Forums Rules Staff Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
Nekci

The Official Skincare Thread (Read the OP)

not much 

just the right amount in the morning and night 

your skin is probably too sensitive to handle benzoyl peroxide...

does salicylic acid not work?

first of all, you might be overwashing your face and your face gets too dry... then your skin will overcompensate with more oil, making you flare up even more

try to not wash your face as much and moisturize

ummm don't take my experience for fact, but boscia and lush cleared up my face completely... they're expensive though :/

lifestyle is the most important and i'm pretty sure the ppl before me already talked about it so i'm not going to bore you more ^^

LOL i thought you were referring to tea tree skin care products. Of course I do drink tea and wash my face everyday, but it doesn't help.

The thing is, I have a mild case (I hope) of liver stones so maybe that's why my liver is not very good at detoxifying; hence, all the pimples. 

How dangerous is accutane? I am very cautious about going on medication now for fear of messing up my skin even more.

accutane is bad bad bad

don't take it if you can help it

i mean it helps with zits and everything... but accutane can also cause severe birth defects

I was just wondering to those Girls (or Guys) who wear make up and suffer with acne/bad skin in general how often do you wash your brushes/when to throw away sponges and what do you wash yours in? I tend to wash mine every other day unless they are super dirty and throw a sponge away once i've used it 2/3 times, because recently my skin has been horrendous and I haven't changed my skin routine/no change in diet anything so it must be something to do with my brushes. 

hmmm... maybe hormones?  :unsure:

i wash both my brushes and my beautyblender once a week and haven't really had any acne problems resulting from my laziness

i mean, washing your brushes often won't hurt either

I have a feeling that this has been asked before :P but what is the best way to get rid of acne scars?

Please share what has worked best for you, thanks. ^^

another brightening line i would recommend is diorsnow

Does anyone here have chicken skin?

How do you guys deal with it :\

like on the arms?

the mest method would be to moisturize and exfoliate at least twice a week!

I guess I'll just post up my skincare routine and see if it helps anyone? Firstly, I have combo-oily skin (mostly oily around the t-zone, jaw is normal) and some acne scarring on my forehead and cheeks. I used to have mild acne and only get an occasional bump. I don't really break out anymore. For cleansers, I like to switch it up because using something for a long period of time can make it lose effect quickly. Currently, I'm using Garnier's Shine Be Gone gel cleanser. It works not bad but I used to use Neutrogena Naturals' Purifying Pore Scrub which is when I kind of stopped breaking out. I use my cleanser in conjunction with the Olay Cleansing System (cheap ver. of Clarisonic) which is what I believe works so well for me. I don't break out anymore though I get small bumps sometimes, those aren't actual pimples. I'm currently using Garnier's Shine Be Gone toner (goes hand in hand with the cleanser) which helps control my oil. I also like the Simple Kind to Skin Soothing toner which I recently finished. For moisturiser, I'm currently using Simple's Kind to Skin hydrating light moisturiser which I quite like. Previously used Neutrogena's Sensitive Skin Moisture for years and loved it however like I said, because I used it for too long, it was starting to lose effect. Nonetheless, I still liked it. I use the Olay eye cream and lash duo. The eye cream is okay but the lash serum really works! My eyelashes are visibly longer *0* Once or twice a week, I would also use the Lush Ocean Salt which is expensive! It's so expensive that I don't like to use too much. Occasionally, I will use a My Beauty Diary sheet mask (any kind I have on hand) and am currently using the aloe one. So here's my skincare routine! I actually don't use that much stuff and everything can be bought at your local drugstore besides the Lush Ocean Salt which you can purchase at...Lush :)

Brief kinda long review of products mentioned, more info and who I would recommend it for (also includes other skin products):

[spoiler]

Garnier Shine Be Gone gel cleanser+toner: I would recommend these products for people who have oily skin. DO NOT try this if you have dry skin because I find it can be a bit drying sometimes so if you're dry, you'll be even dryer. I think for normal skin, it's alright but not really the ideal product. I mainly recommend for oily skin people or combo skin but mainly oily.

