Forums Rules Staff Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
Sign in to follow this  
Nekci

The Official Skincare Thread (Read the OP)

Has anyone tried PureHeal's products?

They have a Propolis line which seems interesting :3 Propolis is really good for people with sensitive, acne-prone skin I think. And the packagings are so CUTEEEE

I'm a sucker for Korean skincare product's packaging!

Anyone here using skinfood omija toner or etude house wonder pore toner?? Are they really good?

I tried the Etude House Wonder Pore Toner and I like it, it really does help get rid of any make-up or dirt residue still left on my face after I wash it. And it also is really refreshing and doesn't make me break out but I didn't really see my pore get smaller though  :horror: .

I have never tried the Skinfood Omija one but I heard it is really good for brightening right? 

I guess I'll just post up my skincare routine and see if it helps anyone? Firstly, I have combo-oily skin (mostly oily around the t-zone, jaw is normal) and some acne scarring on my forehead and cheeks. I used to have mild acne and only get an occasional bump. I don't really break out anymore. For cleansers, I like to switch it up because using something for a long period of time can make it lose effect quickly. Currently, I'm using Garnier's Shine Be Gone gel cleanser. It works not bad but I used to use Neutrogena Naturals' Purifying Pore Scrub which is when I kind of stopped breaking out. I use my cleanser in conjunction with the Olay Cleansing System (cheap ver. of Clarisonic) which is what I believe works so well for me. I don't break out anymore though I get small bumps sometimes, those aren't actual pimples. I'm currently using Garnier's Shine Be Gone toner (goes hand in hand with the cleanser) which helps control my oil. I also like the Simple Kind to Skin Soothing toner which I recently finished. For moisturiser, I'm currently using Simple's Kind to Skin hydrating light moisturiser which I quite like. Previously used Neutrogena's Sensitive Skin Moisture for years and loved it however like I said, because I used it for too long, it was starting to lose effect. Nonetheless, I still liked it. I use the Olay eye cream and lash duo. The eye cream is okay but the lash serum really works! My eyelashes are visibly longer *0* Once or twice a week, I would also use the Lush Ocean Salt which is expensive! It's so expensive that I don't like to use too much. Occasionally, I will use a My Beauty Diary sheet mask (any kind I have on hand) and am currently using the aloe one. So here's my skincare routine! I actually don't use that much stuff and everything can be bought at your local drugstore besides the Lush Ocean Salt which you can purchase at...Lush :)

Brief kinda long review of products mentioned, more info and who I would recommend it for (also includes other skin products):

[spoiler]

Garnier Shine Be Gone gel cleanser+toner: I would recommend these products for people who have oily skin. DO NOT try this if you have dry skin because I find it can be a bit drying sometimes so if you're dry, you'll be even dryer. I think for normal skin, it's alright but not really the ideal product. I mainly recommend for oily skin people or combo skin but mainly oily.

Olay Cleansing System: I highly recommend this product to pretty much anyone! Especially if you have troubled skin like mild acne or bumps! The Clarisonic is really pricey so this is a cheaper alternative. I got this on sale for like $20AUD but it can be sold cheaper online or in other countries (can be pricier depending on your location too). Mind you, it obviously isn't as good as the Clarisonic probably but it worked really well for me in terms of reducing and controlling my acne! I've dealt with mild acne for around 3 years and tried so many products but it wasn't really until I used this with my cleansers that I stopped breaking out. I have only some scarring now. With these cleansing tools however, you must replace the brush heads to ensure it's not all nasty and gross. I got two replacement brush heads (comes in a set of two) for $8AUD. 

Simple Kind to Skin hydrating moisturiser: Really smooth once you put it on your skin!! It doesn't say it's for oil control but I think it controls it relatively well. Quite hydrating. I would recommend for combo skin (not too sure about full on oily) and normal skin. I think Simple is a good brand to try out if you have sensitive skin. They have really gentle products from my experience that work well. 

Olay Eye and Lash Duo: The eye cream is alright, I actually noticed it reducing my dark circles a little but I don't have much anyway. The lash serum part of this duo is great though! I would only use it before going to sleep because it has a gel texture which won't look cute under your mascara or something. It really helps to strengthen your lashes and help them grow longer from my experience. I also have shorter Asian lashes that grow straight down and fall out easily if I'm not careful with my lash curlers. This helped a lot. 

