Forums Rules Staff Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
Sign in to follow this  
Nekci

The Official Skincare Thread (Read the OP)

Does anyone have a moisturizer they swear by?

I recently over-dried my skin using multiple products (cleansers + toners)

and I need a good moisturizer to bring back moisture on my cheeks.

However, I've tried some moisturizers and they've made me break out

so I guess I'm pretty much asking from people with acne prone skin. 

Some info about me:

I have combination skin. 

I mainly break out on my cheeks and occasionally my chin.

My acne is a mix between papules/pustules I guess.

My acne is mild right now (it can get at the cusp of moderate)

My cheeks are pretty sensitive right now but I used to not have sensitive skin at all.

I have been having a lot of luck with aloe. I bought the Aubrey Organics brand because it had the least amount of additives, it has no thickeners and is basically what you would get straight out of the plant. I use it twice a day and it has improved my skin so much. It helps heal blemishes and has an instant soothing effect on inflammation. If you need something more intensive I love Clinique's yellow moisturizer.  

I've used some high percentage aloe vera but that product seems better because it has Vitamin E. I might try it thanks. However, I have heard that aloe vera products are drying for some people and I noticed that when I used a product that had 92% aloe vera. While it reduced inflammation and redness, it just wasn't moisturizing enough. I would definitely recommend aloe vera to people with oily skin because it controlled my oily T-zone.

Clinque's Yellow Moisturizer is expensive and many reviews say that the thing that makes it yellow is comedogenic. :\

A good cheaper option is the Neutrogena oil free moisturizer for sensitive skin. 

Hey all ♥

Can anyone tell me whats the best FACIALmask for oily skin , ive tried a lot of masks but they are not good enough , i just hate my Oily skin so much !! ;'(

I have a couple of recipes that might help, I made them for myself and my two daughters.

The first is a facial toner that helps treat blemishes and reduce oil. Mix 2 tablespoons of dry thyme with 4oz of witch hazel. Let it sit for about 4 days then strain out the thyme and put the infused witch hazel in a bottle. I add 10 drops of lemon tea tree oil and 10 drops of lavender oil. I apply this with a cotton pad every night after washing my face. 

Next is a spot treatment oil. Yes, an oil even for oily skin! Tamanu oil is antibacterial, anti-fungal, and has unique fatty acids which help regenerate skin cells and promote healing. You can use straight tamanu oil (spot treatments for those with very oily skin or all over for those with combo-dry skin) or mix in some other oils. I like to add a couple of drops of lemon tea tree. I use it all over my face at night because I have combination skin with some dry spots. I put a few drops on my fingers and massage it in really well, it does not leave a greasy feeling because it is rapidly absorbed. It does not make my sensitive skin break out and I can tell the next morning, dry areas around healing blemishes are softer and the old skin is easy to wash off, inflammation is reduced as well. If I have a trouble spot I apply the oil a few times a day with a q-tip and it speeds up the healing time. 

You can make a very good mask from clay, I prefer bentonite clay. You can mix it with apple cider vinegar or lemon juice, I prefer lemon juice because it doesn't smell as strong. I also add a couple of drops of lavender oil and tamanu oil. You can also add honey. Two tablespoons of clay + two tablespoons of liquid, mix it up and smear it on your face. Let it dry and then rinse it off. I prefer to rinse it off in the shower so I do this mask in the morning. 

Honey is a very good treatment for acne, you can use raw honey as a facial cleanser, it helps with oily skin. This is another one I prefer to use in the shower. 

Lemon juice is really only good for fading acne scars (I use it in the facial mask because it mixes better than water). The problem with trying to treat oily skin is if you continue to strip too much oil off your face it can backfire and make your skin produce more oil! It is hard to find a good balance.

If you want to try sheet masks I really like the Tony Moly I'm Real Tea Tree mask. It is skin soothing and I noticed less redness and irritation right away also there was enough serum in the packet to use for two days after using the mask. 

Few things I have issues with:

Lemon juice is something you should never be putting on your face. 

Not a big fan of the apple cider vinegar either. 

I don't like the lavendar or tamanu oil because they're essential oils.

You can't trust every single DIY you see out there.

*shrug* If you don't like it don't use it. At 34 years old I know how to research things before I put them on my sensitive skin and I am more than comfortable with these ingredients. I am very picky and I know these work for me. Tamanu oil is not an essential oil, it is from a seed and is thick like a nut oil. There are plenty of studies that back up the anecdotal evidence of it's skin healing properties. And I love lavender oil, I do not find it irritating even when used neat. Obviously if you have had a reaction to any EO oil you shouldn't use it. 