Olay Cleansing System: I highly recommend this product to pretty much anyone! Especially if you have troubled skin like mild acne or bumps! The Clarisonic is really pricey so this is a cheaper alternative. I got this on sale for like $20AUD but it can be sold cheaper online or in other countries (can be pricier depending on your location too). Mind you, it obviously isn't as good as the Clarisonic probably but it worked really well for me in terms of reducing and controlling my acne! I've dealt with mild acne for around 3 years and tried so many products but it wasn't really until I used this with my cleansers that I stopped breaking out. I have only some scarring now. With these cleansing tools however, you must replace the brush heads to ensure it's not all nasty and gross. I got two replacement brush heads (comes in a set of two) for $8AUD. 

Simple Kind to Skin hydrating moisturiser: Really smooth once you put it on your skin!! It doesn't say it's for oil control but I think it controls it relatively well. Quite hydrating. I would recommend for combo skin (not too sure about full on oily) and normal skin. I think Simple is a good brand to try out if you have sensitive skin. They have really gentle products from my experience that work well. 

Olay Eye and Lash Duo: The eye cream is alright, I actually noticed it reducing my dark circles a little but I don't have much anyway. The lash serum part of this duo is great though! I would only use it before going to sleep because it has a gel texture which won't look cute under your mascara or something. It really helps to strengthen your lashes and help them grow longer from my experience. I also have shorter Asian lashes that grow straight down and fall out easily if I'm not careful with my lash curlers. This helped a lot. 

Lush Ocean Salt: This product is so expensive so I'm not 100% sure if I would repurchase it. It has a nice scent in my opinion, kind of lemony and citrusy. When you buy this, you need to mix it thoroughly because it has the liquid/cream part on the bottom and the salt on top. It is a very good exfoliator and is hydrating! I know it sounds funny because salt is kind of drying but believe me, it has other ingredients that hydrate like avocado or coconut (or something! I don't quite remember but you can take a look on the Lush website). I quite like this because afterwards, my skin is so soft, smooth and fresh. Lots of reviews state this helped their acne but I didn't really see much for my acne because I don't use it daily for obvious reasons. I would definitely repurchase without consideration if it wasn't for the price I have to keep in mind. I would recommend this for oily skin, combo, normal and possibly dry skin because it does moisturise. However, if you're incredibly dry and sensitive with open wounds, I do not recommend this because after all, it's salt mixed in with other stuff and could sting and be too harsh for you.

My Beauty Diary Masks: I generally like to use these for hydrating purposes and they help to brighten and hydrate my skin so I have no complaints. I will continue to purchase these however not in Australia because they're too overpriced. Buying them online from a reliable store such as Sasa.com is good. I usually get my friends/family who go overseas to pick some up for me. But honestly, I've tried other masks from Missha, Nature's Republic (etc) and I feel they work the same. I think any kind of sheet mask will hydrate well. I've even tried the Daiso sheet masks and they're fine too. If MBD masks are to expensive in your area, you can seek cheaper alternatives because from my experience, most sheet masks work the same.   

Neutrogena Naturals Purifying Pore Scrub: This is very gentle being a scrub. I even used this with my OIay Cleansing System so you can imagine how gentle it is. It's all natural (you can take a look at the ingredients on the back) so that's good for your skin. I really like this however, it can be a little bit drying (probably because I like using it with my Olay Cleansing System). If you use it just by itself, I would say it's appropriate for normal or dry skin too :)

Simple King to Skin Soothing toner: I like this product and will repurchase it again after I'm done with the Garnier toner I'm currently using. It's very gentle but cleans your skin very well. Feels very fresh and smooth after you use it. I doesn't have an alcohol in it so it's not drying. I would recommend for combo skin and normal skin. If you're not super oily, this could work too but if you want something that controls oil, the Garnier one is probably a better option. This one isn't targeted towards oil control but more for hydration. Good for sensitive skin.

Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Moisture: Like I said, I used this for years and repurchased it many times, so I really enjoy this moisturiser. It is super moisturising and really good for sensitive skin and dry skin. I used this as a combo-oily person and it worked nice too but it didn't control oil very well (and doesn't claim to either). Reason I chose a hydrating but lightweight moisturiser is because oily skin is basically skin that's ultimately dry. Because your skin is dry on the inside, it produces oil to counter it so you need something moisturising but not heavy. This is fragrance free and oil free so really good for people who are sensitive to fragrance and oils. Again, I stopped using this because I saw it began to lose effect but I liked it while I used it. Highly recommend for dry skin, normal skin and combo skin that's more on the normal side. 