Lush Ocean Salt: This product is so expensive so I'm not 100% sure if I would repurchase it. It has a nice scent in my opinion, kind of lemony and citrusy. When you buy this, you need to mix it thoroughly because it has the liquid/cream part on the bottom and the salt on top. It is a very good exfoliator and is hydrating! I know it sounds funny because salt is kind of drying but believe me, it has other ingredients that hydrate like avocado or coconut (or something! I don't quite remember but you can take a look on the Lush website). I quite like this because afterwards, my skin is so soft, smooth and fresh. Lots of reviews state this helped their acne but I didn't really see much for my acne because I don't use it daily for obvious reasons. I would definitely repurchase without consideration if it wasn't for the price I have to keep in mind. I would recommend this for oily skin, combo, normal and possibly dry skin because it does moisturise. However, if you're incredibly dry and sensitive with open wounds, I do not recommend this because after all, it's salt mixed in with other stuff and could sting and be too harsh for you.

My Beauty Diary Masks: I generally like to use these for hydrating purposes and they help to brighten and hydrate my skin so I have no complaints. I will continue to purchase these however not in Australia because they're too overpriced. Buying them online from a reliable store such as Sasa.com is good. I usually get my friends/family who go overseas to pick some up for me. But honestly, I've tried other masks from Missha, Nature's Republic (etc) and I feel they work the same. I think any kind of sheet mask will hydrate well. I've even tried the Daiso sheet masks and they're fine too. If MBD masks are to expensive in your area, you can seek cheaper alternatives because from my experience, most sheet masks work the same.   

Neutrogena Naturals Purifying Pore Scrub: This is very gentle being a scrub. I even used this with my OIay Cleansing System so you can imagine how gentle it is. It's all natural (you can take a look at the ingredients on the back) so that's good for your skin. I really like this however, it can be a little bit drying (probably because I like using it with my Olay Cleansing System). If you use it just by itself, I would say it's appropriate for normal or dry skin too :)

Simple King to Skin Soothing toner: I like this product and will repurchase it again after I'm done with the Garnier toner I'm currently using. It's very gentle but cleans your skin very well. Feels very fresh and smooth after you use it. I doesn't have an alcohol in it so it's not drying. I would recommend for combo skin and normal skin. If you're not super oily, this could work too but if you want something that controls oil, the Garnier one is probably a better option. This one isn't targeted towards oil control but more for hydration. Good for sensitive skin.

Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Moisture: Like I said, I used this for years and repurchased it many times, so I really enjoy this moisturiser. It is super moisturising and really good for sensitive skin and dry skin. I used this as a combo-oily person and it worked nice too but it didn't control oil very well (and doesn't claim to either). Reason I chose a hydrating but lightweight moisturiser is because oily skin is basically skin that's ultimately dry. Because your skin is dry on the inside, it produces oil to counter it so you need something moisturising but not heavy. This is fragrance free and oil free so really good for people who are sensitive to fragrance and oils. Again, I stopped using this because I saw it began to lose effect but I liked it while I used it. Highly recommend for dry skin, normal skin and combo skin that's more on the normal side. 

I think I covered everything! I hope someone actually reads and benefits from this because I spent ages typing it out xD I also didn't mention because not sure if it's considered 'skincare' but I like the Nivea Milk and Honey lip balm and the Neutrogena Naturals lip balm! Very moisturising and will definitely recommend to anyone! They also don't feel like a layer of oil over your lips either. I used EOS for a while and although it's a nice lip balm, I'd say it'd only so-so for moisturising. It's a good lip balm if your lips aren't super dry. I like to use it as a balm before applying products like lipstick, gloss, stains. etc. Additionally, I also use sunscreen daily for protection. Currently I use the Shiseido Anessa Perfect UV sunscreen. This is VERY pricey! I bit my tongue and bought this for $50AUD because I'm crazy about sun protection. I really like it though. Incredibly light, feels like you didn't even put anything on! It is not oily or greasy in any way and in my opinion, keeps my oil in check. I also like to use this as a primer for my makeup and it's really good. I can't say enough good things about it. It's very expensive but I feel I would purchase it again because it works so well and actually lasts quite a while even though the bottle is kind of small. Been using this for a good year (or so) and I'm still on my first bottle. Also has very high protection and no white caste in pictures! This is a chemical sunscreen (no titanium dioxide or zinc oxide) so it will not make you look white. I actually wear this to school and took a picture in a dark room with flash and looked totally normal. For an alternative, I recommend Neutrogena sunscreens :)

