Forums Rules Staff Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
Sign in to follow this  
Nekci

The Official Skincare Thread (Read the OP)

Hey all ♥

Can anyone tell me whats the best FACIALmask for oily skin , ive tried a lot of masks but they are not good enough , i just hate my Oily skin so much !! ;'(

I like the boscia peel off masks. I find that a lot of sheet masks tend to break me out so I don't really use them anymore. ^^

I like the boscia peel off masks. I find that a lot of sheet masks tend to break me out so I don't really use them anymore. ^^

Im always aware from buying some masks , so i always try to make it with natural ingredients like Honey &  lemon & sometime i do turmeric & milk facial mask ♥

Oh ive never heard about that lol !! i think i have to try it !! :)

& thankx ♥ :smile:

Im always aware from buying some masks , so i always try to make it with natural ingredients like Honey &  lemon & sometime i do turmeric & milk facial mask ♥

Oh ive never heard about that lol !! i think i have to try it !! :)

& thankx ♥ :smile:

Lemon won't really do you anything. 

Lemon won't really do you anything. 

ah ! ive heard tHAT its good to get rid of Acnes !! :unsure:

ah ! ive heard tHAT its good to get rid of Acnes !! :unsure:

lemon's way too acidic and harsh for facial skin. i wont recommend it to anyone for any purpose

Hey all ♥

Can anyone tell me whats the best FACIALmask for oily skin , ive tried a lot of masks but they are not good enough , i just hate my Oily skin so much !! ;'(

I have a couple of recipes that might help, I made them for myself and my two daughters.

The first is a facial toner that helps treat blemishes and reduce oil. Mix 2 tablespoons of dry thyme with 4oz of witch hazel. Let it sit for about 4 days then strain out the thyme and put the infused witch hazel in a bottle. I add 10 drops of lemon tea tree oil and 10 drops of lavender oil. I apply this with a cotton pad every night after washing my face. 

Next is a spot treatment oil. Yes, an oil even for oily skin! Tamanu oil is antibacterial, anti-fungal, and has unique fatty acids which help regenerate skin cells and promote healing. You can use straight tamanu oil (spot treatments for those with very oily skin or all over for those with combo-dry skin) or mix in some other oils. I like to add a couple of drops of lemon tea tree. I use it all over my face at night because I have combination skin with some dry spots. I put a few drops on my fingers and massage it in really well, it does not leave a greasy feeling because it is rapidly absorbed. It does not make my sensitive skin break out and I can tell the next morning, dry areas around healing blemishes are softer and the old skin is easy to wash off, inflammation is reduced as well. If I have a trouble spot I apply the oil a few times a day with a q-tip and it speeds up the healing time. 

You can make a very good mask from clay, I prefer bentonite clay. You can mix it with apple cider vinegar or lemon juice, I prefer lemon juice because it doesn't smell as strong. I also add a couple of drops of lavender oil and tamanu oil. You can also add honey. Two tablespoons of clay + two tablespoons of liquid, mix it up and smear it on your face. Let it dry and then rinse it off. I prefer to rinse it off in the shower so I do this mask in the morning. 

Honey is a very good treatment for acne, you can use raw honey as a facial cleanser, it helps with oily skin. This is another one I prefer to use in the shower. 

Lemon juice is really only good for fading acne scars (I use it in the facial mask because it mixes better than water). The problem with trying to treat oily skin is if you continue to strip too much oil off your face it can backfire and make your skin produce more oil! It is hard to find a good balance.

If you want to try sheet masks I really like the Tony Moly I'm Real Tea Tree mask. It is skin soothing and I noticed less redness and irritation right away also there was enough serum in the packet to use for two days after using the mask. 

I have a couple of recipes that might help, I made them for myself and my two daughters.

The first is a facial toner that helps treat blemishes and reduce oil. Mix 2 tablespoons of dry thyme with 4oz of witch hazel. Let it sit for about 4 days then strain out the thyme and put the infused witch hazel in a bottle. I add 10 drops of lemon tea tree oil and 10 drops of lavender oil. I apply this with a cotton pad every night after washing my face. 

