Forums Rules Staff NEW Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
Nekci

The Official Skincare Thread (Read the OP)

Tried anything and everything from over the counter products to whatever the dermatologist prescribed until finally, I was put on Accutanehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isotretinoin ) for a year and it completely cleared up my skin as though I never had acne at all.

I haven't had a breakout since. But ... last I heard is they took it off the market because the potential side-effects are pretty severe and the pharmaceutical company got sued ... A LOT.

*sigh* the memories...  -_-   how did you deal with the scarring?

I was lucky enough to have hardly any, people are always surprised to learn that I had acne at all.... but my skin took a reaaaally long time to stop being extremely sensitive to the sun : /

Yeah, that's what I meant by last I heard.

You didn't take it longer than a few months?

ahhh you didn't get the initial breakout? LUCKY

those first few months were the darkest moments of my life (skin wise)

does essence = serum? can anyone recommend a good product (i think i have combination-dry skin)

Had to look it up since I don't use either. No, they're not the same thing. Essence concentrates on one specific thing such as skin whitening, hydration or acne care. Serum is just a higher concentrated form. 

http://www.wishtrend.com/glam/korean-skincare-products/

Combination skin is when your skin is both dry and oily. An example is when your T-zone is oily, but the rest of your face is dry. 

Just check my OP for my skin type; that's the only thing I can recommend. If yours matches closely to mine, it's more likely that you'll have similar results. 

thanks.

seems like we have the same skin type. does your skin work fine with using mask every other day? i only use it every sunday, then scrub 3x a week.

Not for long, because my skin doesn't like chemical products, so I don't usually anything on my skin except moisturizer. Not even makeup; I always go bare-faced.

I already knew everything I have to know about hormonal acne but just want to see if there is anyone here who has made real success with treating hormonal acne. Thanks anyway!

ive tried almost everything and the only thing that worked was accutane. but i don't recommend it. if you can avoid it, then good.

LOL i thought you were referring to tea tree skin care products. Of course I do drink tea and wash my face everyday, but it doesn't help.

The thing is, I have a mild case (I hope) of liver stones so maybe that's why my liver is not very good at detoxifying; hence, all the pimples. 

How dangerous is accutane? I am very cautious about going on medication now for fear of messing up my skin even more.

accutane was a last resort for me since i got really frustrated

my skin got really really dry as a side effect and i had to take regular checkups for my liver. since you mentioned your liver isn't in good condition, then don't take it

and in the 6 months that i took it i broke out REALLY BADLY for about 4-5 months. And it was really bad, my esteem died a few times. there were times i doubted the effectiveness of the product but it was just part of the ride. 

that was 3 years ago and my skin is okay now with the occasional pimple or two during TOM (can't be helped)

is there an effective acne scar product i can get at a local drugstore (shopper's, rexall etc) i looked for that garnier sakura and it seems like it's only available in asia

asian products aren't easily accessible here in gta (pacific mall is like 1.5 hrs away, i can't go there as often as i'd want to)

Recommend me a cheap, yet good, drugstore product/face mask for blackheads T.T 

I use the St. Ives mineral clay mask and Freeman chocolate-strawberry clay mask. both from walmart. I have no complaints whatsoever.

on a related note, the face shop at eaton centre had a promo for sheet masks last weekend, buy 10 get 5 free  :ahmagah:

how do snail creams work? do you recommend them? also can anyone recommend me an essence and night cream? basically i just wanna reduce my blemishes and prevent pimples if possible. i have combination-dry skin. there's tonymoly, missha, holika2, the face shop around me

I am not sure how snail creams work but I think it is just that the slime from snails are very good for dry skin, acne, and wrinkles. If you try a snail cream for your blemishes try this one:

I have never used it before but it is very popular in the international market and it is super cheap as well. 

I am trying this essence out and so far I like it, when I make a full review on it on my blog, I will give you the full details on it~

All of my night creams are for oily skin but I heard good reviews on the Etude House Collagen line which is good for dry skin and Shinee's Onew also uses it~ 

The Face Shop has nice face masks which can help moisturize your skin as well as help with your acne. 

