Forums Rules Staff Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
HimawariAmu

[Official Mamamoo Thread] MAMAMOO & MOOMOO Forever

Which universe you prefer?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Solar's universe you prefer?

• Princess
    • Boxer
    • Rockstar
  2. 2. Moonbyul's universe you prefer?

• Music video director
    • Choreographer
    • Entertainment CEO
  3. 3. Whee in's universe you prefer?

• Environmentalist
    • Painter
    • Indie artist
  4. 4. Hwasa's universe you prefer?

• Mother
    • Musical actor
    • President
  5. 5. Favorite MAMAMOO member?

• Solar
    • Moonbyul
    • Whee in
    • Hwasa
    • OT4

Guys i can't really figure out the 3rd hint.. WHERE ARE THE DETECTIVE MOOMOO?!?! my brain is going to explode any minute now.. Still trying to figure out the hints... RBW IS KILLING ME IN MANY WAYS

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk

That one comment about Mamamoo being a tryhard bugs me a bit.

So, I want to start a discussion with you guys.

Do you agree with that? I don't.

Do you think the commenter's "tryhard" comment is referring to the fact that Mamamoo is singing a song about another city, another country, and as a matter of fact, another culture?

But isn't the song about the hilarious experience of a girl lyring to her boyfriend that she's gone to New York?

Do you think some people judge the song too soon just because of its title?

What about being "tryhard", is it the same case in your culture that when someone releases a work of art about a different culture, then it's considered as "being a tryhard"?

I'm sorry for throwing a lot of these questions, but I just want to have a nice discussion with you guys, since for me this fandom is not like other fandoms, and I mean that in a good way.

Also, I'm asking all of these questions just in case there is someone here who comes from SK, so you guys can answer my questions and fulfill my curiosity.

I personally think they're not being a tryhard. Like I said, and the song itself proves, that the song isn't about kissing some country's ass, nor even trying to heavily promote some other city and culture. The song is just about a girl's experience for lying to her boyfriend, right?

Because, in my culture, when someone is trying to kiss ass about some other culture, the society here will judge the person as being a tryhard and even as far as condemning the person to be "forgetting his/her own root". But that's so harsh, and I don't like the way the society here thinks most of the times, so I disagree.

I saw that too and did a double take on the title of the article tbh I was expecting some harsh comments and I don't even know where. Where I come from being a "try hard" our saying someone is one is not exactly a compliment so idk what they meant by that.

I think we should also keep in mind that some things might get lost in translation so :( but I'm glad basically every comment was positive.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

I saw that too and did a double take on the title of the article tbh I was expecting some harsh comments and I don't even know where. Where I come from being a "try hard" our saying someone is one is not exactly a compliment so idk what they meant by that.

I think we should also keep in mind that some things might get lost in translation so :( but I'm glad basically every comment was positive.

Yes, there may be things that get lost in translation, that's another factor.

The reason that it bugs me is that it seems like a compliment, but when you take a look closer, if the person really did use the word that has the closest meaning to "tryhard" in the language he/she's using, then it's not really a compliment as well.

But I am so relieved that the comments are mostly nice and positive. NB and Pann are notorious for being so negative when it comes to certain Kpop groups and idols.

NB article most comment are positive though. Only the thread title and a single comment mention tryhard.

Sent from my Lenovo A7000-a using Tapatalk

Thanks, chochu :chu:

In the thread about NB comments. It's posted in this forum.

But like I said in that thread, I know that the comment wasn't meant to be harsh. I think whoever said that meant that as a compliment, but it's just interesting to see the way he/she thinks about the concept of being a tryhard. That's why I started this discussion.

Ah, tbh, I don't think much about it. I take it as a funny comment - or a nudge I give to my friend when we see something funny/weird. The journalist - I think - is making fun of how the girls make an elaborate plan just to have a taste of New York but even though they did it, they still look adorable and lovely...just like what I have in mind when I watch the MV (which plot is still meh to me). Not really in a bad way, not at all.

But yes. 'tryhard' can mean something negative as well. It's like, if RBW + Mamamoo came up with full swag for their Taller Than You MV complete with hairstyle, hip hop outfit, and lose their 'root' as you mentioned, then we can definitely say they're a tryhard in the exact meaning.

I hope I explain it well.

• Like 1

Yes, there may be things that get lost in translation, that's another factor.

The reason that it bugs me is that it seems like a compliment, but when you take a look closer, if the person really did use the word that has the closest meaning to "tryhard" in the language he/she's using, then it's not really a compliment as well.

But I am so relieved that the comments are mostly nice and positive. NB and Pann are notorious for being so negative when it comes to certain Kpop groups and idols.

I'm really relieved too. The thing is, I don't see anything on the mv that could possibly be interpreted as the girls being "tryhards". They are just having fun and everyone has thought about vacations in NY at least once, I'm sure. So I don't even see the point of saying something like that.