I think I covered everything! I hope someone actually reads and benefits from this because I spent ages typing it out xD I also didn't mention because not sure if it's considered 'skincare' but I like the Nivea Milk and Honey lip balm and the Neutrogena Naturals lip balm! Very moisturising and will definitely recommend to anyone! They also don't feel like a layer of oil over your lips either. I used EOS for a while and although it's a nice lip balm, I'd say it'd only so-so for moisturising. It's a good lip balm if your lips aren't super dry. I like to use it as a balm before applying products like lipstick, gloss, stains. etc. Additionally, I also use sunscreen daily for protection. Currently I use the Shiseido Anessa Perfect UV sunscreen. This is VERY pricey! I bit my tongue and bought this for $50AUD because I'm crazy about sun protection. I really like it though. Incredibly light, feels like you didn't even put anything on! It is not oily or greasy in any way and in my opinion, keeps my oil in check. I also like to use this as a primer for my makeup and it's really good. I can't say enough good things about it. It's very expensive but I feel I would purchase it again because it works so well and actually lasts quite a while even though the bottle is kind of small. Been using this for a good year (or so) and I'm still on my first bottle. Also has very high protection and no white caste in pictures! This is a chemical sunscreen (no titanium dioxide or zinc oxide) so it will not make you look white. I actually wear this to school and took a picture in a dark room with flash and looked totally normal. For an alternative, I recommend Neutrogena sunscreens :)

[/spoiler]

it sounds like you got your life planned out! :lol: lucky you for finding skincare that works~

i actually have sensitive / combination skin so i can't use the majority of drugstore skincare :unsure: i have to rely on boscia and avene right now T_T

Yeah, since every time I mention a product you're like "That made me break out"

yeah, things that have sulfate are way too drying for my skin, and yeah lol 

Why?

they are quite harsh on your skin and pulls out your hairs as well :unsure:

if you use korean cosmetics, you can always look at the innisfree volcanic mask! :D

Oh we have St.Ives here yay. I head we shouldn't use their scrubs. Is that true?

don't use their scrubs! the beads' edges are very jaggy and will cut your skin!

and for blackhead extraction, you can always try mineral oil massage

Evertyime I tweeze or wax my eyebrows I get one or a few pimpled around that aera, why?
How can I make my skin look less dull? 
Why do certain cleansers/scrubs make my face itchy? 

Btw I bought St.Ives Green Tea cleanser and it does nothing for me. I mean my face feels clean but it doesn't look clean? Doesn't prevent pimples at all. I don't recommend it.

604-357494-blemishcontrol_greentegelclen

clean your tweezers with rubbing alcohol before tweezing!

also, do your best to not use soap-based cleansers - they dry out your skin and makes it duller

I am not sure how snail creams work but I think it is just that the slime from snails are very good for dry skin, acne, and wrinkles. If you try a snail cream for your blemishes try this one:
 I have never used it before but it is very popular in the international market and it is super cheap as well. 

I am trying this essence out and so far I like it, when I make a full review on it on my blog, I will give you the full details on it~

All of my night creams are for oily skin but I heard good reviews on the Etude House Collagen line which is good for dry skin and Shinee's Onew also uses it~ 

The Face Shop has nice face masks which can help moisturize your skin as well as help with your acne. 
And LORD YOU DO LIVE IN HEAVEN........all those stores  :la:

eonnie you have a blog? :stare: i wanna see!!! :ilove:

Hahaha not yet, I am in the midst of making one.....but editing is sooo hard and annoying >.<

BTW Mary you know a lot about skincare too like the asian beauty and you even knew about the evil St. Ives scrub!! Would you be interested in making a joint blog? Like we can each post on there? Because I feel that you know so much more about Asian and high-end products than me and I could use your help!!  :lub:

:chu:

yeah! but no fotds :(

what type of blog are you planning on making? :O

Hahaha don't worry neither one of us will show our faces maybe just our hands. 

