Photo

Korean man says k-pop girl groups are glorified strippers, prostitution and cheating is normal, and the thirst for white women is REAL strong...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
80 replies to this topic

#1 tamar braxton

tamar braxton

Superstar

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:28 PM

In South Korea of course.

CREDIT: http://twentyfirstar...-and-women.html

My Observations of Conscripts and Women

During my time in the Army, I got to know more about Korean guys, especially Korean guys near my age. It's kind of weird saying I got to learn more about the very demographic I'm a part of, considering I had friends in middle-school and went through one hellish year of an all boys public high-school here. But those were all experiences as teenager. As adult, I have never really hung out with other Korean guys except for at church, and nobody there is being honest anyway.

In the Army, I've had plenty of exposure to the behaviors and sometimes thoughts of hundreds of mostly 20-something Korean men. I guess you can't help it if you live with them 24/7. One of the more interesting observations was the relationship between Korean guys and sex/women. Of course people are people and everybody is different in someway. Not everybody is like how I'll describe. But this experience also opened my eyes to some tendencies and general mentality of people as well. Things like...

K-Pop Girl Groups are Glorified Strippers

This may not come as a surprise to those who follow K-Pop or read James Turnbull's excellent blog, The Grand Narrative, as it's no secret that many female (and male) musicians and celebrities use their sexuality to sell themselves. In K-Pop, this issue may be more complicated than it appears initially. Anyway, the realization didn't really hit me until sometime during my service. I knew Korean guys, especially sexually deprived conscripts, liked female celebrities (duh, right?), but I didn't know how bad that affection was. I learned that Korean conscripts in general are obsessed with K-Pop girl groups, in particular Girls' Generation. By obsessed, I mean really obsessed. A good example of this is rapper Psy's description of his military service.

In this show, Psy says he was made to stand guard while watching the TV so he could alert senior conscripts that Girls' Generation was on it. While it wasn't that extreme in my unit, it was quite normal to see guys flock to the TV whenever GG or other good looking female celebrities were on air. Every Friday and Saturday, when the major networks have those "music" shows parading group after group, entire units would stay glued to the TV. Guys would watch the same music video or performance repeatedly so they could oggle at the girls. Their bare legs exposed, sexy dancing, and terrible music (not a secret among conscripts either), it was pretty obvious there was only one reason for these "musicians" to exist. These girls are glorified strippers, covered in the thin veil of "music" so it doesn't seem as creepy and sad as going to a strip club. For conscripts, it's usually the only form of sexual gratification they're allowed while on base.

a.jpg
The TV in my squad's living quarters was better though.

Prostitution is Kind of...Normal

I don't mean guys would sell their bodies on base. That'd be disgusting. What I meant was that going to visit prostitutes while on leave is normal. This probably applies to civilians as well. According to this article, 4 out of 10 Korean men have visited prostitutes last year. I can't find the article, but I also remember reading how a large portion of Korean men lose their virginity to prostitutes, especially during military service. Prostitution is a hidden yet an important part of Korean society. However, I never really knew how prevalent it was. 

It wasn't uncommon to hear guys talk about the brothel they visited after returning from leave or discuss which ones they should visit before leave. What was interesting to me was how nonchalantly the matter was discussed. It wasn't some secret or an act they're ashamed of; it was rather normal. It was just something you did since you're a guy. Some guys would ask me if I ever went to one, and when I'd answer no, they would act mildly surprised. 

While I'm not against prostitution myself (I think it should be legalized), it was and is still technically illegal in this country and soldiers doing illegal shit isn't something the military wants. Our commander would form us up and hold regular lectures on the dangers of prostitution. One of my COs informed us of the risk of diseases and the illegality of it. But knowing how prevalent it is, he concluded, "If you're going to pay for sex, don't use your card since it can get traced back to you!"  

If a guy wants to get fucked by a hooker, that's his business, but I found it weird that how many young guys in their twenties considered it one of their go-to activities. Do they even have the money for it?