I'm glad everyone recognizes their talent and are wishing good things for them and anticipating their comeback.

• Like 1

Do you think the commenter's "tryhard" comment is referring to the fact that Mamamoo is singing a song about another city, another country, and as a matter of fact, another culture?

But isn't the song about the hilarious experience of a girl lyring to her boyfriend that she's gone to New York?

What about being "tryhard", is it the same case in your culture that when someone releases a work of art about a different culture, then it's considered as "being a tryhard"?

I'm sorry for throwing a lot of these questions, but I just want to have a nice discussion with you guys, since for me this fandom is not like other fandoms, and I mean that in a good way.

Also, I'm asking all of these questions just in case there is someone here who comes from SK, so you guys can answer my questions and fulfill my curiosity.

I personally think they're not being a tryhard. Like I said, and the song itself proves, that the song isn't about kissing some country's ass, nor even trying to heavily promote some other city and culture. The song is just about a girl's experience for lying to her boyfriend, right?

Because, in my culture, when someone is trying to kiss ass about some other culture, the society here will judge the person as being a tryhard and even as far as condemning the person to be "forgetting his/her own root". But that's so harsh, and I don't like the way the society here thinks most of the times, so I disagree.

Ah, yes. Even the actual article calls them tryhards, and some other comments...

Yes, they were like "even for tryhards, they did well..." I was too, wondering what they meant by that, cause really I didn't see any kind of "tryhard" attitude? I guess they meant as in trying to be like kinda bad girls or something? That's what came to my mind when I read that. But the plot and feeling of the mv is obviously silly. The girls were just being silly, and everyone knows mamamoo are recognized by their good vocals and silliness.

I guess they could also be referring to that about kissing some country's ass. To be honest, I have no idea. Maybe is a culture thing. In my country is the same, sometimes.

I'm not from Korea, nor America, so I can give any opinions about the people's thoughts on that /:

But it kinda annoys me too, like where do they even see any kind of tryhard attitude? like??? ok??

• Like 1

tbh the commenter prob doesn't really get what a tryhard actually is

I thought it only had to do with the story/plot/concept of the MV/song, no? Thought the comment was just a playful and sarcastic remark and nothing too serious (it doesn't even have that much downvotes).

Edited by acadz_

Lol. I didn't even blink at that one NB comment. I just assume the original meaning of the comment was lost in translation or they didn't really know how to use the word "tryhard"

The absolute last thing I'm worried about is Mamamoo's perception in Korea. They have enjoyed incredible immunity from practically any negativity from the K-Netz and have a reputation in Korea as the girl group you can trust. 

I wouldn't worry about the statement. 

• Like 1

I thought it only had to do with the story/plot/concept of the MV/song, no? Thought the comment was just a playful and sarcastic remark and nothing too serious (it doesn't even have that much downvotes).

I know it wasn't serious, but what comes out of it is an interesting issue.

Lol. I didn't even blink at that one NB comment. I just assume the original meaning of the comment was lost in translation or they didn't really know how to use the word "tryhard"

The absolute last thing I'm worried about is Mamamoo's perception in Korea. They have enjoyed incredible immunity from practically any negativity from the K-Netz and have a reputation in Korea as the girl group you can trust. 

I wouldn't worry about the statement. 

You probably missed my point. The comment did bug me but it's just for a bit. I don't lose sleep over that either.

But what comes out of the comment is what's interesting for me and I just want to discuss about it. For me, since I have been studying about languages and cultures as well, when it comes to an individual's way of thinking about other people is not my business but it's always interesting to be studied. And that was the case with that comment.

I was just trying to discuss about "being tryhard". What's your views on that? Obviously a lot of (if not all) MooMoos agree that Mamamoo is not being a tryhard, okay, I get it, but what's your opinions on "being tryhard"? How is that measured in your society?

But if you guys just want to dismiss that, it's fine. I was only looking for a discussion, which rarely happens in OH (and it seems like it's getting rarer than ever). You guys can forget about this and continue streaming. No hard feelings.

Edited by AbsoluteGarbage

So, basically all of the people now don't even bat an eyelid on whatever's posted on NB or Pann? Okay, then. Noted. I'll make sure not to get "too worked out" next time.

Guys i can't really figure out the 3rd hint.. WHERE ARE THE DETECTIVE MOOMOO?!?! my brain is going to explode any minute now.. Still trying to figure out the hints... RBW IS KILLING ME IN MANY WAYS

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk

you can listen to the clip here

• Like 1

So, basically all of the people now don't even bat an eyelid on whatever's posted on NB or Pann? Okay, then. Noted. I'll make sure not to get "too worked out" next time.

Most will dismiss Pann since there are a lot of immature, bitter fans there.