[/spoiler]

Edited by rosesxthorns
  • Like 1

I guess I'll just post up my skincare routine and see if it helps anyone? Firstly, I have combo-oily skin (mostly oily around the t-zone, jaw is normal) and some acne scarring on my forehead and cheeks. I used to have mild acne and only get an occasional bump. I don't really break out anymore. For cleansers, I like to switch it up because using something for a long period of time can make it lose effect quickly. Currently, I'm using Garnier's Shine Be Gone gel cleanser. It works not bad but I used to use Neutrogena Naturals' Purifying Pore Scrub which is when I kind of stopped breaking out. I use my cleanser in conjunction with the Olay Cleansing System (cheap ver. of Clarisonic) which is what I believe works so well for me. I don't break out anymore though I get small bumps sometimes, those aren't actual pimples. I'm currently using Garnier's Shine Be Gone toner (goes hand in hand with the cleanser) which helps control my oil. I also like the Simple Kind to Skin Soothing toner which I recently finished. For moisturiser, I'm currently using Simple's Kind to Skin hydrating light moisturiser which I quite like. Previously used Neutrogena's Sensitive Skin Moisture for years and loved it however like I said, because I used it for too long, it was starting to lose effect. Nonetheless, I still liked it. I use the Olay eye cream and lash duo. The eye cream is okay but the lash serum really works! My eyelashes are visibly longer *0* Once or twice a week, I would also use the Lush Ocean Salt which is expensive! It's so expensive that I don't like to use too much. Occasionally, I will use a My Beauty Diary sheet mask (any kind I have on hand) and am currently using the aloe one. So here's my skincare routine! I actually don't use that much stuff and everything can be bought at your local drugstore besides the Lush Ocean Salt which you can purchase at...Lush :)

Brief kinda long review of products mentioned, more info and who I would recommend it for (also includes other skin products):

[spoiler]

Garnier Shine Be Gone gel cleanser+toner: I would recommend these products for people who have oily skin. DO NOT try this if you have dry skin because I find it can be a bit drying sometimes so if you're dry, you'll be even dryer. I think for normal skin, it's alright but not really the ideal product. I mainly recommend for oily skin people or combo skin but mainly oily.

Olay Cleansing System: I highly recommend this product to pretty much anyone! Especially if you have troubled skin like mild acne or bumps! The Clarisonic is really pricey so this is a cheaper alternative. I got this on sale for like $20AUD but it can be sold cheaper online or in other countries (can be pricier depending on your location too). Mind you, it obviously isn't as good as the Clarisonic probably but it worked really well for me in terms of reducing and controlling my acne! I've dealt with mild acne for around 3 years and tried so many products but it wasn't really until I used this with my cleansers that I stopped breaking out. I have only some scarring now. With these cleansing tools however, you must replace the brush heads to ensure it's not all nasty and gross. I got two replacement brush heads (comes in a set of two) for $8AUD. 

Simple Kind to Skin hydrating moisturiser: Really smooth once you put it on your skin!! It doesn't say it's for oil control but I think it controls it relatively well. Quite hydrating. I would recommend for combo skin (not too sure about full on oily) and normal skin. I think Simple is a good brand to try out if you have sensitive skin. They have really gentle products from my experience that work well. 

Olay Eye and Lash Duo: The eye cream is alright, I actually noticed it reducing my dark circles a little but I don't have much anyway. The lash serum part of this duo is great though! I would only use it before going to sleep because it has a gel texture which won't look cute under your mascara or something. It really helps to strengthen your lashes and help them grow longer from my experience. I also have shorter Asian lashes that grow straight down and fall out easily if I'm not careful with my lash curlers. This helped a lot. 

