OneHallyu

The Official Skincare Thread (Read the OP)

I'm black and white and under the age of 21. I have a semi-dark complexion, looks like caramel hehe. I usually have very dry skin in the morning and collect oil throughout the day. I use to have breakouts on my forehead, nose, and cheeks. I never use makeup, besides lipstick on special occasions. My usual acne was Papules. I never used drugs, smoke, or drink alcohol but had rather sensitive skin. 

I used a lot of different skin care products but found after a few days without using that specific product (like switching to regular soap or other skin care) I would break out like there was no tomorrow. My skin was awful until I used Black soap. Made naturally from plants and natural ingredients in Africa, black soap cleared my skin and kept it clear. Even if I wash my face with other skin care products and never use black soap for a week, it still kept my skin clear. Unless I eat a lot of chocolate or it's near the time of the month, I have clear skin. I recommend, especially since its effective for my entire family. 
Edited by Blu Rai
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It seems like there are a lot of threads being dedicated to getting rid of acne and people seeking advice, so I decided to make a thread that probably won't catch on about getting clear skin where peo

they all suck, best advice I'd ever got was just use homemade treatments. 

The thing that you guys need to figure out first is whether you have black heads or Sebaceous Filaments.   I am pretty sure that you guys have the latter which can be identified as sebaceous filamen

Oh, maybe it's because I have my university's VPN on. 

[spoiler] To the Editor: Chemical burns are often associated with strong acids such as sulfuric, nitric, and hydrochloric acids, but can occur with weaker acids such as acetic acid. 1 An 8-year-old boy with a history of Crohn’s disease and HLA-B27-positive spondyloarthropathy had developed multiple lesions of mollusca contagiosa on his left leg over several weeks. His medications were weekly methotrexate (15 mg for the past year) and more recently, 3 doses of adalimumab (40 mg every other week). The evening before presentation, in an attempt to treat the mollusca contagiosa, his mother applied cotton balls soaked in apple cider vinegar (∼5% acetic acid) to the left popliteal fossa and side of his left knee. Adhesive bandages were placed over the cotton balls and both were removed the next morning after approximately 8 hours of contact time.

At the time of application, the patient noted a burning sensation, and the next day there were areas of violet discoloration and tenderness of the left leg. The patient also had developed a low-grade fever (102.2°F). On physical examination, violaceous macules and patches were seen with the largest lesion located in the popliteal crease; the latter was linear with an irregular outline. A purple rim was noted around the white papules of mollusca contagiosa (Fig 1A). Given the history and that the most prominent lesion was in the area of greatest occlusion, irritant contact dermatitis/chemical burn was the leading diagnosis. Because of the low-grade fever and the possibility of soft-tissue infection, however, two skin biopsies were performed, one for routine histology and one for tissue culture.

1-s2.0-S0190962211022432-gr1.jpg
Fig 1. 

Chemical burn caused by topical acetic acid; clinical presentation and histologic features. A, Violaceous macules and patches in left popliteal fossa along with scattered dome-shaped white papules. Largest patch is oriented in linear fashion in popliteal crease and has irregular borders. There is a purple rim surrounding several white molluscum papules. B, Abrupt epidermal necrosis with neutrophils within its lower portion and underlying papillary dermis, along with fibrinoid vascular changes just below epidermal necrosis. C, Portion of epidermis is hyperplastic and displays intracytoplasmic eosinophilic inclusions (molluscum bodies) and acute necrosis. (B and C, Hematoxylin-eosin stain; original magnifications: B, ×20; C, Ã—10.)

Microscopic examination revealed abrupt epidermal necrosis with intraepidermal and papillary dermal neutrophils; fibrinoid changes of papillary dermal vessels were visible beneath the areas of epidermal necrosis (Fig 1B and C). Henderson-Paterson bodies were also present. Special stains, blood cultures, and tissue cultures all produced negative results.

Based on these findings, the patient was diagnosed with a chemical burn caused by topical apple cider vinegar. It is possible that there was less absorption of the acetic acid in the thickest portion of the mollusca contagiosa papules, leading to the purple rims. The chemical burns healed without intervention. The mollusca did not respond to the acetic acid therapy but subsequently resolved with topical cantharidin.

