Forums Rules Staff NEW Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
HimawariAmu

[Official Mamamoo Thread] MAMAMOO & MOOMOO Forever

Which universe you prefer?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Solar's universe you prefer?

• Princess
    • Boxer
    • Rockstar
  2. 2. Moonbyul's universe you prefer?

• Music video director
    • Choreographer
    • Entertainment CEO
  3. 3. Whee in's universe you prefer?

• Environmentalist
    • Painter
    • Indie artist
  4. 4. Hwasa's universe you prefer?

• Mother
    • Musical actor
    • President
  5. 5. Favorite MAMAMOO member?

• Solar
    • Moonbyul
    • Whee in
    • Hwasa
    • OT4

The thread has been slow lately, all the radishes lying in wait for RBW to drop something.

So I guess it's a good time to introduce myself before the thread explodes when we start gearing up for comeback.

Hello, fellow Moomoos, resident lurker Moomoo reporting.

200.gif

The first Mamamoo track and MV I listened to was Ahh Oop! (thanks to Mrjkpop) after that I watched all their MVs, Immortal Song performances, Weekly Idol... Well, you get the drift. I'm addicted now, there's no going back and I've premanently taken root in a quiet corner of the radish field. 

I'm typically always a lurker but I'm anticipating this comeback so much that I made an OH account. Melting really raised the bar and I can't wait to see what they will come up with this time. Idk how I will survive October (both Mamamoo and BTS are coming back). Please don't mind if I sporadically spazz on here because I won't be able to handle my feels  :rlytearpls:

So I might not post here very often but I will support these talented, amazing girls any way I can. Mamamoo and Moomoo, leggo!  :chu:

• Like 9

Since we're being honest here... 

I do love and enjoy Mamamoo's heavy retro tracks like Mr. Ambiguous and Piano Man. However, I don't really want them to return to a heavy retro concept and repeat what they have already done before. It's just my subjective preference but I'm never for an artist 100% repeating themselves or just constantly sticking with the same thing.

I personally can't really agree that Mamamoo has strayed away from a retro sound. Maybe that could be argued with UOAY (which still was a throwback to 90's synth pop, not some super-current EDM/Trap track), but certainly not with You're The Best (just listen to the instrumental). Their Melting album in general was full of retro sounds. Recipe is straight up electro swing.

I am not against them continuing to experiment with music styles from past decades as long as they enjoy it themselves and can re-invent it in a fresh and interesting way in both sound and visual style which, imo, is what they have been doing thus far.

If I would have to pick any sound I would like to see them execute as a full title track concept and they have not done up to now, I think I'd like a mature R&B concept. Something along the lines of their pre-debut release Don't Be Happy, but not a repetition of it.

Tbh, I'm not against them experimenting with any style because I trust RBW and Mamamoo to be able to put their own twist on it and make it their own. 

• Like 2

So I wanted to ask you guys a question: what do you prefer? A song that is a commercial success no matter if you don't like it, or a song that is not so popular but  you like A LOT. 

I very much want Mamamoo to have a long and successful career. An artist I like who grows and experiments with their sound might sometimes release something as a title track that I personally might not love. But if they are successful with that track and other people love it then that means they can continue to work and thrive in the music industry therefore the chances of them coming out with something that I personally like next time would be higher.

If a release does not align with my personal preference I would not consider that as an indicator that the music is objectively lacking in quality or that this indicates that an artist has abandoned their identity or 'sold-out'. I would be disappointed, yes, but I would not think less of the group for it. 

So the answer would be that I would prefer the song to be a success for them no matter if I don't like it. This has never happened with Mamamoo for me thus far so I guess I'm lucky in that regard.

As for Mamamoo's identity as a group, people certainly associate them the most with a retro sound. However, what I think of when I think of Mamamoo is first of all stage presence and live performance skills, then strong vocals and then bright personality. It is this, imho, that makes Mamamoo unique and successful. Other groups have done retro concepts and they have not always succeeded with them. So it is not retro alone that makes Mamamoo into Mamamoo. I think the unique ingredient in the Mamamoo recipe is not their particular style of music but rather the girls themselves, their talent and RBW's attention to quality in their production.

