• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cahbr

• MadameVastra

• YamaChan

• sparkilene

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mr.Ambiguous Piano Man Um Oh Ah Yeh (2) (3) You're the best (2) (3) Decalcomanie (2) (3) Yes I am (2) Starry night (2) Egotistic (2) Wind flower (2) gogobe

'TWIT(ë©ì²­ì´)' - Hwasa | Released: February 13, 2019     'Lie Ya' - Cosmic Girl feat. Solar | Released: October 13, 2018     'Selfish' - Moonbyul feat. Seulgi | Released: May 23,

I'm not going to bother with spoilers. Thread isn't bustling right now anyway.   The moral of the story remains everything in moderation.   As the radish field expands, there's really nothing we c

Wheein with the Choreography Director

I'm going to assume this is the first time Mamamoo didn't come up with the choreo by themselves. I really like it, it fits the song, but it still has that Mamamoo feeling and doesn't interfere with their singing too much. :ohla:

CH30Q7sWoAAbkLa.jpg

• Like 1

I have just now watched the MV and listened to the title track for the first time. And I will give you my super short review, which might be unpopular by some. Who knows, here goes nothing;

So, as I have not done my research on what the song is actually about or what the lyrics are, I think it will be only fair for me to judge the song based on melody, beat, genre etc alone.

After listening to this song 3-4 times, I am not feeling it. The song is by no means bad, and others might find this style of music very appealing, but to me this is sort of boring. And the whole song has just lost the MAMAMOO feel, where you have insane vocals and rapping.

I am all for MAMAMOO trying to explore new genres, but with the talent they have, this is a hit-and-miss for me. There is really nothing about it that showcases their talent at all. Maybe the last third of the song reminds me of how much I love MAMAMOO as a group, but unfortunately that is not really good enough for a 4 minute song.

To summarize my super short review, the song is too generic. If I didn't know it was MAMAMOO, it could has well been any other girl group out there atm, which is a shame, because MAMAMOO is known to have their own style that differs from everyone else and I feel like they have gone away from that.

One thing I am very happy about, is that the MV, compared to other girl groups, is not over the top sexual. So props to MAMAMOO and their company for not falling into that horrible trap.

If you think I am the most stupid and idiotic person ever to write this, please give me your point of view instead of just negging me. I would love to hear what you think, and when I read the lyrics in English, I might change my mind ^^,

• Like 4
  • Dislike 1

Well, probably most of the "old" Moomoos (who fell for the retro sound style of Mamamoo) will tell you "Um oh ah yeah" is their 2nd or 3rd favourite truck of this new mini album - I count myself between them too. I find that "No no no" and "Self Camera", maybe even "Freaking Shoes" are better suited to my tastes and are more Mamamoo-style that I like, but that doesn't mean Um Oh Ah Yeah isn't a good song - I really like the song, it's just that the other three are better. So, I think you're entitled to your opinion and I agree with you that it's more "generic sounding" then their earlier lead singles. But I strongly disagree about them losing their Mamamoo-flavor or trademark sound. There's still a lot of harmonizations and duets and some high notes but they are mostly kept in the adlibs and back vocals and only rarely in the main/lead parts, so that the song it's just not filled to the brink with high notes. Not every song can be a "Road to Sampo" with killer vocals dropping high notes every other second. In a way I'm even happy it's like this, since they will not need to strain their vocals too much in every song. It's better this way for their longevity. This track is structured to be more radio-friendly and easily digestable, with a more modern sound, more singalong style, so they'll get much more new fans. I find it is a cool compromise: lead single for new fans, the rest of the album for the "old" fans ;)

So, in short, I think you just don't like the general style of the track, which is tottally ok. I'd suggest you to check the album, you won't regret it and you'll find a lot of great songs for which you (probably like me) like Mamamoo so much.

Edited by bergomi1
  • Like 4

I'm not going to critique your opinion of the song, because music is one of the most subjective experiences we enjoy and it would be a waste of your time and mine to argue your taste in music. For instance, I absolutely love 90s style R&B music, so to hear Mamamoo's tackle it really struck a chord with me and I love their title track.

What I will critique a little are the fans who are trying to package Mamamoo into a little box of retro sounds and tunes from the 60s. I think it's a bit of a fallacy to say something isn't "Mamamoo's sound", because I think the beauty of Mamamoo is that their talents, vocal colors and ability to own the stage allow them to tackle almost any genre of music successfully.

Mamamoo can take any genre and (I know this is a generic phrase, but it applies) truly make it their own. This was late 80s/early 90s R&B with that Mamamoo charm to it. Freakin Shoes was a crazy bass-driven almost hip hop track that the girls masterfully sing/rap just as well as their songs that bring us back to the 60s.

If Mamamoo dropped a track that sounds like it could be in Unpretty Rapstar, I wouldn't think "Ugh..this is so not Mamamoo's style. Where's my retro?", I would think "Oh shit! Mamamoo is tackling a 100% hip hop concept. Can't wait!"

If you read their interviews, the girls WANT to try out a variety of different genre. The fact some of us aren't a fan of their ventures through different music styles shouldn't be an indictment against Mamamoo; it's a reflect of our differing tastes if anything.

A lot of you would prefer more music like Piano Man. I would prefer more music like Don't Be Happy or Freakin Shoes. It's preference. The beautiful thing is that Mamamoo is so superb that they will own both concepts and satisfy both camps.

You don't like Freaking Shoes or UAOY? Listen to No No No or Self Camera then!