The US Food and Drug Administration mandates that vinegars contain a minimum of 4% acetic acid; however, the concentrations of acetic acid found in commercially available vinegars can range from 4% to 8%, depending on the exact source of the vinegar (Table I). Chemical burns secondary to topical application of vinegar have been rarely reported, but even ulceration has been observed.12 and 3 Of note, the undiluted form, glacial acetic acid, is available for purchase via the Internet and when applied, eg, as a self-administered facial chemical peel, has led to hypertrophic scarring.4 Given the increase in the use of alternative therapies for skin disorders, including the application of vinegar to warts, lice, and mollusca, chemical burns caused by acetic acid may increase in incidence. [/spoiler]

Ugh, I really hate articles that don't give enough information. For example, it gave this specific person a chemical burn but is it due to the person's sensitivity? Heck, could be his skin reacts terribly to apple cider. For instance, some people really can't handle Retin A AT ALL, but it is still used in skin care. Bleh, this is why I stopped researching cosmetics. Too much mixed information on the nature of preservatives that I was just like "I give up"

Oh, maybe it's because I have my university's VPN on. 

[spoiler] To the Editor: Chemical burns are often associated with strong acids such as sulfuric, nitric, and hydrochloric acids, but can occur with weaker acids such as acetic acid. 1 An 8-year-old boy with a history of Crohn’s disease and HLA-B27-positive spondyloarthropathy had developed multiple lesions of mollusca contagiosa on his left leg over several weeks. His medications were weekly methotrexate (15 mg for the past year) and more recently, 3 doses of adalimumab (40 mg every other week). The evening before presentation, in an attempt to treat the mollusca contagiosa, his mother applied cotton balls soaked in apple cider vinegar (∼5% acetic acid) to the left popliteal fossa and side of his left knee. Adhesive bandages were placed over the cotton balls and both were removed the next morning after approximately 8 hours of contact time.

At the time of application, the patient noted a burning sensation, and the next day there were areas of violet discoloration and tenderness of the left leg. The patient also had developed a low-grade fever (102.2°F). On physical examination, violaceous macules and patches were seen with the largest lesion located in the popliteal crease; the latter was linear with an irregular outline. A purple rim was noted around the white papules of mollusca contagiosa (Fig 1A). Given the history and that the most prominent lesion was in the area of greatest occlusion, irritant contact dermatitis/chemical burn was the leading diagnosis. Because of the low-grade fever and the possibility of soft-tissue infection, however, two skin biopsies were performed, one for routine histology and one for tissue culture.

1-s2.0-S0190962211022432-gr1.jpg
Fig 1. 

Chemical burn caused by topical acetic acid; clinical presentation and histologic features. A, Violaceous macules and patches in left popliteal fossa along with scattered dome-shaped white papules. Largest patch is oriented in linear fashion in popliteal crease and has irregular borders. There is a purple rim surrounding several white molluscum papules. B, Abrupt epidermal necrosis with neutrophils within its lower portion and underlying papillary dermis, along with fibrinoid vascular changes just below epidermal necrosis. C, Portion of epidermis is hyperplastic and displays intracytoplasmic eosinophilic inclusions (molluscum bodies) and acute necrosis. (B and C, Hematoxylin-eosin stain; original magnifications: B, ×20; C, Ã—10.)

Microscopic examination revealed abrupt epidermal necrosis with intraepidermal and papillary dermal neutrophils; fibrinoid changes of papillary dermal vessels were visible beneath the areas of epidermal necrosis (Fig 1B and C). Henderson-Paterson bodies were also present. Special stains, blood cultures, and tissue cultures all produced negative results.

Based on these findings, the patient was diagnosed with a chemical burn caused by topical apple cider vinegar. It is possible that there was less absorption of the acetic acid in the thickest portion of the mollusca contagiosa papules, leading to the purple rims. The chemical burns healed without intervention. The mollusca did not respond to the acetic acid therapy but subsequently resolved with topical cantharidin.

