Forums Rules Staff NEW Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
HimawariAmu

[Official Mamamoo Thread] MAMAMOO & MOOMOO Forever

Which universe you prefer?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Solar's universe you prefer?

• Princess
    • Boxer
    • Rockstar
  2. 2. Moonbyul's universe you prefer?

• Music video director
    • Choreographer
    • Entertainment CEO
  3. 3. Whee in's universe you prefer?

• Environmentalist
    • Painter
    • Indie artist
  4. 4. Hwasa's universe you prefer?

• Mother
    • Musical actor
    • President
  5. 5. Favorite MAMAMOO member?

• Solar
    • Moonbyul
    • Whee in
    • Hwasa
    • OT4

Always love his analysis, I feel it makes me appreciate a song much better ;) And this guy is a moomoo isn't he? He's definitely more hyper in the mamamoo analysis as compared to other artistes.

Same, he was the reason I got into Mamamoo in the first place since I don't really care much for pop music at all (except for like, the Beatles and Beach Boys, but you know what I mean). I was looking for production technique assessments and analyses of mixing and mastering in pop songs because I wanted to know why kpop vocals are usually mixed in a very specific way, and I stumbled upon his videos on Mamamoo, made the grown up adult decision to binge watch his videos and eventually ended up here. (and then I discovered Moonsun but that's a completely different story)

• Like 5

So weird. I found out maybe 30% of OH Moomoos are like this. Like, you don't care about the pretty faces and stage performances? I'm kind of in b/w. I didn't start listening to American pop (more a fan of OST and musicals), but got into classic Jpop more in college (all the musicians/artists are way older than me).

I could probably write several paragraphs about why kpop could be appealing to people like me who barely ever listened to pop music, but it would most likely be REALLY boring.

Update: I did end up writing, like, five paragraphs, and they did in fact end up really boring, so I deleted them.

But to answer your question: I do care about pretty faces since I'm a straight dude (and Solar is basically a ray of sunshine and happiness), and I care about all live performances that don't use backing tracks, especially since they're great singers and Moonbyul is an okay rapper.

Are you watching his production videos that he's doing now?

For me it's always about the music first and then the personalities. Like, no matter how much I might like the personalities of certain people or groups, if their music isn't great I'm not going to pay attention to them very much. In fact, since I started listening to kpop in 2011 or 2012, there are only four groups which I've liked enough to bother to learn the names of all the members. Those groups are Big Bang, 2NE1, BTS, and Mamamoo. And FWIW, this is also true for me of other music too. I know Pentatonix really well. I know Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band really well. Not many others.

I suspect that most of it is because I'm quite a bit older than kpop (and pop for that matter) artists. (I'm old enough to have watched the Berlin Wall fall and to have seen the Tianamen Square Massacre on tv . . .).

Live performances are important too, but I listen to so much music that unless a live performance is really spectacular I probably won't listen or watch it if it's not from one of a handful of my favorite artists. 

I am watching, yes! It's not anything I didn't know before, but it's great to have all the basic stuff condensed into a well-explained video as a point of reference. Hopefully the next videos in the series will be just as informative.

For me personally, it's way more about the personalities when it comes to kpop, since it's just not my cup of tea musically speaking. There are kpop songs that I like obviously, like Words Don't Come Easy or 1cm or Piano Man, or stuff like RV's Automatic. They're good songs and I enjoy them, it's just not something that I would listen to on a daily basis/out of context (the context here being the group and their personalities). And there's nothing wrong with that, it's just a different approach to music.

In contrast, I have absolutely no clue what the members of most of my favourite rock bands even look like, but it doesn't matter at all, because the context there is the songs/albums themselves. Am I making sense? That being said, if a band is comprised of absolute melonheads, I'll probably be put off as well. You won't find me listening to Lostprophets songs. (I wasn't really planning to, but they're really great to use as an example in this context)

• Like 2

I get it about the personalities. That's what turned me into huge fans of both BTS and Mamamoo. But it's always about the music too. If both groups didn't release such great music I wouldn't have been interested enough to learn about them and their personalities. 

Is the difference here because of the language barrier? Like if kpop artists sung all in English would that make a difference for you about the music vs personalities? 

I get why people don't necessarily want to get completely into kpop because they don't understand what they're saying, but for me if the music is good I don't need to know the lyrics. I can always look them up later. 

I think the language barrier is actually the reason why I hadn't dismissed kpop at all in the first place. That way I can imagine the lyrics to be whatever I want them to be, and even if I read the translation of a song, I can still manipulate the wording etc. since translations can only ever capture the general meaning of something when it comes to song lyrics, not the actual phrasing, delivery, and all the other stuff.

What I do like about Mamamoo lyrics is what they did in 1cm - it was fun, honest, relatable, and personal at the same time. They wrote about an experience inherently unique to them (or at least the way they approach their height differences) while at the same time making it relatable, since who doesn't make fun of their friends in one way or another. (In a good way. Don't be a mean person) I wish they could do that for every song - write about their own personal experiences unique to them without being vague or generic. But they're in the pop industry, so it's understandable, the lyrics have to be the way they are for "serious" songs or else they wouldn't do well.

NO!!! :cry:

You'll never know. I think I'll be interested at the 5 paragraphs!

As an individual, maybe each person doesn't have that many interesting things to say about a Kpop artist one way or the other. But I feel that as a whole, there are so many things we can discuss together, and make this interesting. You certainly know something, maybe just pure music/pretty idol I would miss. So I'd want to check out stuffs you share.

