Forums Rules Staff Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
HimawariAmu

[Official Mamamoo Thread] MAMAMOO & MOOMOO Forever

Which universe you prefer?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Solar's universe you prefer?

• Princess
    • Boxer
    • Rockstar
  2. 2. Moonbyul's universe you prefer?

• Music video director
    • Choreographer
    • Entertainment CEO
  3. 3. Whee in's universe you prefer?

• Environmentalist
    • Painter
    • Indie artist
  4. 4. Hwasa's universe you prefer?

• Mother
    • Musical actor
    • President
  5. 5. Favorite MAMAMOO member?

• Solar
    • Moonbyul
    • Whee in
    • Hwasa
    • OT4

i love this song soo much i cant wait for the actual release  :ahmagah:

we can still spazz  :chu:

also, i love you (just thought you'd know that you have a fangirl)

wen i first saw the guy at the beginnin without lookin properly i thot it was eric nam nd i was like dafuq?!! wpyXLf7.gif

and omg ily2 hun im so touched rn 4Eb17cm.gif

Don't let the discussion prevent you from doing your thing here. I didn't start this discussion to hog the entire thread.

lmaooo dnt mind if i if i doooooooooo bPmCGWQ.gif

as soon as i enter, the party stops #myimpact, when will all of u hav the same impact? T7zbflI.gif

lowkey sad... 4Eb17cm.gif

that's the dream, my friend

yibyul - was that Charice? If its who Im thinking of then blesssss.....

my question here is... if Koreans view artists that market themselves to the international market as tryhards then can any kpop act truly succeed with the Korean public's approval into the "Western" music market without being unfaithful to their culture?

lets look at artists like Dean for example; his official debut was in the USA but I gather he's hella popular in SK too - his song was played a lot here in the UK and I think the USA... is it considered a slap to the face by knetizens for an artists to be a traditional idol then for them to release material that is more internationally mainstream (like western pop)....

I gather from stages like Solar's sexyback that actually mamamoo are incredibly good at it and would get the support but there will always be salty haters... when is it tryhard and when is it embracing the musicality of other genres?

Charice isn't from mine tho... she's amazing! I lub her.

Hmm.

Okay I genuinely don't know a thing about Dean :derp: but if he's famous enough to have his song played outside SK then props for him!

But I suppose he has this distinct style of himself? Music and all? And still respect his own roots? Then no wonder he's successful on his own.

I think...but yeah this is only my opinion...to avoid being a tryhard is, never forget your own identity. Never forget your roots and try to be someone else that people around you can't recognize.

If you happen to know Anggun C. Sasmi, she's very, very famous internationally and locally as a singer. She has her classy-sexy style, the rock sound she never once lose, and her unique vocal color that no one has. But did Indonesians condemn her for being a tryhard? No. Because she's always been that way even before she migrated to go international. I even forgot she's still an Indonesian whenever she talks in our language bcs she has this thick accent I also have when we speak Javanese. It was only when she speaks English/French did it dawn to me that, "Wow, she's the Anggun C. Sasmi."

Mamamoo... I can see them appeal to both culture. If they want to be the first artists to be successful in America, I think they can (unless CL is able to do that). They know how to appeal to the Korean GP although their music isn't something you can find in Kpop, and their personality (that can make Westerners shock bcs of how blunt they can be) STILL appeal to Koreans, so ... Yes I think they can.

I just wanna say that I love how we can have serious discussions and the usual fangirl discussions here too!

As for the tryhard comment it kind of bothered me a little but I didn't really dwell on it since I had no idea what it meant although I somehow defaulted that it had a negative connotation. On OH, people who call idols tryhards usually mean that they see the idols that make reactions are "too much" or "over the top" for them (a standard example would be Hani who seems to get flack for her reactions). I think Kayden is in the right as for what the comment actually meant.

Lol and there is an obvious lack of Mamamoo articles being translated from NB because of the weird but great blessing that there are hardly hate comments about Mamamoo and if there are it was usually about Hwasa's curvy body, which koreans don't seem to like because of their beauty standards as compared to how many people in the west like curvy bodies, and about Solar because of the PS thing or the fact she is on WGM with Eric Nam and fangirls are jealous af.

