OneHallyu

The Official Skincare Thread (Read the OP)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It seems like there are a lot of threads being dedicated to getting rid of acne and people seeking advice, so I decided to make a thread that probably won't catch on about getting clear skin where peo

they all suck, best advice I'd ever got was just use homemade treatments. 

The thing that you guys need to figure out first is whether you have black heads or Sebaceous Filaments.   I am pretty sure that you guys have the latter which can be identified as sebaceous filamen

I wanna ask around here, have any of u guys heard a product called BANISH, its a derma roller that helps get rid of ur acne scars
I wanna know have any of u guys have used it before or at least heard of it?

I don't know what most people's skin concerns are here but as far as treatment for moderate acne and overall improvement of skin texture, I've had a life changing experience after starting Retin-A, also know as tretinoin, nightly. It basically promotes skin turnover and unclogs pores. You just have to make sure you wear sunscreen religiously since it makes you super light sensitive. Also, you'll peel and be a scaly monster for a good month then after that you'll have super smooth baby skin. Any one here with a similar experience? 

I've been thinking about buying Retin-A. It's not sold over the counter, right? I have to go with a dermatologist in order to get it? Also, I'm not sure if you have the answer but I'll ask anyway. Do you have to be a certain age to be able to use Retin-A? I'm in the 17-19 range and I'm not sure if that's too young. Thank you :). 

Edited by ETB5

I've been thinking about buying Retin-A. It's not sold over the counter, right? I have to go with a dermatologist in order to get it? Also, I'm not sure if you have the answer but I'll ask anyway. Do you have to be a certain age to be able to use Retin-A? I'm in the 17-19 range and I'm not sure if that's too young. Thank you :). 

I definitely have known friends that have started Retin-A at that age. I know it is marketed as an anti-aging treatment as well as an acne fighter but it can really be used in that age range. I will say that Retin-A seems to be most successful for those with mild-moderate acne, mostly caused by clogged pores. If you're acne is more cystic and hormonal in nature, it probably won't be as effective. Otherwise, it is a great addition to your skin care regimen. I plan on taking it for the rest of my life~ 

It is prescription only in the US I believe, but there are several online stores that sell from Canada that are reasonable in price and don't require a prescription.

Personally, I got mine during my latest visit to the Philippines where they sell one tube for 12 USD. I felt like I won the jackpot and bought a basket load. 

• Like 1

I definitely have known friends that have started Retin-A at that age. I know it is marketed as an anti-aging treatment as well as an acne fighter but it can really be used in that age range. I will say that Retin-A seems to be most successful for those with mild-moderate acne, mostly caused by clogged pores. If you're acne is more cystic and hormonal in nature, it probably won't be as effective. Otherwise, it is a great addition to your skin care regimen. I plan on taking it for the rest of my life~ 

It is prescription only in the US I believe, but there are several online stores that sell from Canada that are reasonable in price and don't require a prescription.

Personally, I got mine during my latest visit to the Philippines where they sell one tube for 12 USD. I felt like I won the jackpot and bought a basket load. 

:ahmagah:  :ahmagah: It seems like I would benefit from adding it to my skin care regimen. I'm eager to try it out but I think I'll have to buy non-comedogenic sunscreen as well. Thank you so much for the information :).

I keep thinking about cutting out sugar but who am I kidding? My sweet tooth is at a level that made my dentist sigh. I put three spoons of sugar in my coffee. How can I possibly stop?

I used to eat Twix for breakfast...  :._.:

Is there any way to combat pimples from monthly hormonal imbalance? Lije, I break out just before ovulation and before my period, it's really annoying.

Just discovered this thread and I need help guys.How to get rid of my dark eye circles? I sleep 6~8 hours a day, Im 17 and my skin is a light dark (I mean its not really dark to call it dark, but not really light to call it light) thnks!

Another cause for dark circles is food sensitivity. It might be a bit of a stretch but there's no harm in finding out if it could be the cause

Oh and I remember sometimes too much gluten or dairy will give you dark circles Edited by BABOGIRL

can anyone give me diy facemasks that actually work... I have a bad skin and diy facemasks seems better but I got to know what actually works. I heard using sugar for your skin as scrub is not good

I make my own. I swear by my bentonite clay and apple cider vinegar mask. It makes my skin just feel amazing!