Lush Ocean Salt: This product is so expensive so I'm not 100% sure if I would repurchase it. It has a nice scent in my opinion, kind of lemony and citrusy. When you buy this, you need to mix it thoroughly because it has the liquid/cream part on the bottom and the salt on top. It is a very good exfoliator and is hydrating! I know it sounds funny because salt is kind of drying but believe me, it has other ingredients that hydrate like avocado or coconut (or something! I don't quite remember but you can take a look on the Lush website). I quite like this because afterwards, my skin is so soft, smooth and fresh. Lots of reviews state this helped their acne but I didn't really see much for my acne because I don't use it daily for obvious reasons. I would definitely repurchase without consideration if it wasn't for the price I have to keep in mind. I would recommend this for oily skin, combo, normal and possibly dry skin because it does moisturise. However, if you're incredibly dry and sensitive with open wounds, I do not recommend this because after all, it's salt mixed in with other stuff and could sting and be too harsh for you.

My Beauty Diary Masks: I generally like to use these for hydrating purposes and they help to brighten and hydrate my skin so I have no complaints. I will continue to purchase these however not in Australia because they're too overpriced. Buying them online from a reliable store such as Sasa.com is good. I usually get my friends/family who go overseas to pick some up for me. But honestly, I've tried other masks from Missha, Nature's Republic (etc) and I feel they work the same. I think any kind of sheet mask will hydrate well. I've even tried the Daiso sheet masks and they're fine too. If MBD masks are to expensive in your area, you can seek cheaper alternatives because from my experience, most sheet masks work the same.   

Neutrogena Naturals Purifying Pore Scrub: This is very gentle being a scrub. I even used this with my OIay Cleansing System so you can imagine how gentle it is. It's all natural (you can take a look at the ingredients on the back) so that's good for your skin. I really like this however, it can be a little bit drying (probably because I like using it with my Olay Cleansing System). If you use it just by itself, I would say it's appropriate for normal or dry skin too :)

Simple King to Skin Soothing toner: I like this product and will repurchase it again after I'm done with the Garnier toner I'm currently using. It's very gentle but cleans your skin very well. Feels very fresh and smooth after you use it. I doesn't have an alcohol in it so it's not drying. I would recommend for combo skin and normal skin. If you're not super oily, this could work too but if you want something that controls oil, the Garnier one is probably a better option. This one isn't targeted towards oil control but more for hydration. Good for sensitive skin.

Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Moisture: Like I said, I used this for years and repurchased it many times, so I really enjoy this moisturiser. It is super moisturising and really good for sensitive skin and dry skin. I used this as a combo-oily person and it worked nice too but it didn't control oil very well (and doesn't claim to either). Reason I chose a hydrating but lightweight moisturiser is because oily skin is basically skin that's ultimately dry. Because your skin is dry on the inside, it produces oil to counter it so you need something moisturising but not heavy. This is fragrance free and oil free so really good for people who are sensitive to fragrance and oils. Again, I stopped using this because I saw it began to lose effect but I liked it while I used it. Highly recommend for dry skin, normal skin and combo skin that's more on the normal side. 

I think I covered everything! I hope someone actually reads and benefits from this because I spent ages typing it out xD I also didn't mention because not sure if it's considered 'skincare' but I like the Nivea Milk and Honey lip balm and the Neutrogena Naturals lip balm! Very moisturising and will definitely recommend to anyone! They also don't feel like a layer of oil over your lips either. I used EOS for a while and although it's a nice lip balm, I'd say it'd only so-so for moisturising. It's a good lip balm if your lips aren't super dry. I like to use it as a balm before applying products like lipstick, gloss, stains. etc. Additionally, I also use sunscreen daily for protection. Currently I use the Shiseido Anessa Perfect UV sunscreen. This is VERY pricey! I bit my tongue and bought this for $50AUD because I'm crazy about sun protection. I really like it though. Incredibly light, feels like you didn't even put anything on! It is not oily or greasy in any way and in my opinion, keeps my oil in check. I also like to use this as a primer for my makeup and it's really good. I can't say enough good things about it. It's very expensive but I feel I would purchase it again because it works so well and actually lasts quite a while even though the bottle is kind of small. Been using this for a good year (or so) and I'm still on my first bottle. Also has very high protection and no white caste in pictures! This is a chemical sunscreen (no titanium dioxide or zinc oxide) so it will not make you look white. I actually wear this to school and took a picture in a dark room with flash and looked totally normal. For an alternative, I recommend Neutrogena sunscreens :)

