Sign in to follow this  
Hemlock

The Japanese Dorama & Movie Thread

I'm halfway through the second season of Ishi no Mayu. I am enjoying it but i got a little distracted with anime and was watching a lot of Kuroko lol. Also i got annoyed when the other department was keeping stuff from them and not helping each other. That stuff really bothers me in these types of shows. 

I also hate it when other departments end up being road blocks to each other even in US TV shows this type of petty behaviour/story lines happens so nothing new. Higanbana took this drama troupe to another level though. 

Any interesting looking dramas for this season btw? i haven't even checked yet since last season has burned me with the lack of subs. Jimi ni Sugoi and Yuusha Yoshihiko 3 still haven't finished being subbed yet. I might wait until dramas are done from now on. 

Tenno no Ryoriban and Tonbi got a lot from what i remember: Or they are highly rated at least. Tonbi is from 2013 but close enough to 3 years. I haven't watched the first one and only watched the first ep of the second so i don't really have an opinion on either of them.

Thanks,

Also have there been any fan favorites or favorites of yours recently? I don't really have a backlog or anything so would be nice to get some more recs.

Thanks,

Also have there been any fan favorites or favorites of yours recently? I don't really have a backlog or anything so would be nice to get some more recs.

Stuff from the last couple of years that i liked:

Mr. Nietzsche in the Convenience Store. The type of humor in it is definitely not everyone's style but i enjoy it. It's from the same person behind the Yuusha Yoshihiko series, Kids Police, Hentai Kamen, Jossy's, and he's also directing the Gintama LA. If you like those check it out. I also highly recommend checking it out because Matsui Rena is fucking hilarious in it. Best part of the show are her scenes. 

Dear Sister is what got me back into jdramas after being uninterested for a while. I'm also a Satomi fan so i might be biased. 

A Love That Makes You Cry just the tone and feel of this drama had me. It felt serious, sad, and heavy but not really melodramatic. I can't really explain it. 

Ishi no Mayu (a sequel came out this last year under the name Suisho no Kodo too) I'm a fan of crime dramas and movies but dislike the episodic stuff that japan seems to love. So this was good because it's one case. 

Good Morning Call can be fun if you like older cheesy romcoms like ItaKiss. 

Koinaka i think others don't like as much but stories about best friends who secretly like each other are my weakness so i enjoyed it. Also Honda Tsubasa is in it so i might be biased again here. 

Transit Girls is about two girls who become stepsisters and fall in love. Not anything amazing but it's different for being about a same-sex relationship and was good enough. 

Then these are stuff i've started and liked but haven't finished. They seem well liked though: 

Juhan Shuttai

Nobunaga Concerto

Thunderbolt Fantasy (idk what category this falls under but i'll add it as a drama)

Edited by Hemlock

I second ishi no may and it's sequel suisho no kodo

recent favourites of mine are:

cold case: shin jitsu no tobira

family's form

hippocratic oath

Ouroboros

rinsho hanzai gakusha himura hideo no suiri

tantei no tantei

Thanks for all the recs. Some of them sound very interesting already. Especially the matsui Rena one. Always liked her since she did gekikara.

I put thunderbolt fantasy under anime because of gen urobuchi but it's just told through Taiwanese puppet medium instead :p. Already seen it though xd.

Edited by IceHism

Is Daisho still not up anywhere? I was really looking forward to it too OTL 

Tried watching A Life and stopped half way through, felt like there was going to be makjang worth plot lines which I'm not in the mood for. Instead I started and nearly finished From five to nine and loving it and it's lightheartedness for now. 

I really hope Jimi ni Sugoi will keep getting subbed. After going through a phase of crime related shows I've all of a sudden got a craving for light hearted fluff. Recommendations are would be appreciated. 

Also watching Rakuen which has me a bit intrigued. 

Edited by silverlining

Does anyone know if Yutori Desu ga Nanika? has been fully subbed? I'm trying to find it but cant find subbed episodes past the 3rd one...  :cry:

I really hope Jimi ni Sugoi will keep getting subbed. After going through a phase of crime related shows I've all of a sudden got a craving for light hearted fluff. Recommendations are would be appreciated. 

I'm still waiting on this too OTL

Who knew a drama with the cast of Satomi and Masaki would have trouble getting subbed. 

Have you seen Good Morning Call? 

Does anyone know if Yutori Desu ga Nanika? has been fully subbed? I'm trying to find it but cant find subbed episodes past the 3rd one...  :cry:

I tried looking and only see the same as you. 

I'm still waiting on this too OTL

Who knew a drama with the cast of Satomi and Masaki would have trouble getting subbed. 

Have you seen Good Morning Call? 

i started watched before checking, big mistake to have just looked at the cast and assumed it would've been done. I haven't watched good morning call only because the cast looked a bit young to me but might give it a go if if it's good. Also does anyone know where boss season is subbed? I can only find season 2.

