Forums Rules Staff Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
HimawariAmu

[Official Mamamoo Thread] MAMAMOO & MOOMOO Forever

Which universe you prefer?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Solar's universe you prefer?

• Princess
    • Boxer
    • Rockstar
  2. 2. Moonbyul's universe you prefer?

• Music video director
    • Choreographer
    • Entertainment CEO
  3. 3. Whee in's universe you prefer?

• Environmentalist
    • Painter
    • Indie artist
  4. 4. Hwasa's universe you prefer?

• Mother
    • Musical actor
    • President
  5. 5. Favorite MAMAMOO member?

• Solar
    • Moonbyul
    • Whee in
    • Hwasa
    • OT4

Good news that about new material on March-April, it seems Kim Do Hoon has already something prepared for them... especially if it's an album and not just a single - that's pretty quick and a lot of work to be done in such a short time if you ask me. Probably a mini album at most since already recording (+production) of a couple of songs, making an MV, preparing choreo will have to be a really tight timetable...

Edited by bergomi1

I was thinking yesterday (since I'm already obsessed by Mamamoo for a couple of weeks now)... it's more a question for those longtime kpoppers... did it already happen before that a kpop group as a whole (meaning all members) was invited to Immortal song? I mean, it's probably natural to invite a soloist or a band or 1 to 2 vocalists from a kpop group, but a whole group?

This might be a bit early to ask BUT if 1 day a subunit of both of them to be created called, Moon&Sunshine (as Solar wanted), I wonder what kind of sound/genre they will show us?  :smile:

My 2 cents: Most probably something with strong rap influence, since when asked on Sketchbook Moonbyul said she'd really want to work with Verbal Jint and Solar with Sam D (because she said she really likes hiphop, and this was quite a surprise for me - maybe being so much with Moonbyul is having it's effects haha). Well, this was on August so maybe something changed meanwhile, but most probably I think the two of them would make some rap / r&b music and I hope more in the funky way since both of them don't seem to inclined to negative/melancholice songs...

• Like 1

I think the program in that first video is something separate from what the members of Mamamoo went through. That program seems to be a similar thing to what SM was doing with SM Academy where people paid (a lot) to get the idol trainee experience without actually being a real trainee under a contract. 

But I think it's the companies who sign the trainees who pay for Rainbowbridge's training. Of course that'll probably be money that companies will claim that they need to make up before making a profit. 

They definitely knew each other before Rainbowbridge. They attended the same vocal schoolbefore going to Rainbow Bridge. Also even before that they seemed to have known each other and performed together as students at school.

The folks at Rainbowbridge seems to ride their trainees very hard.

I'm not sure of the timing, but if it was early enough then the issue with Moonbyul losing weight may have been with Rainbowbridge and not WAEnt. But Hwa Sa's issue with having to lose weight as apparently very close to debut so it seems like it was WAEnt telling her to lose weight. 

Here's a video of Moonbyul and Solar going through evaluation at Rainbow Bridge. 

Wow this thread is gold! @Sparkilene thanks for all this info on predebut time... really appreciate it! It's some really interesting things, some I knew already but you're an Mamamoo encyclopedia... :lub:

Meanwhile I don't think it was posted already but, Wha Sa in the interview has a new person with whom she'd like to make a collabo it seems:  :shock:

B6egGVkCcAAFpWt.jpg:large

Edited by bergomi1
  • Like 1

Just listened again to Don't be Happy... maaan... the instrumental is awesome - even the swing finish is awesome, I'd really like to hear a complete song of that sometime.

Practicallly almost all (at least all my favorite (Peppermint, Piano Man, Don't Be Happy)) songs of Mamamoo have really well made instrumentals. I'm still waiting for my album to arrive by post, but could please somebody check for me who produced the beats for all the songs on the 1st mini "Hello"? It's all done by Kim Do Hoon?

