Please use your display name or email address to log in! User names are defunct. If your display name had special characters, log in with your email address and update your display name asap. ×
Forums Rules Staff Calendar Leaderboard Activity Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nekci

The Official Skincare Thread (Read the OP)

It seems like there are a lot of threads being dedicated to getting rid of acne and people seeking advice, so I decided to make a thread that probably won't catch on about getting clear skin where people can share tips and products. I'm not a dermatologist or an esthetician. 

Remember that the majority of products recommended are treatments--not solutions. If you're seeking a product recommendation or giving a recommendation, you need to include info about your skin because if someone has the same type of skin, you're more likely to have similar results. The most important factors are in red.

Info to include

• What's your race? (I'm not sure if that effects the results, but it wouldn't hurt to share.)
  • What's your age? If you're not comfortable with giving that out, are you over or under 21?
  • How light or dark is your skin? You can use the MAC foundation colors for a match. (It doesn't have to be the EXACT same color for giving a recommendation, but it should be in the same ballpark. (Also, ignore the whole "foundation-has-to-be-two-shades-lighter-than-your-skin-tone" because that just complicates things.) If your face is paler than your body (which it probably will be, especially if you wash your face often) choose the color of whatever body part that there's acne. Here's a link to one of their random foundations for a match. http://www.maccosmetics.com/product/13847/10180/Products/Makeup/Face/Foundation/Pro-Longwear-Foundation
  • Oily, dry, combination?
  • Frequent breakouts on the forehead, cheeks, nose, chin, etc?
  • Are you using any kind of face makeup regularly? Liquid, powder, concealers? What brand is it? Is it noncomedogenic (Makeup that doesn't clog your pores)? Unfortunately, not all companies will provide that info. 
  • What type of acne do you get? Do you get comedonal, papular, or cystic acne? Some of these are a bit gross, but if you want info, click the spoiler http://www.thelovevitamin.com/2401/type-of-acne/#.UuNU4BAo7IU/
  • Clear, almost clear, mild, moderate, or severe? Click the spoiler above for the qualifications. (It's around the end of the page.)
  • Do you eat a lot of salty, sugary, or greasy food a lot?
  • Do you or have you used any kind of drugs? Alcohol? Cigarettes? Are you on any prescribed medication?
  • Is your skin sensitive?
  • Are you stressed right now?
  • How many hours of sleep do you typically get?
  • For acne scars, do you have ones that are brown/black or ice picks (which is sort of a dent in your skin).
  • If you're seeking help for acne on your neck, legs, chest, shoulders, back, or whatever say the acne type.
  • If you're looking for eye cream recommendations, state if you've got any dryness, oiliness, fine lines, etc.
  • Include your results of whatever skincare products you're recommending to people.

I know some of the tips are repeated in the two videos, but there are also some tips one another didn't share.
http://youtu.be/jyCUMF6lXZs

You can follow this girl's acne series. It's pretty good, BUT don't wander to her other skincare videos because I know she's recommended some bad things (particularly her exfoliating video).
http://youtu.be/05Ie5YZ4wU4

More Tips for Every Skin Type

Prevention

• If you're a makeup wearer, you should give your skin breaks from it--even if it's noncomedogenic (skin that doesn't clog your pores).
  • Try to lay on your back when you're sleeping. If you can't fall asleep that way, use a silk pillowcase.
  • Use clean pillow cases. You can use 7 pillow cases and change them every day, and wash them all once a week.
  • Make sure the towel or washcloth or whatever is clean. If you don't want to wash your towel or switch them out every so often, you might just want to use a separate towel that's just for your face.
  • Clean your phones and glasses often. Your skin's oil will rub off on them, and when you put it back on your face, you're putting the oil back on your face too.
  • Really, anything that touches your face should be clean.
  • Side affect of some medicines include more acne, but don't skip out on your medicine just because you want clear skin! Try talking with your doctor about medications.

Cleansing

• Even if your skin is oily, you need to moisturize after washing your face.
  • DON'T use facial cleansers that contain fragrance. Sometimes the stuff they put in them to make them smell that way are bad for your skin.
  • Count to 60 while washing your skin. You'll be able to remove more oil and/or makeup. This is why the Clarisonic's timer adds up to 60 seconds. (No, I don't recommend the Clarisonic to everyone.)
  • DON'T cleanse your face too much. I'd recommend two times a day: one in the morning and one at night. Three times at the most.

Product Application

• When applying a treatment, don't push your finger into your skin with a lot of force. Some people think that the product will penetrate into your skin deeper, but you're really just damaging your skin or even making the acne worse.
  • Before applying products, wash your hands because some of the dirt on your fingers can transfer onto your skin.
  • Before you apply a facial mask, cleanse.
  • Be careful when using products that contain benzoyl peroxide. You should be able to find it on the back of the container (or maybe even the front.) Benzoyl peroxide, when used in excess, can dry out your skin--even if your skin type is oily. The amount that people should use varies from person to person. Measure the amount by lining the side of your finger with the product. For example, I measure the amount to one digit of my finger.
  • I don't recommend using dermarollers no matter what the size.