These two are like my work horses. Skin care, hair care, etc

Especially apple cider vinegar: Hair, face, I drink it when sick... 

The problem: The smell. Strangely enough though, you even learn to love that. Okay, I lie but it's not as terrible. 

PS. They might both sting your face, they don't do so for me but my aunt was like damn, my face is stinging!! 

Edited by Ghettoe

Is there any way to combat pimples from monthly hormonal imbalance? Lije, I break out just before ovulation and before my period, it's really annoying.

Another cause for dark circles is food sensitivity. It might be a bit of a stretch but there's no harm in finding out if it could be the cause

Oh and I remember sometimes too much gluten or dairy will give you dark circles

Drinking green tea helps.

Stay away from dairy products.

Some birth control pills can either help or make it worse.

Stress can really affect your hormones negatively. 

I make my own. I swear by my bentonite clay and apple cider vinegar mask. It makes my skin just feel amazing!

These two are like my work horses. Skin care, hair care, etc

Especially apple cider vinegar: Hair, face, I drink it when sick... 

The problem: The smell. Strangely enough though, you even learn to love that. Okay, I lie but it's not as terrible. 

PS. They might both sting your face, they don't do so for me but my aunt was like damn, my face is stinging!! 

:omgwtf:

Drinking green tea helps.

Stay away from dairy products.

Some birth control pills can either help or make it worse.

Stress can really affect your hormones negatively. 

:omgwtf:

It is nature's gift to us. Get past the smell and I often ask myself what can't apple cider vinegar do? It is also your skin's PH so I don't need to worry about my routine and I can't live without it. 

I ran out and went into panic mode. 

It is nature's gift to us. Get past the smell and I often ask myself what can't apple cider vinegar do? It is also your skin's PH so I don't need to worry about my routine and I can't live without it. 

I ran out and went into panic mode. 

Nooo!

That throws off your skin's pH! You ruin your lipid layer leaving your skin much more prone to irritation. 

Nooo!

That throws off your skin's pH! You ruin your lipid layer leaving your skin much more prone to irritation. 

No, not apple cider vinegar. If you're thinking of white vinegar, then yes but not apple cider vinegar. It's actually well know that it regulates your PH. I know my stuff girl. 

I legit researched my skincare routine to a scary degree. 

Edited by Ghettoe

No, I'm not. I'm talking about apple cider vinegar. 

I have no idea where you got that from. I'd like to see the research behind that though.

PS. You've got to dilute the stuff though...

Edited by Ghettoe

can anyone give me diy facemasks that actually work... I have a bad skin and diy facemasks seems better but I got to know what actually works. I heard using sugar for your skin as scrub is not good

If you want oil control, play around with various types of clay (aztec, kaolin, etc.)

Green tea works well for oil control as well.

Rice powder is good for exfoliation purposes. Make sure it's finely ground.

Honey is good for moisture. Choose either organic or Manuka honey. And yes, no sugar on your face (completely fine as a body scrub, though). The grains are way too sharp for your face.

Can someone please help me with dealing comedonal acne (whiteheads) and suggest products, natural remedies or tips? I get plenty of them and it's always a pain.

I swear by Effaclar Duo. It clears up my face by no other. If that's too expensive, go with stridex.

I agree with Ghettoe (per usual :lol: ) ACV's completely fine. It's a lot milder than white vinegar. A 25% ACV and 75% water solution can do wonders. ACV's pH is also very close to the optimal pH for Salicylic Acid (3-4). Of course, YMMV. Patch test first.

I have no idea where you got that from. I'd like to see the research behind that though.

PS. You've got to dilute the stuff though...

I still wouldn't put it on even if it's diluted. People have had issues even with dilution. You run a risk of getting chemical burns by doing that. 

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0190962211022432

I still wouldn't put it on even if it's diluted. People have had issues even with dilution. You run a risk of getting chemical burns by doing that. 

