Forums Rules Staff Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
HimawariAmu

[Official Mamamoo Thread] MAMAMOO & MOOMOO Forever

Which universe you prefer?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Solar's universe you prefer?

• Princess
    • Boxer
    • Rockstar
  2. 2. Moonbyul's universe you prefer?

• Music video director
    • Choreographer
    • Entertainment CEO
  3. 3. Whee in's universe you prefer?

• Environmentalist
    • Painter
    • Indie artist
  4. 4. Hwasa's universe you prefer?

• Mother
    • Musical actor
    • President
  5. 5. Favorite MAMAMOO member?

• Solar
    • Moonbyul
    • Whee in
    • Hwasa
    • OT4

I enjoy the hate because then I can use my gif collection 

tumblr_nln85kYgH21u92k49o1_250.gif

lQfZNs7.gif

• Like 1

I don't think that's possible. Mamamoo is quite possibly the craziest girl group I've ever seen off stage, and that's directly connected to the vibrant and powerful stages they put on, I'm sure.

Trust Kim Do Hoon. He won't let their souls get sucked out by the business.

• Like 2

One thing to keep in mind is that RBW, and Kim Do Hoon in particular, seems to really place an emphasis on making fantastic music and the creative process behind it. After all, Kim Do Hoon didn't form his company out of desperation; he was already revered as one of the best composers and producers in the business. His company is a labor of love, not something he's staking the family name on. After all, before Mamamoo even made their debut, there was a lot of hype within the industry because they were "Kim Do Hoon's group."

So it's not like KDH was hurting for cash to begin with. His passion for music led him this far undoubtedly, so through a well-documented selection process, he wanted a group of girls who share that same passion for music; that's why the production of Mamamoo's music is collaborative and the girls have the opportunity to channel their creative energy into their music, image and choreography. KDH is their enabler, and you can tell how much they appreciate the fact he's willing to let them have in say in their musical colors. 

This is far different from companies and CEOs who want to control every single detail of the production and micro manage their idols to the point of insanity, because they're putting everything on the line through their artists. And it's not like a company that wants to portray a certain image and smothers the voices of their artists.

Kim Do Hoon obviously loves music. He is a composer. Mamamoo loves music. They want to self-compose their own album in the future. It's a beautiful marriage, and I'd say it ranks among the best in the business, and it's only been one year.

I think it speaks volumes that both KDH and Mamamoo gave acceptance speeches for awards at the Gaon Music Awards. 

KDH gets it. I don't see him as the kind of person who would let profit margins suck the life and fun out of Mamamoo. 

• Like 4
  • Dislike 1

Forreal? Could this year possibly get any better for Mamamoo? I knew Hyuna's girl crush on Mamamoo would pay off at some point but I didn't think it would be this soon!

I can't believe we're still talking about this. To the people who are obviously migrating from the Hwasa cornrows thread to here, please stop. There's already one cesspool topic available for you to post all the opinions you want about "cultural appropriation"; do not bring that tragedy here. 

When I see the thread move so quickly, and it's not even because of conversation really related to Mamamoo's activities, to say it's annoying would be an understatement. Most of the people getting on pedestals have no idea what they're talking about regardless, so let's let the group specific K-pop thread actually be about K-pop. 

Seriously. It's enough.

Anyway, can anyone tell me when Mamamoo's IS2 performance is going to air? If Solar can't win Masked Singer, then maybe as a group Mamamoo can finally conquer IS2. 

And is this turning into an all-time great promotion cycle or what?

Weekly Idol, Immortal Song 2, Show Me The Money 4, Hyuna featuring, potentially appearing on Masked Singer..Korea will not let Mamamoo rest.

Someone should put together a Mamamoo achievement list for this Um Oh Ah Yeah comeback. It would have to be incredible.

Also....anyone going to LA for their first concert in the states? I want to know who I should be on the lookout for!