Personally, so far, whatever style Mamamoo have tried, I have always enjoyed it because they always give it their own flair. Their vocal group sound and personality always shines through for me.

Jus my two cents. I certainly don't mean to say that people would have no right not feel disappointed if Mamamoo suddenly does a 180 turn in style and you don't like the sound. Music is all subjective preference.  

Anyway, that was a lot of tl;dr.  :)

I kinda want RBW to release some comeback info already. Can't wait to see what they have planned for this time and whether the fandom speculation about an Alice in Wonderland concept will end up being true. I'm sure whatever direction they will go, it will knock me off my feet and take over my playlist.

EDIT: @YamaChan

Lol, I could have basically just quoted your much cleared and more concise post and put and Agree under it instead of typing up my wall of text. Oh, well, what's done is done.  :derp:  

Edited by LaRue
  • Like 1

It's interesting that fans think Mamamoo would be hindered by continuing to do retro concepts, when we've seen proof from the Wonder Girls (who have done retro concepts for years and whose biggest worldwide hits are retro concepts) that they could do just fine. "Retro" isn't a music or style genre, it just refers to style of music that was done in the past. So if Mamamoo does a glam rock concept, that'd still be retro. If they put out another Mariah Carey-in-the-90s song like Woo Hoo, that'd still be retro too. Heck, even 1CM which is being tossed around as a example against retro concepts is retro...that Dr.Dre/Eminem sound of rap was popular almost 20 years ago!

So I really want to push back against the implication that Mamamoo would have to stop doing retro concepts to maintain a fresh or different sound. 

I think when people think "retro" they automatically associate it with music from the 40's to 50's of the 20th century sort of that flapper or pin-up style. That's why UOAY was considered a departure from "retro" among the fans even though it's a throwback to the 90's and we're already in the second decade of the 21st century. Imo, what a lot of fans mean when they say retro is specifically the swing and jazz styles of music.

But I agree with your view that the concept of retro itself should not be limited to just a few decades of the 20th century and should be expanded to include all 100 years of very diverse music which then of course means that there is an opportunity for a lot of experimentation and difference in style and sound under the umbrella term retro. 

• Like 1

^^

:cry:

It's so close to comeback, I hope they're careful. It would be good if their coordi at least had a different pair of shoes handy for such cases, ones that are slipping proof.

I think this is the EO's fault for not ensuring the stage is safe for the artists.

However I have to agree with you that coordi should also consider another pair of shoes in this weather.

I agree it the EO's fault. I've dealt with EOs myself (not as a performed though) and you can rarely rely on everything being 100% organized perfectly and safely. I learned the hard way that it's best to prepare for everything yourself as much as possible.

I sound so bitter and mistrustful. That's why I need Mamamoo in my life so they can lighten up my cold, cynical heart. :rlytearpls:   

Oooh, Moonbyul with silver hair and Wheein back to dark hair. :ahmagah: On the fence about Hwasa's fringe but I'm sure she'll look great if it's styled a bit different. Wish they did smth with Solar's hair. I feel like it's been the same forever.

Anyway, this means the comeback is close! Please drop something next week, RBW.  

In honor of Moonbyul's glorious new hair I shall finally stop being lazy/shy and make a post here.

So, hey, hi, brand new Moomoo here - actually brand new kpop ~fan~ tbh - ready to be slayed by the comeback. :)

Welcome!  

Since you're new to kpop, how did you find out about Mamamoo? :)

Hahahaha

Well, long story short, I was watching a video on youtube and I saw that one of the recommended videos was a kpop one which was very random but since I was looking for any excuse to not study I decided to watch it bc why not?

And then almost all the comments on it were about Moonsun (lol), so I was curious (#exposed) and eventually ended up watching their 'Wonderful Confession' performance and the rest is history.

3 weeks later and I am quite literally obsessed.