NB only occasionally post positive articles. I don't mind reading her translations..but often times, she translated articles that doesn't have enough upvotes it's laughable (for example, when some accused Mamamoo of plagiarism on Taller than You and its logo - red heels and "1").

I think it's okay if you want to discuss any articles about Mamamoo in the future. It's just to us here, the 'tryhard' comment - perhaps - doesn't bother us as much as the stuffs we have to bear last week (Mamamoo's stage cancelled, Solar got sexual comments, Wheein was edited out a lot in Happy Together). And we all agree anyway that Mamamoo doesn't need to be a tryhard. We all know they take pride on their work and never once strayed from their path.

Don't get too discouraged to discuss such things here. [emoji4] [emoji4]

• Like 5

I know it wasn't serious, but what comes out of it is an interesting issue.

You probably missed my point. The comment did bug me but it's just for a bit. I don't lose sleep over that either.

But what comes out of the comment is what's interesting for me and I just want to discuss about it. For me, since I have been studying about languages and cultures as well, when it comes to an individual's way of thinking about other people is not my business but it's always interesting to be studied. And that was the case with that comment.

I was just trying to discuss about "being tryhard". What's your views on that? Obviously a lot of (if not all) MooMoos agree that Mamamoo is not being a tryhard, okay, I get it, but what's your opinions on "being tryhard"? How is that measured in your society?

But if you guys just want to dismiss that, it's fine. I was only looking for a discussion, which rarely happens in OH (and it seems like it's getting rarer than ever). You guys can forget about this and continue streaming. No hard feelings.

personally I wouldn't mind discussing more about this tryhard comment if nothing more than to look at it as to see why it was even mentioned - okay we can sit here and say "they didn't even know what it meant" yet its used accurately for certain past winners of UPR....

Personally, I think that knetz use it in a way to say more Western - everytime I've seen it, its been used with the connotation that someone is trying to be more American etc. But did they mean it in a negative way? Or is used as a colloquialism the way I would use the phrase "dead" - is it a flexible phrase?

it is an interesting point and id kill for some interesting conversation on OH right now...

image.jpg

And because I am lazy...

http://m.star.naver.com/MAMAMOO/news/end?id=8244656&langCode=ko

It's funny how many editor (in this article and variety show like show time, mmm bts, etc) said that moonsun is official couple from mamamoo lmao..... Many people ship them.

Plus it's a bonus since there is a lot of mamamoo bts in that article

Edited by vanbun
  • Like 2

image.jpg

And because I am lazy...

http://m.star.naver.com/MAMAMOO/news/end?id=8244656&langCode=ko

It's funny how many editor (in this article and variety show like show time, mmm bts, etc) said that moonsun is official couple from mamamoo lmao..... Many people ship them.

Plus it's a bonus since there is a lot of mamamoo bts in that article

who are moonsun? :imstupid:

Most will dismiss Pann since there are a lot of immature, bitter fans there.

NB only occasionally post positive articles. I don't mind reading her translations..but often times, she translated articles that doesn't have enough upvotes it's laughable (for example, when some accused Mamamoo of plagiarism on Taller than You and its logo - red heels and "1").

I think it's okay if you want to discuss any articles about Mamamoo in the future. It's just to us here, the 'tryhard' comment - perhaps - doesn't bother us as much as the stuffs we have to bear last week (Mamamoo's stage cancelled, Solar got sexual comments, Wheein was edited out a lot in Happy Together). And we all agree anyway that Mamamoo doesn't need to be a tryhard. We all know they take pride on their work and never once strayed from their path.

Don't get too discouraged to discuss such things here. [emoji4] [emoji4]

I think I brought the topic at the wrong time.

Besides, I already know about how negative Pann and NB can be, but there are things that we can discuss from there, instead of merely dismissing them 100%. But I guess I'm the only one who thinks this way, so.

personally I wouldn't mind discussing more about this tryhard comment if nothing more than to look at it as to see why it was even mentioned - okay we can sit here and say "they didn't even know what it meant" yet its used accurately for certain past winners of UPR....

Personally, I think that knetz use it in a way to say more Western - everytime I've seen it, its been used with the connotation that someone is trying to be more American etc. But did they mean it in a negative way? Or is used as a colloquialism the way I would use the phrase "dead" - is it a flexible phrase?

it is an interesting point and id kill for some interesting conversation on OH right now...

This is what I meant in my post. I love how you always gets me, Kayden. (I hope you can get married with Solar soon!)

I guess the comment indeed has that connotation.

And I figure people in the "Eastern" region (as opposed to the "West") live with the culture that if someone is being more western then they are condemned as being unfaithful to their own culture. This kind of thinking is so outdated for me and I just don't like it. That is why the comment is problematic because it may contain this kind of ideology.

I wish we will never see this kind of comment again. I don't care if the person means that as a compliment but if they bring this tryhard again, then it's their loss.