Diet

• Green and spearmint tea, water, avocados, berries, tomatoes, fish, bananas, and carrots are all good drinks and foods for your skin.
  • Sodium, MSG, salt, soy sauce, etc. will darken your scars.
  • Stay away from greasy foods and alcohol.
  • It should be noted that a healthy diet = good skin is only a myth.

DIYs

• Don't trust every single DIY you see out there. A lot of the people who give out these recipes don't do enough research on them.
  • Please watch these 2 videos to know which ones are bad and good. (Don't forget to read the description in the ones you should try.)
  • If there's a DIY out there that doesn't mention these ingredients, PLEASE do proper research. Don't just scratch the surface. Look for multiple, reputable resources.

http://youtu.be/4lrZqiqoZGA

http://youtu.be/CG6_H5caJ6A

Learning

• Do research on the ingredients found in products. 
  • In most products, the ingredients listed at the top are the ones used in the largest quantities. For example, if you see water at the top of the list (which happens often), that product contains a lot of water.
  • Here is an ingredient dictionary you can refer to http://www.paulaschoice.com/cosmetic-ingredient-dictionary/
  • You need to question every bit of advice you get. You can even question this OP.
  • I recommend this website to learning more about skincare. It gets a little science orientated though. http://www.paulaschoice.com/expert-advice/skin-care-advice/

Other random tips that I couldn't figure out how to categorize

• USE FACIAL MASKS. It's one of the strongest skin treatments. Be sure to wash/peel it off as soon as it's completely dry.
  • Get plenty of sleep. Get at least 7-9 hours. 
  • If you're over 21, it's typically better to use products with salicylic acid than benzoyl peroxide.
  • If you're prone to scratching, keep your nails short.
  • "Dermatologist tested" or "hypoallergenic" are things you see slapped on products' boxes. They mean nothing. Those labels shouldn't be deal breakers when searching for products. 
  • Last resort: Please DON'T use this method unless you've tried a combination, if not, all of these tips listed, or people's recommendations AREN'T working for you AFTER 3 MONTHS.This is a very intense treatment, and it has to be done very precisely.

http://youtu.be/9XnF8CfJhEc

SOME WARNINGS TO THIS METHOD: 

• Your face will get SO DRY. It will hurt to do so much as smile.
  • While although this method clears your acne, it comes at the cost of very red zits for a while. 

Some Other Things to This Method

• Didn't you say in an earlier tip not to use a product with benzoyl peroxide in excess? Yes, I did. But like I said, this is a LAST RESORT. The reason you're using so much benzoyl peroxide is because of the way that it works. It goes in and kills the acne. Salicylic acid, the other thing most commonly found in acne treatments, works differently. Instead, it works to clean out your pores, and it's definitely not as harsh.
  • I'd recommend keeping up with this method for 4 months, but it might be different for everyone.
  • After the 4 months or whatever time, cut down the amount of product.

If you want a specific product recommendation for this method, I'd recommend Cetaphil Cleansing Lotion to wash your face. You should also get OXY 10 which comes in the specific strength of 2.5; however, I'm not sure if that's an over-the-counter product. I've also heard sunscreen is a good moisturizer for this because it's very emollient and greasy.

What I use

Spoiler

I'm Asian with the skin tone NC35 (a little pale). I've got combination skin with moderate papules, pustules and rare cysts. No drugs. Typically 7 hours of sleep. Sensitive skin. Typically use Coastal Scents eclipse palette and Maybelline's Pure BB in light sheer tint (this has a bit of salicylic acid). I get stressed a lot. I often eat salty food. My scars are brownish.

I currently use these

Acne Free's 24 hour Severe Acne Clearing System

Neutrogena's Alcohol-Free Toner

I might just be a toner whore, but I always run out of Acne Free's toner, so I just use that instead of buying a whole new pack, since they're not sold individually.

Neutrogena's Fresh Foaming Cleanser

I only use this at night, because it does a good job of removing makeup. (Fragrance is listed at the bottom of ingredients.)

Simple's Protecting Light Moisturizer SPF 15

I mostly use this if my skin is a little drier than usual, or if it's been a while since I last used the AcneFree stuff, I'll use oil blotting sheets and then this before I apply makeup. 

Yes to Blueberries' Softening Facial Exfoliator

This scrub is meh. It's a physical exfoliant, and fragrance is listed at the bottom of ingredients. I try to use a washcloth rather than this.