Edited by YamaChan

Wait, Mamamoo's coming to America?

http://www.koreaboo.com/concert/mamamoo-perform-2015-los-angeles-korean-festival/

Yup! Booked my flight already! I'm so there.

IS2 is airing on the 29th! I would love it if they won, but I saw the line-up. Ali and some other heavy contenders will be there. Have to hope for the best, but honestly just being on the show will bring them attention whether or not they win. So I'm happy!

So close but so far away :( But we're really getting spoiled by all of the love Mamamoo has been receiving. I'm also thrilled with how much attention they've received. The Korean public absolutely loves everything about these girls. 

Almost as if Mamamoo is the female idol group they've been waiting for :)

Woah, you're going!? So lucky  :rlytearpls:

Hope everyone who goes has fun and brings back some goodies to share with us!  :ohbi:

Yes!  :chu:

I told all my friends (I pimp out Mamamoo to everyone I know, K-Pop fan or not) that when Mamamoo finally performs state side, I would book a flight immediately.

Well...I wasn't expecting for that to happen so soon or suddenly in the midst of their promotion cycle, but I keep my word at all times. So...I will be there! 

Apparently a lot of people attend this festival, so I'm prepared to battle to get a front row seat for them.

MAMAMOO in Music On TV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErC2Flmy1nk

Them doing fanchant for Mr. Ambiguous but failed lol

Moonbyul calling her bestfriend Minji - Minji sounds so cute on phone

And Solar forever being the victim

I think Wheein has found her calling! She was a spectacular host. Thank God this was in Japanese. I could understand roughly 75% of it! 

LOL @ Hwasa cheating and using her Bestie Wheein for the little competition they did. 

And Solar has been taking Ls this entire comeback. 

I might be going. There are some in the Mamamoo line chat who also are going. 

Cool stuff. Well, I may or may not bump into you guys! Not that you'll know it's me, if you do show up. I'm looking forward to meeting other Mamamoo fans in addition to seeing them perform though.

They have backup dancers ?? So used to only seeing these 4 on stage... and its the same costumes from music core and similar lighting? Did they do in on the same day? 

I am ready to get slayed again..

EDIT: 

Someone in the youtube vid is saying that Mamamoo is lip-syncing in the SMTM performance. I really can't make out coz it seems live to me (I can hear wheein's voice so distinctly over the music) and I don't want to argue if there is some background vocals as the person is saying... 

"dude I know mamamoo they are beasts. best vocalists ever. but they are not singing. the MR is louder than them. just listen. it's like only Solar sounds like she is trying  too hard to stand out over the loud MR"

I don't think it particularly matters, as they were just featuring in support, but I highly doubt they were lip-syncing. They were most likely singing live and the MR was extremely loud. You couldn't even hear Basick for one part of the song, and we know he was live.

Our numbers are bolstering! Soon we will gather enough to officially form the Radish Republic of (Mama)Moo. 

I wonder if anyone will have a Radish mask for their LA performance  :raep:

• Like 1

I'm glad to hear they're already planning a comeback in the near future. My perfect scenario was for Mamamoo to get their names out even more by showcasing their talents on all the big variety shows (IS2, STM4, MS, Weekly Idol, etc.) and then just transition into another comeback.

Exhausting? Yes. But the fancafe number and album sales speak for themselves. People want more Mamamoo.

Plus, I'm being greedy and want to see them get a music show win before the year is out.

RBW really has their shit together. They know exactly how to promote the girls.

• Like 2

I want them to rest, but when it comes to securing your place in the entertainment sphere, you MUST strike while the iron is hot. Look at EXID for instance. As soon as Up and Down became an overnight sensation, after Hani's fancam went viral, they were busy with a relentless schedule of activities that quite honestly still hasn't been dialed back just yet. Hani is everywhere, the members are shooting CFs or doing different varieties and their star is shining brighter than ever.