Cheating is Normal Too Apparently

This may or may  not come as a surprise, but cheating on your significant other was dealt with similarly to prostitution. Next to prostitutes, the other most popular topic of leave (food and video games came next) was meeting girls. This would be normal except even guys with girlfriends indulged in this particular pastime. Guys would talk about how they went drinking with a girl and tried to get into her pants and their girlfriend wasn't there. Visiting hookers while being romantically involved isn't strange either.

I was actually exposed to this mentality before my entry to the military. In the company I briefly worked at, I was shocked the first time a married coworker in his thirties asked our boss for the company card so he and some of the other guys could go to a room salon during one of the company 회식s. The guy also egged me to go and when I refused, he asked me if I didn't like women, and when I said I have a girlfriend, he punched me in the chest, which he promptly apologized for when he remembered that I consider trading punches a fun activity. What equally surprised me was that our boss (a woman, if it makes any difference) didn't seem particularly disgusted by the guy despite knowing he was married.

So I assumed this sort of behavior was normal among older Korean guys, but I did not expect it in guys my age and younger. Once again, cheating on your significant other is your business, but it is still a shitty thing to do. Shittier than a single guy going to a brothel in my opinion. But that's my opinion. I noted how normal it seemed to everybody else and moved on.

White Chicks Are a Special Prize

The sexuality of white women in Korea is probably a well-discussed topic on the internet among expats in Korea. There's probably some debate over how much Korean guys want to bang a white chick or how white girls are considered "trophies." I don't think this is really a matter of debate as the seeming abundance of prostitution establishments specializing in "white horses" and internet posts asking "Where can I ride a white horse" attest.

Here are a few of my military experiences that served to confirm what I already suspected. One of the most common things new guys get asked when they first arrive at their unit is their sexual and romantic history. Since I lived in the States, it was almost expected when they went, "OMG! Did you date a white girl? How was it? Was it good?" Yes, I did date a white American girl during my time in the US. I must've hit the jackpot because I soon became known as "the guy who rode a white horse." Later, guys whom I have never met before would come up to me and remark, "Hey, you fucked a white girl didn't you?" Okaaay...

One of my seniors in my platoon was an expert on prostitution in Korea. The guy was a sad loser who gained his knowledge via first-hand experience. Lots of first-hand experience. Dude once talked about the time he went to a Russian prostitute like it was an accomplishment.

Superstar K, an American Idol type show, was very popular. There was a Korean-American contestant name John Park who was accompanied by a white girl during his audition. When he and the girl hugged, the guys watching the TV went, "Whoaa. Lucky bastard." This seemed to be a common response to any form of intimacy between an Asian guy and a white girl.

I've heard guys proclaim their wish to "ride a white horse" or wonder what a white girl feels like more than I can count.

This isn't really related to the topic, but once during visitation hours, I saw a white girl on base to visit what I'm assuming was her conscript boyfriend. It was memorable because everybody was glancing at her and you could totally tell they were thinking, "Look, a foreigner. What's she doing here?"

Marriage is Cool

This was a very interesting observation. It didn't seem as common as the aforementioned prostitution and cheating, but it offers a strange contrast. Especially considering some of them were the same people. On one hand cheating and fucking hookers is normal and on the other, getting married is an important goal in life.

I found it intriguing how guys in their twenties would express their desire to settle down. Watching a TV drama about marriage, some guys would exclaim, "Damn I wanna get married." They reminded me of young girls in the States day dreaming about their wedding and infatuated with fantasies of living happily ever after.

I don't know what else to add to this other than wonder why this is. At an age where sleeping around as a much as possible is biologically wired into them, and in a society where prostitution is illegal yet accepted, getting married is a desire for these guys. Is it because they're indoctrinated? I'm not sure what these guys thought went down in marriage either. Do they consider the hows and whys? What purpose are they after in getting married?

Maybe nobody bothered to share such thoughts with me but it should be noted that the military is a place where seniors use their juniors as sort of vessels to pour their thoughts and opinions on. And the lower ranking guys would have no choice but to listen.