I know some people don't like lemon juice, some people swear by it, I think using a small amount once a month in a mask isn't going to ruin my skin. It makes the clay easier to mix than plain water. 

I know that it works for some people. You'll just have to try it out. 

No, you're misunderstanding me. I'm not saying I don't like it because it doesn't work for me; those are bad things for your skin. I'm fine with admitting that I was wrong about the tamanu oil though.

http://youtu.be/4lrZqiqoZGA

A lot of these things will hurt you in the long run.

I understood you, I'm not trying to argue about it though, just pointing out that even among dermatologists there are disputes about using things like lemon juice and ACV on your face. Some say it is terrible, some recommend it and use it themselves. You can find conflicting information on just about anything and it's up to you to decide what you are willing to to try and what you think isn't worth it. 

Okay, well I've seen dermatologists recommend people to do bad things to their skin too. Dermatologists are mostly here for skin diseases rather than skincare. Dermatologists have recommended for you to wash your face with alcohol which is absolutely horrible for your skin. 

Did you watch the video? 

Yes, I did watch the video. When I starting looking at using  lemon juice over ACV (I found the ACV way too harsh) in my clay mask I found this article about not using lemon juice products, this one part though convinced me that using it once or twice a month as a mask mixed with clay, leaving it on for roughly 20 minutes and then washing it all off was not going to harm my skin. 

2- Its concentration: a little acidity is good for the skin, but stronger acidity turns the product into a peeling agent. That’s when you need to be careful. That said, there are many recipes out there that combine lemon juice with other products for the purpose of brightening the skin. Those I have nothing against, as long as the other ingredients are also healthy. This is, in effect, brining down the acidity (or brining up the pH) of the lemon juice, which would make it milder.

Hey guys, I just got a bottle of 100% pure jojoba oil.....how should I use it? I tried to remove my make-up with it but when I try to wash it off with water, it leaves this oily residue and film on my face. Also it says on the bottle that it is great for clogged skin, how would the oil help? 

Also so I have this super annoying hole on my cheek, like whenever I squeeze the nasty stuff out (it is like a solid plug) it leaves this like hole in my face :cry: . And then the next day the hole is filled up again, like I try to leave it alone but it just gets really gross and it turns into this bump and the stuff inside of it oxidizes and turns black/gray. I don't know what to do, I don't want to squeeze it and get broken cappilaries but the bump is so annoying and the hole is huge like it isn't like a pore but more like an actual hole!! 

Thanks in advance for the help cuties!  :chu: 

Have you seen the Nexcare pimple stickers? They are nothing more than a gel bandage that protects the wound and also draws out the fluid. I find they work wonders overnight on big blemishes and they also keep you from picking at them and gives them time to heal. 

I'm gonna go against Niki's grain here :lol:

I wouldn't recommend any scrubs at all. If your skin is sensitive, physical exfoliants are the worst way to go. Chemical exfoliants are way better (but most of the high-performing ones are quite expensive). If you can handle menthol, stridex may work for you. Start with the green box and work up to the red box (or just use the one in the red box once every 3 days until your skin adjusts). It has salicylic acid, which is BHA.

I wouldn't recommend benzoyl peroxide at all if you have sensitive skin. It's extremely drying. 

As for AHA exfoliants, I love the Olay resurfacing elixir. It is fragrance and oil free (and has no alcohol I think) so it should be fine on your skin. My skin breaks out at a lot of things but this works amazing on me :ahmagah:

I would also recommend you getting a mask. My favorite is REN glyco lactic mask, but it is expensive. It does wonders for my skin though - it lightened my acne scars significantly.

I was looking for a gentle exfoliant for my daughter that has problem skin and I found the St. Ives exfoliating pads with AHA. They are only $4 for 60 so I bought some, we'll see how they work. She already uses a lotion with salicylic acid so I didn't want to over do it with the Stridex pads although she has used them in the past. 

I love AmazonPrime, other things I have coming are Shiseido Perfect Whip cleanser, Daiso Charcoal peel off mask, and for me The Face Shop Rice Water Bright Cleansing foam. (and hair color since I have several new grey hairs popping up  :cry: )

Hey guys so I recently started washing my face with organic honey in the mornings and OMG I AM SO IN LOVE :chu: !! It isn't sticky at all and it makes my skin feel so soft!! I just wet my face and use like 1/2 tablespoon of honey in the palms of my hands and just wash my face with it. Sometimes, I live it on my face for 2-3 minutes and wash it off and it helps moisturize and brighten it a bit. I have oily skin and it could be b.c the weather here as been pretty nice but my skin produces less oil these days. You guys should try it out but just FYI use only ORGANIC HONEY, it doesn't matter if the honey is all natural you need to use organic since that means that the bees aren't sprayed with pesticide and it is better for your skin and the honeybees. Also I use cold water to wash the honey off and to wet my face b.c I feel that sometimes hot water and even warm water makes my face kinda red and dehydrated a bit and since the honey has moisturizing properties I just use cold water. Also I only wash my face with honey in the morning because at night I have too much stuff on my face that pure honey can't take off (ex: sunblock, make-up, etc.).