Edited by bergomi1
  • Like 1

Thank you! Aaah, the Esna and Kim Do Hoon duo is a strong influence. I especially hear now distinctively Esna's sound (which works I'm now checking out) in their style... nice, it's a really good combination.

Edited by bergomi1

Niiiiiice!!!

Really a nice collection, this should be shared to all MMM fans... :)

btw I just checked Whee In's Lay it Down on youtube ... and holy shit this girl dances!!! I knew that she's good since there's a reason she's the lead, but seeing her drop those moves, even If I don't know much about dance I can see she's really, really good. ...then I read the commentaries and saw that she danced a part of a choreo of some super quality japanese dance group and how complex it is... just astounding.

I think I just finally concluded it's impossible I will ever have a bias in this group - there's too much all around awesomness.

Edited by bergomi1

Wow! Now today there was a bunch of good news from Mamamoo... first the superdorky maknae duo delivering good vibes with the 4th MMMTV ep... and now this news that we'll get Hwa Sa's double dose every week... life as a Moomoo's good :datass:

I just checked and Mr. Ambiguouos is on 1mil 100k already and Pianoman on 930k - both are going on a crazy pace of 30k cca. views per day, meaning Pianoman will probably reach 1 mil too just one day before Mamamoo appear on Immortal song... I think 10.1. will be a nice day for Mamamoo  :lub:

It seems intl fans are growing (thanks to the MMMtv and the lives most probably)... does anybody know how's it going with Mamamoo popularity with Kfans?

It's hard to know anything definitively, but I'd say for now they are doing well! I've heard from a couple of people that their songs get played in Korea a lot like on the streets and things. That's one measure of how well a song is known. 

I think the mustaches have helped brand them a lot. On instagram there's lots of Korean people who may not even necessarily be Mamamoo fans, but anytime they post something with a mustache they tag Mamamoo because it reminds them of MMM. That's a plus. 

Compared to other rookie girl groups, their fanbase may not be as big or have as many fansites and things, but they are the most praised for their talent and songs from other K-Pop fans and sunbaes alike. 

So what I'd say is, out of the 2014 rookie girl groups, they probably have the most popularity with the general public. 

Thanks for this info, it's really nice to read that they're appreciated. For me it's really interesting how they are slowly, but steadily increasing their popularity. I think this is the best way for them,... to just go in it for the long run.

I have to disagree with you about the rapping I think it's: Moon Byul, Hwa Sa, Whee In, Solar

I think Hwa Sa is better than CL because she knows how to share the stage with the other members and not take up the whole stage and make the other members seem like back ups and she's better vocally than CL

I don't think we can compare dancing ability because Moon Byul hasn't shown her dancing skills as much as Whee in has

I agree about rapping. At least as of what I heard up until now.

Regarding dancing (about which I don't know much :) ), it's hard to compare Moonbyul and Whee In. I agree we have to see some more Moonbyul (but I get the feeling she's more of a laid back dancer with good ideas, meanwhile Whee In is really sharp executioner...). But I don't think Solar is the worst out of the four...in my opinion, Hwa Sa is the last one. At least in terms of choreographed dancing. She sometimes spaces out a little and forgets a step here and there but on the other hand she covers it up perfectly with her sensual (or sexy) moves where she easily grabs your attention. Choreo dances are not her best suit, but If (or better to say) when she'll do a ballad or a soulish song - there she'll probably shine the most, since her she has those seductive moves and looks that come to her just naturally (as opposed to a loooot of other girls in kpop who always have an aura of fakeness around them).

Edited by bergomi1

I say high notes because they are all sopranos and I think their low notes and middle register is pretty on par with each other (Solar's low notes are the best though), so that left the high notes (which play quite significant parts in their singing, too) to compare. I don't know why you think that Wheein is the weaker vocalist, like what aspect in her singing that she lacks compared to Hwa Sa? Let's take these two covers as example:

I might be in the minority, but personally I think Hwa Sa did the worst out of the 3 in this cover. She sings a lot in head voice and her head voice is sooo airy. She has trouble with transition from mixed voice to head voice (1:40), which made the flow disrupted. Also I hope she changes her habit of making those low grunts because it's not a healthy vocalization technique. In the same song, you can see Wheein did much more smoother and free-flowing register transition (2:23). 