I think people fighting over their "sound" are missing the beauty of Mamamoo's talents. At least that's what drew me to them and kept me around

• Like 11

Honestly, if going mainstream is how they will get people to recognize their talent and gain the recognition they deserve then I'm all for it. Plus it's not like this is the last song they'll ever release. Most new groups come out as typical cookie cutters and develop their own sound and style after years...they can release the craziest songs and still get #1 because they have built their fan base/foundation. Mamamoo is still in their experimental phase so I believe KDH knew Mamamoo needed a more mainstream song to grab the general audiences attention first before going for something most people aren't used to hearing. Personally, I prefer Uh Oh Um Yeh over Piano and Mr.Ambiguious so I think it's nice that they're also reaching out to listeners like me who aren't too crazy about the retro sound...although I have to admit when I felt heard the song it felt too "girl group" to me but it really grew on me after awhile and I love the instrumental. Dont be happy, peppermint chocolate, and he he hi he oh are still my top favs though...still waiting for a song that can top those three for me. (OK I still need to check out the whole album so maybe I really will find songs that top these 3...will go listen after I write this!!)

I see this happening to famous bands all the time...like Epik High, Coldplay, maroon 5 etc. with every album release they'll have people saying their sound is becoming more commercialized. It's kind of a war artists can never win...come out with similar stuff people will say all their stuff sounds the same, come out with different stuff people will say they're loosing their roots.

Edited by biscuits
  • Like 5

It seems like in the peak hours when Koreans are actually awake, Mamamoo stays in the 20's and 30's. That's more normal, and good. Maybe a music show win would be too unrealistic, but this is still a successful comeback.

Hmm,... Mamamoo fell when it was 4-6am in Korea. Now it's 8h30 AM and it's again rising:  :ahmagah:

(posted by Mamamoocharts on twitter a couple of min. ago)

CH5nav0UAAACGeZ.png

Edited by bergomi1
  • Like 1

Okay just heard the album- everyone who doesn't like Uh Oh Um Yeah style should go listen to No No No because it's EXACTLY what you guys are looking for!!!!! I could imagine them deciding to promote either song and eventually picked Uh Oh Um yeah...Personally love Self Camera though, my fav of the album.

• Like 4

Since I don't understand Korean and there's no subs yet... can anyone explain to me what's Park Boram's role in the MV?

btw, i love this new song!!! 

She's either plays Moonbyul's younger sister or is a close female friend to Moonbyul.

This was the dialogue:

*Boram enters*

Boram to Moonbyul: Unnie, who's this girl?

Solar to Moonbyul: You're a girl! OMG

Solar finds out that Moonbyul is a girl and not a guy :lol:

• Like 3

It seems like in the peak hours when Koreans are actually awake, Mamamoo stays in the 20's and 30's. That's more normal, and good. Maybe a music show win would be too unrealistic, but this is still a successful comeback.

hm more like the 10s and 20s.

There probably will not be a music show win for next week.  The song will only have two days to chart instead of the 6/7 days for this week. But I still think they'll debut in the 30s on Gaon DA chart.

How the song does next week is more important.

She's either plays Moonbyul's younger sister or is a close female friend to Moonbyul.

This was the dialogue:

*Boram enters*

Boram to Moonbyul: Unnie, who's this girl?

Solar to Moonbyul: You're a girl! OMG

Solar finds out that Moonbyul is a girl and not a guy :lol:

ahahaah the MV makes so much more sense now. Thanks!

Does anyone know how physical sales are doing, or are we going to have to wait a week?

You can find out on Hanteo but you need a membership to view it. So instead for non-members Hanteo only shows the sales of the artist in the #2 spot. The Top 5 is being dominated by big boy groups so we'll probably only be able to see sales/shipments when Gaon uploads their monthly album chart next month.

Edited by Athena

I already posted it on here.  :imstupid:

I mostly wanted to endorse the google chrome feature, it makes it possible to have the video streaming even when you need to be hearing something else. This is essential since muting the youtube video itself would invalidate it as a view count (that's what I heard) so you'd need to mute either your whole computer, or the tab (which the function I linked to makes possible). Here's the link again on how to mute individual tabs on chrome :) 

I can;t sleep so i'm gonna translate some comments on the mini album off Melon 

1. [+608, -42] Compared to recent girl groups, in terms of ability aren't they on top?

2. [+297, -10] How should I put it.. I really think Mamamoo are something special. 

We're in a period where nowadays idols are just filtering out, but Mamamoo aren't stuck in a rigid mold, and the members each have their own qualities, and their music and concepts are overflowing with personality, they seem like a winning girl group.

It's not easy to find a current girl group like this. In current boy groups you have groups like Block B which sort of have their own style, and had personality, but within girl groups, I don't think there's any other group even similar to Mamamoo. 

3. [+288, -13] Congratulations on 1 year Mamamoo!

4. [+278, -20] Between rookies, this group has a clear color that can't be matched! Seems like they're going to clasp mass public appeal with this title song! Happy 1 year anniversary~

5. [+200, -8] This song is at least top 10 worthy 

(referring to UOAY)

6. [+197, -13] Supporting you, Mamamoo

7. [+149, -10] There's not one bad song, I really hope they blow up big this time.

8. [+111, -4] Considering other rookies, the song quality is really good.. Even just judging their facial expressions and dancing, you can definitely tell there is a difference between them and girl groups who only know how to flirt and pretend to be pretty. They're charmingã…‹ã…‹

9. [+109, -4] Ooh, "No no no" and "Sting" are really good

Edited by lunaandartemis
  • Like 9
  • HimawariAmu changed the title to [Official Mamamoo Thread] MAMAMOO & MOOMOO Forever