Forums Rules Staff Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
Sign in to follow this  
Nekci

The Official Skincare Thread (Read the OP)

My skin has been going crazy so I've gone back to my formula of Black soap and clinique lotion.

Another acne treatment for me - A mixture of Apple Cider Vinegar and Bentonite ckay. It really shrinks the zits.

I also tone with Apple Cider Vinegar sometimes.

To be fair, I've been totally neglecting my routine. I've had exams and barely slept at all. I also have honestly neglected to wash my face constantly. When you're studying overnight, just brushing my teeth is all I can muster.

By the way, no such thing as a waterproof sunscreen. No matter what the label says.

Is the lemming of Korean make up due to k-pop? Personally, no point paying high fees for drug store when I can find the same products here. I mean not kidding but a lot of the ingredients are the same. What I really like though is Asian bases. Can't use them cause I'm dark skinned but they really know their formulas.

I'm going back to Bare minerals because everyone complimented me. Plus it's such a no fuss product. Edited by Tequila Mockingbird

My skin has cleared up that my mom even commented. Mind you, I don't have acne but easily irritated skin and I get these bumps. Anyway, it all boils down to really simplifying my routine. I wash with black soap, moisturize with clinique dramatically different lotion and then seal with almond oil. I also added apple cider vinegar back to my routine which seems to work wonders even though it smells awful!

I exfoliate with a clay mask and a peel. 

Might have to do the whole oil cleansing thing because this blogger I follow has perfect skin and if I can get my skin looking like this, well...

image99-1024x768.jpg

image34-1024x770.jpg

Edited by Ghettoe

Was reading the Korean skin care routine and just laughed.

Toner

Serum

Emulsion - what is this?

Essence - And this?

Moisturizer

Finishing cream? (And this?)

Mist... (What does this do? Is this a toner again?)

Like Whaaaaaa? 

Edited by Ghettoe

I need a lip balm that is not more than $10 and is moisturizing. 

I keep thinking about cutting out sugar but who am I kidding? My sweet tooth is at a level that made my dentist sigh. I put three spoons of sugar in my coffee. How can I possibly stop?

I used to eat Twix for breakfast...  :._.:

can anyone give me diy facemasks that actually work... I have a bad skin and diy facemasks seems better but I got to know what actually works. I heard using sugar for your skin as scrub is not good

I make my own. I swear by my bentonite clay and apple cider vinegar mask. It makes my skin just feel amazing!

These two are like my work horses. Skin care, hair care, etc

Especially apple cider vinegar: Hair, face, I drink it when sick... 

The problem: The smell. Strangely enough though, you even learn to love that. Okay, I lie but it's not as terrible. 

PS. They might both sting your face, they don't do so for me but my aunt was like damn, my face is stinging!! 

Edited by Ghettoe

Drinking green tea helps.

Stay away from dairy products.

Some birth control pills can either help or make it worse.

Stress can really affect your hormones negatively. 

:omgwtf:

It is nature's gift to us. Get past the smell and I often ask myself what can't apple cider vinegar do? It is also your skin's PH so I don't need to worry about my routine and I can't live without it. 

I ran out and went into panic mode. 

Nooo!

That throws off your skin's pH! You ruin your lipid layer leaving your skin much more prone to irritation. 

No, not apple cider vinegar. If you're thinking of white vinegar, then yes but not apple cider vinegar. It's actually well know that it regulates your PH. I know my stuff girl. 

I legit researched my skincare routine to a scary degree. 

Edited by Ghettoe

No, I'm not. I'm talking about apple cider vinegar. 

I have no idea where you got that from. I'd like to see the research behind that though.

PS. You've got to dilute the stuff though...

Edited by Ghettoe

I still wouldn't put it on even if it's diluted. People have had issues even with dilution. You run a risk of getting chemical burns by doing that. 

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0190962211022432

I have to register to read it... Can you copy paste it? I'm genuinely curious about it but can't access it!  :horror:

Dafaq? (The dumb people didn't dilute it though.)

Please work, link.

I clicked LinkOut and the Elsevier Science thing.

Still not working.  :cry:

Oh, maybe it's because I have my university's VPN on. 