This All of Me cover, again, confirms it for me that Solar is the strongest singer and Hwa Sa either had an off day or just seemed to sacrifice her techniques for some weird vocal styling. From 1:47 to 2:00 she literally sang through her nose. Throughout the performance, she couldn't keep her tonality consistent and her adlibs at 3:27 was very uncontrolled and random. 

I completely agree with this. I do think exactly the same when comparing these three. Especially about Hwa Sa, no matter how much I really like her, I agree completely about the details you mentioned.. Solar for me is the by far the most stable, consistent and smooth of all three.

It's really interesting to see that we can practically compare 3/4 of a group vocally and actually talk which one is better where the deciding factors are almost detailed comparisons of their live performances. I wonder how many other groups have this sort of talks about them haha ... Mamamoo are definitely a powerhouse! :)

Edited by bergomi1

Well, I'm not scared because I don't expect them win awards... I want them to increase the strengthen their position and love of the fans, that really love them and support them, to increase their sales and get even more recognition as the best (or one of the best) around. The awards can come later... (when everybody knows who IS the best performer, you don't need "popularity/marketing" awards... instead that recognition becomes the award itself)

...I'm more intrigued by the question - will they stick with this retro style or will they try something different? I'd really like them to keep this style they have now, where the songs are relaying on "old genres" as Motown jazzy/ soul/ r&b/ funk/ swing etc... elements.

Edited by bergomi1

Wow... this performance was brilliant! As you said already, that's Mamamoo... they put their timbre on the song and you can feel them. That's them, the vocals, the energy, their licks, their adlibs, the way they hype the public,... can't wait to see the whole episode :-)

Meanwhile... trending #1 on NAVER:

B6-wi2LCAAAv_-e.png

I think I read on Twitter that they won 2 rounds before losing in the third one against a legend... so yeah, they didn't do well, they did fantastic for "rookies"... :-)

Omg MoonByul's outfit and rap was on point!!!

Yeah, you're right. Moonbyul is surprising me with almost every live now. I don't know if nonrap fans realize how much more difficult it is to rap over instrumentals that are so imposing powerful and don't have those classic breakbeat rhythms, yet Moonbyul rides the beat with her flow almost perfectly every time. She changes up the flow to keep things fresh, too. If she just finds a way to end them a little more smoothly then the usual talking finish, she will be perfect.

• Like 1

I agree with everything but I was thinking the way she starts and finishes her raps could be kinda like her signature and indicative of her style?

I didn't think it was neccassarily a bad quality

Well, yeah, it could be her style - I tought so too in the beginning, but then I noticed it a couple of more times and it's bothering me a little, but that can be just me you know. If others, like you, find it cool, then it means it works despite my remark ;-) In the end what matters is, that Moonbyul is already now, easily, one of the best girl rappers in kpop. She has her own, distinct style that sets her apart from other girls and despite Mamamoo having 3 vocal powerhouses, she is never outshined, she keeps on par with all of them and almost always one of the most praised. So, yeah, she's essential to the Mamamoo style :-)

Laughing at the people in the thread that was just made saying that Moon Byul was useless.

Where is this thread? On their cafe?

------------------

some more comments by netizens:

this time from netizenbuzz, some more comments (all with a lot of praise :stare: ):

Article: 'Immortal Song' Mamamoo, a scary rookie that even intimidates seniors

Source: TV Report via Naver

1. [+3,436, -98] This is what I'd call a true singer girl group... Mamamoo can't even be called idols because they're so far removed from the concept

2. [+2,935, -78] The best in terms of talent out of the current idols... Other girl groups all have lackluster talent aside from that one main vocalist

3. [+2,313, -56] Caught them on TV randomly and was impressed by their singing. Left quite an impression. I wish them more luck.

