Sign in to follow this  
Hemlock

The Japanese Dorama & Movie Thread

Jimi ni Sugoi

I am disappointed in this drama. It started well but got nowhere due to lack of character depth and character development.

All characters had promise, but they ended up being one-dimensional and just plain goody-two shoes. Morio, the most interesting character who has an exciting set-up if you look at the description only - "fashion editor who must meet her superior's unreasonable demands despite having no interest in her job, involved in an affair with a married man, is enchanted, but jealous of her friend Etsuko who is everything that Morio isn't, falls in love with Etsuko's boyfriend" - just how much humanity and potential for character development there was! And how boring did the character turned out: learned to love her job, ended the affair, got over her jealousy to Etsuko, got over her feelings for Yukito... without actually exploring her feelings and, well, acting human. Etsuko, Yukito and Kaizuka were saved by the actor's personal charisma that Honda unfortunately doesn't have. No major character was developed and no major character was actually human, so all that's left is the plot which is not that good to be able to carry the drama on it's own.

I enjoyed the performances of  Ishihara Satomi, Suda Masaki and Aoki Munetaka - they weren't given much to work with, but they gave it their best shot and almost saved this drama with their charismatic performance. I'm looking forward to their next work. And I'm probably going to avoid Nakatani Mayumi's  work from now on - Last Cinderella, Dear Sister and Jimi ni Sugoi! all were a disappointment for me.

^ you didn't like Dear Sister? I really liked it. It was the drama that got me back into jdramas. I lost interest for a while because japan was in a weird obsession with episodic detective dramas for a few years. 

I've only seen the first ep of Jimi ni Sugoi so i can't say much. There's only 3 subbed eps out so i'm not even going to bother until it's done. My disappointment this year is NigeHaji. I know it's super popular and i was enjoying it a lot too early on. I just think some of the writing and logic behind the actions the characters have are really weird and weak. I had to drop it after failing to finish episode 5 after multiple attempts. 

^ you didn't like Dear Sister? I really liked it. It was the drama that got me back into jdramas. I lost interest for a while because japan was in a weird obsession with episodic detective dramas for a few years. 

I've only seen the first ep of Jimi ni Sugoi so i can't say much. There's only 3 subbed eps out so i'm not even going to bother until it's done. My disappointment this year is NigeHaji. I know it's super popular and i was enjoying it a lot too early on. I just think some of the writing and logic behind the actions the characters have are really weird and weak. I had to drop it after failing to finish episode 5 after multiple attempts. 

I watched at least half of it, maybe more - can't remember exactly. It seemed interesting at first, but quickly went downhill for me.

NigeHaji is cute. And it does have character development. I like it, but I'm not head over heels. I liked Jimi ni sugoi halfway as well, it's not bad, but it didn't come through in the 2nd half.

currently watching Fukuyado Honpo Kyoto Love Story. im a sucker for this kind of drama lol. and the beautiful scenes of Kyoto..

Ichihara Hayato is a big plus too!

kudos to the subber! http://doramaticbites.tumblr.com/tagged/fukuyado-honpo

I havent seen that drama but I'm lovin that song though!

Blitzed my way through the first 8 episodes of nodame cantabile. I love the character development and the pace of the story also allows me to appreciate more classical pieces of music.

Blitzed my way through the first 8 episodes of nodame cantabile. I love the character development and the pace of the story also allows me to appreciate more classical pieces of music.

Don't forget the specials/movies too.

• Like 1

Halfway through Suishou no Kodou. Liking it so far. Ep3 was frustrating though. I always hate when different departments hide things from each other and shit like that instead of cooperating to solve the case. 

I haven't caught up with NIgeHaji yet. The last ep isn't subbed yet so i'm not in a rush. I still think it's kinda disappointing and have problems with the writing but it's cute enough to finish. 

finally finished 1 Litre of Tears after holding it off for so long, my heart  :rlytearpls:  the feels are real  :rlytearpls:

I just have to recommend "Jin"

Jin2-p2.jpg

Some of you might already know the korean version but I personally enjoyed the 2 seasons of the orignal japanese version much more than the korean version. Even people who have already watched "Dr. Jin" should give "Jin" a chance.

Edited by Virgil

watching Liar game, since I've watched the korean remake some of the games are the same I just don't necessarily remember all the details. But even then there are some significant differenced that makes this original live action just as interesting. Nan's character as naive as she is at least seems to play a slightly more active role while on her mission to make the world around sing koombaya with her. 

I'm watching Kuroi 10-nin no Onna and while the whole thing is ridiculous, I can't help but be entertained by it  :lol:

just finished watching Always Sunset on Third Street 1 & 2 and i have to say this franchise is the true gem of them all, i'm so glad i found it. this one and Wood Job (also Shinya Shokudo) are so beautiful and precious, i had so many emotions while watching them. this genre of movies is usually slept on (at least from what i see) but hopefully Japan will keep making movies like this, they're one of the reasons i fall in love with Japan.