The situation isn't the exact same, but Mamamoo is experiencing a remarkable surge in popularity and RBW has the Midas touch right now. If you're gone from the public sphere too long, and you're not a living legend like Big Bang, Wonder Girls or SNSD, it's hard to regain all that momentum. I'll reference EXID again and compare it to how Every Night was a huge hit for them, but they were forgotten about and lost all their public recognition during their hiatus. 

I don't want Mamamoo to exhaust themselves, but the opportunity right now for them to legitimize themselves as a literal top girl group within a year and change is here. 

It's both a blessing and a curse their schedules have been so packed, but I'm sure if you asked any K-Pop idol in any company, they'd rather have a packed schedule than nothing at all.

Late October to mid-November is what I'm hoping for. We're almost in September. That's not far away! 

EDIT: I just got ninja'd by glitterpop  :imstupid:

Edited by YamaChan
  • Like 1

I'm more on board with the people who prefer a late October comeback. November and December seem nice, but awards season is going to take away a lot of attention that should be directed towards Mamamoo. October seems like the perfect opportunity to get one last hit song in.

It most certainly won't be early October, because they'll be in the states during that time span.

So realistically, their comeback will be in late October or later this year. 

My worry is not that Mamamoo will suddenly lose all popularity; it's not like that happened in the gap between Mr. Ambiguous and Piano Man and Ah Oop! My worry is that Mamamoo may lose an opportunity to secure themselves a position as a dominant trending group right alongside EXID. 

Public awareness is easily at an all-time high right now. And there's no time like the present in entertainment. 

Of course I want them to rest too. Moonbyul almost concussed herself at ISAC, Solar has been struggling with back problems and now even Wheein just twisted her ankle...but let's not forget it is a labor of love for them, and the astounding success of their recent comeback caught even them off-guard. 

The Korean public loves them and their fandom has increased exponentially. They are all over some of the biggest variety programs. They're still in the top 30, 2 1/2 months later, despite Big Bang, Wonder Girls, SMTM4 songs, IC, SNSD, Sistar and other big names charting with them...

I look at it like this (because I just love making EXID comparisons--love those girls too)

Um Oh Ah Yeah was Mamamoo's Up & Down

Now Mamamoo needs to release their Ah Yeah to capitalize. 

I trust RBW, and specifically Kim Do Hoon, not to push the girls past what they can handle. From what I've seen from all their interviews, KDH is making sure all they do is sleep in their downtime during these busy days. Thankfully.

Would coming to the states count as a vacation? It'll be nice for them to get out the country and finally greet their American fans, and I imagine they may enjoy some of local festivities while they're here.

Ah Yeah might have done well but most agree that it was disappointment and way too similar to Up and Down. I don't want MMM to be stuck doing similar things as UOAY just because it does well - don't want them to end up like SISTAR in terms of repetitiveness and lack of creativity or musicality.

It's only natural that they carry on with the public friendly title tracks; which I understand and support just as long as the album itself is very much true to them.

The context in which the comparison was made was simply to say Mamamoo needs another big hit to follow up their astounding success with UOAY. I'm not concerned about the stylistic choice, because Mamamoo can own any style and practically any genre.

Ah Yeah may have been similar to Up and Down, but it was still a major hit for EXID that solidified them and dismissed talks of them being one-hit wonders. I literally just watched a popular variety show where Ah Yeah was used as the backtrack. 

Besides it's not like Mamamoo isn't a little greedy for another big hit. They've all said they want to hit #1 and Moonbyul at least admitted to chart watching (and who could blame her?), so I'm just hoping for the best possible outcome for their next comeback, as that's what the girls want. 

I doubt they will. They hinted that they wanted to show the public that they can do this style of music last year in an interview. If anything we'll get one of the more retro-styled songs again.

I saw or read an interview where Hwasa or someone said they would eventually return to do retro style songs after they secured their names with the public.

I guess whether or not their next song will be retro depends on if Mamamoo and RBW feel they've accomplished that with UOAY.