Next is a spot treatment oil. Yes, an oil even for oily skin! Tamanu oil is antibacterial, anti-fungal, and has unique fatty acids which help regenerate skin cells and promote healing. You can use straight tamanu oil (spot treatments for those with very oily skin or all over for those with combo-dry skin) or mix in some other oils. I like to add a couple of drops of lemon tea tree. I use it all over my face at night because I have combination skin with some dry spots. I put a few drops on my fingers and massage it in really well, it does not leave a greasy feeling because it is rapidly absorbed. It does not make my sensitive skin break out and I can tell the next morning, dry areas around healing blemishes are softer and the old skin is easy to wash off, inflammation is reduced as well. If I have a trouble spot I apply the oil a few times a day with a q-tip and it speeds up the healing time. 

You can make a very good mask from clay, I prefer bentonite clay. You can mix it with apple cider vinegar or lemon juice, I prefer lemon juice because it doesn't smell as strong. I also add a couple of drops of lavender oil and tamanu oil. You can also add honey. Two tablespoons of clay + two tablespoons of liquid, mix it up and smear it on your face. Let it dry and then rinse it off. I prefer to rinse it off in the shower so I do this mask in the morning. 

Honey is a very good treatment for acne, you can use raw honey as a facial cleanser, it helps with oily skin. This is another one I prefer to use in the shower. 

Lemon juice is really only good for fading acne scars (I use it in the facial mask because it mixes better than water). The problem with trying to treat oily skin is if you continue to strip too much oil off your face it can backfire and make your skin produce more oil! It is hard to find a good balance.

If you want to try sheet masks I really like the Tony Moly I'm Real Tea Tree mask. It is skin soothing and I noticed less redness and irritation right away also there was enough serum in the packet to use for two days after using the mask. 

Few things I have issues with:

Lemon juice is something you should never be putting on your face. 

Not a big fan of the apple cider vinegar either. 

I don't like the lavendar or tamanu oil because they're essential oils.

You can't trust every single DIY you see out there.

Few things I have issues with:

Lemon juice is something you should never be putting on your face. 

Not a big fan of the apple cider vinegar either. 

I don't like the lavendar or tamanu oil because they're essential oils.

You can't trust every single DIY you see out there.

*shrug* If you don't like it don't use it. At 34 years old I know how to research things before I put them on my sensitive skin and I am more than comfortable with these ingredients. I am very picky and I know these work for me. Tamanu oil is not an essential oil, it is from a seed and is thick like a nut oil. There are plenty of studies that back up the anecdotal evidence of it's skin healing properties. And I love lavender oil, I do not find it irritating even when used neat. Obviously if you have had a reaction to any EO oil you shouldn't use it. 

I know some people don't like lemon juice, some people swear by it, I think using a small amount once a month in a mask isn't going to ruin my skin. It makes the clay easier to mix than plain water. 

Is Cetaphil a good cleanser?

I know that it works for some people. You'll just have to try it out. 

*shrug* If you don't like it don't use it. At 34 years old I know how to research things before I put them on my sensitive skin and I am more than comfortable with these ingredients. I am very picky and I know these work for me. Tamanu oil is not an essential oil, it is from a seed and is thick like a nut oil. There are plenty of studies that back up the anecdotal evidence of it's skin healing properties. And I love lavender oil, I do not find it irritating even when used neat. Obviously if you have had a reaction to any EO oil you shouldn't use it. 

I know some people don't like lemon juice, some people swear by it, I think using a small amount once a month in a mask isn't going to ruin my skin. It makes the clay easier to mix than plain water. 

No, you're misunderstanding me. I'm not saying I don't like it because it doesn't work for me; those are bad things for your skin. I'm fine with admitting that I was wrong about the tamanu oil though.

http://youtu.be/4lrZqiqoZGA

A lot of these things will hurt you in the long run.

Edited by Nekci

I know that it works for some people. You'll just have to try it out. 

No, you're misunderstanding me. I'm not saying I don't like it because it doesn't work for me; those are bad things for your skin. I'm fine with admitting that I was wrong about the tamanu oil though.

http://youtu.be/4lrZqiqoZGA

A lot of these things will hurt you in the long run.

