Forums Rules Staff Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
Sign in to follow this  
Nekci

The Official Skincare Thread (Read the OP)

Can someone recommend a good exfoliating scrub for the face?

I currently use the St.Ives apricot scrub, and I want to change to another one because I heard the St.Ives one isn't good for you  :cry:

Chemical exfoliation is better for most people. Physical exfoliation shouldn't be done more than once a week, but if you prefer it, you can make your own with sugar and honey.

The St. Ives is bad for you because it causes micro-tears in the skin, which bacteria can get into.

Edited by laxjiyongfany

You can always try stridex :D

If you're really set on physical exfoliation, try to fine one with round beads!

http://beatthemicrobead.org/en/in-short

Microbeads are terrible for the environment, and are not necessary at all for exfoliation.

I have never tried chemical exfoiliation before so I don't really know where to start. What would you recommend?

The user up above recommended Stridex pads (red box), which are cheap and work well. Plus you can cut the pads in half and make them last even longer. You can also work your way up to using them every night if you feel like your skin needs it. It would go:

Cleanser -> Stridex -> Wait for it to dry -> Whatever other stuff you like to use. Try to let it dry for at least 20 minutes if you can because moisturizers and things like that will make it work less.

Edited by laxjiyongfany

While I agree that most skincare youtubers often have no idea what they're talking about, sugar can be used as long as it's mixed with something melts it a bit so that the texture changes and you're very gentle (which is why I recommended it with honey earlier). Obviously anything like that needs to be done very gently so it's not abrasive.

In fact, in that video, I don't see her go into just why it's bad to use sugar on your face, only not to use it with lemon. She mentions that all that stuff in general isn't very efficient, and I think she's just making the argument that chemical exfoliation tends to be better.

Edited by laxjiyongfany

Have any of you ever used the St.Ives exfoliating pads? Do they work?

The lactic acid ones? They're a pretty cost effective option. Just note that they do make you more sensitive to the sun.

Thanks. Ughh... I can't find them in store anywhere, I guess I'll have to order it. 

What did you want them for? There's also the Stridex pads, but they're a BHA and the St. Ives are AHA.

I want to use them for exfoliation. I remembered using the stridex pads before, and it really irritated my skin. Then I searched around online for an alternative and the St.Ives exfoliation pads were highly recommended so I thought I might give it a try since their products usually doesn't make my skin irritated.

Just straight up normal exfoliation? Then yeah, go ahead and order the St. Ives. They use a gentle acid. If you were exfoliating to get rid of blackheads or something I would have suggested the Stridex instead since they're easier to get.

^

Chemical peels usually have a much higher acid content and aren't suitable for daily use. If you keep the percentage low and work your way up, you might get to a point where you can use regular chemical exfoliation daily.

ok I'm sorry if I come off as an idiot but what's the difference between BHA and AHA? like which would be better for a certain skin type?

AHAs speed up the exfoliation process. Basically gets rid of dead skin faster. BHAs penetrate the pores and clean them out. If you're dealing with acne, you should probably start with a BHA, although AHAs can help too. Some people use both, but you shouldn't start them both at the same time.

ah ok thank you! do you know any good, cheaper BHA products?

Stridex in the red box.

How do I stop oily skin? No matter what face cream I use my face gets oily later on and it's annoying! Please help :rlytearpls:

What's your daily routine? I find that using a good face wash and moisturizer really cuts down on oil.

It is waterproof
Spray one from neutrogena for arms/back/legs + an expensive one from my mom's for my face

I put it once at like 6am then at snack time with the kids (to show the example) around 10:30 then again at snack time at 3:30 (pool is at noon)

And I do use blotting sheets

Sab, if you're outside ALL day, you need to be reapplying every two hours. Sunscreen is good for two hours of total sun exposure. I've seen people say that using a primer underneath helps, but your issue might just be the nature of being outside all day.

Is there any reason you don't want to change sunscreens?

regarding sunscreens

do you just look at the SPF or do you check if it has the "PA+++" thing. apparently that means maximum protection or something. i haven't really looked into it, someone just told me

i was looking up sunscreens the other day and Shiseido has that PA+++ on their products 

31ZKy6t-AhL.jpg

however when i went to Sephora (i also checked the Bay) the bottles didn't have it. So I didn't buy...

http://imgur.com/a/MeZa7#0

This might help explain the PA thing to you. PPD is the same thing, it's just what it's called in Europe. PA+++ is equivalent to PPD 8-16.

SPF and PA/PPD are not the same thing. To find out the PPD of a sunscreen, you'll usually have to search online.

I first warm my face up with hot water to open my pores. Then, I use Clean & Clear lemon and papaya cleanser and rinse my face with cold water to close my pores. after, I pat dry my face and put Tony Moly appletox for facial moisterizer.

Pores don't open or close. That's a myth. You might need a new moisturizer and could possibly be dehydrated.

Snail products didn't do a damn thing for me. I get blackheads more than zits though so ymmv I guess.

Sign in to follow this