng/cosmetic_f207134006.html

Rosmarinus Officinalis Leaf Extract oh no do you think I may react to this?

http://www.cosdna.com/eng/cosmetic_844e177904.html

between these, what do you think is a better toner? 

Also does anyone else skin gets bumpy by the end of the day if you wear sunscreen? :(

Edited by IceCakez

thank youuu, yea im kinda dumb for using so many new products without caution. i switched out that spray with an aloe vera mist and my skin has got much more calmer. It's by Blumei for anyone who's curious. Never heard of the brand, just found it on sweetcoria, super cheap too.

edit: shoot, I just checked the ingredient and there's alcohol in the 3rd ingredient =_= is that bad?

http://www.cosdna.com/eng/cosmetic_8051241252.html

http://www.cosdna.com/eng/cosmetic_f207134006.html

Rosmarinus Officinalis Leaf Extract oh no do you think I may react to this?

http://www.cosdna.com/eng/cosmetic_844e177904.html

between these, what do you think is a better toner? 

Also does anyone else skin gets bumpy by the end of the day if you wear sunscreen? :(

Alcohol is generally disliked and a lot of people try to avoid it when they can since it can be drying/irritating, BUT skincare is whatever works for YOU, so if your skin is reacting well to a product, go ahead and keep using it! One of my fave inexpensive sheet masks (Innisfree It's Real - Green tea) has alcohol as the 4th ingredient, but I've had 0 problems, so I keep using it. 

I haven't tried either of the products you listed, but the Missha Time Revolution isn't a toner, it's a first treatment essence, which has a diff purpose than a toner. The Missha one is pretty popular, but since you have very sensitive skin, I would go for products that have simpler ingredients lists. The longer and more complex the ingredients list, the more stuff there is to potentially cause a reaction.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm using the Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay, and it's working wonders for me. Every night I mix it with raw apple cider vinegar by Bragg. Afterwards, I wash it off with warm water, I apply Physiogel (my moisturizer) all over my face and a very small amount of Epiduo on affected areas. I wake up with much better skin, idk where this clay has been all my life lol. My acne calmed down in 3-4 days, and the ones that were just about to make its way out died down and disappeared eventually. I've been using it for a week and a few days now.

skin: combination 

make-up: only etude house's sand foundation, but I don't use it regularly

acne: mild. whiteheads, sebaceous filaments, papules, pustules (now I just have very light scars left)

skin: very sensitive 

hours of sleep I typically get: 5-6 hrs

diet: I eat EVERYTHING lol, but I do eat vegetables regularly. 

if you look up reviews of the clay online, majority of its consumers are just as satisfied as I am ilikeitplz.png

did it help you take care of the whiteheads and sebaceous filaments? i have pore problems and whiteheads but i didn't really see the result i wanted so i stopped using it. i had huge expectations for it too :( how often do you use it by the way? it might be my timing with the product, so i just wanna make sure if i had tried it in its best condition and circumstances.

did it help you take care of the whiteheads and sebaceous filaments? i have pore problems and whiteheads but i didn't really see the result i wanted so i stopped using it. i had huge expectations for it too :( how often do you use it by the way? it might be my timing with the product, so i just wanna make sure if i had tried it in its best condition and circumstances.

yeah, it did. Do you apply moisturizer after you wash the clay off? because it's really drying, and your skin can try to make up for it by making more oil hence the whiteheads. I get pimples when I'm on my period so when I feel one about to form a head, I apply a bit of the clay on the affected area and leave it overnight, I do this every night before bed until the pimple eventually calms down, then I just use my acne medication. 

I don't apply it all over my face everyday, maybe like every other day or every 2 days. And instructions usually say to leave it on for like 20 minutes, but I wash mine off after leaving it on for an hour. I like the feeling of the clay sucking all the gunk on my face. 

yeah, it did. Do you apply moisturizer after you wash the clay off? because it's really drying, and your skin can try to make up for it by making more oil hence the whiteheads. I get pimples when I'm on my period so when I feel one about to form a head, I apply a bit of the clay on the affected area and leave it overnight, I do this every night before bed until the pimple eventually calms down, then I just use my acne medication. 

I don't apply it all over my face everyday, maybe like every other day or every 2 days. And instructions usually say to leave it on for like 20 minutes, but I wash mine off after leaving it on for an hour. I like the feeling of the clay sucking all the gunk on my face. 

yeah i always apply toner and moisturizer after using any masks. i still have no idea what i did wrong, pretty sure i've done all the instructions told but it still wouldn't do anything for me so they're just lying around now and i still have a lot orz. maybe i should give it another try.

so as much as i like the heimish cleansing balm, i really hate that its in a tube and you have to scoop out cus i get lazy. do you guys have any oil cleanser that comes in a bottle that works just as well?

Hello all.

"Use x this works"

I know this was from a while ago but I thought I would share some tips. 

My daughter gets these sometimes and I get smaller spots and what really works well for us is tea tree oil. Straight it is a little drying so I mix it with tamanu oil which is also good for acne and healing. 

• 3 weeks later...

for anyone who want to try my secret beauty:

1.I always double cleansing with olive oil,while cleanser I just do whatever cheap brand

2.I used acv as my toner,its stink but it did great for my skin

3.I used serum as moisturiser,fyi I used scar serum rn,yeah still cant fade my scar.

4.pomegranate+honey mask.this is must3xxx.it did wonder to my skin,fyi my pimple heal so fast n you guys should try it.

• Like 1