Since you mentioned great singer and the sunshine... Solar on Masked Singer was good, because she said she wanted to respond to all the mention of her. But I kind of feel that appearance was still an underrepresent of Mamamoo. Made me wonder is Hwasa and Wheein should give it a go. They are World class, though, so it's more an afterthought for them now.

Moonbyul is a good rapper. I know there are a few supertalented rappers in America who can write songs like crazy and move you like feel your dead mama (just metaphor), but Moonbyul can sing alright too. She's also really pretty. Need more love. :chu:

Frankly, I think Solar, Hwasa, and Wheein should all enter every single singing show they can find because they obviously know how to sing and can do it very, very successfully. This could also help establish all of them individually as good singers for when they're too old to be marketable as a girl group, so that they don't end up as simply "that girl that was in that one girl group when she was young."

Moonbyul is a good rapper, she just needs to be able to feel the beat a bit more and she'll be great (I'm not sure if this makes sense). Honestly, if anything, I think she should sing way more. She'd be a great addition to the Mamamoo harmony squad with her lower register and she's not a bad singer by any means.

But when I think of female Korean rappers, I think of someone like CL, or LE, or maybe even Yezi. Or you know what, even Kasper, if she stopped underutilizing herself, got more confident in her rapping and stopped trying to be hardcore, since she's basically an adorable kitten.

If this was in the 70s maybe. Back then singers needed to do hosting or alternative jobs to keep themselves going. But these days Kpop managed to make a solo within the girlgroup coexist and profit well enough to keep them on the music scene. SNSD and BEG came to mind. Mamamoo are just supertalented. I won't worried about them NOT establishing individual members for now.

Oh yeah, right now, absolutely. But SNSD and BEG are still going. I meant like, in 20 years. While worrying about the future is not something anyone should do ever, it wouldn't hurt in general to get as many gigs as possible, because why not.

• Like 1

OFFTOPIC, but how could I ignore ALL the signatures?

You see, I'm at work and I don't want to draw attention while I'm ... you know..."working". There's just too many shiny colourful girls in my screen. I can`t hide that from my boss.

I tried hitting the X at the top of each signature, but for whatever reason it doesn't seem to work.

Profile settings ->Ignore all signatures when reading topics and personal messages.

First thing I do when I join any forum, it declutters the pages significantly.

-Question How can I properly link twitter post: I can't seem to figure out.

Use the following format:

Click here to view the Tweet

Or press the Special BBCode button (to the left of font selection), select Tweet (not Twitter) and there you go.

Eric Nam trying his best:

Solar's handwriting:

VSEt7vE.png

• Like 3

BTW, i just came across this cover by Mamamoo, it's New York, New York (originally by Frank Sinatra) and what the hell? have i been living under the rock or something? why did i find out about this just now? this cover needs some spotlight, seriously, it's so good. i'd appreciate if anyone can link me a better fancam of this, pretty please, i'm in love with this performance.

This is lovely! One of my favourite Sinatra songs as well.

My Internet sleuthing leads me to believe this was at 150528 KEPCO Hope Love Sharing but I have no idea whether other fancams exist.

I'm a bit conflicted about the Showtime news. On the one hand, great, Mamamoo on Showtime. On the other hand, they're sharing the slot with Gfriend (there's nothing wrong with Gfriend, but imagine if it was Red Velvet though, good lord they deserve a show like this). The problem is that if they're e.g. alternating episodes then at least they can be themselves a bit more, but at the cost of neither group getting enough coverage (unless they somehow extend the season). If they're literally spending time together then that means more on screen time at the cost of toned down interactions.

• Like 4

moomoos I was whatching today's wheein fancam and this happened, my poor wheein : ( Looks like she almost fainted or her earpiece did something :  ( she looked very uncomfortable after that I'm scared...

It's probably just earpiece feedback, nothing to really worry about. A loud noise for a second or two (mostly due to dodgy wiring somewhere) and that's it.

• Like 1

Mamamoo‘s agency selected as outstanding venture of the year

RBW Entertainment, home agency of four-member girl group Mamamoo, was selected as one of the outstanding venture firms in 2016 on Tuesday by the Korea Venture Business Administration, an advocacy group representing local venture companies.

The entertainment agency, established in 2013, has grown in three years to a medium-sized enterprise of 40 employees.

“We are happy to hear the news,†said Kim Jin-woo, head of RBW Entertainment. “(RBW Entertainment) will stay committed to be in line with the government’s efforts to create jobs.â€

http://kpopherald.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=201606211630370952930_2

• Like 4

what???

chungha will be near my ultimate bias? dare i dream sinb will be near my babies too?

i cant function. ima search twitter for receipts

Weren't IOI announced to be performing at the Moosical as well? That might have happened when OH was down so it probably wasn't posted.

But Woo Hoo is under different distributor, like Peppermint Chocolate is (the MV is on 1theK) so I doubt it will be included in the album. Besides it's a cf song, not an OST like Girl Crush.

Other than that, I quite agree with you.

Woo Hoo was released on basically the same terms as Girl Crush - a joint release between RBW and the other company (in this case LG). The restrictions vary per agreement, I think Girl Crush cannot be distributed on iTunes as part of the album because of revenue shares etc. It might be included as a hidden track, but it is a phone ad after all. Who knows.