Forums Rules Staff Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
HimawariAmu

[Official Mamamoo Thread] MAMAMOO & MOOMOO Forever

Which universe you prefer?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Solar's universe you prefer?

• Princess
    • Boxer
    • Rockstar
  2. 2. Moonbyul's universe you prefer?

• Music video director
    • Choreographer
    • Entertainment CEO
  3. 3. Whee in's universe you prefer?

• Environmentalist
    • Painter
    • Indie artist
  4. 4. Hwasa's universe you prefer?

• Mother
    • Musical actor
    • President
  5. 5. Favorite MAMAMOO member?

• Solar
    • Moonbyul
    • Whee in
    • Hwasa
    • OT4

Yay. Finally the discussion I've been starved for in this topic. You all know I have an opinion on this. I'll try to keep it short.

First of all, vanbun what were you trying to link earlier on the last page? It doesn't work.

But seriously, I feel like there has always been a little tension within the radish field on the direction of Mamamoo's music and how we would each like to see it progress as they develop as artists.

My stance is that I don't focus on whether they're being retro and "staying true to their roots" nor do I think they should "sell out" and stick to a mainstream sound to continue their incredible momentum. None of that matters an iota to me, because I don't equate a specific genre of music or style to Mamamoo.

To me, Mamamoo is simply synonymous with great music and dynamic performances, so I have the expectation that they can tackle any sound of almost any genre, make it their own and deliver like they've always delivered. That may not always result in a song every last moomoo can enjoy to the same degree, but music is so subjective that that should have never been the case in the first place.

A lot of moomoos love Piano Man, but that's not even a top 5 song for me personally. Opinions on music will be inherently varied because music is an inherently subjective experience.

All that said, because of the aforementioned stances I have on Mamamoo's music, there's this thrilling feeling of anticipation and wonder when Mamamoo is about to release new music, because it could really be anything and I trust them to own it.

Nobody in this thread saw "1cm" coming and look how well that song did. 

At this point, I have trust in Mamamoo and RBW not to have a letdown, because in my opinion they've never had one. 

YamaRant done. 

Can ya'll tell I'm so ready for comeback time?

I love everything in your opinion. :rlytearpls:

I'm honestly not worried about the direction of their music, because I know that whatever sound or concept they want to try next, they will make it special.

quite off the topic right now but the stage was wet due to the rain today, Wheein and Solar almost slipped and fell.

:cry:  :cry:

So now both of my bias ggroups had problems with the rain yesterday  :unsure: They need to be extra careful now, this is so close to their comeback, I don't want them to be sick or injured. Not them too...  :cry:

guess it's time to get out of my lurking period again!!

wow i've never seen a fandom that has such a civilized discussion about their faves before.

Tbh since I really have no opinion on this matter, I'll just keep it short and sweet. I don't care what style or concept they go for as long as I enjoy the music. but regarding concept, it's funny how people mention wonder girls (who I am a fan of as well, first girl group I ever stanned) yet the way they do retro is very different to how mamamoo does retro.

So now both of my bias ggroups had problems with the rain yesterday  :unsure: They need to be extra careful now, this is so close to their comeback, I don't want them to be sick or injured. Not them too...  :cry:

Okay. what is it with these event organizers? can't they do something about it if all the groups performing at the venue are being affected by the weather?? good lord...

wow i've never seen a fandom that has such a civilized discussion about their faves before.

Tbh since I really have no opinion on this matter, I'll just keep it short and sweet. I don't care what style or concept they go for as long as I enjoy the music. but regarding concept, it's funny how people mention wonder girls (who I am a fan of as well, first girl group I ever stanned) yet the way they do retro is very different to how mamamoo does retro.

Okay. what is it with these event organizers? can't they do something about it if all the groups performing at the venue are being affected by the weather?? good lord...

Sometimes i get this vision that we moomoos are holding a conference meeting discussing things about mamamoo except we all wear radish onesies with occasional ones wearing the mask discussing seriously and professionally. :happy: 

Don't be afraid of coming out of lurk mode, the radish farm is mostly chill but sometimes really crazy  and I love that SinB DP you have.

Edited by kaichi

I know that everyone in this forum want the group to do well and be as successful as possible, because they have the talent and they deserve it. But my biggest fear is that 'Mamamoo' abandon their identity to try to achieve mass popularity, you know? I think the retro sound of their songs was something very original for a k-pop group, and something you immediately identify with 'Mamamoo' . I don't know if I explain myself very well... That doesn't mean they can't do something popular AND great at the same time, of course not! I'm just saying that I hope they maintain their originality and all that differentiate them from the rest. That was the reason I started listening to their music.

So I wanted to ask you guys a question: what do you prefer? A song that is a commercial success no matter if you don't like it, or a song that is not so popular but  you like A LOT. 

Because I would take the second option anytime. 

Cheers, bye!

pd: i didn't mean to offend anyone.

I think a groups success isn't always reflected in music charts. Lets not forget that they've had solo concerts already. Other groups who've had huge chart success haven't even had that, and many have been around a lot longer than Mamamoo.

They're a young group, but their management give them a lot of freedom when it comes to musical direction and style. And I think that is one reason why they wouldn't go full on with a mainstream sound as a group. It just isn't their way.

The other reason I've already mentioned; the success of their solo shows. Add to that the popular reality shows etc, and you can see that there is no pressure for them to become more mainstream/fully mainstream.

If they keep on writing and making music that I enjoy, music they enjoy making and performing, then I have no problem with which direction they take. 

When are they comming back anyone? Can't wait to see them on weekly idol. :chu:

Edited by mamawoohoo

Wait, did MMM perform at DMC 2016?