Does Japan censor drama content as much as they do in Korea? I've noticed that Japanese dramas don't censor blades and is willing to raise topics or allude to certain things that even Korean cable channels wouldn't dare mention.

i started watched before checking, big mistake to have just looked at the cast and assumed it would've been done. I haven't watched good morning call only because the cast looked a bit young to me but might give it a go if if it's good. Also does anyone know where boss season is subbed? I can only find season 2.

Good Morning Call gets kinda annoying in the second half but it's cute overall if you're in the mood for an ItaKiss type of drama. It's also the only recent romcom that i was able to finish so it was the only one i could rec lol. 

Gooddrama has season 1 but the video players there are kinda shitty. 

I don't remember any censoring for a drama. I have seen it happen in anime though. They don't seem to shy away from topics from what i've seen either. Not sure what topics you are thinking of but they have shown domestic abuse, child abuse, adultery, racism, homosexual relationship. Maybe not super often but it happens sometimes. People on Mydramalist seems to hate dramas about cheating lol. They can't stand it and seem disgusted that the creators would make a show about it. 

Good Morning Call gets kinda annoying in the second half but it's cute overall if you're in the mood for an ItaKiss type of drama. It's also the only recent romcom that i was able to finish so it was the only one i could rec lol. 

Gooddrama has season 1 but the video players there are kinda shitty. 

I don't remember any censoring for a drama. I have seen it happen in anime though. They don't seem to shy away from topics from what i've seen either. Not sure what topics you are thinking of but they have shown domestic abuse, child abuse, adultery, racism, homosexual relationship. Maybe not super often but it happens sometimes. People on Mydramalist seems to hate dramas about cheating lol. They can't stand it and seem disgusted that the creators would make a show about it. 

Might have to try Gooddrama then, there was a time when their players were okay and then everyone else got upgrades and they got stuck in the past. 

I maybe censoring wasn't exactly the right work but infidelity seems to occur more often in J-dramas and when it comes to domestic violence, abuse, trans, prostitution, organ black market, human trafficking etc. they seem more willing to depict it visually than just mention it in passing if that when compared to K-dramas. Also I like Japan doesn't censor brands in some K-drama's the lengths they go to is ridiculous in a bad way.

Edited by silverlining

Might have to try Gooddrama then, there was a time when their players were okay and then everyone else got upgrades and they got stuck in the past. 

I maybe censoring wasn't exactly the right work but infidelity seems to occur more often in J-dramas and when it comes to domestic violence, abuse, trans, prostitution, organ black market, human trafficking etc. they seem more willing to depict it visually than just mention it in passing if that when compared to K-dramas. Also I like Japan doesn't censor brands in some K-drama's the lengths they go to is ridiculous in a bad way.

I used to watch things at gooddrama all the time. But when i was checking it out for Boss, it was kinda slow and you can't skip ahead because it will restart the video OTL

The most fucked up thing i've ever seen in a drama happened in a jdrama. I think it was the first ep of Mother.

When Ashida Mana's parents put her in a trash bag and left her in the garbage pile. Like what would have happened if she wasn't found!  

I used to watch things at gooddrama all the time. But when i was checking it out for Boss, it was kinda slow and you can't skip ahead because it will restart the video OTL

The most fucked up thing i've ever seen in a drama happened in a jdrama. I think it was the first ep of Mother.

When Ashida Mana's parents put her in a trash bag and left her in the garbage pile. Like what would have happened if she wasn't found!  

I think the most disgusting thing I've seen so far was in Dias police: Ihou Keisatsu

suicide by tongue biting from the transexual

my goodness what I have been watching.

Quartet episode 1 is so good as expected from Sakamoto Yuji! The ending credits is really nice too.

Matsu Takako and Mitsushima Hikari are both lovely

Menimienaimono in LJ subbed it, Harsubbed versions. But you need to join the community...

Seems like it was dropped by the subber :( I still have the raws but it's so difficult to watch it without subs because there's too much dialogues.

yay the subber that did NigeHaji is picking up the Haru drama. Hopefully it's good. it sounds interesting. 

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Okaasan,_Musume_wo_Yamete_Ii_Desu_ka%3F

This was one of the few that peaked my interest a little, but at the same time I'm worried that there would either be too much of the drama that I hate or not live up to my expectations. 

This was one of the few that peaked my interest a little, but at the same time I'm worried that there would either be too much of the drama that I hate or not live up to my expectations. 

Yea i looked through this season and there was only a couple that looked interesting. Hopefully it's not too cartoon-y or over the top exaggerated. That's what i'm most worried about. 

Also, not a drama, but i checked out the first ep of this anime called Kuzu no Honkai. Really interesting and outside of brief comedic scenes, i really like the tone they're going for. 

edit: ok i just finished ep2 of that anime and i kinda want to take it back lol. Ep1 was serious and felt like a movie or drama. But ep2 added more comedic scenes and it kept switching between serious and anime exaggerated humor. Kinda disappointed but i'll keep watching for now. 

Edited by Hemlock

Just watched Totsuzen Desu ga, Ashita Keikkon shimasu. I'll keep watching to see how it goes but what I really want to know is who was singing the song at the end with the credits?