And hmm so far I am thinking of Asian skincare, beauty, reviews, and kpop blog for now. Hopefully if it gets popular enough then we can get sponsors. Let me pm you the name of the blog I am thinking of and you can help me brainstorm together for a name since you are my partner in crime now~  :chu:  :chu:

yay okay! :meow:

i think you forgot to write the products you were gonna recommend, the snail cream and essence

those stores are like an hour away from me though, it's a bit of a ride so i don't go there as often (as i'd want)

i will look into this thanks

mizon's a good brand - their snail slime cream's really good!

For the Benton products you might want to invest in some sample sizes first because I have read some reviews of them working for a while and then the people start breaking out. I am not sure which Benton Product it was but just on a safe side try the sample sizes first to see if it is the right match for you.

And I really like this images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXJG1n4hsX71hyyC6lx14  ciracle_redspotcream_detail.jpgIt works really well as a spot treatment but the con is that it is very white so if you are dark you might want to do this only at night or wear foundation over it. And it also has a herbal smell if you aren't used to that then that might be a con as well. And lastly you have to dip your fingers into the pot, so that isn't very hygienic either.  

Another product that I like to use is the Nature Republic Aloe Gel to help soothe my skin and acne because sometime putting too much of acne products on your skin isn't that good for you so you need days where your skin just has time to heal. 

looks like cheese :lol:

by the way, did you know that enprani has a bouncy cheese cream?

i die lol

who would buy that

Meh. Running out of options. Graduation's coming in three weeks and my acne still has not cleared. I mostly get them around the cheek area. So far, the severity fluxes from moderate to downright nasty. I bought Panoxyl foaming wash with 10% Benzoyl Peroxide a week ago and so far, my acne has remained stagnant, with one or two pimples appearing on my neck :cry:  I also bought the Neutrogena Naturals Pore Scrub, Night Cream, and Moisturizer but I stopped using them because it seemed that they were not helping either and I feared was making my condition worse. Dunno what to do but wear a mask with my bias's face on it when I accept my diploma. Halllpppppppp :horror:

if you can, try not to use the naturals pore scrub - it's pretty similar to st. ive's apricot scrub, which actually can cut your skin

Hahaha yeah I saw that and I know, like unless you wanna be a pizza then don't put cheese on your face. I actually heard mixed reviews about it too, some people say it moisturizes but most people say that it kinda pills off throughout the day....... :unsure:

so people actually use that voodo? :omg:

Hahahaha yes some people just like to play with it though F1WffIG.gif IT IS LIKE CHEESE OMG

that's some nasty shit :omg:

someone suggested about green tea and oatmeal. let me tell you, THEY DO WORK
i've never had big pimples but still, those nasty little things annoyed the hell out of me whenever they came.
Oatmeal did help me to clear my skin and prevent acne. and i've been using pure green tea as a toner and haha i never expected that my skin got brighter. it really helps me to fade my acne scars quickly.

Btw, does anyone know the history of whoo? shit this brand is so pricey like damn. i only used hwa hyun eye cream, its essence, qi jin eye cream, 2 bb creams from 2 lines and one cc cream. they are all samples haha. it's a high brand.

history of whoo is so expensive :cry: it's also targeted for the 30+ crowd, i think. hence its prices.

I bought the junyulhyang wrinkle cream for my mom for her birthday, and she says it works pretty well. $200 though... my allowance... T_T

0.o shit not gonna spend $200 for skincare. such a nice kid you are.
yes, but i used the ones for 20+, of course, you are not able to use it yet.
Seems like it does work. wanna try the seol whitening line, but only can afford trial kit ($25) and samples TT oh yeah junhyulhyang line does target 40+ crowd.

yeah i'm more suited for lioele and etude house and innisfree LOL

i heard that the seol line does good things, but it's expensive

Edited by goddess1

Oops. Accidentally skipped it because of my frantic acne crisis. It was basically an all-in-one center of information and what everyone's been re-iterating :derp:

I just bought Dessert Essence's 100% Tea Tree oil. I'm scared to put it on my face though. So far, the oatmeal wash and green tea/honey mask have helped deal with my acne leaving a tiny bit of pimples on my cheeks and temples. I'm not really sure on how to treat the scars though. They're a bit lighter now but their still quite dark and unsightly on my cheeks. I can see that they're going to leave little indents and actual scarring though :T FML