[/spoiler]

it sounds like you got your life planned out! :lol: lucky you for finding skincare that works~

i actually have sensitive / combination skin so i can't use the majority of drugstore skincare :unsure: i have to rely on boscia and avene right now T_T

it sounds like you got your life planned out! :lol: lucky you for finding skincare that works~

i actually have sensitive / combination skin so i can't use the majority of drugstore skincare :unsure: i have to rely on boscia and avene right now T_T

Yeah, since every time I mention a product you're like "That made me break out"

Yeah, since every time I mention a product you're like "That made me break out"

yeah, things that have sulfate are way too drying for my skin, and yeah lol 

Has anyone tried Oxy ace facial wash or the wipes? I've read mostly positive reviews on it and I'm thinking of buying it today. It has 10% Benzoyl Peroxide, which apparently makes it really drying but nothing a good moisturizer can fix.

Recommend me a cheap, yet good, drugstore product/face mask for blackheads T.T 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQoJlQKxguZDbkAD7NWTI0 Queen Helene Mint Masque...............costs like 4 - 5 bucks, and it works really well. When you put it on it tingles and it helps your pores too. The one product to steer clear of is BIORE Pore Strips.....DO NOT EVER USE THEM! 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQoJlQKxguZDbkAD7NWTI0 Queen Helene Mint Masque...............costs like 4 - 5 bucks, and it works really well. When you put it on it tingles and it helps your pores too. The one product to steer clear of is BIORE Pore Strips.....DO NOT EVER USE THEM! 

Why?

Why?

they are quite harsh on your skin and pulls out your hairs as well :unsure:

if you use korean cosmetics, you can always look at the innisfree volcanic mask! :D

they are quite harsh on your skin and pulls out your hairs as well :unsure:

Oh thanks. Couldn't find the mask at Shoppers :( 

Why?

The pore strips are very harsh and they stretch and tear at the sensitive skin around your nose and over time your pores get bigger so you get more clogged pores and also all that tugging and ripping can also cause broken blood capillaries. So steer clear of the strips

The pore strips are very harsh and they stretch and tear at the sensitive skin around your nose and over time your pores get bigger so you get more clogged pores and also all that tugging and ripping can also cause broken blood capillaries. So steer clear of the strips

Sounds disgusting. 

It is terrible, I learned my lesson the hard way. And were you able to get the Queen Helene mask? :)

No :( Shoppers doesn't carry them. I'll try at the Superstore. 

No :( Shoppers doesn't carry them. I'll try at the Superstore. 

All righties, I'll try to see if I can find some other drug store brands for you if you can't find the Queen Helene one~ :) Good Luck

Could anyone recommend me a good sleeping pack mask?

Planning to get laneige water ex one. heard it's good and it's sold out so much and really fast.

So far from all the reviews i read, it works and laneige products are usually free from paraben etc.

Planning to get laneige water ex one. heard it's good and it's sold out so much and really fast.

So far from all the reviews i read, it works and laneige products are usually free from paraben etc.

The Laneige one is really nice, I own the original one not the firming one and it is really nice. It isn't too heavy and the scent is really nice and it doesn't break me out.

Also just a fyi if you guys live near a Target check to see if they sell Laneige there because some Targets now sell the brand so it is much easier than ordering online :D

All righties, I'll try to see if I can find some other drug store brands for you if you can't find the Queen Helene one~ :) Good Luck

Thanks <3

The Laneige one is really nice, I own the original one not the firming one and it is really nice. It isn't too heavy and the scent is really nice and it doesn't break me out.

Also just a fyi if you guys live near a Target check to see if they sell Laneige there because some Targets now sell the brand so it is much easier than ordering online :D

Thanks! I saw that mask before, on bubzbeauty's channel! I never tried a sleeping mask pack so yeah I think I'm going to order it on ebay! (too bad I don't live in the states)

Recommend me a cheap, yet good, drugstore product/face mask for blackheads T.T 

http://youtu.be/iMrjbAx8NHM

Sorry, I don't really deal with blackheads, so I didn't know how to answer lol

But don't use the lemon one

Edited by Niki

http://youtu.be/iMrjbAx8NHM

Sorry, I don't really deal with blackheads, so I didn't know how to answer lol

Thanks!