I wonder why it is Mamamoo gets so little hate?

i came here 2 spazz about the mv but i see yall r havin a srs discussion so i'll cum bak @ a bettr time wpyXLf7.gif

I just quoted because of the solar gif. its my fave

we can still spazz  :chu:

also, i love you (just thought you'd know that you have a fangirl) 

get in line, moomoo! choahjumma is my ultimate bias of all the hoes on OH

Don't let the discussion prevent you from doing your thing here. I didn't start this discussion to hog the entire thread.

I come here to hog the thread :imstupid:

as soon as i enter, the party stops #myimpact, when will all of u hav the same impact? T7zbflI.gif

lowkey sad... 4Eb17cm.gif

we are but lowly peasants!

EDIT: Love your DP. Cheng Xiao deserves all my attention...

Edited by Kayden411

@yibyul - eeeeep sorry I got your country mixed up. DONT HATE ME. For real about your singer (I haven't heard her music but theres a lot of people I know of and I have never seen their body of work) BUT in the same way I feel the same.

there are artists I love like sean paul, gyptian, popcaan etc and everytime they have a reggae hit become big im like "its more pop/rnb then reggae but its good" but im not against them doing the crossover they need to do - worst comes to worse, someone checks out their older tracks and likes all their music.

people are scared of losing their national identity but if done right it wont be, easy for me to say though as a Westerner!

@baechulgi - I just think Koreans are a proud people (meant in a positive way, always be proud of your people!) so when artist go to get international success or act like artists from other countries do they may see them as "selling out". not meant in conjunction with MMM but I just meant in general.

either way.... the mv and song are lit

so after that mind blowing experience that is Mamamoo pre release I have calmed down enuff to say I fucking love the song and I'm super happy Byulie got much more lines  :rlytearpls: also it does hurt that the song is called New York and I fucking love the city so much I want to go back  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  #Iamasteamedradish #prayercircleforSabi  :chu:  :chu:  :chu:

get in line, moomoo! choahjumma is my ultimate bias of all the hoes on OH

we are but lowly peasants!

plz stan me for great quality mama mama moooooooooo threads!! 2YI49nU.gif

i still dnt hav a new pc or laptop (stuck usin ma ipad) so yall need to wait for a new thread 4Eb17cm.gif

u guys rnt lowly peasants! if yall r lowly peasants then im the lowest filthiest scavanger in north west london pMtFJiv.gif

Edited by ChoAhjumma☕
  • Like 1

plz stan me for great quality mama mama moooooooooo threads!! 2YI49nU.gif

i still dnt hav a new pc or laptop (stuck usin ma ipad) so yall need to wait for a new thread 4Eb17cm.gif

u guys rnt lowly peasants! if yall r lowly peasants then im the lowest filthiest scavanger in north west london pMtFJiv.gif

I should have known you were NW... youre literally 20 mins from my ends.... in

what world am I graced with this?

lowest filthiest scavenger... is it wrong I wanna steal that as a member title for myself now? you legit need a new laptop. get your ass to brent cross fam and buy it asap! (you a rich ahjumma aint ya?)

I should have known you were NW... youre literally 20 mins from my ends.... in

what world am I graced with this?

lowest filthiest scavenger... is it wrong I wanna steal that as a member title for myself now? you legit need a new laptop. get your ass to brent cross fam and buy it asap! (you a rich ahjumma aint ya?)

yaaasss london heauxx!! T7zbflI.gif

les share the title, recently learnt sharin is carin, and thts wat she said too ayyyyye!! bPmCGWQ.gif

i hav the money but i either dnt hav time bcoz of wurk or im lazy af like today... uni startin nxt week *sigh* 4Eb17cm.gif

image.jpg

And because I am lazy...

http://m.star.naver.com/MAMAMOO/news/end?id=8244656&langCode=ko

It's funny how many editor (in this article and variety show like show time, mmm bts, etc) said that moonsun is official couple from mamamoo lmao..... Many people ship them.