Haha, you got Moonsunned. Well, I hope you have a great time in the radish field! If you have not yet, check out Mamamootrans - they have subbed literally everything Mamamoo related.

• Like 1

I found this too funny 

Look at this Hyegi scratching her head coz of what seems to be a wig

Lately, Mamamoo is on a wig spree. I'm anticipating.

Now that I've read all the posts and pondered the comeback a bit I've decided what would really kill me this time around.

Grand, Broadway sound (thanks @Aes for that suggestion) + a mature take on the Alice in Wonderland concept.  

I would still love them to tackle an r&b concept at some point but Broadway is a much better fit for Alice in Wonderland.  

• Like 1

Question for those with more experience.  Does it seem like this comeback is happening sooner than you'd expect compared to other groups historically?  

Not that I'm complaining, I eagerly anticipate this comeback.  It just seems that after a successful summer and record-breaking concert, they would take a little time, you know?  I wouldn't want them to work off what little butts they have left.  :hehe:

Hi and welcome! We are all anticipating the comeback though no one still has any idea when the drop date is (fan speculation was October 21, but that seems unlikely now).

To answer your question or rather share my opinion on it - Mamamoo is a relatively new group in the industry so more than one comeback during the year is by no means unusual.

Melting promotions were back in March. It may seem like they have not had time off because they have been to many events, concerts, festivals, had their first solo concert but from bits and pieces the girls have said here and there it does seem like they have actully had some time for themselves, went back to their hometowns etc.. Added to that, the girls themselves have said before that they like working and keeping busy.

UOAY + Immortal Songs appearances made the public notice them and after that they had a very successful comeback with You're the Best. Now they are one of the top current trending girl groups with public recognition and a quickly growing fandom, but imho they have not yet fully solidified their position in the industry (it has been only a little over 2 years since their debut). Would I like them to rest? In the end that decision is not up to me - it's up to the girls and the company. I trust the girls when they say they like working and I trust RBW to not repeat isolated past mistakes and take care of them. They have been doing a good job with that so far this year. 

So in short, if Mamamoo says they want to come back my bank account will receive them with open arms.  :happy:

Edited by LaRue
  • Like 4

It's almost mid october.... please tell me we have a comeback date. Please, I beg you... [emoji24]

They've already filmed the MV so it can't be long now. I'm waiting for the teaser images and MV teaser to be revealed. We will probably get a date then.

Are we still hopeful the comeback will be this month? Getting close to mid-October and there's nothing just yet. The suspense is ruining me.

I'm still hopeful. I just have this feeling like everything is prepared behind the scenes and they will drop it on us out of nowhere. It will be sudden death.

I won't really pass judgement on why the accident happened and whether it was due to tiredness or rushing. We simply do not have detailed information. Sometimes shit happens in life. I am just glad that the girls were uninjured and hopefully any staff traveling with them are fine as well.

At this rate I would prefer them not to rush the comeback though.

• Like 4

I think it's perfectly understandable to be worried about the girls and to be pissed off at RBW for not informing fans properly. But I think snap judgements should not be made either.

As I stated previously, we do not know the details of the accident, we do not know how the girls felt afterwards or who insisted on still trying to make the schedule happen - was it the staff or the girls themselves?

We do not even know whether RBW asked Solar to write an apology for not making the schedule or whether she wanted to do that herself as the leader of Mamamoo (SK culture of hardwork and always doing your duty is no joke, for better or for worse, it's nowhere near as relaxed as in the West). We may never know and some might say that in absence of information it's safest to assume the worst but I don't like that kind of speculation. 

I understand fan concern and we as fans should definitely express that because it keeps the company on its toes. RBW did not handle this well, which caused anger and speculation among fans, but I don't think they should be nailed to the cross just yet. 