I understood you, I'm not trying to argue about it though, just pointing out that even among dermatologists there are disputes about using things like lemon juice and ACV on your face. Some say it is terrible, some recommend it and use it themselves. You can find conflicting information on just about anything and it's up to you to decide what you are willing to to try and what you think isn't worth it. 

I understood you, I'm not trying to argue about it though, just pointing out that even among dermatologists there are disputes about using things like lemon juice and ACV on your face. Some say it is terrible, some recommend it and use it themselves. You can find conflicting information on just about anything and it's up to you to decide what you are willing to to try and what you think isn't worth it. 

Okay, well I've seen dermatologists recommend people to do bad things to their skin too. Dermatologists are mostly here for skin diseases rather than skincare. Dermatologists have recommended for you to wash your face with alcohol which is absolutely horrible for your skin. 

Did you watch the video? 

Okay, well I've seen dermatologists recommend people to do bad things to their skin too. Dermatologists are mostly here for skin diseases rather than skincare. Dermatologists have recommended for you to wash your face with alcohol which is absolutely horrible for your skin. 

Did you watch the video? 

Yes, I did watch the video. When I starting looking at using  lemon juice over ACV (I found the ACV way too harsh) in my clay mask I found this article about not using lemon juice products, this one part though convinced me that using it once or twice a month as a mask mixed with clay, leaving it on for roughly 20 minutes and then washing it all off was not going to harm my skin. 

2- Its concentration: a little acidity is good for the skin, but stronger acidity turns the product into a peeling agent. That’s when you need to be careful. That said, there are many recipes out there that combine lemon juice with other products for the purpose of brightening the skin. Those I have nothing against, as long as the other ingredients are also healthy. This is, in effect, brining down the acidity (or brining up the pH) of the lemon juice, which would make it milder.

Yes, I did watch the video. When I starting looking at using  lemon juice over ACV (I found the ACV way too harsh) in my clay mask I found this article about not using lemon juice products, this one part though convinced me that using it once or twice a month as a mask mixed with clay, leaving it on for roughly 20 minutes and then washing it all off was not going to harm my skin. 

No, both the lemon and the ACV will interfere with your skin's natural pH which will then evaporate your lipid layer which leads your skin to be much more vulnerable to things irritation and dermatitis. When your skin becomes irritated, it's more prone to things like acne and hyperpigmentation. 

That website started out as a WordPress blog. Do you really think that's considered to be credible? 

How well does clindamycin phosphate gel (1%) work? Also does it need to be prescribed in the US?

to OP, i've noticed we use the same facial mask. i was under the assumption that these kind of mask were only done once a week at most, is it okay to use every other day like you said? :o

to OP, i've noticed we use the same facial mask. i was under the assumption that these kind of mask were only done once a week at most, is it okay to use every other day like you said? :o

I get pretty lazy when it comes to masks, so I don't usually do that. Everyone's skin has a different tolerance. My skin has a tendency to get pretty oily which is why 98% of the time, I only apply it to the areas of my skin that get oily. 

Hey everyone!

I have sensitive + combination skin (worst skin type, in my opinion; I couldn't use benzoyl peroxide 0.5% without a bout of stinging and redness :._.: ). I would like to know the way you guys usually exfoliate your skin, if you guys use any exfoliating products and if so, which ones worked best for you.

My skin tends to get pretty irritated with exfoliation so I would like to know some tips.

Thanks a lot!

Edited by 鹿.晗

Hey everyone!

I have sensitive + combination skin (worst skin type, in my opinion; I couldn't use benzoyl peroxide 0.5% without a bout of stinging and redness :._.: ). I would like to know the way you guys usually exfoliate your skin, if you guys use any exfoliating products and if so, which ones worked best for you.

My skin tends to get pretty irritated with exfoliation so I would like to know some tips.

Thanks a lot!

How much of the benzoyl product did you use? But then again, if you've got sensitive skin, any benzoyl peroxide might be too harsh.

I'm using a scrub right now, but my dumbass only skimmed the ingredients  before buying it only to find that it contains fragrance. And scrubs aren't that effective when it comes to exfoliation anyways. Basically, I can't recommend you anything at the moment. 