Plus it's a bonus since there is a lot of mamamoo bts in that article

English Version for the article

http://m.star.naver.com/MAMAMOO/news/end?id=8244656&langCode=en

yaaasss london heauxx!! T7zbflI.gif

les share the title, recently learnt sharin is carin, and thts wat she said too ayyyyye!! bPmCGWQ.gif

i hav the money but i either dnt hav time bcoz of wurk or im lazy af like today... uni startin nxt week *sigh* 4Eb17cm.gif

I feel that. Im lazy af but.... needed it for fap material so... priorities!

aye lets share it. best 25000won I will ever spend! you can share cheng xiao with me too

I feel that. Im lazy af but.... needed it for fap material so... priorities!

aye lets share it. best 25000won I will ever spend! you can share cheng xiao with me too

wat a mess, a real damn mess... 9DHcQZi.gif

i installed tumblr on ma ipad so ive been likin ma wheesus pics so wen i get ma pc, im good to go! T7zbflI.gif

'Mamamoo' is better than a double cheeseburger with fries.

• Like 2

Expected more MooMoos to be in here begging to be the next ones to get disciplined by Instructor MoonStar  :hurr:

Moonbyul with any kind of eyewear should be illegal

• Like 3

I think I brought the topic at the wrong time.

Besides, I already know about how negative Pann and NB can be, but there are things that we can discuss from there, instead of merely dismissing them 100%. But I guess I'm the only one who thinks this way, so.

This is what I meant in my post. I love how you always gets me, Kayden. (I hope you can get married with Solar soon!)

I guess the comment indeed has that connotation.

And I figure people in the "Eastern" region (as opposed to the "West") live with the culture that if someone is being more western then they are condemned as being unfaithful to their own culture. This kind of thinking is so outdated for me and I just don't like it. That is why the comment is problematic because it may contain this kind of ideology.

I wish we will never see this kind of comment again. I don't care if the person means that as a compliment but if they bring this tryhard again, then it's their loss.

As someone who has been born and raised in the West with an Eastern culture, I'd like to throw my two cents in here.

I have to agree that while the West usually encourages individuality and doing what you want, the East is more focused on image and what's best for the community. So it's not a big surprise if Easterners are condemned or mocked when they exhibit more Western traits...because to emerge from that kind of homogeneous culture completely different from everyone else, it is a little unusual and people typically shy away from what they consider "strange". From what I've observed, I think Easterners trying to reach out to and merge with Western culture can be seen as snobby? That might not be the right way to describe it, but it's like they're too good for their culture or something. I'm neither surprised nor particularly offended that Mamamoo is considered "tryhards" (I mean-they can be called so much worse). Didn't CL get hate for trying to break through the US entertainment industry too? At least netizens are still praising our girls.  

Expected more MooMoos to be in here begging to be the next ones to get disciplined by Instructor MoonStar  :hurr:

True. But I hope she wears eyewear in their next MV too

• Like 1

The word used in that NB article is 허세부리다 which I always find hard to translate in a non-awkward way but I personally wouldnt translate that as tryhards.

Naver dictionary has it to mean "bluffing, putting on a false show" A lot of the time when that word is used its in situations where someone is showing off or acting like they're all that.

So I guess the comment is saying that its okay to show you have a lot of confidence in yourself if you have the talent to back it up. Lol Since in korea its usually more about being humble i guess they see people who are confident they are good at something as showing off

• Like 11

The word used in that NB article is 허세부리다 which I always find hard to translate in a non-awkward way but I personally wouldnt translate that as tryhards.

Naver dictionary has it to mean "bluffing, putting on a false show" A lot of the time when that word is used its in situations where someone is showing off or acting like they're all that.

So I guess the comment is saying that its okay to show you have a lot of confidence in yourself if you have the talent to back it up. Lol Since in korea its usually more about being humble i guess they see people who are confident they are good at something as showing off

That's exactly how I interpreted it, Yoongi. The comment is basically saying Mamamoo can talk the talk AND walk the walk.

Thanks for the clarification Yoongi, that's what it seemed like to me within the context but translations can often be awkward and easily misconstrued. Being bilingual and living in a bilingual country it's pretty easy for me to see just how much gets lost in translation. That's why I admire people who can do it well ^^.

Moonbyul isn't typically my type, but that scene.. *fans self*. Consider me in line  :hurr:

Thank you for clarifying this Yoongi. When I read the english translations of this article, I didn't think that "tryhard" comment would have a bad meaning to it. Well, Mamamoo can show definitely show some confidence in themselves because they've been working hard and have the talent to back it up.