And LORD YOU DO LIVE IN HEAVEN........all those stores  :la:

i think you forgot to write the products you were gonna recommend, the snail cream and essence

those stores are like an hour away from me though, it's a bit of a ride so i don't go there as often (as i'd want)

I recommend Benton's snail bee essence they also have a steam cream I have not tried but people seem to love it. 

i will look into this thanks

the Benton seems really promising... hopefully they sell it here

also what's a good AC product you guys recommend?

yay okay! :meow:

mizon's a good brand - their snail slime cream's really good!

i'll look into it as well~

Ahhhh I am so sorry the pictures didn't show up....I edited it now so you should be able to see it now!! Sowwy~  :._.:

no worries!! 

i switched to green tea toner as per someone's suggestion here... and i think it's working  :stare:  my acne spots look lighter now and my face just feels and looks better overall. 

i also started using neostrata spot lightener at the same time so i'm not sure which product is more effective... but less pimples now and when i did have them i didn't get ugly dark blemishes like before

Aw yayai. i expected nothing when first using green tea toner. i just wanted to tone, that's it. but wow at the results !

idk maybe it's just placebo? but i did notice my blemishes getting lighter i swear.

ahh I did not know the price, but look for shiseido or kanebo's sub-brands they can be cheaper 

what are the sub brands?

someone recommended Nonco Tea Tree Emulsion to me and I got it since it's only $8. anyone tried it before?

regarding sunscreens

do you just look at the SPF or do you check if it has the "PA+++" thing. apparently that means maximum protection or something. i haven't really looked into it, someone just told me

i was looking up sunscreens the other day and Shiseido has that PA+++ on their products 

31ZKy6t-AhL.jpg

however when i went to Sephora (i also checked the Bay) the bottles didn't have it. So I didn't buy...

Buy spray sunscreens designed for the face. Apply that and blot your face afterwards :D

I really wouldn't recommend this sunscreen if you have combination to oily skin. You will literally look like a disco ball within a few hours, especially in summer. I bought this last year for summer, and it clogged my pores terribly so I had to give it to my mom. I would recommend the sunscreen in the blue bottle if you use sunscreen for sports, but my personal fav sunscreen from Shiseido is the urban oil-free one.

i only used that pic to show the PA+++ thing. But thanks for your suggestion, i'll def. keep it in mind. 

Would you say that the contents are different if the one online has that PA thing but the ones in-stores doesn't?

Sab, if you're outside ALL day, you need to be reapplying every two hours. Sunscreen is good for two hours of total sun exposure. I've seen people say that using a primer underneath helps, but your issue might just be the nature of being outside all day.

Is there any reason you don't want to change sunscreens?

http://imgur.com/a/MeZa7#0

This might help explain the PA thing to you. PPD is the same thing, it's just what it's called in Europe. PA+++ is equivalent to PPD 8-16.

i don't think we have that PPD thing here on product labels in Canada..

can anyone recommend a good AHA product? there's no stridex here, i've looked around

thanks!

well stridex is a BHA, so the low-cost AHA that's usually recommended over at /r/skincareaddiction is St.Ives scrub free exfoliating pads. Where are you located? If you can't find these things at drugstores, etc., you might order online. 

i thought it's bha + aha -_- silly

i live in canada and i'd probably be able to get stuff online if i can't get them locally.. i'd like more suggestions if anyone knows what's good?

Olay is easily accessible to you, right? Their night resurfacing elixir isn't too shabby. I feel that results would happen faster if I used a product from Alpha Hydrox or Paula's Choice but I'm pretty happy with the elixir. I had sensitive skin (it's normal now) and it didn't break me out during that period. It also faded a lot of my acne scars. You can give that a try if you don't like ordering online and such :)

I'll try to look for the Olay one, hopefully it works for me. Is it leave on, or wash off?

Paula's choice seems to be popular. .. my friend uses it herself and her skin is pretty good.

Is there any way to combat pimples from monthly hormonal imbalance? Lije, I break out just before ovulation and before my period, it's really annoying.

Just discovered this thread and I need help guys.How to get rid of my dark eye circles? I sleep 6~8 hours a day, Im 17 and my skin is a light dark (I mean its not really dark to call it dark, but not really light to call it light) thnks!

Another cause for dark circles is food sensitivity. It might be a bit of a stretch but there's no harm in finding out if it could be the cause

Oh and I remember sometimes too much gluten or dairy will give you dark circles Edited by BABOGIRL

neostrata 10% glycolic acid was on sale today so i bought. anyone had it before?

I get large pimples during ovulation/before period. i don't think there ever is a preventive solution to that FML i might have to deal with it (and the subsequent spots) forever