The US Food and Drug Administration mandates that vinegars contain a minimum of 4% acetic acid; however, the concentrations of acetic acid found in commercially available vinegars can range from 4% to 8%, depending on the exact source of the vinegar (Table I). Chemical burns secondary to topical application of vinegar have been rarely reported, but even ulceration has been observed.12 and 3 Of note, the undiluted form, glacial acetic acid, is available for purchase via the Internet and when applied, eg, as a self-administered facial chemical peel, has led to hypertrophic scarring.4 Given the increase in the use of alternative therapies for skin disorders, including the application of vinegar to warts, lice, and mollusca, chemical burns caused by acetic acid may increase in incidence. [/spoiler]

She did apply undiluted ACV straight to the problem area though. Plus, the child a pre-existing skin condition that it NOT acne/oiliness, so not very relevant IMO

She did apply undiluted ACV straight to the problem area though. Plus, the child a pre-existing skin condition that it NOT acne/oiliness, so not very relevant IMO

It's funny because it tells you how rare it is. 

I consider it relevant, because it's still being left on the skin for a while, undiluted or not.

If you mix 25% ACV with 75% water, the pH will be only slightly acidic...

Plus, the pre-existing skin condition probably made the child's skin more sensitive in the first place even before his mother applied ACV.

Wait guys is it recommended to use ACV as a hair stimulant, like pat some in the parts of my scalp where i have less hair. Diluted ofc and with a cotton pad. ??? 

Also i bought my manuka honey, and will try my DIY face mask! Tell ya how it goes. Scared tbh. My face is breaking out like cray due to Stress T.T and my chin is pimple heaven  :wth:

Wait guys is it recommended to use ACV as a hair stimulant, like pat some in the parts of my scalp where i have less hair. Diluted ofc and with a cotton pad. ??? 

Also i bought my manuka honey, and will try my DIY face mask! Tell ya how it goes. Scared tbh. My face is breaking out like cray due to Stress T.T and my chin is pimple heaven  :wth:

Diluted ACV is completely fine ^^

As for your skin, try a clay mask first!

Diluted ACV is completely fine ^^

As for your skin, try a clay mask first!

Thanks Goddessuuu <3 

What type of clay do you recommend :O ? 

The manuka honey mask is pretty nice !!!! made my face more brighter and kinda reduced my redness ! :P 

Edited by xharuharux

Thanks Goddessuuu <3 

What type of clay do you recommend :O ? 

The manuka honey mask is pretty nice !!!! made my face more brighter and kinda reduced my redness ! :P 

I recommend bentonite. I really like it! I actually mix it with honey and diluted ACV. 

I  decided to focus on skin care this year but damn, as opposed to acne as in large pimples and bumps, I instead have miniature bumps with some minor blackheads that just won't go away. I'm thinking of reverting back to salicylic acid due to this. 

Oh found out what it is. Apparently it's sebum trapped. I confess, I really do not exfoliate as often as I should and I am prone to neglecting my skin. Witch hazel was recommended so I'm going to try that and try to stick to a regimen.

Edited by Ghettoe

I actually use nothing 'coz I have the very good luck of not having any inperfection in my skin (and Im soooo damn happy about it) not even in my puberty era, but I think that the homemade thing my lil siter use it works  :derp:

aah i envy youuu.. and what kind of homemade thing is that?

Under 21 East Asian Male
Quite Dark Pink Skin

Oily, dry, combination? OILY!!! Thyre never dry and my face gets greasy reallllly easily

Frequent breakouts on the forehead, cheeks, nose, chin, etc? Most of my acne is situated on my cheeks, there are some on my forehead though which is better than it used to be.

Are you using any kind of face makeup regularly? None at all

What type of acne do you get? Do you get comedonal, papular, or cystic acne? Judging by the pictures, papular acne

Clear, almost clear, mild, moderate, or severe? Mild to moderate

Do you eat a lot of salty, sugary, or greasy food a lot? No

Do you or have you used any kind of drugs? Alcohol? Cigarettes? Are you on any prescribed medication? No, no and no

Is your skin sensitive or strong? I would say sensitive as it reacts when I shave

Are you stressed right now? Well general school and work stress and considering I'm in the year before my university entry, yes

How many hours of sleep do you typically get? 6 to 7 on a school night which is bad I know. I try to make it up on the weekends

For acne scars, do you have ones that are brown/black or ice picks (which is sort of a dent in your skin). Brown/black

TL;DR my face gets greasy really easily without me even touching it. I think that is what causing my acne but I'm not entirely sure. Recommend me some products please thanks!

I  decided to focus on skin care this year but damn, as opposed to acne as in large pimples and bumps, I instead have miniature bumps with some minor blackheads that just won't go away. I'm thinking of reverting back to salicylic acid due to this. 