Freeman's Facial Clay Mask: Avocado and Oatmeal

I mostly use this when I feel my skin just needs some more help. I also use it as a spot treatment. Fragrance is listed at the bottom of the ingredients.

Seeking Professional Help

• If the product recommendations here do not work for you, seek professional help.
  • I would much rather recommend you see an esthetician rather than a dermatologist. Dermatologists are mostly here for skin diseases instead of skincare. If you do want to see a dermatologist, I recommend that you see a cosmetic dermatologist. Skincare is an esthetician's main focus, which is why I recommend them more.
  • Just because a dermatologist recommends skincare treatments doesn't make them infallible. 
  • When seeking an esthetician, look for a reputable one that's been around for a while. The beauty schools don't work on making them the best estheticians ever. A lot of their knowledge comes from self study. There are bad estheticians out there.
  • Like 23

they all suck, best advice I'd ever got was just use homemade treatments. 

Edited by WhaleWhisper
  • Dislike 3

You'll never 100% get rid of acne. The stuff you see in stores are treatments-not solutions. What type of skin do you have? That affects the results of these products A LOT. (Include if it's oily, dry, combination, common breakouts on forehead, cheeks, nose, etc, and what type of acne)

I used these 3 and they all did a pretty good job. Just be careful if you buy these because these products all contain benzoyl peroxide which can dry out your skin if you use too much (even if you have oily skin). 

full_size_24h_kit_burst.jpg13_24hour_group_480x336.jpg6802354_320x385.jpg

Tried anything and everything from over the counter products to whatever the dermatologist prescribed until finally, I was put on Accutane ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isotretinoin ) for a year and it completely cleared up my skin as though I never had acne at all.

I haven't had a breakout since. But ... last I heard is they took it off the market because the potential side-effects are pretty severe and the pharmaceutical company got sued ... A LOT.

Edited by hazee

St Ives Green Tea Cleanser + Green tea and apple cider vinegar mixed together as a toner is the best and most natural option tbh. For me anyway. I don't get breakouts because I use those two things.

For skincare, natural is better.

and of course you should always use a moisturizer too.

• Like 1

Tried anything and everything from over the counter products to whatever the dermatologist prescribed until finally, I was put on Accutanehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isotretinoin ) for a year and it completely cleared up my skin as though I never had acne at all.

I haven't had a breakout since. But ... last I heard is they took it off the market because the potential side-effects are pretty severe and the pharmaceutical company got sued ... A LOT.

*sigh* the memories...  -_-   how did you deal with the scarring?

It depends on the person, and your skin type. 

I'd advise against benzoyl peroxide because even though it sorta did help with my breakouts, it irritated my skin so freaking much.

I use the body shop's tea tree stuff + cerave hydrating cleanser and it works really well for me.

Tried anything and everything from over the counter products to whatever the dermatologist prescribed until finally, I was put on Accutane ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isotretinoin ) for a year and it completely cleared up my skin as though I never had acne at all.

i took it during the summer tho

unless it changed just recently.....

if you have insurance just go to your dermatologist 

seriously the best thing that could ever happen to me

• Like 1

I take it like a man.

Really though, I'm 30 and still get the occasional pimple.  -_-

I find that a good diet, with plenty of vegetables and fruit, plus washing your face 2 times a day helps a lot.

*sigh* the memories...  -_-   how did you deal with the scarring?

I was lucky enough to have hardly any, people are always surprised to learn that I had acne at all.... but my skin took a reaaaally long time to stop being extremely sensitive to the sun : /

i took it during the summer tho

unless it changed just recently.....

Yeah, that's what I meant by last I heard.

You didn't take it longer than a few months?

Edited by hazee

Ew proactive sucks ass. Just exfoliate alot and make homemade facials! I like green tea+rice flour  or  green tea+vitamin c powder
and use clindamycin phosphate gel/cream. Works miracles

Edited by Iljinnie Kim
  • Like 1

You better find out what is causing the acne. I used to have them too, and when I went to a local dermatologist, he prescribed some lotions etc. I told him my skin was dry (surprising right), so I am going to need a super heavy moisturiser if the meds he prescribed me are going to make my skin dry. He just said the moisturizer he prescribed me is fine.

Of course, for the whole month my face was itching like hell because it was so dry. Further more, I stay in air con whole day so my skin was so dry it was flaking.

After a month, I went back and he was surprised to see I got flakes (it wasn't noticeable but if you are near me, you can def see it) and prescribed me a stronger moisturiser. I went to him for another 6 months, while my skin got better, but it was never clear.

I finally finished my scholarship so I couldn't afford him anymore (was paying $100 per visit), so I decided to self medicate. I can feel that my skin is dry, so what I did was just get skincare that has moisturizing properties. This goes against the rule of acne, because acne is normally caused by oily skin. I can feel that once I put on the moisturizing skincare that my skin was thanking me. Guess what, I went CLEAR after a month. So much for all the "professional help" and money I spent on. I tried everything - benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, apple cider toner etc - but those things strip away more moisture.