In conclusion, the observations I've made were interesting. To me anyway. I'll add more if I think of any but I think this is pretty much it.

#2 mirrorpurple かがみムラサキ

mirrorpurple かがみムラサキ

ロマンスコメディ の 神

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,409 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:30 PM

:omgwtf:

too lazy to read but i somewhat get it

this guy is sick....

#3 Jeffrey Jung

Jeffrey Jung

DΞΔN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,565 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:30 PM

that explains the whole over the top white Hollywood stars worshipping

#4 Gigi13

Gigi13

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:31 PM

:wth:

#5 sane

sane

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,550 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:32 PM

Most idols sell their bodies to the fans. That's how it works  :hoplz:

#6 Athena

Athena

legend

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,524 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:33 PM (Edited by Athena, 13 January 2014 - 09:38 PM.)

That was an interesting read. It explained a lot of things. It also explained why fans shouldn't really be proud and in your face about their bias groups topping a "most wanted girl groups in the military" chart.

#7 aripod

aripod

NOTARIOUS

• PipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:33 PM

It's not prostitution if they're not sleeping with them. They should've stuck with the word "stripper" seeing as its more fitting. Anyways, this is old news. Why is it such a big deal that sexuality is presented in KPOP when it's also present everywhere else? In literature, in movies, commercials, etc. There's sex everywhere.

#8 trisha

trisha

₩ and only

• PipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:33 PM

"where can I ride a white horse"

what the 

#9 ♥SNS-Shinomiya♥

♥SNS-Shinomiya♥

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,035 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:34 PM

This doesn't suprise me.

#10 iv7

iv7

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:34 PM

Fun read  :datass:

#11 Infinity

Infinity

Hime

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:36 PM

That was an interesting read. It explained a lot of things. It also explained why fans shouldn't really be proud of their bias groups topping a most wanted girl groups in the military chart.

Poor Apink  :omgwtf:  :unimpressed:

#12 Ruby Faith

Ruby Faith

Imanesque

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:36 PM

Interesting read.

#13 SimSimi

SimSimi

Chatting Robot

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:38 PM (Edited by Invader Sim, 13 January 2014 - 09:39 PM.)

this guy is sick....

Apparently you didn't get it and you should probably read things before replying. These were his observations about how certain things are generally viewed by men in the Korean military, not by himself.

#14 ✴✧SeoulYoon✧✴

✴✧SeoulYoon✧✴

Superstar

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:38 PM (Edited by yoominjaeyunsu, 13 January 2014 - 09:41 PM.)

That was an interesting read. It explained a lot of things. It also explained why fans shouldn't really be proud of their bias groups topping a most wanted girl groups in the military chart.

Agreed. Topping that chart is creepy.

Apink... :horror:  -_-

#15 kissxkiss_baby

kissxkiss_baby

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,333 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:38 PM

Then why did the Seven and Rain cluster fuck occur..............

#16 Jeffrey Jung

Jeffrey Jung

DΞΔN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,565 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:39 PM (Edited by Howonnie, 13 January 2014 - 09:40 PM.)

this guy is sick....

i'm pretty sure this was only in military

though whether they are changing their views after their services are different issues

however this gave me insights that being in Military Service can be sexually depraving lol

#17 MintWasted

MintWasted

Idol

• PipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:39 PM (Edited by MintWasted, 13 January 2014 - 09:49 PM.)

That was really interesting

Does anyone know interesting personal blogs like this?

I want to read more of these type of blogs.

#18 Skibop!!

Skibop!!

B2UTYful Say A; GiKwang's Wife & Jia's Mistress

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,433 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:41 PM

So basically guys are indecisive.

#19 LionRock

LionRock

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:43 PM

Interesting and very informative!

#20 s4a

s4a

Cheshire

• Tech Administrator
  • 8,417 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:43 PM

So basically guys are indecisive.

Yep. Apparently, this author learned that men are indecisive and like hot women. You learn something new every day...

Up, Up and Away!