Btw, UOAY is retro. I feel like people keep writing it off as a public friendly song, as if 90s R&B wasn't at least 15 almost 16 years ago >_>

On EXID:

I don't know how anyone could consider Ah Yeah anything but a huge success for them. They beat out legit competition in Miss A and JYP for their music show wins and the song literally just left the top 50 on Melon even though it came out 4 months ago. Objectively speaking, it was a very successful comeback.

Edited by YamaChan
  • Like 2

I personally wouldn't mind seeing a more modern R&B/Hip Hop concept from Mamamoo.

My reasoning is simple:

Reason 1. The girls want to do it. No, really. Every time someone asks what concept they'd like to try, they are almost unanimous in saying they want to do R&B/Hip Hop. Unleash the beast, I say.

Reason 2. Hip Hop is a huge trend right now and it's growing. Mamamoo already got their feet wet by featuring in Basick's track "Stand Up"; now I want to see them get a song all to themselves...preferably won't that won't draw unflattering comparisons to Macklemore

I know a lot of people who want that 60s old school concept would cry foul at that, but I'd love to see the girls pull it off. A R&B/Hip Hop Mamamoo blend. Heck, they could go the Wonder Girls route and make it retro anyway.

Last thing on EXID

I think Ah Yeah was a success mainly for the fact that all of the haters were predicting it would be a massive flop and their only hit song would be Up and Down, as if they were lucky to go viral but their 15 minutes of fame had expired. 

That the song was still a hit, won nearly as many music shows, is nearing 25 million views on yt and solidified them is a big win. Look at it this way:

There's a reason Hani didn't cry during their first public broadcast win for Up and Down but did cry like a baby when Ah Yeah won on Inkigayo. EXID was really worried that people would treat them as a one-hit wonder! I don't think you have to worry about them producing similar sounding title tracks from this point on

I think January is a good time for a comeback. December is just too busy and clogged up with year end awards and celebrations where as January offers them a bit more time and room. I think as long as they keep performing and appearing in public for the rest of this year then they don't neccessarily need to have a comeback so soon.

Yeah, but the whole reason we're discussing this is because Mamamoo themselves said they're already working on either a new song or album. I don't think they'd bring it up at a fanmeet and build anticipation, unless they planned on releasing it this year. Not to mention their final UOAY stage where they said "We'll be back soon!" four different ways. 

I'll be stunned if they don't have at least a new single before the year is up

tumblr_nt32uovuuU1r1jt24o2_r2_250.giftumblr_nt32uovuuU1r1jt24o1_400.gif

Did someone post these ? It's...Ah... Uhm...

The part right before Moonbyul grabs Solar's ass is the best part. She just sneaks over all conspicuously, ready to execute the perfect assault....no pun intended

Edited by YamaChan

That was FLAWLESS. I guess they keep going first because they're incredibly new to the music scene compared to the people they're going up against, but that was just phenomenal. 

Mamamoo is going to change the game, I swear. K-Pop girl groups aren't supposed to be this fiercely talented and spectacular at performing.

I was floored by every part of that. Hwasa's opening. Wheein and Solar's harmonies. Moonbyul's aggressive rap, and she joined in the harmonies at the end.

These girls are really something else.

Oh, so they screwed by the random number generator. Gah! I was really hoping they'd secure a win this time. They totally owned this stage.

And we were all worried about their solo activities, but each member is getting her shine.

Everybody loves to collab with Wheein and Hwasa, Moonbyul will be in a drama and Solar is rocking Masked Singer and gaining a reputation as a complete package idol.

It was a needless concern after all. There won't be a forgotten member like other groups struggle with.

By the way, I stole this from the Lovelyz thread because look at Mamamoo's increase!

CNn7arnUsAEmddE.jpg:large

At their rate of increase, they could threaten for the top 5 by year end, no?

Edited by YamaChan
  • Like 2

It's all in good fun. That third part was the most hilarious one for me. Solar nailed Jimin perfectly.