4. [+2,247, -73] They're finally getting some spotlight ã… ã… ã… ã… ã… ã… ã…  I remember downloading every single song off of their albums, they're awesome singers ã… ã… ã… 

5. [+199, -5] If idols want to call themselves singers, please consider if you're up to Mamamoo's standards. Idols who sell their faces and bodies to make up for their lack of vocal talent are performers, not singers.

6. [+182, -8] Mamamoo and Spica are indeed good singers

7. [+186, -21] If you take Eunji out of A Pink, they're all poor singers, barely even up to par with any average non-celebrity. They're focused on looking pretty without any talent. Mamamoo has it all, they're scary rookies indeed.

8. [+159, -23] Unlike other girl groups like Girls Day, SNSD, or KARA, every single member of this group are good singers. They're what I would call a true girl group..
Edited by bergomi1

I agree with you... I just want to add a little more to this debate:

One of the stereotypes they're breaking, and is even more important, is that they don't need fixed roles where they'd excel only in that and would be useless in everything else. All of them can easily cover at least 2 others with practically the same quality. So the "roles" with Mamamoo are just a formality for new fans, until they discover that's just theory with this group (as opposed to most of the other groups)...

Solar = Whee in (vocal) & Hwa Sa (dance)

Whee In = Moonbyul (dance) & Solar (vocal)

Hwa Sa = Moonbyul (rap,lyrics) & Solar (vocal)

Moonbyul = Hwa Sa (rap,lyrics) & Whee In (dance)

There are even more combinations, but I just wanted to prove a simple point...

Edited by bergomi1
  • Like 1

well, they're just too good... it could pass as being rude XD 

Nice! I thought they'd hit 1 mil even earlier. :-) That's their second song with over 1mil,... and even Peppermint Chocolate is not so far behind on 873k. I think the MMMTv (over 250k views only for the groupdances vid) and IS2 (cca. 150k with 2 videos in 3 days) helped a lot with keeping Mamamoo relevant even after finishing the promotions. 

I hope they'll get something to do for the next couple of months to keep this interest going.

Going through the fancafe and I'm just going to post a bunch of photos that I found

5utGqfn.jpg

^ I want to send this to waent stylists with a note on why they should probably go up a dress size and tailor the waist and bust area for hwasa's costumes...

Oh my goood... Hwa Sa is going to be the death of me, first I fell for her thighs/legs, now... dat ass  :derp: :lub:  :lub:  :lub:

...probably the first korean girl I see with an ass that can be called one. This girl is hot... I hope she knows it (and doesn't listen to korean standards of beuty) and stays like she is!

• Like 1

That stupid article about Inkigayo performance with upskirt shot emerge again? Smh

luckily, the netz backed them up and blamed the cameraman

What upskirt article? Can you guys explain this a little more please?

Very big, and this thread on this forum helped with it a little bit a while ago ;)  Oh and it of course has to do with Mamamoo.

"At first you picked my curiosity, now you have my attention..."

Can't wait to see what it is...   :ahmagah:

EDIT: WAEnt just updated their schedule and it looks like Mamamoo has been invited back to Immortal Songs!

They'll be recording on the 26th! 

I know I said a bunch of times, one of the reasons why I wanted them on Immortal Songs was because I was hoping they would kill and be invited back a few times. So I'm very happy right now.  :ahmagah:  :ahmagah:

YEEEEESSSSS!!! Just checked this topic to see why 3 pages of posts were written... and first I get the FANTASTIC news that mrjkpop made a 25 min interview with them :shock:  ...and now I see they'll be on Immortal Songs AGAIN!!!  :lub:  :lub: :lub:  

Folks you just made my day a lot a better!!! Such a nice bunch of Moomoos you are!