I have to register to read it... Can you copy paste it? I'm genuinely curious about it but can't access it!  :horror:

I have to register to read it... Can you copy paste it? I'm genuinely curious about it but can't access it!  :horror:

I'm interested as well. Usually people burn their faces by applying undiluted ACV... :unsure:

I'm interested as well. Usually people burn their faces by applying undiluted ACV... :unsure:

Dafaq? (The dumb people didn't dilute it though.)

Please work, link.

I clicked LinkOut and the Elsevier Science thing.

Still not working.  :cry:

Oh, maybe it's because I have my university's VPN on. 

[spoiler] To the Editor: Chemical burns are often associated with strong acids such as sulfuric, nitric, and hydrochloric acids, but can occur with weaker acids such as acetic acid. 1 An 8-year-old boy with a history of Crohn’s disease and HLA-B27-positive spondyloarthropathy had developed multiple lesions of mollusca contagiosa on his left leg over several weeks. His medications were weekly methotrexate (15 mg for the past year) and more recently, 3 doses of adalimumab (40 mg every other week). The evening before presentation, in an attempt to treat the mollusca contagiosa, his mother applied cotton balls soaked in apple cider vinegar (∼5% acetic acid) to the left popliteal fossa and side of his left knee. Adhesive bandages were placed over the cotton balls and both were removed the next morning after approximately 8 hours of contact time.

At the time of application, the patient noted a burning sensation, and the next day there were areas of violet discoloration and tenderness of the left leg. The patient also had developed a low-grade fever (102.2°F). On physical examination, violaceous macules and patches were seen with the largest lesion located in the popliteal crease; the latter was linear with an irregular outline. A purple rim was noted around the white papules of mollusca contagiosa (Fig 1A). Given the history and that the most prominent lesion was in the area of greatest occlusion, irritant contact dermatitis/chemical burn was the leading diagnosis. Because of the low-grade fever and the possibility of soft-tissue infection, however, two skin biopsies were performed, one for routine histology and one for tissue culture.

1-s2.0-S0190962211022432-gr1.jpg
Fig 1. 

Chemical burn caused by topical acetic acid; clinical presentation and histologic features. A, Violaceous macules and patches in left popliteal fossa along with scattered dome-shaped white papules. Largest patch is oriented in linear fashion in popliteal crease and has irregular borders. There is a purple rim surrounding several white molluscum papules. B, Abrupt epidermal necrosis with neutrophils within its lower portion and underlying papillary dermis, along with fibrinoid vascular changes just below epidermal necrosis. C, Portion of epidermis is hyperplastic and displays intracytoplasmic eosinophilic inclusions (molluscum bodies) and acute necrosis. (B and C, Hematoxylin-eosin stain; original magnifications: B, ×20; C, Ã—10.)

Microscopic examination revealed abrupt epidermal necrosis with intraepidermal and papillary dermal neutrophils; fibrinoid changes of papillary dermal vessels were visible beneath the areas of epidermal necrosis (Fig 1B and C). Henderson-Paterson bodies were also present. Special stains, blood cultures, and tissue cultures all produced negative results.

Based on these findings, the patient was diagnosed with a chemical burn caused by topical apple cider vinegar. It is possible that there was less absorption of the acetic acid in the thickest portion of the mollusca contagiosa papules, leading to the purple rims. The chemical burns healed without intervention. The mollusca did not respond to the acetic acid therapy but subsequently resolved with topical cantharidin.

The US Food and Drug Administration mandates that vinegars contain a minimum of 4% acetic acid; however, the concentrations of acetic acid found in commercially available vinegars can range from 4% to 8%, depending on the exact source of the vinegar (Table I). Chemical burns secondary to topical application of vinegar have been rarely reported, but even ulceration has been observed.12 and 3 Of note, the undiluted form, glacial acetic acid, is available for purchase via the Internet and when applied, eg, as a self-administered facial chemical peel, has led to hypertrophic scarring.4 Given the increase in the use of alternative therapies for skin disorders, including the application of vinegar to warts, lice, and mollusca, chemical burns caused by acetic acid may increase in incidence. [/spoiler]