You could be exfoliating too roughly. Contrary to popular belief, you need to exfoliate gently. Start with a low strength AHA or BHA and work your way up. I'd probably recommend you (in case if anyone else is reading, I'm only referring to this person specifically) using a BHA more so than an AHA. If you do use a scrub, you're only supposed to use it about once a week. Exfoliating too much, in general, is bad and varies from person to person for how often one can do it. 

Hey guys! 

I have been a lot of getting dark circles lately due to stress and lack of sleep. Can you recommend any products that might help? 

Thank you! 

Hey everyone!

Thanks a lot!

I'm gonna go against Niki's grain here :lol:

I wouldn't recommend any scrubs at all. If your skin is sensitive, physical exfoliants are the worst way to go. Chemical exfoliants are way better (but most of the high-performing ones are quite expensive). If you can handle menthol, stridex may work for you. Start with the green box and work up to the red box (or just use the one in the red box once every 3 days until your skin adjusts). It has salicylic acid, which is BHA.

I wouldn't recommend benzoyl peroxide at all if you have sensitive skin. It's extremely drying. 

As for AHA exfoliants, I love the Olay resurfacing elixir. It is fragrance and oil free (and has no alcohol I think) so it should be fine on your skin. My skin breaks out at a lot of things but this works amazing on me :ahmagah:

I would also recommend you getting a mask. My favorite is REN glyco lactic mask, but it is expensive. It does wonders for my skin though - it lightened my acne scars significantly.

Hey guys! 

I have been a lot of getting dark circles lately due to stress and lack of sleep. Can you recommend any products that might help? 

Thank you! 

You can't really 'cure' dark circles. The best thing to do is drink a lot of water and sleep a lot. People say licorice extract and vitamin k helps with lightening dark circles, so you can try that. People also say good things about Origin's Mr. Doctor eye cream.

For both of you, patch test first before you put anything on your entire face/eye area :)

• Like 1

I'm gonna go against Niki's grain here :lol:

I wouldn't recommend any scrubs at all. If your skin is sensitive, physical exfoliants are the worst way to go. Chemical exfoliants are way better (but most of the high-performing ones are quite expensive). If you can handle menthol, stridex may work for you. Start with the green box and work up to the red box (or just use the one in the red box once every 3 days until your skin adjusts). It has salicylic acid, which is BHA.

I wouldn't recommend benzoyl peroxide at all if you have sensitive skin. It's extremely drying. 

As for AHA exfoliants, I love the Olay resurfacing elixir. It is fragrance and oil free (and has no alcohol I think) so it should be fine on your skin. My skin breaks out at a lot of things but this works amazing on me :ahmagah:

I would also recommend you getting a mask. My favorite is REN glyco lactic mask, but it is expensive. It does wonders for my skin though - it lightened my acne scars significantly.

You can't really 'cure' dark circles. The best thing to do is drink a lot of water and sleep a lot. People say licorice extract and vitamin k helps with lightening dark circles, so you can try that. People also say good things about Origin's Mr. Doctor eye cream.

For both of you, patch test first before you put anything on your entire face/eye area :)

Like I said, I don't strongly recommend scrubs since they don't work very well. 

Thank you to goddess1 and Nekci for your replies!! I'll taken your tips into account. ^^
Have you guys tried exfoliation with a washcloth or something similar before? Do you think it's suitable for my type of skin? Edited by 鹿.晗

Thank you to goddess1 and Nekci for your replies!! I'll taken your tips into account. ^^
Have you guys tried exfoliation with a washcloth or something similar before? Do you think it's suitable for my type of skin?

Using a washcloth is another why to do physical exfoliation without having to buy any new products (unless you don't own one for some reason). Just use your cleanser with it. I think it should be fine.

Have you guys tried exfoliation with a washcloth or something similar before? Do you think it's suitable for my type of skin?

Ehh... washcloths are YMMV - it works for some but not for others.

I remember when I was being overzealous with wiping my face w/ a washcloth and broke some capillaries on my nose. I can still see some traces if I look carefully today.

Case in point - don't wipe your face too hard with washcloths. I also wouldn't call them 'exfoliating' because if you want to use washclothes for that purpose, there's a good possibility that you will wipe your face too harshly.

Muslim washclothes are by far the most gentle, so look into them ^^

I personally use a face brush to take out dead skin cells twice weekly. Any more and my face would be a mess OTL