I am also thinking about trying Manuka Honey since it is supposed to be even better for your skin!! But let me know what you guys think of this honey cleanser!!  :smile: 

I use local raw honey, $9 a quart seems high for honey but cheap for face wash! I usually use it in the morning so I can rinse it off in the shower. You also just reminded me that I have an Innisfree manuka honey sheet mask I need to use. 

What about the other Etude products? Like I was thinking about getting the Malgem Smoother toner? I know that there masks are kinda dry but I think that their BB cushion isn't too bad.

My daughter loves Etude House AC Clinic foam cleanser and red spot balm. It's the only thing that keeps her breakouts to a minimum. If she runs out then bam, red spots all across her cheeks, then within 2-3 days of using it again she clears right up. 

is the balm the one where it is a pink bottle where you are not supposed to mix the powder?

That's the pink powder spot, the balm is a white cream in a little glass jar. 

One thing about back acne, make sure you wash your back after you wash and condition your hair.

• Like 2

I've got a red, flaky scalp and the prescription shampoo my dermatologist gave me seems to have stopped working. I heard it is a good idea to rotate different dandruff shampoos. Selsun Blue and Head and Shoulders don't seem to work for me. I am looking for alternatives. Has anyone tried Neutrogena T-Gel?

Aveda Scalp Benefits balancing shampoo. It's kind of expensive for me so I alternate it with Ogx Australian Teatree shampoo or even the Ogx Teatree Mint shampoo works ok for me. 

well stridex is a BHA, so the low-cost AHA that's usually recommended over at /r/skincareaddiction is St.Ives scrub free exfoliating pads. Where are you located? If you can't find these things at drugstores, etc., you might order online. 

I got the St. Ives pads on amazon for less than $5. 

helllo everybody!
i wanna ask what cream or mask would u recommend for acne scars? i always had them and i have them on my upper cheeks and forehead.
my skin is pretty sensitive and apparently my skin reacts well with natural remedies.
i only cleanse my face twice day and mosturize once a day lol
i dont use alot of drug store products because they tend to dry out my skin or they r just not good lol.
Soo what natural remedies would u guys recommend for acne scars lol
and these scars are old and ive been trying to find good acne scars remedy but no luck D:

Have you tried a good vitamin C serum? I use the Kiss My Face Ester C. 

I also really like the Leaders Insolution Vita Bright sheet mask, it really helps with newer red marks, I don't know about the long term effects on older scars because I have only used it a couple of times but I loved the way my skin looks and feels afterward. They also have an AC-Dressing one that is supposed to really help acne marks but I haven't tried it. I buy mine from beauteque.com. 

• Like 1

Is that product actually good? I know vitamin C is very good for ur skin lol but i dont want to damage my face or anything sooo i know its actually worth buying it lmao

And those mask u recommended is it only available online?? lol

You really can't go wrong with vitamin C serums and Kiss My Face is a very reliable brand that doesn't use parabens, phthalates etc. 

I don't know about the masks, I live in a tiny town in the mountains far away from any big cities so I do most of my shopping online, if you live close to Korean stores you might could find them. 

• Like 1

Oh haha but would u recommend buying those masks on the website u told me?

http://beauteque.com/

Or what other websites u would recommend to buy those masks?

I'm not sure they have the AC dressing one, I know they have the vita bright, they are in the US so you don't have to wait for overseas shipping. Amazon has some but they are more expensive. 

Random do u guys know a good store online to buy the Leaders Insolution Mask AC Dressing? lol I wanna know bc I'm having a hard time finding one and a cheap one because I found one on eBay that costed $20 for one mask .___.

^Also, I would like to ask about using makeup,
I use sponges to put foundation on my face and how many times would u recommend to clean those sponges? and how many months or days do you use the sponges until u throw it away?
And is it OK to clean the sponges by using hand soap? or as you've said to use alcohol to clean sponges lol

iMomoko has them $1.99 and they ship from the US. Might want to get a few things though since shipping is like 5.99. 