Edited by AbsoluteGarbage
  • Like 1

As someone who is from 'Eastern' as you say...yes, what you say as 'condemned as being unfaithful to their own culture' is right.

One thing to consider is, hmm...How should I explain this? While we can 'appreciate' Western culture, our own culture is too different from it. For example, as I am raised to be modest (and conservative) while Western is more - sorry if I offend anyone - open-minded, liberal, and express themselves freely, it's not something I just can do anytime anywhere because it is how I was raised.

This is also the same for Westerners, or we can just say Kpop fans (to put it simply) who can't grasp some things that Koreans hate, or love, or deem normal because that's how it is - it's their culture.

As for tryhard..

There's a female soloist from my country who had an ambition to enter America's music industry. Everyone mocked, taunted, and just straight bullied her for her dream.

Guess what? She succeeded after years of trying. While her music and style is too 'American' for me, I understand it as her way to make her path there. However, she never once forget her roots and always include a part of our culture in her MVs.

People began to change their opinions about her, saying that she is one of our nation's pride (after another international singer who mainly lived abroad now). Ofc there's still a handful of people who accused her as tryhard for being too 'Western'.

Welp, my post is all over the place.

I hope you can understand it :meow:

• Like 2

I think I brought the topic at the wrong time.

Besides, I already know about how negative Pann and NB can be, but there are things that we can discuss from there, instead of merely dismissing them 100%. But I guess I'm the only one who thinks this way, so.

This is what I meant in my post. I love how you always gets me, Kayden. (I hope you can get married with Solar soon!)

I guess the comment indeed has that connotation.

And I figure people in the "Eastern" region (as opposed to the "West") live with the culture that if someone is being more western then they are condemned as being unfaithful to their own culture. This kind of thinking is so outdated for me and I just don't like it. That is why the comment is problematic because it may contain this kind of ideology.

I wish we will never see this kind of comment again. I don't care if the person means that as a compliment but if they bring this tryhard again, then it's their loss.

that's the dream, my friend

As someone who is from 'Eastern' as you say...yes, what you say as 'condemned as being unfaithful to their own culture' is right.

One thing to consider is, hmm...How should I explain this? While we can 'appreciate' Western culture, our own culture is too different from it. For example, as I am raised to be modest (and conservative) while Western is more - sorry if I offend anyone - open-minded, liberal, and express themselves freely, it's not something I just can do anytime anywhere because it is how I was raised.

This is also the same for Westerners, or we can just say Kpop fans (to put it simply) who can't grasp some things that Koreans hate, or love, or deem normal because that's how it is - it's their culture.

As for tryhard..

There's a female soloist from my country who had an ambition to enter America's music industry. Everyone mocked, taunted, and just straight bullied her for her dream.

Guess what? She succeeded after years of trying. While her music and style is too 'American' for me, I understand it as her way to make her path there. However, she never once forget her roots and always include a part of our culture in her MVs.

People began to change their opinions about her, saying that she is one of our nation's pride (after another international singer who mainly lived abroad now). Ofc there's still a handful of people who accused her as tryhard for being too 'Western'.

Welp, my post is all over the place.

I hope you can understand it :meow:

yibyul - was that Charice? If its who Im thinking of then blesssss.....

my question here is... if Koreans view artists that market themselves to the international market as tryhards then can any kpop act truly succeed with the Korean public's approval into the "Western" music market without being unfaithful to their culture?

lets look at artists like Dean for example; his official debut was in the USA but I gather he's hella popular in SK too - his song was played a lot here in the UK and I think the USA... is it considered a slap to the face by knetizens for an artists to be a traditional idol then for them to release material that is more internationally mainstream (like western pop)....

I gather from stages like Solar's sexyback that actually mamamoo are incredibly good at it and would get the support but there will always be salty haters... when is it tryhard and when is it embracing the musicality of other genres?

• Like 1

i came here 2 spazz about the mv but i see yall r havin a srs discussion so i'll cum bak @ a bettr time wpyXLf7.gif

Edited by ChoAhjumma☕
  • Like 4

I agree with my fellow MooMoo's. I live in America but I'm not an American. A lot of people in America might call you fob or try hard too if you are too eastern. So, I think the tryhard meaning was referring to them acting "American". But, obviously, that's the entire point of the song and MV so that's why I personally didn't really bat my eye to it.

lol, I get pretty defensive about MMM so don't worry. You're just promoting a healthy discussion. 

i came here 2 spazz about the mv but i see yall r havin a srs discussion so i'll cum bak @ a bettr time wpyXLf7.gif

we can still spazz  :chu:

also, i love you (just thought you'd know that you have a fangirl) 

i was gonna cum here and spazz about the mv but i see yall r havin a srs discussion so i'll cum bak @ a bettr time wpyXLf7.gif

Don't let the discussion prevent you from doing your thing here. I didn't start this discussion to hog the entire thread.