[spoiler] To the Editor: Chemical burns are often associated with strong acids such as sulfuric, nitric, and hydrochloric acids, but can occur with weaker acids such as acetic acid. 1 An 8-year-old boy with a history of Crohn’s disease and HLA-B27-positive spondyloarthropathy had developed multiple lesions of mollusca contagiosa on his left leg over several weeks. His medications were weekly methotrexate (15 mg for the past year) and more recently, 3 doses of adalimumab (40 mg every other week). The evening before presentation, in an attempt to treat the mollusca contagiosa, his mother applied cotton balls soaked in apple cider vinegar (∼5% acetic acid) to the left popliteal fossa and side of his left knee. Adhesive bandages were placed over the cotton balls and both were removed the next morning after approximately 8 hours of contact time.

At the time of application, the patient noted a burning sensation, and the next day there were areas of violet discoloration and tenderness of the left leg. The patient also had developed a low-grade fever (102.2°F). On physical examination, violaceous macules and patches were seen with the largest lesion located in the popliteal crease; the latter was linear with an irregular outline. A purple rim was noted around the white papules of mollusca contagiosa (Fig 1A). Given the history and that the most prominent lesion was in the area of greatest occlusion, irritant contact dermatitis/chemical burn was the leading diagnosis. Because of the low-grade fever and the possibility of soft-tissue infection, however, two skin biopsies were performed, one for routine histology and one for tissue culture.

1-s2.0-S0190962211022432-gr1.jpg
Fig 1. 

Chemical burn caused by topical acetic acid; clinical presentation and histologic features. A, Violaceous macules and patches in left popliteal fossa along with scattered dome-shaped white papules. Largest patch is oriented in linear fashion in popliteal crease and has irregular borders. There is a purple rim surrounding several white molluscum papules. B, Abrupt epidermal necrosis with neutrophils within its lower portion and underlying papillary dermis, along with fibrinoid vascular changes just below epidermal necrosis. C, Portion of epidermis is hyperplastic and displays intracytoplasmic eosinophilic inclusions (molluscum bodies) and acute necrosis. (B and C, Hematoxylin-eosin stain; original magnifications: B, ×20; C, Ã—10.)

Microscopic examination revealed abrupt epidermal necrosis with intraepidermal and papillary dermal neutrophils; fibrinoid changes of papillary dermal vessels were visible beneath the areas of epidermal necrosis (Fig 1B and C). Henderson-Paterson bodies were also present. Special stains, blood cultures, and tissue cultures all produced negative results.

Based on these findings, the patient was diagnosed with a chemical burn caused by topical apple cider vinegar. It is possible that there was less absorption of the acetic acid in the thickest portion of the mollusca contagiosa papules, leading to the purple rims. The chemical burns healed without intervention. The mollusca did not respond to the acetic acid therapy but subsequently resolved with topical cantharidin.

The US Food and Drug Administration mandates that vinegars contain a minimum of 4% acetic acid; however, the concentrations of acetic acid found in commercially available vinegars can range from 4% to 8%, depending on the exact source of the vinegar (Table I). Chemical burns secondary to topical application of vinegar have been rarely reported, but even ulceration has been observed.12 and 3 Of note, the undiluted form, glacial acetic acid, is available for purchase via the Internet and when applied, eg, as a self-administered facial chemical peel, has led to hypertrophic scarring.4 Given the increase in the use of alternative therapies for skin disorders, including the application of vinegar to warts, lice, and mollusca, chemical burns caused by acetic acid may increase in incidence. [/spoiler]

Ugh, I really hate articles that don't give enough information. For example, it gave this specific person a chemical burn but is it due to the person's sensitivity? Heck, could be his skin reacts terribly to apple cider. For instance, some people really can't handle Retin A AT ALL, but it is still used in skin care. Bleh, this is why I stopped researching cosmetics. Too much mixed information on the nature of preservatives that I was just like "I give up"

She did apply undiluted ACV straight to the problem area though. Plus, the child a pre-existing skin condition that it NOT acne/oiliness, so not very relevant IMO

It's funny because it tells you how rare it is. 

Thanks Goddessuuu <3 

What type of clay do you recommend :O ? 

The manuka honey mask is pretty nice !!!! made my face more brighter and kinda reduced my redness ! :P 

I recommend bentonite. I really like it! I actually mix it with honey and diluted ACV. 

I  decided to focus on skin care this year but damn, as opposed to acne as in large pimples and bumps, I instead have miniature bumps with some minor blackheads that just won't go away. I'm thinking of reverting back to salicylic acid due to this. 

Oh found out what it is. Apparently it's sebum trapped. I confess, I really do not exfoliate as often as I should and I am prone to neglecting my skin. Witch hazel was recommended so I'm going to try that and try to stick to a regimen.