Nah I'd never hear the end of it if I wore makeup. NGL if it was socially acceptable I'd be the first one to do it but it's kinda not and I'd rather not draw that kinda attention to myself.

There are some really sheer bb creams that would work for a guy. Also try a face scrub a couple of times a week, use a bit of baking soda mixed into a paste with water or milk. It helps makes them lighter. 

Not a good idea.

Oh yeah, forgot about the "natural" skin care police on here. lol 

I only ever used baking soda on my chin, not sensitive areas like my cheeks or around my eyes. You can use something else though like oats that you have ground in your blender. Yogurt or milk mixed into a paste, gently scrub, let it sit for a few minutes then rinse. 

I was thinking a CC cream would actually be better for a guy, they have very light coverage but are great for large pores or minor blemishes. 

Edited by KrazyAjumma

It doesn't matter where you use it on your face.

Guys don't have larger pores than women. It's not even something that's typical among men. Men typically have oilier and thicker skin.

No, I meant CC cream would be better because it does a good job of covering small problems like sebaceous filaments, large pores and black heads, but isn't as thick as some BB creams so it might be a better option for a guy that didn't want to look like he was wearing makeup. 

Hello girl I've never met before, do you know what to do to have an even facial skin tone. I don't have any severe hyper pigmentation, but I think it can look better.

I'm not Nekci but I would look for products with arbutin. I have very fair skin and after my last pregnancy I had melasma, hyperpigmentation on my cheekbones and around my eyes. Last year I started using more Korean skin care products, many of which contain arbutin, and I noticed that it helped a lot. Now that I know what is helping I use a sheet mask like Leaders Vita Bright or Lioele Perfect Brightening once a week or so, there is enough serum left in the pack for me to use for a couple of days under my regular moisturizer. At night I use Mizon's Good Night White sleeping pack. During the day I use It's Skin Power 10 Formula GF Effector which is for sensitive skin and I love it but next I want to try the LI formula which has licorice for lightening freckles or the WH formula that has arbutin. 

I get large pimples during ovulation/before period. i don't think there ever is a preventive solution to that FML i might have to deal with it (and the subsequent spots) forever 

I get one or two hard, painful bumps on my neck before my period, I have found the hydrocolloid patches (nexcare etc) work really well for them. If I'm out of patches I start using the Neutrogena fight and fade gel as soon as I notice one coming on they don't get as inflamed and heal faster. 

As I understand, i'll continue my facial treatment this weekend..

Scenario 1: If it's get better, should I buy a cleanser? 'Cause my classmates always recommend me diff. varieties of cleanser. (Since you know, for cleansing) Also, should I also buy a moisturizer? What products do you recommend?

Scenario 2: What if the facial treatment doesn't do anything good? Like it stays like my old face and doesn't clear. Do you recommend any products?

Anyways, as I mentioned some 'beauty products' earlier, what do you think is the best? Not like I'm going to use it or something, I just want to know your opinion. Or any products that are useful. Also, currently, do you yse any products?
(Please don't think too much. I just want to know your opinion to what will happen and what are the products that are useful.)

Thank you very much, by the way. You are such a good help. :D

I have been buying a lot of products lately to help my daughter who has trouble skin, what really works for her is Innisfree Jejubija anti trouble cleansing gel. It is a very basic cleanser, good pH level, doesn't dry you out either. We use Mizon Snail Repair gel for a daytime moisturizer but the Innisfree Jejubija anti-trouble moisturizer is good too. I would also suggest the red box Stridex pads or the Korean COSRX BHA Skin Returning A-sol which you can use on your trouble areas. If you were on the tretinoin before and it helped you should look into that again. Another recommendation would be the Benton Snail Bee High Content Skin which is a hydrating toner good for reducing blemishes and healing existing ones. 

Edited by KrazyAjumma

hello innisfree ordering dumpling-faces :ohla:  :ohbi:

has anyone gotten their sample of the green tea line yet? bc i haven't and because there was no 'track order' button, i started a chat with like customer service to ask where it is

lmao they asked if they could speak to me in chinese, and I happen to know Chinese.   :ohbi:  :ohla:   lol anyway they were like 'oh we sent the sample kits in big batches once or twice, and we just happened to send one yesterday' which i know could be a big lie because i say that to my parents about coming home late  :ohbi:  :ohla:  :ohla:  :ohbi: maybe they're like totally rushing to send it to me now.  they said it'll take around 1-3 weeks for my order to arrive.  finally.  after one month

I got mine like 2 weeks ago! But I also ordered some masks and used my first time customer code to get free EMS shipping. hahaha

Sign in to follow this