Nope. They had a fansign for Pocky and performed at the Seoul International Fireworks Festival today

Tomorrow they perform at Asia Song Festival. I think you'll be able to stream that live on VApp. I'm very excited and glad for them to be invited.

EDIT: Also! If anyone is interested in looking at all Mamamoo's daily memo photos, I have updated the photo album here:

Moomoo-Cafe Photo Gallery - Daily Memos

I still have to get the last couple that were just posted today and yesterday, but it should have everything.

Edited by sparkilene
  • Like 4

True. Wonder Girls and BEG made a name for themselves in their own unique ways, which is exactly how Mamamoo is doing it. RV and Mamamoo are the most original new gen ggs imo and I hope they continue doing what they do. Personally I love the retro sound and I fell in love with Mamamoo because of it (and also their perfect harmonies). I didn't think I ever wanted them to stray from the typical retro sounds, like jazz and doowop/harmonies, but then 1 cm came along and changed my mind. Whatever they do, they will always make sure that it has that signature MMM vibe, so I don't think we have to worry about them straying from their musicality or usual sound. I don't know, I'm pretty neutral about them exploring genres because I have so much faith in RBW and MMM. 

Edit: Btw, I lowkey really hope they come back with a grand, Broadway sound. 

Edited by Aes
  • Like 3

I hope they go full retro and hit us with some gregorian chant.

No, but in all honesty an ideal comeback for me would be a double title track, double mv -- something like how You are the Best and 1cm worked except with a more even distribution. One in their public-friendly funky line and one in something that branches out more -- maybe a more 1cm-style jam or a chill groove. I would say full jazz because Hwasa and jazz are a union from the gods but I don't think it'd suit the whole group's style.

Anyway, in the long run I'll just trust RBW because they obviously know what they're doing.

• Like 1

quite off the topic right now but the stage was wet due to the rain today, Wheein and Solar almost slipped and fell.

:cry:  :cry:

I hate it when groups are made to perform in the rain. And I hate it even more when members slip/fall but carry on, and then people say its professional. Its not professional! Its a goddamn health hazard  :twitch:

I hope they go full retro and hit us with some gregorian chant.

I didn't think I could want something so bad but here it is.

I really would like to see MMM release something like AHH OOP! or Gentleman again. AHH OOP! is what got me into MMM and Gentlemen is just a great song. To me, they're two of their best. I know a good few of people don't feel the same but the style of them are my favourites.

This is probably a long shot but if they do go for a ballad in the future, I hope they do something with an emotional orchestral sound. I don't know how they would do with it or how it would sound but it could be really beautiful to hear, no?  

Edited by MooMoorionette

Feck I'm so late but I feckin hope Wheein and Solar didn't get hurt. They really should stop making performers perform on stage if the entire stage IS A SLIP HAZARD. Come on Korea, you can do better than this!!!

I literally gasped out loud so hard watching Wheein slip and fall.. FECK!!

• Like 1

Sometimes i get this vision that we moomoos are holding a conference meeting discussing things about mamamoo except we all wear radish onesies with occasional ones wearing the mask discussing seriously and professionally. :happy: 

Don't be afraid of coming out of lurk mode, the radish farm is mostly chill but sometimes really crazy  and I love that SinB DP you have.

20161009175021138olkg.jpg

20161009175310157kznp.jpg

There is too many... Some of the pictures are on spoiler

20161009174736989deiw.jpg

20161009173927476ingf.jpg

20161009175317773zkvd.jpg

20161009175228767vrcu.jpg

20161009175805863wjzg.jpg

20161009175942944iagd.jpg

20161009180202110wfoz.jpg

Edited by vanbun
  • Like 5

Mamamoo already performed stand up and you're the best on asf with basick....

It will mostly be sm artist who is gonna be the ending act... Sigh

Yet, moomoo don't need to wait long

That's a good thing...

I wonder when will mamamoo be the ending act?

Edited by vanbun

20161009175021138olkg.jpg

20161009175310157kznp.jpg

GUYS. NEW HAIR. NEW HAIRRRR.

CuUEZP5VIAAWYPZ.jpg

Okay, so does anyone notice how Hwasa looks a bit like Shannen Doherty during her year as a Charmed one?

Here's the picture if you guys don't know her or the show:

Season-1-Credit-charmed-631002_500_375.j

Charmed was my favourite series growing up, and I love Shannen as a witch there.

And when I saw that picture you guys posted, Hwasa really looked like her since Shannen also has green-ish eyes (and I know Hwasa was wearing contacts) but the combo of those lenses and her short black hair do... Damn. I can't miss it.

Even so, I kinda dislike the back part of the hair. It makes her looks gorgeous from the front, but when I see it from the side, the back part doesn't look flattering.

Mamamoo already performed stand up and you're the best on asf with basick....

It will mostly be sm artist who is gonna be the ending act... Sigh

Yet, moomoo don't need to wait long

That's a good thing...

I wonder when will mamamoo be the ending act?

only time will tell :lol:

but honestly i'm not that surprised. some people still consider Mamamoo rookies although they debuted in 2014 and have achieved a lot of things. just give it another two years, they will be one of the big names of Kpop and being one of the ending acts of those festivals will be just an obvious thing, i can totally see it :)

Edited by Dolores Haze
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1

Good god all of the hair!

Does Moonbyul read this thread or what. How many people we're begging for silver-haired Moonbyul a while ago lol.

Hwasa with a fringe! Why didn't I think of it before? She looks so good. 

Wheein back to black (or dark brown) looking gorgeous as always.

Solar and her ever unchanging hair :P I think it's gonna be a long time until she changes her hair again after the wig incident (even though I thought she looked cute).

A comeback is coming, I can taste it! They're really making us hang on aren't they :P.. or are we just impatient lol