Ooh, don't use 100% tea tree oil on you face! Don't, it might burn your face if you apply it straight from the bottle! Dilute it with some lotion, or like midori said, some lukewarm water!

i switched to green tea toner as per someone's suggestion here... and i think it's working  :stare:  my acne spots look lighter now and my face just feels and looks better overall. 

i also started using neostrata spot lightener at the same time so i'm not sure which product is more effective... but less pimples now and when i did have them i didn't get ugly dark blemishes like before

Completely unrelated but your sig is gorgeous :stare:

• Like 1

I don't know where to post this but I need help, I think I'm balding. Is there anyway to increase my hair volume? eg. food/products.

Try castor oil! ^^ rub it in 5 minutes before you shower or leave it on as an overnight mask

Can someone recommend a good exfoliating scrub for the face?

I currently use the St.Ives apricot scrub, and I want to change to another one because I heard the St.Ives one isn't good for you  :cry:

You can always try stridex :D

If you're really set on physical exfoliation, try to fine one with round beads!

http://beatthemicrobead.org/en/in-short

Microbeads are terrible for the environment, and are not necessary at all for exfoliation.

I know, chemical exfoliation >>>>>>> physical exfoilation, imo

But if she really wanted to feel the beads... :unsure:

yes

it hurts it hurts it hurts

also

since I put sunscreen 3+ times a day, my T-zone is oily-ish now. Not gonna change my sunscreen. Gimme suggestions on what to do. 

Buy spray sunscreens designed for the face. Apply that and blot your face afterwards :D

regarding sunscreens

do you just look at the SPF or do you check if it has the "PA+++" thing. apparently that means maximum protection or something. i haven't really looked into it, someone just told me

i was looking up sunscreens the other day and Shiseido has that PA+++ on their products 

31ZKy6t-AhL.jpg

however when i went to Sephora (i also checked the Bay) the bottles didn't have it. So I didn't buy...

I really wouldn't recommend this sunscreen if you have combination to oily skin. You will literally look like a disco ball within a few hours, especially in summer. I bought this last year for summer, and it clogged my pores terribly so I had to give it to my mom. I would recommend the sunscreen in the blue bottle if you use sunscreen for sports, but my personal fav sunscreen from Shiseido is the urban oil-free one.

i don't think we have that PPD thing here on product labels in Canada..

Is it just PA then, like in the US? I'm not aware of any other naming system for spf...

Does anyone have a moisturizer they swear by?

I recently over-dried my skin using multiple products (cleansers + toners)

and I need a good moisturizer to bring back moisture on my cheeks.

However, I've tried some moisturizers and they've made me break out

so I guess I'm pretty much asking from people with acne prone skin. 

Some info about me:

I have combination skin. 

I mainly break out on my cheeks and occasionally my chin.

My acne is a mix between papules/pustules I guess.

My acne is mild right now (it can get at the cusp of moderate)

My cheeks are pretty sensitive right now but I used to not have sensitive skin at all.

I use ole henriksen's sheer transformation. It has helped a lot with my post-acne redness :)

Is the lemming of Korean make up due to k-pop? Personally, no point paying high fees for drug store when I can find the same products here. I mean not kidding but a lot of the ingredients are the same. What I really like though is Asian bases. Can't use them cause I'm dark skinned but they really know their formulas.

I'm going back to Bare minerals because everyone complimented me. Plus it's such a no fuss product.

I personally think that Korean make up is overrated. I have an etude house lipstick and tbh I don't like it. Even revlon lipsticks are better :P I heard innisfree makes good ones though so maybe I'll buy some on my next trip to Asia.

The one thing that I love is the BB cushion. Thank god Target sells Laneige now or else I would go crazy!

Hey all ♥

Can anyone tell me whats the best FACIALmask for oily skin , ive tried a lot of masks but they are not good enough , i just hate my Oily skin so much !! ;'(

I like the boscia peel off masks. I find that a lot of sheet masks tend to break me out so I don't really use them anymore. ^^