Does anyone know of Japanese films that are similar in cinematography as House of flying daggers, crouching tiger hidden dragon, Masquerade, the legendary courtesan hwang jin yi.

Does anyone know of Japanese films that are similar in cinematography as House of flying daggers, crouching tiger hidden dragon, Masquerade, the legendary courtesan hwang jin yi.

Like colorful artsy type historical movies? I'm not familiar with any japanese movies like that. 

Here are some historical movies though in case they might interest you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgPC74-Tde8

I liked the first 2 movies. I haven't actually watched the third one yet. I've been meaning to for years but never got around to it. 

Like colorful artsy type historical movies? I'm not familiar with any japanese movies like that. 

Here are some historical movies though in case they might interest you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgPC74-Tde8

I liked the first 2 movies. I haven't actually watched the third one yet. I've been meaning to for years but never got around to it. 

Thanks, I'll have a look into these movies.

It doesn't have to be artsy, but most of the J-Movies that I've watched generally fit the teen angst/love story feel like that's all their film industry seems to offer. Even something in a modern day setting but where all the elements of a film come together to make a masterpiece would be welcome. 

Thanks, I'll have a look into these movies.

It doesn't have to be artsy, but most of the J-Movies that I've watched generally fit the teen angst/love story feel like that's all their film industry seems to offer. Even something in a modern day setting but where all the elements of a film come together to make a masterpiece would be welcome. 

Outside of the idol-y and young adult type movies there's a lot of crime movies or the weirder or surreal type movies. Those are enjoyable but i wouldn't call them masterpieces. You could check out some of the slice of life drama type movies i guess like Umimachi Diary and Like Father Like Son. Probably don't fit what you're looking for though.

Since you named some chinese movies though, i highly recommend watching the two Red Cliff movies and In The Mood For Love. They are regarded as some of the best chinese movies and are some of my favorite. The Grandmasters might be up there too. 

• Like 1

didn't know this awesome thread existed, going to follow!

Someone recommend me a high rating / award winning drama in recent years (last 3 years)

Outside of the idol-y and young adult type movies there's a lot of crime movies or the weirder or surreal type movies. Those are enjoyable but i wouldn't call them masterpieces. You could check out some of the slice of life drama type movies i guess like Umimachi Diary and Like Father Like Son. Probably don't fit what you're looking for though.

Since you named some chinese movies though, i highly recommend watching the two Red Cliff movies and In The Mood For Love. They are regarded as some of the best chinese movies and are some of my favorite. The Grandmasters might be up there too. 

Fortunately I do love my crime related movies so if you got any recommendations to list them for me. 

Someone recommend me a high rating / award winning drama in recent years (last 3 years)

Tenno no Ryoriban and Tonbi got a lot from what i remember: Or they are highly rated at least. Tonbi is from 2013 but close enough to 3 years. I haven't watched the first one and only watched the first ep of the second so i don't really have an opinion on either of them. 

Fortunately I do love my crime related movies so if you got any recommendations to list them for me. 

These involve crime or yakuza in one way or another:
Confessions
Snow White Murder Case
World of Kanako (Hard for me to say whether this is good or not but it's a dark, twisted experience lol) 
Outrage
Why Don't You Play In Hell?

There's also some good dramas like:
Shokuzai
Ishi no Mayu
Hitorishizuka
Byakuyako

Ouroboros seems pretty popular but it felt a bit too idol-y for me. Just the tone didn't feel quite right. 

Does Mother count as crime? A teacher kidnaps one of her students and raises her. Ok it doesn't count because it's more of a melodrama but it's my favorite drama and i just wanted to take my chance and recommend it  :lol:

• Like 1

Tenno no Ryoriban and Tonbi got a lot from what i remember: Or they are highly rated at least. Tonbi is from 2013 but close enough to 3 years. I haven't watched the first one and only watched the first ep of the second so i don't really have an opinion on either of them. 

These involve crime or yakuza in one way or another:
Confessions
Snow White Murder Case
World of Kanako (Hard for me to say whether this is good or not but it's a dark, twisted experience lol) 
Outrage
Why Don't You Play In Hell?

There's also some good dramas like:
Shokuzai
Ishi no Mayu
Hitorishizuka
Byakuyako

Ouroboros seems pretty popular but it felt a bit too idol-y for me. Just the tone didn't feel quite right. 

Does Mother count as crime? A teacher kidnaps one of her students and raises her. Ok it doesn't count because it's more of a melodrama but it's my favorite drama and i just wanted to take my chance and recommend it  :lol:

I loved Ouroboros and enjoyed ishino mayu and the second season which they named something completely different. I quite like the mystery/crime stuff that WOWOW come up with. 

I loved Ouroboros and enjoyed ishino mayu and the second season which they named something completely different. I quite like the mystery/crime stuff that WOWOW come up with. 

I'm halfway through the second season of Ishi no Mayu. I am enjoying it but i got a little distracted with anime and was watching a lot of Kuroko lol. Also i got annoyed when the other department was keeping stuff from them and not helping each other. That stuff really bothers me in these types of shows.