Oh found out what it is. Apparently it's sebum trapped. I confess, I really do not exfoliate as often as I should and I am prone to neglecting my skin. Witch hazel was recommended so I'm going to try that and try to stick to a regimen.

I get sometimes those red-pus pimples when I have my period or forgets to wash off/cleanse makeup before I sleep. I always and  I mean /always/ have clogged pores on my nose that when I squeeze, it comes out white. I also get those blocked sebum-oil-dirt in my pores but it's never a bump but it's hard and grainy. Also, I get "invisible" acne, meaning it's a tiny bump or not a bump at all but if I squeeze, white or yellow comes out. It doesn't fit with the description of blackhead nor whitehead tbh.

Anyone have any ways to unclog pores for combo skin? My skin is dry and oily at random parts. I don't have honey either.  :omg:

Besides that and me always being stupid and squeezing the pimples (hence why I have the ice pick scars), my skin has less acne now probably because of the diet change and water. Here food has less chemicals and no growth hormones. I think that's a factor to acne. Before it was severe acne now it's acne only by circumstance i.e period, makeup, stress. 

I get sometimes those red-pus pimples when I have my period or forgets to wash off/cleanse makeup before I sleep. I always and  I mean /always/ have clogged pores on my nose that when I squeeze, it comes out white. I also get those blocked sebum-oil-dirt in my pores but it's never a bump but it's hard and grainy. Also, I get "invisible" acne, meaning it's a tiny bump or not a bump at all but if I squeeze, white or yellow comes out. It doesn't fit with the description of blackhead nor whitehead tbh.

Anyone have any ways to unclog pores for combo skin? My skin is dry and oily at random parts. I don't have honey either.  :omg:

Besides that and me always being stupid and squeezing the pimples (hence why I have the ice pick scars), my skin has less acne now probably because of the diet change and water. Here food has less chemicals and no growth hormones. I think that's a factor to acne. Before it was severe acne now it's acne only by circumstance i.e period, makeup, stress. 

I have the same bloody problem and when I stick to a regimen it sometimes makes my skin look better but still the bumps never really go away and they make my skin look especially dull on that side. Definite grainyness but the fortunate thing is with make up, it's easy to cover up. I also have a lot of scars mainly due to childhood fights but also acne. I really want to focus on clearing it this year.

My skin lately is still a combo. Mild oil production on the forehead, sever dryness near the mouth area and slightly on my cheeks.

Edited by Ghettoe

I get large pimples during ovulation/before period. i don't think there ever is a preventive solution to that FML i might have to deal with it (and the subsequent spots) forever 

I get one or two hard, painful bumps on my neck before my period, I have found the hydrocolloid patches (nexcare etc) work really well for them. If I'm out of patches I start using the Neutrogena fight and fade gel as soon as I notice one coming on they don't get as inflamed and heal faster. 

I didn't wash my face for over 24 hours...and I went to the gym over 12 hours ago...when Valentine's Day-induced Depression hits it hits my complexion hard. I'm going to have some nasty zits in the coming days and weeks. FML Edited by adelightfulsong
  • Like 1

TL;DR my face gets greasy really easily without me even touching it. I think that is what causing my acne but I'm not entirely sure. Recommend me some products please thanks!

If you're still taking product recs, I think I know something you could try! My friend has very similar-sounding skin (and skin problems) as you, and this works really well for them:

5477cad780ae6.jpg

Freeman Mint & Lemon Clay Mask

According to my friend, it leaves skin very smooth and soft while controlling oil, and is a great deep pore cleanser. They also said it helped clear breakouts. I unfortunately can't give you a first-hand opinion on it because I'm very dry and therefore haven't used it for myself, but I've tried other masks from this brand and I can vouch for the brand's quality and deliverance of promises. I don't know if you're interested in face masks, but if you are, I'd recommend giving it a try! I know they sell at Ulta for around $3-$4, so it's not a huge investment just in case it doesn't work. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been trying out samples of this:

s1324631-main-Lhero.jpg

it's actually amazing. i get pimples (and those blasted whiteheads) from my job cuz of the oil and grease, and this gets rid of them without using something super drying (like the exfoliator i have). Superb <3

why does it have to be $40 tho T_T