Edited by Ghettoe

I get sometimes those red-pus pimples when I have my period or forgets to wash off/cleanse makeup before I sleep. I always and  I mean /always/ have clogged pores on my nose that when I squeeze, it comes out white. I also get those blocked sebum-oil-dirt in my pores but it's never a bump but it's hard and grainy. Also, I get "invisible" acne, meaning it's a tiny bump or not a bump at all but if I squeeze, white or yellow comes out. It doesn't fit with the description of blackhead nor whitehead tbh.

Anyone have any ways to unclog pores for combo skin? My skin is dry and oily at random parts. I don't have honey either.  :omg:

Besides that and me always being stupid and squeezing the pimples (hence why I have the ice pick scars), my skin has less acne now probably because of the diet change and water. Here food has less chemicals and no growth hormones. I think that's a factor to acne. Before it was severe acne now it's acne only by circumstance i.e period, makeup, stress. 

I have the same bloody problem and when I stick to a regimen it sometimes makes my skin look better but still the bumps never really go away and they make my skin look especially dull on that side. Definite grainyness but the fortunate thing is with make up, it's easy to cover up. I also have a lot of scars mainly due to childhood fights but also acne. I really want to focus on clearing it this year.

My skin lately is still a combo. Mild oil production on the forehead, sever dryness near the mouth area and slightly on my cheeks.

Edited by Ghettoe

Well, what are you wanting it to do? lol Usually Asian toners are not the same as Western toners, here in the US toner means the same as astringent, usually something with a high alcohol content that makes your face feel tight and squeaky clean after you use it. Asian toners are usually a first step in moisturizing after you wash, a light liquid with a boost of hydration to help your other products sink in better. So as long as there are no ingredients in this product that irritate your skin I would assume it would work as a light moisturizer, probably good for oily skin since it is oil free, you would probably need to use a moisturizer over it especially if you have combo or dry skin. 

As I'm aware western toners are meant to balance the PH out in your skin which is what allows products to sink in better. A lot of cleansers are a touch too alkaline, then again, I simply tone with an ACV and water mix which has not failed me.

Does ACV and water smell or is it dilute enough so that it doesn't smell?

It stinks but it's the ugly baby you learn to love.  :lol: It's now even comforting.

Edited by Mr. Thomas Barrow

Going back to basics, don't know why I strayed but my routine is officially going back to gentle face wash, tone (simply because I have a toner but I rarely do use these) moisturizer and sunblock and lots of water. If I wear makeup, I'll add cleansing oil to this. I have also been converted to cleansing oils. I used oil for years and it does actually take off makeup impeccably well but I kind of drifted to product hype. Something tells me once I'm done with the experimenting I'll go back to my trustee almond oil. 

On that note, cleansing oils I've tried

Boscia

Burt's Bees (Not a fan of this, it takes of makeup but consistency is rather runny. My biggest gripe is that sweet scent it has. 

I am officially looking to try the Korean layering skin care nonsense. Do I believe in it? Nope, but I have become an optimist over the years so researching and trying to see what to get. 

My goals: Want to reduce hyper pigmentation and have hydrated and brighter skin. Also reduce break outs.

Current routine: face wash (random drug store brand), toner (Clinique toner), moisturizer at night (First Aid beauty), morning, water and moisturizer. Occasionally, clay mask or glycolic mask. (Both from Caudalie) and sunscreen.

Now I want to try a Korean routine so open to recommendations.

At the moment looking at. Don't really know any Korean cleansers feel free to point me towards some, May Coop raw sauce, a serum with some acne fighting or exfoliating/cell turnover properties (I wanted the kiehl's one, but are there any korean one's?, Belif moisturizer (I went to sephora and got distracted with another brand even though I've been dying to try this...) And please recommend a sunscreen the neutrogena one stings like a bitch.

I don't believe in eye cream so skipping that, I use my moisturizer or an oil under my eye, it has not failed me yet so I see no need for eye cream.

Are there any steps I'm missing. I watched some routines and some applied like three essences, the fuck?

PS. My budget is pretty okay, not SKII okay but I won't die spending $40 on a product as long as there's some decent reviews. I prefer to mix and match.

Skin type: Dark skinned lady with some scars, relatively even skin not very acne prone but I detest fragrance. Somewhat weird combination of oily forehead, but horrendously dry mouth area prone to flaking and peeling especially when products are stripping. Normal cheeks though. Dehydrated skin and sebaceous filaments underneath chin but nothing I can do but reduce with bha. 

Edited by Ghettoe

Sign in to follow this