• Like 5

Its normal to the fans to coodle the girls and react since they are quite overworked. Perhaps cause they are on the rise. I've also noticed that despite that they house many acts they are rarely promote other acts?? Anyways RBW is a company and they care for the most part about money

Indeed a company would care about money for the most part. But RBW has been pretty smart about its ways to make it. By now Mamaoo is not RBW's only or even main source of income. You can read an interesting article about it here http://www.mamamoo-trans.com/post/146802686728/eng-trans-small-companys-rebellion-mamamoos

I'd like to believe that RBW is in it with Mamamoo for the long haul, not the quick buck. In view of that it is in the interest of their business to take care of Mamamoo properly because these girls are right now their most valuable asset in shaping their brand publicly.

However, it is obvious that RBW still has some growing pains to go through regarding its PR management.

Edited by LaRue
  • Like 3
  • Dislike 1

Well, we can't expect everyone to hold hands and sing 1cm Taller than You around a campfire, but at least we can try and be civil towards each other.

And we really should not neg people in this thread just because we disagree with someone's opinion. This thread has been really great thus far as a place where we can lay out different opinions and agree to disagree. Please, let's keep it like that? What happens in other threads should not be brought over here.

Edited by LaRue
  • Like 6

Who thinks we're getting an album/mini-album (not single) cover art actually showing all MAMAMOO this time??  :imstupid:  :imstupid:

I personally don't think so. I've liked the consistency of their cover art. As a matter of fact we could speculate on the color theme that might be used... :donthinkso:

Showing them should be kept for an ultimate album comeback or something bigger I think..

I'd be surprised if they suddenly went with a group picture album cover. Not that I would mind it, but I rather like the simple but bold graphics of their album covers up to know.

Maybe they could do a mix of the two though? Like during KCON in NY they had this intro montage where there were silhouettes of them on the screen. An album cover with their silhouettes could look nice. 

Btw, I think I saw you in the BT*S thread. Are you a fellow ArmyMoomoo?

tumblr_ofimvh45ZK1v037i9o9_540.jpg

tumblr_ofimvh45ZK1v037i9o5_540.jpg

tumblr_ofimvh45ZK1v037i9o6_540.jpg

:lub:

tumblr_ofimvh45ZK1v037i9o3_540.jpg

tumblr_ofimvh45ZK1v037i9o9_540.jpg

tumblr_ofimvh45ZK1v037i9o1_540.jpg

tumblr_ofimvh45ZK1v037i9o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_ofimvh45ZK1v037i9o4_500.jpg

tumblr_ofimvh45ZK1v037i9o7_540.jpg

tumblr_ofimvh45ZK1v037i9o10_540.jpg

Press pics from the Busan One Asia Festival found on mmm-smukk18.tumblr

Edited by LaRue
  • Like 9

Doesn't Moonbyul's contest end tomorrow? Maybe that means we're going to get a teaser image very soon?

Please let this be true.

tumblr_mye0jgYPED1sxbosyo1_400.gif

And we have a song title! :la:

I'm really intrigued now about what the concept might look like. I wonder if the MV will use some aesthetics actually found in artworks that employed the technique. If you google it, some really interesting and sometimes even a bit creepy looking images come up as technique was used by some surrealists. The really colourful ones look quite psychedelic. 

Now to wait fot the MV teaser to drop.

Edited by LaRue

Hi, fellow Moomoos, I'm writing to you from the afterlife. Lots of radishes here so it's not lonely at all. Those concept pics killed me and then Hwasa's teaser put the nail in the coffin. I'm sure when the actual comeback hits I am going to ascend to a better place.

I said that I would love an Alice in Wonderland concept combined with a Broadway sound but this sultry, classy, super sensual comeback? Yeah, please sign me up.

Mamamoo always exceeds my expectations and somehow manages to give me exactly what I want even though it did not even occur to me beforehand that this was what I wanted. I'm counting down the days until the MV and the mini album drop.

Hats off to the girls and RBW. 

giphy.gif

• Like 5

Nice to see that they are continuing the tradition of being involved in the lyrics writing of their title tracks. UOAY also has Solar, Moonbyul and Hwasa in the writing credits and YTB has Solar and Moonbyul.  :)

They have been getting more and more involved with each release and that's one of the reasons watching their progress as a fan is so interesting.