Now, with the occasional zit I have - I am using 1% Clindamycin phosphate gel - it's an antibiotic, doesn't dry out at all, and pimple will be surpressed by 2-3 days, but the red mark will probably stay on for a while depends on severity. The only thing is that you need to constantly use Clindamycin until the pimple disappear because you don't want bacterias to gain immunity to it (much like how normal antibiotics work, you need to finish the full course). Clindamycin needs to be prescribed from where I am from.

My advice is know your skin well, and work from then on. Work with a dermatologist if needed, but make sure your concerns are aired and taken note of. If it isn't, he is probably not a very good dermatologist.

Sorry for the lengthy post. I just hope nobody went through what I did. It was a very humbling and low self-esteem episode that I went through.

Edited by lis_elle
  • Like 1

You better find out what is causing the acne. I used to have them too, and when I went to a local dermatologist, he prescribed some lotions etc. I told him my skin was dry (surprising right), so I am going to need a super heavy moisturiser if the meds he prescribed me are going to make my skin dry. He just said the moisturizer he prescribed me is fine.

Of course, for the whole month my face was itching like hell because it was so dry. Further more, I stay in air con whole day so my skin was so dry it was flaking.

After a month, I went back and he was surprised to see I got flakes (it wasn't noticeable but if you are near me, you can def see it) and prescribed me a stronger moisturiser. I went to him for another 6 months, while my skin got better, but it was never clear.

I finally finished my scholarship so I couldn't afford him anymore (was paying $100 per visit), so I decided to self medicate. I can feel that my skin is dry, so what I did was just get skincare that has moisturizing properties. This goes against the rule of acne, because acne is normally caused by oily skin. I can feel that once I put on the moisturizing skincare that my skin was thanking me. Guess what, I went CLEAR after a month. So much for all the "professional help" and money I spent on. I tried everything - benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, apple cider toner etc - but those things strip away more moisture.

Now, with the occasional zit I have - I am using 1% Clindamycin phosphate gel - it's an antibiotic, doesn't dry out at all, and pimple will be surpressed by 2-3 days, but the red mark will probably stay on for a while depends on severity. The only thing is that you need to constantly use Clindamycin until the pimple disappear because you don't want bacterias to gain immunity to it (much like how normal antibiotics work, you need to finish the full course). Clindamycin needs to be prescribed from where I am from.

My advice is know your skin well, and work from then on. Work with a dermatologist if needed, but make sure your concerns are aired and taken note of. If it isn't, he is probably not a very good dermatologist.

Sorry for the lengthy post. I just hope nobody went through what I did. It was a very humbling and low self-esteem episode that I went through.

Some of the things you said, I can see why you had problems. Acne can be caused by several factors; not just oil. The main thing that causes acne is sebum which IS oily, but if you have dry skin, you still need to moisturize. Benzoyl peroxide will only dry out your skin if you use too much than your skin can take.

I was lucky enough to have hardly any, people are always surprised to learn that I had acne at all.... but my skin took a reaaaally long time to stop being extremely sensitive to the sun : /

i did

i think i started around march 2013

ahhh you didn't get the initial breakout? LUCKY

those first few months were the darkest moments of my life (skin wise)

I take it like a man.

Really though, I'm 30 and still get the occasional pimple.  -_-

I find that a good diet, with plenty of vegetables and fruit, plus washing your face 2 times a day helps a lot.

YOURE 30?!

Yeah.  :._.:

Why?

unexpected

i thought u were early to mid 20s lmao

Edited by Midna

I didn't hijack it.

Don't worry I don't actually care, I really would rather my answer was answered than anything

Don't worry I don't actually care, I really would rather my answer was answered than anything

The mod said he/she accidentally merged our threads when he/she was cleaning up the section.

You'll never 100% get rid of acne. The stuff you see in stores are treatments-not solutions. What type of skin do you have? That affects the results of these products A LOT. (Include if it's oily, dry, combination, common breakouts on forehead, cheeks, nose, etc, and what type of acne)

I used these 3 and they all did a pretty good job. Just be careful if you buy these because these products all contain benzoyl peroxide which can dry out your skin if you use too much (even if you have oily skin). 

full_size_24h_kit_burst.jpg13_24hour_group_480x336.jpg6802354_320x385.jpg

Acnefree company needs to be burned  :>_>:

I used it for a week recently and it made my skin worse. 

lots of redness 

burn spots

zits in places i never had them before

Lets just say my face looks like a pizza. 

I stopped using it for a few days so far the redness has gone down a little. 

Last year I used proactiv throughout the year. It barely worked.